Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone give Paddy Cosgrave a national award

Options
  • 31-10-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭

His web summit in the RDS in Dublin next week looks huge this year with 100's of startups and loads of media flying in over the next few days. Apparently it's the largest technology summit in Europe now and I don't think it's been going that long (only a couple of years?).

Seems very big for Ireland. Well done that man. He surely deserves recognition for a huge achievement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I'd ride him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Good man Paddy getting an account on boards to promote the event!

All messing aside it is a phenomenal success. I am studying I the digital sector at the moment and the Web Summit is a fantastic opportunity for tech start ups to get funding and a helping hand. The likes of Elon Musk and Gary Vaynerchuk are still talking about the great time they had last year at it.

So gutted I can't afford to go but next year I hope to be there with a start up some fellow students and I are hoping to launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How does it work with so many startups making pitches? They must have very little time to convince potential investors with so many there.

Also good to see the Irish hotel industry have abandoned their rip off gouging habits:rolleyes:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/td-slams-hotels-for-rate-hikes-during-web-summit-295743.html

Seems the organisers are now saying this might leave Ireland altogether because of the wifi issues in the RDS. They seem really pissed off with the venue and rightly so.

Would be a shame but incompetence in Ireland is not that surprising really is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The same International Tech Summit that doesnt have wifi???

Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Embarrassing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Can it not be held in the modern covention centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Seems the organisers are now saying this might leave Ireland altogether because of the wifi issues in the RDS. They seem really pissed off with the venue and rightly so.

Would be a shame but incompetence in Ireland is not that surprising really is it?

Any source for this?

Eircom have the license for RDS so it's their standard incompetance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Can it not be held in the modern covention centre?

Was wondering the same myself

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

VinLieger wrote: »
    Any source for this?

rte just said it on the six one news

Apparently all other venues are too small. I'm not sure that is actually true. It could be they would rather not expose their guests to the sights and sounds of Dublin's north inner city.

• Advertisement

Any source for this?

Paddy Cosgrave went on the main stage today and ripped in to the RDS in front of everyone. Not happy at all. 3 days apparently without wifi in the main venue. And it was the same last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

How much was it to actually attend this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apparently all other venues are too small. I'm not sure that is actually true. It could be they would rather not expose their guests to the sights and sounds of Dublin's north inner city.

Yeah because the IFSC with its apartment blocks with swimming pools on the roof and 24 hour concierge, is on par with Damascus in Syria at the moment.

I imagine the convention center is probably booked up for the next few years. Either way Dublin needs a modern Messe like most German cities. Its a purpose built center for trade shows. Its incredibly important to cities like Munich. The RDS is freezing, dull and not fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Johntm wrote: »
    How much was it to actually attend this?

My ticket was €750 but we left it late. Was there for the three days, was quite the experience. They're launching two more summits next year, one in Vegas & one in Japan. I reckon they made the guts of €10m profit on it.

Honest opinion, it's overhyped & not worth the full price. VC are thin on the ground & exhibitor space is very small for about €1000 a day.

Great success for them but overblown.

If I see one more startup describe themselves as "the Hailo of..." Or "the airbnb of..." It'll be too soon.

There was even one company claiming to be "the Amazon for the 1%"... Got news for you buddy, the 1% either are given things for free or have people who'll go buy the item for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

Thats a nice amount alright for the 3 days you'd want a very good interest in the tech scene.

Did you come across any start-ups that wow'd you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Paddy Cosgrave went on the main stage today and ripped in to the RDS in front of everyone. Not happy at all. 3 days apparently without wifi in the main venue. And it was the same last year.

And you want to give him a medal ffs? :rolleyes:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And you want to give him a medal ffs? :rolleyes:

Eircom supply wifi to the RDS he has no control over it beyond telling them how many access points will be required, apparently they didn't listen for the 2nd year running

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have attended a few conferences over the last few years. This one seems a bit broad, so much so that's it's aimless. Maybe just a promotional vehicle for Ireland as a Tech hub...with crappy internet and under qualified graduates....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I was I'm the room when Paddy was talking about the wifi, it was an off the cuff remark allowing him to apologise, hardly the threat people seem to be perceiving it as.

Eircom supply wifi to the RDS he has no control over it beyond telling them how many access points will be required, apparently they didn't listen for the 2nd year running

If they didnt listen to him not once but twice why on earth should he get an award!!!!!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Have attended a few conferences over the last few years. This one seems a bit broad, so much so that's it's aimless.
    I'm beginning to think the aim is just to promote this Paddy guy.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

OU812 wrote: »
    My ticket was €750 but we left it late. Was there for the three days, was quite the experience. They're launching two more summits next year, one in Vegas & one in Japan. I reckon they made the guts of €10m profit on it.

Honest opinion, it's overhyped & not worth the full price. VC are thin on the ground & exhibitor space is very small for about €1000 a day.

Great success for them but overblown.

If I see one more startup describe themselves as "the Hailo of..." Or "the airbnb of..." It'll be too soon.

There was even one company claiming to be "the Amazon for the 1%"... Got news for you buddy, the 1% either are given things for free or have people who'll go buy the item for them...

750? For what? Is that a business rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was I'm the room when Paddy was talking about the wifi, it was an off the cuff remark allowing him to apologise, hardly the threat people seem to be perceiving it as.
    I’m looking forward to a time when I can stand here and ask ‘Is there a problem with the WiFi?’ and nobody raises their hand and I believe that time will be 2015 or otherwise we won’t be in this country very much longer.

Doesn't sound very 'off the cuff' tbh

He has every right to be pissed off about it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Shot himself in the foot PR wise with the Trinity 1.1 nonsense a few months back.

Got to hand it to him for setting up a world class event in Ireland though. He has a 'strong personality' by all accounts, but you probably need an attitude like that to bring something like the Web Summit to fruition.

RDS are a bunch of morons to let that happen two years in a row. If the Summit leaves Ireland serious questions need to be answered. As far as I know the summit guys are working on similar events in the States and China so they're footloose people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Surely if the guy can't sort out WiFi for a tech conference he's not up to much or is too tight to reinvest the profits sounds half arsed either way.z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Eircom ah jaysus sort it out lads. My Eircom wifi fluctuates somewhere between 1.5mb and 16mb on any given day lol. Fair play to PC though, seems like a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Surely if the guy can't sort out WiFi for a tech conference he's not up to much or is too tight to reinvest the profits sounds half arsed either way.z

He had no control over it. He wanted to bring Cisco in to handle the wi-fi but the RDS wouldn't allow it. They insisted that they be the ones in charge of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He had requested that the wifi etc be leased out to a third party provider and they refused which is more so why he was so annoyed. Not alone would they not outsource it, they also messed up when it came to the event after charging an arm and a leg no doubt and telling him all would be grand on the day.

Personally I think the whole event is overpriced and over hyped. The speakers on the main stage werent great this year on any of the ones I watched. Its pretty steep in terms of price and im not a fan of these new stages like the food summit etc becoming a part of it. It just seems like an excuse to get more people paying to showcase at the event and turn it into a bigger money maker with the quality of the event suffering. The Nasdaq launch on the first day was embarrassing to watch also.

Would prefer to see a better managed event in a better location at a decent price.

Axwell wrote: »
    The Nasdaq launch on the first day was embarrassing to watch also.

Really? Didn't see it. What happened?

Also can't imagine people were impressed with the hotels ripping them off either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

He had no control over it. He wanted to bring Cisco in to handle the wi-fi but the RDS wouldn't allow it. They insisted that they be the ones in charge of it.
    Z
    Buck stops with PC epic failure on his part if he couldn't get control of a key item

Advertisement