Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a gigantic pantomime of pretend

Options
  • 07-12-2019 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Just paid the TV licence there. For what, I don't know! And the next thing is that broadcast charge that's on the cards, where essentially you'll have to pay for television even if you live in a cave with no electricity. Genius!

Paid another few bills too, all always on the increase.

Meanwhile, I'm seeing people spending huge amounts of money on complete crap in the shops. Thronged. Lots of credit cards being used, then out to the packed carparks full of, what I suspect are, many pcp funded new cars.

Then I met up with a friend, and conversation turns to consumerism and all that. She tells me that last year she got in contact with social welfare because for the 12th or 13th time she got random social welfare cards coming in the post, most were "foreign" names and pictures. Talking to some guy in social welfare, he says there are 12/13 "active claims" against her address. But she lives on her own!

Then theres the stories you hear the odd time of homes being rented on the sly to 10 and 20 people on the sly, crazy conditions, all cash in hand.

Just mulling over these things in general I find myself asking what's the point in playing things straight and normal? Is Ireland becoming, or already is, a nation brimming over with chancers and pretenders?

It really does feel like there are two realities here. The one where we all pretend that things are roses and brilliant, and the other where everyone is scamming everyone until the cows come home! Of course, only one of these is presented publicly.

Naturally there is always an element of putting on a "better" face for an unknown audience. But has this phenomenon grown to monstrous levels? Are we all in a gigantic pantomime?

This is rant territory, but does anyone else feel like they're living in the bloody matrix? :p All these seemingly separate things are indeed related, after all.

Ireland is gas, I'm telling ye! Happy Christmas :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

All of western society is like that and now you have all the climate change and be seen doing the right thing nonsense thrown in on top of it.

But governments and companies promoted this behaviour for the past 100 or so years and eventually people throw the old ways of life behind them and join the madness / rat race / treadmill. It is hard to be a refusenik though when you have the government demanding euros off you in the name of a broadcast tax or whatever simply for existing. You have to obtain those euros from "the economy" so there is no opt out anymore. Also since most money is debt if you decide to keep it in your pocket rather than spend it you are putting some indebted fella's livelihood at risk or at least putting him under more pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Twas always there, it's known as cute hoorism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

The thing I notice more about Ireland in general while there is more wealth. People are more impatient and angry on the roads and in general :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

beejee wrote: »
    Just paid the TV licence there. For what, I don't know! And the next thing is that broadcast charge that's on the cards, where essentially you'll have to pay for television even if you live in a cave with no electricity. Genius!

Meanwhile, I'm seeing people spending huge amounts of money on complete crap in the shops. Thronged. Lots of credit cards being used, then out to the packed carparks full of, what I suspect are, many pcp funded new cars.

Then I met up with a friend, and conversation turns to consumerism and all that. She tells me that last year she got in contact with social welfare because for the 12th or 13th time she got random social welfare cards coming in the post, most were "foreign" names and pictures. Talking to some guy in social welfare, he says there are 12/13 "active claims" against her address. But she lives on her own!

Then theres the stories you hear the odd time of homes being rented on the sly to 10 and 20 people on the sly, crazy conditions, all cash in hand.

Just mulling over these things in general I find myself asking what's the point in playing things straight and normal? Is Ireland becoming, or already is, a nation brimming over with chancers and pretenders?

It really does feel like there are two realities here. The one where we all pretend that things are roses and brilliant, and the other where everyone is scamming everyone until the cows come home! Of course, only one of these is presented publicly.

Naturally there is always an element of putting on a "better" face for an unknown audience. But has this phenomenon grown to monstrous levels? Are we all in a gigantic pantomime?

This is rant territory, but does anyone else feel like they're living in the bloody matrix? :p All these seemingly separate things are indeed related, after all.

Ireland Inc is essentially a money laundering venture for globalism, has been for decades. If the full truth ever comes out, then TPTB are screwed. That's why it has to continue - they have too much invested in it not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭snotboogie

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Ireland Inc is essentially a money laundering venture for globalism, has been for decades. If the full truth ever comes out, then TPTB are screwed. That's why it has to continue.

True but it was the absolute correct course of action. Most successful small countries do it; Singapore, the Netherlands, Macau, Switzerland etc etc. We're better off being in that group than stayinh the Albania of Western Europe with any half useful young person emigrating. Maybe there is a grand plan to up the population, unite the island and be a 10 million+ country with a somewhat viable domestic market of scale?

• Advertisement

jk23 wrote: »
    The thing I notice more about Ireland in general while there is more wealth. People are more impatient and angry on the roads and in general :O

Arrogance sets in, people start letting themselves be put under fierce pressure. Cocaine use surges

Then the crash comes along and they'll all be licking their wounds and reflecting on what fools they all were only for the same sh1t to happen in 10 years time.

Thats what Ireland has become unfortunately.

When I was a secondary school student,
    The Young Scientist competition was a respected competition. The projects were praised for their own sake.
    Now we hear mostly about the wonderful young winner and their grandparent who was instrumental. The project gets a cursory mention.

The game of soccer and the Irish soccer team were ascending in fortunes.
    Just look at the state of the fai now.

Also Irish personalities seem to be milking the bejaysus out of any tiny business technical development they can find with an Irish context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Overall GDP has increased, but so has wealth inequality, and will likely continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

snotboogie wrote: »
    True but it was the absolute correct course of action. Most successful small countries do it; Singapore, the Netherlands, Macau, Switzerland etc etc. We're better off being in that group than stayinh the Albania of Western Europe with any half useful young person emigrating. Maybe there is a grand plan to up the population, unite the island and be a 10 million+ country with a somewhat viable domestic market of scale?

I see your point. I actually hate the increase in population though. I live in an area that used to be rural, it's in the suburbs now and I just think it's got worse. I like living surrounded by fields, trees etc, not people and traffic and houses but it seems everyone is talking about increasing the population to grow the economy. It seems like a giant Ponzi scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

A huge swirling toilet. A giant faecal merry go round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Then the crash comes along and they'll all be licking their wounds and reflecting on what fools they all were only for the same sh1t to happen in 10 years time.

And they will blame everyone else but themselves. It will always be soneone else's fault.

You'll see the sad couple in the papers who maxed out their credit cards to go shopping in new York or get pillars built outside their front door.

Now they've lost their jobs and can't afford to pay it back. They weren't responsible though, it was the banks and credit card companies fault for lending them the money in the 1st place.

The papers will lap it up of course. Just like the ones in the paper who whinge cos they've been "homeless" the last year and living in a hotel and don't know what they're going to do when their next sprog arrives in 3 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Don't be a sheep, don't get a car on PCP, avoid keeping up with the Joneses and you will not be part of the pantomime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Yes we seem to follow every American trend. The last few I can think of the top of my head were the Christmas engagement frenzies, any product endorsed by the Kardashians and wedding day events like flash mob dancing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

jk23 wrote: »
    Yes we seem to follow every American trend. The last few I can think of the top of my head were the Christmas engagement frenzies, any product endorsed by the Kardashians and wedding day events like flash mob dancing!

Gender reveals.

LirW wrote: »
    Gender reveals.

Never seen one of those in Ireland. Do people have them? I find it hard to imagine a granny in a little stone cottage in Mayo getting excited over one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Home is where I want to be
    Pick me up and turn me around
    I feel numb, born with a weak heart
    I guess I must be having fun
    The less we say about it the better
    Make it up as we go along
    Feet on the ground, head in the sky
    It's okay, I know nothing's wrong, nothing
    Oh! I got plenty of time
    Oh! You got light in your eyes
    And you're standing here beside me
    I love the passing of time
    Never for money, always for love
    Cover up and say goodnight, say goodnight...

And so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i pay the tv licence and we cant and dont want to get rte on our tv.
    have absolutely no interest in it but willing to give 160 if for nothing else than to keep Dee 'whinger' Forbes and her talentless bunch of 'entertainers' overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Ireland's a $h1thole.

In fact the entire world is now a $h1thole.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable cleansing. Just taking it's f*cking time is all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Don't be a sheep, don't get a car on PCP, avoid keeping up with the Joneses and you will not be part of the pantomime.

Have a few kids and the children’s allowance pays for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

beejee wrote: »

Don't think its any different to any other western european welfare states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Know a girl with six in a house. Not paying a cent in tax. Nor has she any plan to.

Not even going to the bother of pretending it's her PPR and doing a licensee job...

She's just going to trouser it all and feed it to her ponies. Pocketing about 4800 a month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Ireland Inc is essentially a money laundering venture for globalism, has been for decades. If the full truth ever comes out, then TPTB are screwed. That's why it has to continue - they have too much invested in it not to.

What is going on with the FAI right now is a microcosm of the Irish establishment in general.

I find it amazing how much corruption goes on in this country among the establishment, yet the most pressing concern is reducing our carbon emissions. A society built upon dissociation.

and Ireland is a microcosm of Western society as a whole. I really can't see any happy ending. Maybe that's a good thing.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Know a girl with six in a house. Not paying a cent in tax. Nor has she any plan to.

Not even going to the bother of pretending it's her PPR and doing a licensee job...

She's just going to trouser it all and feed it to her ponies. Pocketing about 4800 a month.

Don't worry the recesh will be along soon and you'll hear her crying how "nobody will rent my poor little housheen now" and how terrible it is

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

increased, but so has wealth inequality

Have you got a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't worry the recesh will be along soon and you'll hear her crying how "nobody will rent my poor little housheen now" and how terrible it is

I don't want another depressing recession and another decade lost with everyone moping about the place just because that wagon could do with some comeuppance.

To be honest, I'd prefer an anonymous tip off to the revenue.

They have a facility for that right?

It’s not worth complaining. Us, of all people, will do absolutely nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can't believe we've got this far without 'oh, no it isn't'... For shame....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Can't believe we've got this far without 'oh, no it isn't'... For shame....

That’s because sadly, it is.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't want another depressing recession and another decade lost with everyone moping about the place just because that wagon could do with some comeuppance.

To be honest, I'd prefer an anonymous tip off to the revenue.

They have a facility for that right?

You gain nothing with it. If revenue take the money they'll only give it to some other entitled little sh1t. Probably a wealthier one in another country and the recession will come anyway whether you want it or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

RTE FAI The Dail three examples of wretched hives of scum and villainy where culpability does not exist

Advertisement