Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

richiek83 wrote: »

Regarding the Newhall Interchange, 3 of the on/off ramps will be longer at around 300m :), but the fourth one is only around 100m :eek:. Of course, I'm referring to the proposed M7 South to R445 ramp. Now, there's probably only a small change in grade between the two roads at that point, but if the motorway is to remain 120kph after the works, then I'd be expecting many a smash up at the exit. This IMO needs to be changed - using Google Streetview, I reckon there's enough space under the side span of the existing interchange flyover for an extended slip so that it takes a shape more like the proposed M7 North to R445 - yes, the ramp would be very long, but at least it would be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

I thought the maudlins interchange would be amended aswell,
    I thought it would be a minimal movement interchange with the new Osberstown interchange that will be built

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

M7 needs widening out to J14 IMO but as far as Newbridge should do the trick in the short term which is definitely needed. I think traffic will increase further out over time, increasing population etc can see it as far as the M8 interchange

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Is the real issue here not poor merging by drivers entering from Naas, coupled with

a) drivers not letting people merge

b) cars changing to the overtaking lane to allow people to merge rather then just letting a few car lengths in front of them for people to slot in

c) cars slowing down for no reason other then the road veers to the right causing a back up/irrational braking behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Drivers on the mainline don't have to let entering cars merge.
    Entering drivers have to yield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Of course, but if given the choice between

1) Cars on the motorway driving tail to tail, and cars backed up waiting to get on or

2) Cars on the motorway driving a few lengths apart and joining traffic merging smoothly in turn with motorway traffic, without the need for any braking and therefore, a continuous flow of traffic

I know which on I'd choose ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Is it not in the rules of the road that you have to allow traffic to merge?

Roryhy wrote: »
    Is it not in the rules of the road that you have to allow traffic to merge?

in the UK yes,
    in Rep of Ireland No.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

There was an article in Tuesdays Leinster Leader (28/01/2014) that this project wasn't due to start until the END of 2016!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any word on this project, needs to be done. When Newlands Cross is finished this part of the motorway from J9 to J11 is gonna be worse than ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

I hear that the M7 motorway bridge between Sallins and Naas is due to shut for 10 weeks commencing 7th July. It was on the KFM website, but I can't find the article now.

This is the bridge that is between Naas North and Naas South exits, and it doesn't have motorway access.

Are these works on the bridge related to the widening project...?

EDIT - Looks like a 2 week closure one way....10 weeks of works.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Found this;

Important news about works due to begin on the Naas-Sallins motorway bridge. Please read....

At the first Naas area meeting of the new council, the NRA (National Roads Association) informed us that important repair works were scheduled to be carried out on the motorway bridge between Sallins and Naas. These works had been agreed under the previous council and this was just a courtesy update to brief us of timings etc. Some structural components of the bridge had reached end of life and needed attention. The works will also include raising the parapet height and addressing trip hazards for walkers and joggers. On my request they agreed to include ducting for public lighting so that lights can be installed at a later stage.

The bad news is that the bridge will operate as a one-way route for two weeks during August. Myself and other Councillors signalled major alarm as to the traffic problems that this will cause, however the NRA have signalled that the works were already agreed and will be proceeding. The project commences on 7th July and the one-way system will be in place for 2 weeks during the 10 week works. Traffic going from Sallins to Naas will be unaffected while traffic coming from Naas to Sallins will be diverted. Pedestrian traffic will be unaffected at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Traffic going from Sallins to Naas will be unaffected while traffic coming from Naas to Sallins will be diverted. Pedestrian traffic will be unaffected at all times.

Diverted where? Along the canal!!??
    As I understand there is also a major upgrade of the roundabout at the Naas end of the bridge due soon to allow an increase capacity. The roundabout is running >100% design capacity due to the extra traffic to the Kerry sites. (450 of the eventual 800 employees have already begin work in Naas).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ABP to decide on this by 28th August.

spacetweek wrote: »
    ABP to decide on this by 28th August.

Still no decision on this?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Still no decision on this?

Whenever a public body has to decide on something by a date, the earliest the decision will be made is *on* that date

Whenever a public body has to decide on something by a date, the earliest the decision will be made is *on* that date

Depressingly accurate summary...

ABP wrote:
    Case has been decided, details will not be available before 02-Sep-2014
    :confused:

http://pleanala.ie/casenum/HA0045.htm

From kfm radio
    Woo hoo

Permission For €110M M7 Up-Grade Granted.
    2014-09-01 11:46:51
    An Bord Pleanala has granted planning permission for the M7 road widening project, estimated to cost €110 million.

The approval will allow the Osberstown Interchange, the Sallins By Pass and the N7 road widening to proceed.

Kildare County Council is driving the project, for which funding has yet to be rubber-stamped by the Dept. of Transpor

abp links
    http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/directions/MA0/SMA0012.pdf

http://pleanala.ie/documents/directions/HA0/SHA0045.pdf

seems only to be paperwork mods to the permission applied for, and keeping a traffic count every 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Great. How many years before anyone funds it, thats the next question :)

Shame they didn't add the missing links to the M7/9 junction while they were at it though.

who knows, hopefully it will get funding this October.

I think KE co co are funding the Osberstown Junction, and the nra funding the widening.
    I'd imagine KE have a fair amount of the funding from Development levy on the Kerry Food plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Kerry Food plant.

Kerry Ingredients and Flavors to be exact. Foods Is another part of the business, nothing to do with Naas really.

Back on topic, from the plans we have been told, having junction 9a (with the spur to the Sallins side of Clane) is part of the overall structure to be in place for the Kerry Center, as is the upgrade of the Sallins road roundabout to 2 lanes and signalled. They will follow in the "couple" of years after the center opens.

Could have been told wrong though too...

What are the odds of this getting the funding in the budget next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Deedsie wrote: »
    What are the odds of this getting the funding in the budget next week?

High enough I'd suspect. Improving exchequer figures, worsening traffic in Dublin and of course, Newlands Cross isn't far from opening. Not sure if the last point will have an affect. Might actually improve things on this stretch of road with traffic not being as lumpy as before. (outbound at least).

High enough I'd suspect. Improving exchequer figures, worsening traffic in Dublin and of course, Newlands Cross isn't far from opening. Not sure if the last point will have an affect. Might actually improve things on this stretch of road with traffic not being as lumpy as before. (outbound at least).

Hopefully that's the case. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. As there is very little residential areas near this site there should be no reason why works can't be fast tracked? 7 day weeks? Longer hours than at Newlands?

Who would Kildare County Council have applied for funding from? Department of Transport? NRA? Would they be able to fund some of the costs themselves? It's a bit underwhelming to have had planning approved and then to hear absolutely nothing about funding application etc?

AS suspected the newlands cross flyover has caused massive tail backs from the kilcullen m9 m7 turn off to rathcoole.

check out tomtom live traffic.

• Advertisement

i just checked again , its almost back to newlands cross from kilcullen.

madness.

Advertisement