Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster v Ulster Pro14 Final Sept 12th 7.35pm Build Up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Current awec mood:

1tMWt4cjqC0aknVZpfPsoPn6xHlmNiB3.jpg?20160323143409

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster could go with a 6/2 split if they chose Frawley as their number 22. Can play 10, 12 and 15 at a pinch. Could cover for injury in a lot of different positions. Although I'm not sure how well that would play with Ross Byrne.

I honestly think there's a slight chance that Ross Byrne might start this one although I'd say it's probably 70/30 in favour of Sexton. I can see there being at least one surprise. Possibly Baird back into the starting side although that wouldn't be a particular surprise.

If I was looking for a left field selection, I'd say Ed Byrne to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Buer wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what changes Ulster make. They were a far better side in the second half than they were for the first 40 minutes and that was in no small part owing to the changes they made. I imagine Moore and McGrath will come straight back in but the changes thereafter will be more interesting.

Will they throw caution to the wind and drop Cooney as form demands? AB looked a bit sluggish compared to the past but was still a clear upgrade.

Jordi Murphy made 13 tackles, missing none in the opening half but still looked underpowered. He carried 5 times for no ground made which isn't surprising at all. Reidy is a more effective and robust carrier. Murphy has more big game experience than most of the Ulster team combined though so I can see it being hard for them to pass him over for this.

Sam Carter is bringing nothing to the table. I don't see the point in persisting with him. The difference to the Ulster maul when Treadwell, Moore and McGrath were on was huge.

I don't think there's much Ulster can do outside of 9 aside from potentially moving Stockdale to the wing and he looked very comfortable at 15 against Leinster a fortnight ago so might remain there.

For me Carter has really stood out as in terms of his lack of impact for Ulster- I think he gave away the first two penalties against Leinster, and that was his most notable contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It will be interesting to see what changes Ulster make. They were a far better side in the second half than they were for the first 40 minutes and that was in no small part owing to the changes they made. I imagine Moore and McGrath will come straight back in but the changes thereafter will be more interesting.

Will they throw caution to the wind and drop Cooney as form demands? AB looked a bit sluggish compared to the past but was still a clear upgrade.

Jordi Murphy made 13 tackles, missing none in the opening half but still looked underpowered. He carried 5 times for no ground made which isn't surprising at all. Reidy is a more effective and robust carrier. Murphy has more big game experience than most of the Ulster team combined though so I can see it being hard for them to pass him over for this.

Sam Carter is bringing nothing to the table. I don't see the point in persisting with him. The difference to the Ulster maul when Treadwell, Moore and McGrath were on was huge.

I don't think there's much Ulster can do outside of 9 aside from potentially moving Stockdale to the wing and he looked very comfortable at 15 against Leinster a fortnight ago so might remain there.

For me Reidy and Treadwell start, and hopefully that means a lot of experience and calm off the bench when Murphy and Carter come on (and a warning to Carter that, if he doesn't sort it out, he could be fourth choice when Hendo comes back).

Cooney starts, with the understanding that McFarland won't hesitate to bin him if he doesn't get back to his old self.

My concern is, I don't want a toothless, "making up the numbers" bench. Maybe a bit of mix'n'match - O'Sullivan and Moore to start? Ludik has been a great, battling servant, but he's 30-odd and in his last season. But who's on the bench, if we start with Lyttle-Lowry-Stockdale? Gilroy? Faddes? Meh.

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For me Reidy and Treadwell start, and hopefully that means a lot of experience and calm off the bench when Murphy and Carter come on (and a warning to Carter that, if he doesn't sort it out, he could be fourth choice when Hendo comes back).

Cooney starts, with the understanding that McFarland won't hesitate to bin him if he doesn't get back to his old self.

My concern is, I don't want a toothless, "making up the numbers" bench. Maybe a bit of mix'n'match - O'Sullivan and Moore to start? Ludik has been a great, battling servant, but he's 30-odd and in his last season. But who's on the bench, if we start with Lyttle-Lowry-Stockdale? Gilroy? Faddes? Meh.

I'd be concerned with Lowry at full back tbh. He's just too small.

Fine when we have the ball, worrying when we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

awec wrote: »

Stick him on, sure what could go wrong :P

The Lyttle/Lowry combination for the last Edinburgh try was the stuff of nightmares. James Lowe would love it.

Saw a rumoured team on PR, it's full strength incl. Ryan and VdF, except with Byrne and JGP instead of Sexton and McGrath. I think JGP should be starting from here out tbh.

Edit - also just came across this tweet which is the same team: https://twitter.com/LimitedBall/status/1303000196004147200?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I hope Byrne does start instead of Sexton for all sorts of reasons.

If nothing else it will confirm in the minds of the Ulster squad how little Leinater think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I thought his defending was an improvement on Stockdale’s on Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

bilston wrote: »

If nothing else it will confirm in the minds of the Ulster squad how little Leinater think of them.

Low quality bait. He'd start for every other province.

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stephen_n wrote: »
    I thought his defending was an improvement on Stockdale’s on Saturday night.

Stockdale is not a great defender either but at least he has height and mass. I think Lowry's only real chance of a successful pro career is at 10, because he can be hidden somewhat in defence.

You can't hide your fullback though.

Was perfectly good against Leinster in the QF last season.

Lowry is a good defender...for his size...its a hard one...he is such a talented player...but size will probably always be held against him.

I'm not sure why Ulster haven't used him more at 10. As Awec says he can get away with more at 10. There he'd be stuck in between McCloskey and Coetzee.

Was perfectly good against Leinster in the QF last season.

Indeed. I posted earlier that I had a feeling Byrne might get the nod for this one. That's not disrespect to Ulster, just an indication as to how highly Byrne is rated.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ross Byrne played all 80 against Ulster in the quarter final last year.... and kicked leinster to victory

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Ross Byrne played all 80 against Ulster in the quarter final last year.... and kicked leinster to victory

I was very disappointed Byrne was starting against us - nothing to do with any perceived slight, but he was playing better than Sexton and I genuinely thought we'd stand a better chance against Sexton.

I was very disappointed Byrne was starting against us - nothing to do with any perceived slight, but he was playing better than Sexton and I genuinely thought we'd stand a better chance against Sexton.

It's the league final and they can't be bothered starting the Ireland captain...I'd be taking that as a sleight.

Leinster don't rate us (I don't blame them)...its about time we played with a bit of a chip on our shoulders against them.

I can't wait until Ross Byrne sees this thread and sees the level of disrespect from Ulster.

I can't wait until Ross Byrne sees this thread and sees the level of disrespect from Ulster.

Sure he's used to it, he's not even the best out half in his family

• Advertisement

Himself and David Humphreys should hang out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

At the moment Ross is ahead of Harry

Harry has potential to be better but just potential. R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Just gonna leave this here ... https://youtu.be/GEUfmZcScoE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To this day I have no idea what he was thinking.

Full match is here, if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭typhoony

Larmour will be a loss not only because we're down another back three player but it also would have been good if he could build on his solid aerial showing last weekend before we face the Saracens bombardment.

Ryan will hopefully get 30 minutes from the bench. Hopefully Baird retains a spot in the 23. Toner has played the most of any of them so might be due a break to facilitate Ryan's return. I'd be happy to start Baird and let him absolutely empty the tank for this one. Good exposure for him.

Then go with Fardy, Ryan and Toner for the Saracens game. Second row is one area where they've really lost some quality. Skelton has departed. Kruis is going to Japan (I thought he was seeing out this season but no sign of him and hasn't played any rugby since the 6N). Isiekwe is on loan at Northampton. It's an area where we should really be looking to turn the screw.

With our lack of in depth options in the back line, I wouldn't be against a 6/2 split again. We have a clear advantage at lock and flanker. Having Ruddock, Doris, VDF, Conan and Connors/Leavy in the 23 would be very hard for Saracens to cope with.

it would be great to see a pairing of Ryan and Baird, Ryan can call the lineouts to himself and be the grunt in the tight exchanges and let Baird use his athleticism in the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

typhoony wrote: »
    it would be great to see a pairing of Ryan and Baird, Ryan can call the lineouts to himself and be the grunt in the tight exchanges and let Baird use his athleticism in the loose.

I think you've the wrong end of the stick.

His name is just Ryan Baird

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Stockdale is not a great defender either but at least he has height and mass. I think Lowry's only real chance of a successful pro career is at 10, because he can be hidden somewhat in defence.

You can't hide your fullback though.

Size is far less important in terms of tackling at full back. Smaller 10’s will be targeted by number 8’s hitting their channel. It’s hard to protect your 10 from that. In the air his size might be a disadvantage but she seems fairly athletic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I think you've the wrong end of the stick.

His name is just Ryan Baird

Second Row Pairing Ryan Squared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭typhoony

Size is far less important in terms of tackling at full back. Smaller 10’s will be targeted by number 8’s hitting their channel. It’s hard to protect your 10 from that. In the air his size might be a disadvantage but she seems fairly athletic.

but there are some notable exceptions, McKenzie and Jason Robinson small but punch above their weight

• Advertisement

Yeah, a fullback generally will make low single digit tackles per game, the out half will generally make a lot more.

Advertisement