Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things people go out of their way not to pay for

• 26-08-2020 8:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

This might be a short list but with Bank of Ireland raising fees and removing the option for free banking people seem to be dropping their sh*t cause 'banking should be free'.
    Ryanair paying for seats is another. Pay 10€ for a flight to Europe but won't pay a few euro to sit beside your family, kid, spouse and then wander up and down the plane the whole flight.
    Anything else to add to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Parking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Domestic water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Sex.

This might be a short list but with Bank of Ireland raising fees and removing the option for free banking people seem to be dropping their sh*t cause 'banking should be free'.
    Ryanair paying for seats is another. Pay 10€ for a flight to Europe but won't pay a few euro to sit beside your family, kid, spouse and then wander up and down the plane the whole flight.

I had a junkie tell me my seat 'was being held' for his girlfriend who was a nervous flyer when sitting alone. We argued, I told him he could ask the people she was sitting beside to swap but I paid for the window seat and she could have too.

After take off it transpired that her entire family were on the plane and all pulled this ****.

I had a junkie tell me my seat 'was being held' for his girlfriend who was a nervous flyer when sitting alone. We argued, I told him he could ask the people she was sitting beside to swap but I paid for the window seat and she could have too.

After take off it transpired that her entire family were on the plane and all pulled this ****.

You don't come off nearly as well as you think you do in that story.

• Advertisement

You don't come off nearly as well as you think you do in that story.

Because I didn't give in to a bull**** story by a cheap ass who was spending his summer in Spain on your money? Oh no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Live with these people 24/7, but can't bear being separated for 1.5 or 2 hours esp when they have their heads stuck in a tablet or a book anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Tipping delivery drivers and waiting staff. (It's not America)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Journalism and public service broadcasting. Then complain about clickbait, press releases being quickly rewritten as articles, outrage culture, influencers, and their voice not being heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This might be a short list but with Bank of Ireland raising fees and removing the option for free banking people seem to be dropping their sh*t cause 'banking should be free'. Ryanair paying for seats is another. Pay 10€ for a flight to Europe but won't pay a few euro to sit beside your family, kid, spouse and then wander up and down the plane the whole flight. Anything else to add to this?

Large corporations make an astonishing level of wealth off the backs of ordinary working folks, particularly when they're bailed out, I see virgin are currently getting a cool billion from the British tax payer, you d feel sorry for them!

• Advertisement

People don't want to pay for anything they need. It seems to me like people think they're entitled to everything they need and that their own money should be reserved for holidays and luxuries.

Back when I worked in retail, people were forever complaining about the prices of things with a cry of "but I need it".

Even transport - "I didn't buy a ticket because I would have missed my train". Oh right, your train is so important you need to be let off paying, but not so important that you could show up on time.

Passports, driver's licences, wifi, even smokes. The list is endless, no one wants to pay for anything, regardless of how much money they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why shouldn't banking be free?
    If you deposit 100 in the bank they can then lend out 1000 based on your money and charge interest on those loans.

The banks are already making enough money from us without banking fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

People don't want to pay for anything they need. It seems to me like people think they're entitled to everything they need and that their own money should be reserved for holidays and luxuries.

Back when I worked in retail, people were forever complaining about the prices of things with a cry of "but I need it".

Even transport - "I didn't buy a ticket because I would have missed my train". Oh right, your train is so important you need to be let off paying, but not so important that you could show up on time.

Passports, driver's licences, wifi, even smokes. The list is endless, no one wants to pay for anything, regardless of how much money they have.

Perhaps they dont want to pay bank fees because they're free elsewhere in other Irish banks who gouge their customers with high lending rates relative to EU. perhaps it's that their nearest neighbour the UK doesnt charge for same service or that Ireland is a rip off in general.Just a thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Greta_Funberg

"Social smokers" and fags. I get it, you don't want to get in the habit but ffs split a box or something. They don't grow on trees...

Why shouldn't banking be free?
    If you deposit 100 in the bank they can then lend out 1000 based on your money and charge interest on those loans.

The banks are already making enough money from us without banking fees.

Firstly, that's reductive to the point of inaccuracy.

Secondly, the keyword there is 'deposit'. Most deposit accounts have no fees.

The bank can't rely on funds lodged in your current account to match against long term loans. Plus, in a current account they're not simply holding onto it for you. They're facilitating transactions, your debit cards, direct debits and standing orders, providing you with internet banking etc.

Firstly, that's reductive to the point of inaccuracy.

Secondly, the keyword there is 'deposit'. Most deposit accounts have no fees.

The bank can't rely on funds lodged in your current account to match against long term loans. Plus, in a current account they're not simply holding onto it for you. They're facilitating transactions, your debit cards, direct debits and standing orders, providing you with internet banking etc.

i wouldnt be worrying too much about banks, they can do whatever they like, since we handed them the ability to create as much money as they want, pretty much so, and then they get the opportunity to sell us this money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Yeah Ryanair is literally a Dublin Bus with wings. I wouldn't be seen dead on it. Always fly Aer Lingus.

Yeah Ryanair is literally a Dublin Bus with wings. I wouldn't be seen dead on it. Always fly Aer Lingus.

they have given many the opportunity to travel though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

recall being in the city of london and they were handing out free sandwiches but you had to queue as you needed to sign up to something. lots of rich bankers (going by their expensive clothes and age) happy to wait 30min for a free sandwich.

as i write this ive just realised that at lunchtime in city of london you have to queue for a sandwich anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

people dont pay for the luas. costs about 3euro on average. and the stress of having to keep an eye on inspectors, not worth it.

You're worried about being seen on an airplane by someone else who chose to fly on said airplane? Why do you care what the plebs think of you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Aer Lingus = AirBus
    Ryanair = Boeing

sorry - I just found this kinda funny.

TBH I've never been able to book a Ryanair flight for a family holiday and see a huge saving for the dates we wanted so always just went with Aer Lingus too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Large corporations make an astonishing level of wealth off the backs of ordinary working folks, particularly when they're bailed out, I see virgin are currently getting a cool billion from the British tax payer, you d feel sorry for them!

Eh, it's not the British taxpayer bailing them out, it's private investment.
    Troubled airline Virgin Atlantic has finalised a rescue deal worth £1.2bn that should protect thousands of jobs.

Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group will inject £200m, with additional funds provided by investors and creditors.

The billionaire Virgin boss had a request for government money rejected, leaving the airline in a race against time to secure new investment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53406604

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

TV License, it's a mnority, but sizable minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

im tall so always pay extra for added legroom seats on Ryanair , once i have that done , i find their service perfectly fine , if i want a snack , il buy one , they are fine as well

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Paying delivery charges for online shopping. We add more items to our shopping lists just to reach the minimum amount for free shipping.
    We use Parcel Motel or AddressPal to get a UK address, so that we can get free shipping on items shipped to a UK address, although in this case we pay an intermediary but there's usually a saving and it doesn't feel as direct.

Vita nova wrote: »
    Paying delivery charges for online shopping. We add more items to our shopping lists just to reach the minimum amount for free shipping.
    We use Parcel Motel or AddressPal to get a UK address, so that we can get free shipping on items shipped to a UK address, although in this case we pay an intermediary but there's usually a saving and it doesn't feel as direct.

free delivery doesnt exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Sport TV subs

I don't pay for one myself, but watch every game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭daheff

Domestic water.

Yeah but we do pay for it under a 90s motor tax act (bizarrely).

Sport TV subs

some people are simply unaware of the technology available to do so, or how to do it, some are also happy to pay for it, for more of a guarantee and support of service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Those dicks who can't sit on a plane by themselves annoy me no end, I feel like homer Simpson losing his ass groove every I have to get up out of my chair to leave a half cut douchebag out and in again so he can sit next to his mate.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭daheff

Plus, in a current account they're not simply holding onto it for you. They're facilitating transactions, your debit cards, direct debits and standing orders, providing you with internet banking etc.

And also want to charge you for the transactions you make.

Those dicks who can't sit on a plane by themselves annoy me no end, I feel like homer Simpson losing his ass groove every I have to get up out of my chair to leave a half cut douchebag out and in again so he can sit next to his mate.

maybe they have a fear of flying

maybe they have a fear of flying

Take the aisle seat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭tjhook

Road tolls. Plenty of people leave a fast-moving motorway, to go through some bottleneck town/city, just to avoid €2.80 (or whatever it is).

I suppose if you had a route that took you through a toll twice per day it would add up pretty quickly, but I wonder if the added fuel spend would eat into the saving. Not to mention the additional time it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Re bank charges:

This'll probably be met with "you big capitalist corporate loving whatnot" (even though I'm nothing of the sort) but I genuinely don't understand when people take issue with it.

If a service is provided, you pay for it. It's that simple. Why should a service be free?

The banks are not just the senior executives. They are the customer service advisors and sales agents on basic wages.

tjhook wrote: »
    Road tolls. Plenty of people leave a fast-moving motorway, to go through some bottleneck town/city, just to avoid €2.80 (or whatever it is).

I suppose if you had a route that took you through a toll twice per day it would add up pretty quickly, but I wonder if the added fuel spend would eat into the saving. Not to mention the additional time it takes.

Theres occasions where the toll road is longer and for very little saved time. Not in Ireland but when I lived abroad there was a toll road, 6 euro return but you took an exit 100 matres before the toll and it added a whopping 5 minutes onto a 45 minute journey while saving about 10km distance.

Was more interesting as well for the kids looking out the window

Re bank charges:

This'll probably be met with "you big capitalist corporate loving whatnot" (even though I'm nothing of the sort) but I genuinely don't understand when people take issue with it.

If a service is provided, you pay for it. It's that simple. Why should a service be free?

The banks are not just the senior executives. They are the customer service advisors and sales agents on basic wages.

banking business model has changed dramatically over the decades, it is now highly dangerous and parasitic, it gives little back, but extracts an astonishing level of wealth from society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't think it's been mentioned but a lot of people hate paying bin charges. It's a service that you need, so why wouldn't you pay for it?!? That's why there's so much fly-tipping, and people stuffing their household rubbish into public bins.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's been mentioned but a lot of people hate paying bin charges. It's a service that you need, so why wouldn't you pay for it?!? That's why there's so much fly-tipping, and people stuffing their household rubbish into public bins.

but we rarely discuss the negative aspects of privatizing our waste management systems, which plays a part in negative behaviors

banking business model has changed dramatically over the decades, it is now highly dangerous and parasitic, it gives little back, but extracts an astonishing level of wealth from society

Modern societies rely entirely on the banking system and the complexities in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

TV License, it's a mnority, but sizable minority

I think the TV license fee is a ludicrous tax that we have to pay. RTE constantly run repeat tv programmes, they are completely & totally biased with their news media that's laughable, they should be accruing funding from their advertising/sponsors or the cable companies that most people subscribe too (ie, VirginMedia, Sky), and many people don't even watch RTE or have regular tv anymore (ie, Netflix and Prime subscriptions that they pay for). The money that is completely wasted in RTE is obscene and yet we are forced to pay this tax regardless.

but we rarely discuss the negative aspects of privatizing our waste management systems, which plays a part in negative behaviors
    Yeah I'm thinking the idiot who fires a mattress into a field isn't concerned whether waste collection is privatised or not.

Abdication of personal responsibility is a big problem on these isles.

In Germanic societies people recognise that that's what they're part of - a society - and pull together (not saying they're perfect societies either - none are).

Modern societies rely entirely on the banking system and the complexities in it.

oh theres no question, our banking systems are critical, but their activities should complement societies needs, but a large proportion of these activities are in fact counter active to our needs, and are now highly dangerous, as we ve recently discovered, but disturbingly, we ve decided to ignore this

Blizzard wrote: »
    I think the TV license fee is a ludicrous tax that we have to pay. RTE constantly run repeat tv programmes, they are completely & totally biased with their news media that's laughable, they should be accruing funding from their advertising/sponsors or the cable companies that most people subscribe too (ie, VirginMedia, Sky), and many people don't even watch RTE or have regular tv anymore (ie, Netflix and Prime subscriptions that they pay for). The money that is completely wasted in RTE is obscene and yet we are forced to pay this tax regardless.
    I've no problem paying for public broadcasting - the licence fee pays for radio also, and I think Radio One, Lyric and R na G are excellent.

But yes, the funds are not being spent well when it comes to TV. Or salaries.

Yeah I'm thinking the idiot who fires a mattress into a field isn't concerned whether waste collection is privatised or not.

Abdication of personal responsibility is a big problem on these isles.

In Germanic societies people recognise that that's what they're part of - a society - and pull together (not saying they're perfect societies either - none are).

maybe countries such as germany have better functioning critical public services than our own, which encourages those citizens to behave more so towards the collective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sport TV subs

Just look how diluted the whole thing has become...
    Virgin Sports
    Eir Sports
    BT Sport's
    Premier Sports
    Sky Sports

Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Its not free but our demand for cheap food is a really bad policy. Meat is being sold at less than the cost of production as supermarkets fight for market share. The result is bad production practices. I have argued with people who thought a piece of salmon was expensive until I pointed out fishermen have to go out, often in bad weather, to catch them.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Its not free but our demand for cheap food is a really bad policy. Meat is being sold at less than the cost of production as supermarkets fight for market share. The result is bad production practices. I have argued with people who thought a piece of salmon was expensive until I pointed out fishermen have to go out, often in bad weather, to catch them.

its the nature of the way we have designed our economic systems, its now failing, and we havent accepted this yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement