Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a gigantic pantomime of pretend

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Mules wrote: »
    I see your point. I actually hate the increase in population though. I live in an area that used to be rural, it's in the suburbs now and I just think it's got worse. I like living surrounded by fields, trees etc, not people and traffic and houses but it seems everyone is talking about increasing the population to grow the economy. It seems like a giant Ponzi scheme.

The countryside is nice but cities come with practicalities; when you get old you can be close to a variety of doctors and healthcare options, aside from healthcare, as your mobility decreases you will have shorter distances to travel and more transport option for daily practicalities. When you are earning money and have a family; you are more likely to have variety of job options in a city, which will make your income more secure and you less dependent on one job or one market. Your children will have more options for education, hobbies and social activities, when they get older they will have the option to live at home if they go on to third level, saving your family vast sums on accommodation when they won't be earning a full time wage. if you yourself are younger; cities offer far more options to find a life partner to settle down with along with options in education and your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

All you have to do is look at the FAI. Ireland is all pigs eating at the trough without a shred of empathy, responsibility or social cohesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mules wrote: »
    I see your point. I actually hate the increase in population though. I live in an area that used to be rural, it's in the suburbs now and I just think it's got worse. I like living surrounded by fields, trees etc, not people and traffic and houses but it seems everyone is talking about increasing the population to grow the economy. It seems like a giant Ponzi scheme.

From what I've read we have no choice but to increase the population through immigration. This is because in about 30 years time there is going to be 1 pensioner for every 2 workers. The National Pension Reserve Fund comes nowhere near meeting that massive liability so the choice is either more immigrants to pay more tax to cover those pensions or the entire pension system collapsing with huge political and social upheaval. Also with advances in medical science people are living a lot longer so you've got the double whammy of having to pay their pensions for even longer than ever before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From what I've read we have no choice but to increase the population through immigration. This is because in about 30 years time there is going to be 1 pensioner for every 2 workers. The National Pension Reserve Fund comes nowhere near meeting that massive liability so the choice is either more immigrants to pay more tax to cover those pensions or the entire pension system collapsing with huge political and social upheaval. Also with advances in medical science people are living a lot longer so you've got the double whammy of having to pay their pensions for even longer than ever before.

Various problems with what you've 'read':
    i) You haven't specificed what 'type' of immigration. If you don't have a points type system, or at very least some sort of criteria, legality, job offer or actual availability matching - then you can end up attracting large numbers of unskilled, who will only add to the welfare bill (for decades to come).

ii) Automation will make about 40% of all current roles redundant by the 2030s. The most at risk are low-skilled roles that can be automated e.g. retail, warehousing, taxis and basic grunt labour. These are exactly the roles typically filled by the young unskilled males during any mass migration events. I.e. There simply won't be blue-collar vacancies available to fill in 2030.

The solution may well be a mix of UBI, gig-economy support, free (higher level) education, fast-track points-based migration system (only take {from EU} what you need), and enterprise/remote workers policies for the ICT sectors.

Considering (in this boom) there is no where to live, and no hospital beds for the average Joe-Jane, there is also a need to re-look at public policy, ongoing corruption, rip-off insurance, compensation culture, crime, tax-evasion and thus actual real world wealth re-distribution.

That would be the source of any political and social upheaval when the next cyclical crash occurs, general mass migration will only add to it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd like to be able to pah my TV licence. For some reason they have stopped sending me a way to pay.

• Advertisement

I'd like to be able to pah my TV licence. For some reason they have stopped sending me a way to pay.

Thus year, they emailed rather than posted me the links, PINs etc. So it may be buried in your email somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nope I've checked and they haven't been after me by text or call. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Nope I've checked and they haven't been after me by text or call. Very odd.

They forgot about you. You can live free and live happily now safe in the knowledge this pesky bill won't come back to you until they day they make it mandatory for cave dwellers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,496 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The good news for those who think they are paying too much, is that if they live to average old age they will get all their money back, and loads more on top. Pensioners are the ones getting the big chunk of the public money purse.

The good news for those who think they are paying too much, is that if they live to average old age they will get all their money back, and loads more on top. Pensioners are the ones getting the big chunk of the public money purse.

That's the plan of course. But in the mean time to be on the safe side I'll have to limit my exposure to their money grabbing ways

• Advertisement

That's the plan of course. But in the mean time to be on the safe side I'll have to limit my exposure to their money grabbing ways

Just hope that there are enough taxpayers to fund your retirement. It could be the golden age for pensioners will come to and end in your lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

lawred2 wrote: »
    Know a girl with six in a house. Not paying a cent in tax. Nor has she any plan to.

Not even going to the bother of pretending it's her PPR and doing a licensee job...

She's just going to trouser it all and feed it to her ponies. Pocketing about 4800 a month.

I'm sure you know how that particular case can be dealt with.

hognef wrote: »
    I'm sure you know how that particular case can be dealt with.

Especially when she is so willing to let that poster know exactly how much she is making from the scam.

Just hope that there are enough taxpayers to fund your retirement. It could be the golden age for pensioners will come to and end in your lifetime.

Have to make hay while the sun shines I suppose. If I end up working till I drop I'd at least feel better knowing I gave them as little as possible to squander

Advertisement