Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you Value your pet?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Funny this thread should be started tonight, Just got back from the Blue Cross getting my kitten his injections and there was a woman there with her own cat, we were chatting while queuing and she was telling me she is homeless the last 7 years and has lived on the streets and in various hostels (the current one she has been in the last year), her cat has no ears because it had cancer so had to have them removed and all this happened while she was homeless so she had to runaround everywhere trying to get treatment for it while, at times, trying to find a roof over their heads and get this, the cat is 21 years old. I couldn't believe that all that crap is going on in her live and still her cat is one of her primary concerns. Seriously you could just tell by looking at her how important the cat is to her. My oldests cat is only 3 years old and I love her to bits, she is like my shadow but I can't imagine how strong the bond between will be if she lives to 21 or how gutted that woman will be when her cat passes away. I'd imagine it will be like losing a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Is that him in your avatar? :)

Indeed it is, the little Dude monster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Woshy wrote: »
    Where are you located? You probably don't need to quarantine at all if you go through the UK. As I said, we brought out cat from NZ via Heathrow and loads of places have agreements with the uk. He got signed off there and then as UK/irl have free movement of animals we just brought him on the ferry to Dublin.

While we were waiting to pick up the cat, pets came in from Aus, America, Canada and Grenada - no quarantine needed :)

It's a Rabies quarantine afaik.Some countries don't have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Any vet reading this thread would have Euro signs in his/her eyes. Anyone that spends 5k on a cat would want their head examined unless they have more money than sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

kneemos wrote: »
    It's a Rabies quarantine afaik.Some countries don't have it.

It's worth you looking into anyway - we had to vaccinate the cat for rabies a certain length of time before we left and then there was no quarantine.

We had to go via the UK though and have him cleared there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

This country is f**king mad, €200 for drinking water no way! €5000 for a cat's leg no prob WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

FFS. A job for Fleet Admiral and the steel toe cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Paid 1800 for my cat's back leg. Leg healed perfectly and he got another 5 brilliant years out of it. Worth every penny.

Mind you I got pet insurance as soon as they would insure him after!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

My parents don't see animals the way myself and my brothers do, it is sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Ruu wrote: »
    Spent a small fortune on a foster cat that we were looking after a few yeas back. She had a tough start to life but we got her eating again, nearly ready for adoption but got sick again. After exhausting every other avenue, we had to let go. Would happily do it again for the other two are taking up my chair so I have to stand. :p

:D My husband regularly stands to watch football or work on the PC cos one of our cats has claimed the computer chair for herself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They can become for many people(inc myself) like another member of the family. Stands to reason. In many ways the history of modern humans is very closely tied to the history of domestication/pets. First it was dogs. Which was one helluva stretch at the time; "here Ug. What Og? I reckon we should bring one of those huge snarly howly huge fcukers with teeth into the family, they're cuddly. Og, you need fcukin sectioning you do, your missus will never go for it and she's dead bleedin right". :D But we were quids in, they helped us hunt and protected us at night. That was when we were cavemen. Then we got all poncey and up ourselves and settled down to do a bit of farming. All went well, the dogs looked after the livestock, but rats had a field day with the stored grains. Cue our cats. "here Ug. What Og? I reckon we should bring one of those hissy, snarly scratchy fcukers with teeth into the family, they're cuddly. Og, even after a couple of thousand years you still need fcukin sectioning you do, and your missus still won't go for it and she's dead bleedin right. Naw it was her idea Ug. Damn thing hates me but purrs all over her". :D and again we were quids in and so were the cats. And that's before we get to horses, camels and elephants(brave bugger who tried that first), even cheetahs.

As a species we seem programmed to bond with our animals and they in turn bond with us and it's healthy for both of us. It has been shown in many studies that petting our furry friends is mentally and physically good for us. And that goes both ways. Our dogs, cats and other furries get the same benefits. Though just one thing, dogs don't like being hugged. It's not in their vocab of affection signals. The majority of dogs will lick their lips when hugged, a sign of discomfort. Many don't like being patted on the head either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

When we first moved into our area. The running joke of one of the neighbours was that she had 3 dogs in 3 years(all pedigree). The first died of medical complications, the 2nd she run over and third is still alive.

When we first got our dog, she told us to buy pet insurance as its worth it in the long run. I think with her experience, she is an expert at whether its worth it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh, and I have a friend who spent 5k getting her dog back from Brazil. She got him over there (with her Irish boyfriend) and was afraid to leave him when they wanted to come back to Ireland because he's a bit disabled and she was afraid he wouldn't find a good home. After months of quarantine and a fortune in tests, finally the dog arrived in the UK and she had to fly over to pick him up. Of course dogs aren't allowed on as foot passengers on the ferry (and there must have been some reason he couldn't be flown to Ireland) so they had to hire a car just to bring him on the boat. And then go back with the frickin car. After all that she falls in love with another guy and moves to Australia (the plan is a year or two). She didn't want to upset the dog, so he lives with boyf No 1 in Ireland and she skypes the dog daily :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

Wibbs wrote: »
    T

Though just one thing, dogs don't like being hugged. It's not in their vocab of affection signals. The majority of dogs will lick their lips when hugged, a sign of discomfort. .

Why on earth does my dog climb up my legs any chance she gets until I pick her up? Then if I reach down to her, she uses her legs to push herself against my arms and climbs up to my chest and wriggles into me. :o She only stops wriggling when I put my arms around her and hold her. Then obviously tries to lick my face off! She's nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Animals are the best. They're always happy to see you, never yell at you or get pissed off with you over nothing, usually very affectionate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Any vet reading this thread would have Euro signs in his/her eyes.
    They already have. Vet costs have gone through the roof in the last twenty years. And I'm not talking about cutting edge stuff where one might expect to pay the big bucks, I mean simple stuff.

Pet insurance has a lot to do with it. One hand shakes the other. Ah sure insurance will cover it = prices keep going up. It also adds to dubious practices like mandatory annual vaccinations to keep you in the loop. So your average dog who lives to say 12 years could have 40 plus vaccinations, yet your average human who lives to 80, might have 5 or 10 at most? GTFO.

Never mind that many vet practices pimp dry food for dogs front of house. Dry food that is basically weetabix with "meat" flavouring. For an animal that is still to all intents and purposes an apex predator and carnivore? Sure dogs will survive on such a diet, but it's not near optimal, yet vets will back it? They tried similar on cats, but they will just waste away on such a diet.

Hell we even have dog and cat dentists now. Eh WTF? Almost entirely down to the crap diet(like in people). Wild dogs and cats may break teeth, but don't show tooth decay or tartar. And that's before we get to doegy breeding and inbreeding and that ain't just the puppy farmers, the "good" breeders are the most guilty. How many wolves have been observed with hip dysplasia, or buggered joints, or tendons? That would be none(and wolves are actually quite narrow genetically). Yet many breeds suffer this, never mind DM, blindness, deafness etc. And don't get me started on the "benefits" and near gospel of neutering male dogs. /rant

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

dockleaf wrote: »
    Why on earth does my dog climb up my legs any chance she gets until I pick her up? Then if I reach down to her, she uses her legs to push herself against my arms and climbs up to my chest and wriggles into me. :o She only stops wriggling when I put my arms around her and hold her. Then obviously tries to lick my face off! She's nuts.
    :D oh sure DL they vary. Just like people, but in general they don't like it. It could also be your doggie channeling her inner puppy. :) Jumping to you to lick your lips for food, the hug is secondary kinda thing? Constriction of the body can be a calming thing for dogs, recalls pups being squished together with other pups. It's apparently how those anti stress dog jackets work. Funny enough I've read that wolves among themselves "hug" each other more than dogs do. It's more a paws and legs thing than full on body hug though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

They tried similar on cats, but they will just waste away on such a diet.

There's loads of good quality dry food for cats. What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

They already have. Vet costs have gone through the roof in the last twenty years. And I'm not talking about cutting edge stuff where one might expect to pay the big bucks, I mean simple stuff.

Pet insurance has a lot to do with it. One hand shakes the other. Ah sure insurance will cover it = prices keep going up. It also adds to dubious practices like mandatory annual vaccinations to keep you in the loop. So your average dog who lives to say 12 years could have 40 plus vaccinations, yet your average human who lives to 80, might have 5 or 10 at most? GTFO.

Never mind that many vet practices pimp dry food for dogs front of house. Dry food that is basically weetabix with "meat" flavouring. For an animal that is still to all intents and purposes an apex predator and carnivore? Sure dogs will survive on such a diet, but it's not near optimal, yet vets will back it? They tried similar on cats, but they will just waste away on such a diet.

Hell we even have dog and cat dentists now. Eh WTF? Almost entirely down to the crap diet(like in people). Wild dogs and cats may break teeth, but don't show tooth decay or tartar. And that's before we get to doegy breeding and inbreeding and that ain't just the puppy farmers, the "good" breeders are the most guilty. How many wolves have been observed with hip dysplasia, or buggered joints, or tendons? That would be none(and wolves are actually quite narrow genetically). Yet many breeds suffer this, never mind DM, blindness, deafness etc. And don't get me started on the "benefits" and near gospel of neutering male dogs. /rant
    Correct, I know what you mean being a farmer and having a daughter working with a vet specializing small animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

id do anything for my dogs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Last three years of one of my doggies lives added up
    Few ops at 800 per and monthly med at about 50 all told it came in at about
    5 grand
    Glad I had it to spend don't know how a bank manager would react to " I need a few grand to keep my old smelly dog comfy"
    Pet insurance is a good idea but it only counts till they are a certain age
    My fella never had a sick day in his life till he was 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Correct, I know what you mean being a farmer and having a daughter working with a vet specializing small animals.

Heard similar as well.
    Yer man on Channel 4 would put most hospitals to shame with the equipment he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

My dog eats before I do. If it came down to it, I'd rather go without myself than have the mutt go without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Oh, and I have a friend who spent 5k getting her dog back from Brazil. She got him over there (with her Irish boyfriend) and was afraid to leave him when they wanted to come back to Ireland because he's a bit disabled and she was afraid he wouldn't find a good home. After months of quarantine and a fortune in tests, finally the dog arrived in the UK and she had to fly over to pick him up. Of course dogs aren't allowed on as foot passengers on the ferry (and there must have been some reason he couldn't be flown to Ireland) so they had to hire a car just to bring him on the boat. And then go back with the frickin car. After all that she falls in love with another guy and moves to Australia (the plan is a year or two). She didn't want to upset the dog, so he lives with boyf No 1 in Ireland and she skypes the dog daily :)

Ohh Jesus, thank fcuk I read that story! :D

I was welling up here with tears in my eyes because I'm forever bringing home stray cats and kittens, but the one that really reduces me to tears every time I think about her was the kitten I found in a puddle on the side of the road that had been run over by a car, but was still alive. I took her home and cleaned her up, then brought her to the vet the next morning. He told me it might be better to put her to sleep as her hip was broken. I was horrified at the idea, the names I didn't call him under my breath! I spent the afternoon ringing vets up and down the country, money didn't come into it, I wanted this kitten to live. Every single bloody vet told me the same story. I was gutted having to accept it and bring the kitten to a different vet, I couldn't face the same guy again. Half an hour later I was truly inconsolable and angry that nothing could have been done. I didn't understand it at the time but definitely the quality of life argument Is a tough one to have to call, and I guess if I had let her go the first time the vet suggested it, it probably would have been easier on both of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

My dog is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

heldel00 wrote: »
    Blood transfusion, couple of nights with the vet, follow up visits, injections ... Have a fair bit spent already and all cos some aul prick of a farmer was throwing poison around willy nilly!
    Easy to say "no I wouldn't" but when you see them at their lowest you'd do anything

Some farmers are down right thugs.

Ranchu wrote: »
    There's loads of good quality dry food for cats. What are you on about?
    Aye but they have to throw in more additives to make it work. Put another way, cats are predators and what do predators eat? Cereals? Eh nope. They don't. They eat meat, pretty much the whole animal they hunt and catch. Same for dogs. What is so called "quality" dry food made from? Cereals and the castoffs of human cereal production to boot. Add "nutrients" and "flavour" and "ash" to keep said dogs and cats alive(and colouring to appeal to pet owners), but quality it ain't and nothing like they'd eat in the wild. They're not omnivorous animals like us. When I see roughage being touted as a bonus in dog and cat food I do go Ehhhh.. wut? Don't get me wrong, I'm no raw food fascist. They can have their own daftness, like feeding bones to pups(wolf pups don't eat them, their food is predigested/"cooked" by their parents and older siblings), but they're onto something and quite a few studies have borne this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

€5k? No, I wouldn't buy a long lasting pet in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

dogs arent wolves. i see nothing wrong with improving healthcare for animals in ireland.

also if a dog lives until 12, gets its puppy vaccinations then its yearly booster how does it get to 40 vaccinations? its a booster every year, might be more than one at a time but still

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    My dog eats before I do. If it came down to it, I'd rather go without myself than have the mutt go without.

Same here. The vet only told me the other day that Ozzie has to shed a few pounds even though I thought he was the perfect weight.

Here's the fat fecker lounging after a day of doing...well nothing. He hurt his cruciate the other day out walking so he has to rest up for a few days. Not a bother to him

Advertisement