Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

slegs wrote: »
    crossman47 wrote: »
    Yes. They wanted to be sure they were right which is what Cody says he wanted.

He only wanted them to do what he wanted not to be right. Kilkenny don’t lose very much and aren’t taking it very well. The comments for Shefflin and Tyrell on television re the sending off are disgraceful. It was a clear red card irrespective of Barrett’s reaction. Cody also very ungracious. It’s not like they lost by a point. They were hammered. I think Tipp would have won easily anyway (we will never know). Kilkenny have a style that is based on aggression and a sending off is always possible when you play on the edge. All this playing the victim stuff smells of sour grapes.

From the 3 we've heard from, Cody, Shefflin and Tyrell it's been fairly head in the sand ungracious stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

jluv wrote: »
    But if the decision was against you.? Two wrongs just means two wrongs.. I honestly don't think that ref or linesman saw what happened. One player going in hard. One player stepped back. Got caught. No objection. Player makes a meal of it, ref put in a position. For those critics saying the kk anylists are playing it down. Of course you would. If any other team had to defend it they w..

I'd be angry at Hogan if I were you. He was reckless and paid for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Quit the personal attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Brendan Cummins just briefly mentioned that he wouldn't agree that it was a point.I would definitely like to hear more goalkeepers views on it.

I was standing in the Hill near the Cusack stand and it definitely looked over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Mokuba wrote: »
    A red card, while damaging, is not a death knell and plenty of teams have gone on to win or draw games after getting them.

Off the top of my head, the last 3 red cards Tipperary have gotten in the championship:
    • v Wexford this year - down by 5 and came back to win
    • v Waterford last year - down by 11 and came back to draw
    • v Limerick in 2016 - Played virtually the whole game with 14 and won well.
    Very surprised by how Kilkenny capitulated after the (deserved) red card, tactically so poor.

Will the ‘red/lobster faced one’ be tempted to throw in the towel this year after kk’s worst final defeat in living memory.....?
    Any chance you'd be tempted to throw in the towel on your posting career? Haven't nearly the number of highlights, and many more embarrassments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

He only wanted them to do what he wanted not to be right. Kilkenny don’t lose very much and aren’t taking it very well. The comments for Shefflin and Tyrell on television re the sending off are disgraceful. It was a clear red card irrespective of Barrett’s reaction. Cody also very ungracious. It’s not like they lost by a point. They were hammered. I think Tipp would have won easily anyway (we will never know). Kilkenny have a style that is based on aggression and a sending off is always possible when you play on the edge. All this playing the victim stuff smells of sour grapes.

Having a player sent off is always liable to influence the outcome of the game especially so early in the match. If Cody felt the sending off was harsh he has every right to say so. We will never know if KK would have won with 15. That's a game of ifs buts and maybe's.
    A hiding is always a possibility when down a man so I wouldn't be handing out medals to Tipp on that score.

Let's see Tipp win back to back All Irelands before acclaiming them as some great side. Tipp won today and let them enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Well one reason is that you're unnecessarily using an insulting phrase when asking a question about Brian Cody. Like him or not, he's the greatest manager of all time and deserves a little bit more respect than that

People very touchy this pm....merely trying to be a bit light hearted about it......not a good time to try it I suppose given the rawness double digit defeat that kk teams and fans would not be used to being on the receiving end of......nobody doubts Cody’s achievements but he does come across as somewhat of a poor winner ( post match interview with Marty Morrissey in 2009) and looser (2019) at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

holyhead wrote: »
    Having a player sent off is always liable to influence the outcome of the game especially so early in the match. If Cody felt the sending off was harsh he has every right to say so. We will never know if KK would have won with 15. That's a game of ifs buts and maybe's.
    A hiding is always a possibility when down a man so I wouldn't be handing out medals to Tipp on that score.

Let's see Tipp win back to back All Irelands before acclaiming them as some great side. Tipp won today and let them enjoy it.

Kilkenny people doing their best to take away from Tipps enjoyment by implying a clear sending off wasn’t. We all saw it. Why is only people with black and amber tinted glasses think it wasn’t a sending off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Will he retire from his permanent position. I believe he retired from his part time job a couple of years ago (teaching)....? He can’t go on forever surely....would not be a time to hang up the ‘black base-ball’ cap ��......?

In fairness to Brian Cody he has remained the same way on the sideline over the past twenty years,no ipad,note books or Secret Service type whispering into a clipped on microphone.His only technology,a spit on the hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Cody's comment about the refs taking their time to make a decision is embarrassing.

Why? Cody was near it when it happened, didnt have multi replays. he is clearly old school where you dont go down easy or try to get a player sent off.

Look for me it's a red by the current rules but the rule needs to be revisited as a sinbin or black card type would be sufficient punishment.

Players are amateurs and the impact that being the fall guy can have on a young person life mentally needs to be remembered.

Kilkenny people doing their best to take away from Tipps enjoyment by implying a clear sending off wasn’t. We all saw it. Why is only people with black and amber tinted glasses think it wasn’t a sending off

Can someone tell Barrett where Hollywood is :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd be pretty disappointed i nBarrett today. He took a hit but he really made the most of it. I guess its the way the game is going but maybe Richie was a bit naive in trying to lay a big hit on the sideline like that. Compare it to Richie and how he reacted from taking a dirty hit against Cork in the quarter final when jumping straight up. He could have got his man sent off that day.

Maybe Kilkenny need to get a bit more cynical in how they react to foul play.

Also how may similar tackles to Richies have we seen this season and how many straight reds? I can't think of any.

It's really disappointing to see an All Ireland decided like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Tyrell and Shefflin were laughable in their defence. They could have just said it was unlike hogan or he’s not that type of player but to try and somehow blame Barrett for milking it was comical.

I agree but his reaction is not relevant to the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Comerman

It was a sending off offence as much as Barretts foul on Hogan was And at that I'll still say the best team won. Enjoy yere one in a row.

Comerman wrote: »
    It was a sending off offence as much as Barretts foul on Hogan was And at that I'll still say the best team won. Enjoy yere one in a row.

I’m not from Tipp and no it wasn’t. Hogan’s was red the other wasn’t however much you want it to be

I’m not from Tipp

Congratulations

That doesn't make sense. It's his reactions which alerts the ref to something potentially amiss surely?

1373 wrote: »
    Wicklow

Or Down.

• Advertisement

That doesn't make sense. It's his reactions which alerts the ref to something potentially amiss surely?

Nope. It was Hogan’s raising of an elbow intentionally and then catching Barrett that caused the sending off. It’s not rocket science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Why did the ref have to go over and check on Barrett before making his decision then? It clearly played into it.

I say this as someone who agrees, in retrospect, that it was a red, by the way. But pretending Barrett's reaction wasn't ridiculous, and didn't affect the decision, is also wrong. Hogan is at this long enough to have known better than to go in recklessly like that though, was a very bad decision from him.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'd be pretty disappointed i nBarrett today. He took a hit but he really made the most of it. I guess its the way the game is going but maybe Richie was a bit naive in trying to lay a big hit on the sideline like that. Compare it to Richie and how he reacted from taking a dirty hit against Cork in the quarter final when jumping straight up. He could have got his man sent off that day.

Maybe Kilkenny need to get a bit more cynical in how they react to foul play.

Also how may similar tackles to Richies have we seen this season and how many straight reds? I can't think of any.

It's really disappointing to see an All Ireland decided like that.

The red card was for Richie Hogan using his elbow with intent,not what Barrett did or didn't do.

Nonsense. If I go and try and punch someone on the field but miss..should I get sent off? Yes. The reaction of other player is irrelevant.

Why? Cody was near it when it happened, didnt have multi replays. he is clearly old school where you dont go down easy or try to get a player sent off.

Look for me it's a red by the current rules but the rule needs to be revisited as a sinbin or black card type would be sufficient punishment.

Players are amateurs and the impact that being the fall guy can have on a young person life mentally needs to be remembered.

Refs should take a minute or two to make a big decision. A sin bin would not be sufficient punishment. I hope Hogan's get the support he needs to pull through this but we ultimately have to live with our decisions.

If you watch it again the ref and linesman looked at Barrett to see how bad he was and then made the decision to give a red card. AGAIN the best team still won.

Nonsense. If I go and try and punch someone on the field but miss..should I get sent off? Yes. The reaction of other player is irrelevant.

Nobody is answering how Hogan got his bloody nose!

As for Barrett, he saw an opportunity to get Hogan sent off and took it. There was no need for the dramatics.

If you watch it again the ref and linesman looked at Barrett to see how bad he was and then made the decision to give a red card. AGAIN the best team still won.

Maybe he was just checking on him and it had no bearing on the decision. How are you so sure this was part of the decision process

At the time of the sending off the scores were either level or a point either way so we have no way of knowing how the game would have played out with 15 surely?

As for Barrett, he saw an opportunity to get Hogan sent off and took it. There was no need for the dramatics.

I did address it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The red car was for Richie Hogan using his elbow with intent,not what Barrett did or didn't do.

Indeed. But Barrett's reaction certainly played a part. I guess its part of the modern game.

Yes Barrett quite clearly raised Hogan’s elbow and also quite clearly made him run in his direction. Quite the player.

Maybe he was just checking on him and it had no bearing on the decision. How are you so sure this was part of the decision process

The difference is Richie got up and went off to get fixed up instead of rolling around like he was shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

Does Sunday Game not usually visit both winning and losing team banquets? Or am I wrong?

If we accept that Hogan sending off was merited the feeling in KK is that Barrett made a meal of it. The history books will record Tipp won but lets not accept play acting coming into the game. Hurling is one of the greatest field sports around lets not spoil it by gamesmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Does Sunday Game not usually visit both winning and losing team banquets? Or am I wrong?

Haven't visited the loosing hotel in years AFAIK

At the time of the sending off the scores were either level or a point either way so we have no way of knowing how the game would have played out with 15 surely?

And we will never know. Just like limerick were denied a 65 in semi final..would they have missed it? Would they have won after extra time? Would they then have beaten Tipp? All that matters now is for 2019 Tipp are champions and will never change.

And we will never know. Just like limerick were denied a 65 in semi final..would they have missed it? Would they have won after extra time? Would they then have beaten Tipp? All that matters now is for 2019 Tipp are champions and will never change.

The highlight of the game is the sending off sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

The difference is Richie got up and went off to get fixed up instead of rolling around like he was shot

With all due respect ,the whack on the chin was far greater than the swipe on the nose!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭blackcard

Sideline should have been to Kilkenny

RMAOK wrote: »
    Haven't visited the loosing hotel in years AFAIK

Probably just as well. Burning effigies of Barrett no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I never thought I'd hear Saddam Hussein referenced on the Sunday game :pac:

With all due respect ,the whack on the chin was far greater than the swipe on the nose!!!

REALLY, so both were offences but hogan's was worse? Even though he needed a blood sub

RMAOK wrote: »
    I never thought I'd hear Saddam Hussein referenced on the Sunday game :pac:

Or British Colonialism.

If we accept that Hogan sending off was merited the feeling in KK is that Barrett made a meal of it. The history books will record Tipp won but lets not accept play acting coming into the game. Hurling is one of the greatest field sports around lets not spoil it by gamesmanship.

Padraig Maher the same against Laois too. Unfortunately its coming into the game to exaggerate injuries.

• Advertisement

The losing side will always point to mitigating circumstances. In 2009 Tipp had a player sent off. In 2010 Henry went off injured. In 2019 Hogan sent off. Losing hurts.

The highlight of the game is the sending off sadly.

Maybe for you. Tipp won semi final after sending off. Plenty teams have won with 14 men. Tipp had better more natural hurlers so hurling won in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

People very touchy this pm....merely trying to be a bit light hearted about it......not a good time to try it I suppose

We will always have to bow to your superior knowledge of being on the wrong end of heavy defeats, Mr. Waterford Supporter.

Ronan Maher.

Maybe for you. Tipp won semi final after sending off. Plenty teams have won with 14 men. Tipp had better more natural hurlers so hurling won in my view.

The sending off is all people are talking about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement