Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Lowry guilty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

He is a TD and should be held to a higher standard.

All should be equal before the Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

wexie wrote: »
    :confused:

Well doesn't 'of previously good character' describe pretty much anybody?

Y'know....before they become career criminals like?

Did you even read the links I posted or do you not remember his previous shenanigans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Remember this the next time the FF/FG gangsters tell you that they are tough on crime. :rolleyes:

Judiciary and Legislature are separate branches of govt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Is he still gonna be Bad Boys III?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Did you even read the links I posted or do you not remember his previous shenanigans?

hmmm.....yeah.....let me try to rephrase it in terms you might find easier to understand.

Have you ever seen an ad for a crashed car on Donedeal with the words 'car was mint before the crash'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Pure joke that this was dealt with in a Special Criminal courts...waste of time and resources per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mdol

Grand little country this. Just seen him on the news, choking back tears, the brass necked rat.

Made sure to thank the gullible gobsh, erm, people of Tipperary too of course.

As I said, grand country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Judges comments were ridiculous. Case should be appealed for leniency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

fxotoole wrote: »
    Judiciary and Legislature are separate branches of govt :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update, I'd no idea. :rolleyes:

Legislators ensure that white collar crime continues to be treated leniently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Delighted when last election Jackie Cahill was matching Lowry in Thurles EDs ballot boxes. 50/50 split almost

One box in Cashel area Lowry got 50%+ of first preference iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Lowry, he's one of their own n always will be, just like his friend DOB who stood with Enda whilst ringing the bell on the stock market in New York, after the tribunal findings. No point getting annoyed or stressed. This **** will be stil going when we are all long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Pathetic. People, especially young people would do well to wake the f**k up on how the mainstream political elite up in here are literally laughing at them. Keep ignoring it, the f**king workhouses will be back soon enough for ye all

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Fallen a lot since Bad Boys & Bad Boys 2!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

buried wrote: »
    Pathetic. People, especially young people would do well to wake the f**k up on how the mainstream political elite up in here are literally laughing at them. Keep ignoring it, the f**king workhouses will be back soon enough for ye all

Should read some of the news with regards to how people are trying to live, work houses are back already. They've just modernized them a bit

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/homeowner-renting-16-beds-in-three-rooms-for-up-to-445-each-1.2975618

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mdol wrote: »
    Grand little country this. Just seen him on the news, choking back tears, the brass necked rat.

Made sure to thank the gullible gobsh, erm, people of Tipperary too of course.

As I said, grand country.

The best part of that was that he looked very ill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

Birneybau wrote: »

Classy.

Allinall wrote: »

Classy.

I don't care. These people get away with crap constantly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

What did he get away with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So do a lot of Irish people committing welfare fraud or doing nixers and not paying cash or paying for cash jobs and not paying VAT or not paying rent which has Dublin City Council in 50 million arrears.

Bunch of hypocrites.

Lowry is scum.

But so are many people in this country who do and would do the exact same if they were in charge of their tax affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

I wonder how many companies decided not to setup in Ireland because they refused to pay corrupt politicians.

Allinall wrote: »
    What did he get away with?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2011/mar/23/corruption-allegations-michael-lowry

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/if-that-comes-out-im-ruined-lowry-29090809.html

https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2013/07/lowry-standards-in-low-places/
    The McCracken Tribunal, for instance, reported that Mr Lowry had interfered in a rent arbitration process to the benefit of Ben Dunne. In return Dunne contributed IR£395,000 towards renovation works at the Lowry family home, works that were initially carried out without planning permission. Mr Lowry is also a proven tax evader. Michael Lowry’s company Garuda Limited reached a settlement with the Revenue Commissioners to pay €1.26m while Michael Lowry made a personal payment of €192,000.

In March 2011 the Moriarty Tribunal concluded that the actions of Michael Lowry were “profoundly corrupt to a degree that was nothing short of breath-taking”. The Moriarty Tribunal considered that Michael Lowry had interfered with the 1995 mobile-phone licence competition to the benefit of Esat Digifone and that in return Lowry had received payments exceeding €1m from Denis O’Brien.

On February 24th of this year the Sunday Independent published the transcript of a conversation between Michael Lowry and Omagh-based property consultant Kevin Phelan which reinforced the findings of the tribunal. Central to the conversation is a payment of £248,624 which Lowry made to Kevin Phelan.

20Cent wrote: »
    I wonder how many companies decided not to setup in Ireland because they refused to pay corrupt politicians.

I’d actually say zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Shjudge
    Shjudgement
    Shjudiciary
    Shole country

• Advertisement

Farce of a country. How much did it cost to bring Lowry through the courts for that joke sentence? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Farce of a country. How much did it cost to bring Lowry through the courts for that joke sentence? :mad:

Fair play to the revenue though for trying. Unlike AGS/CAB/DPP regarding Moriarty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Pure joke that this was dealt with in a Special Criminal courts...waste of time and resources per usual

It was in the circuit criminal court with a jury not the special criminal court. The special criminal court is for non-jury trials.

Fair play to the revenue though for trying. Unlike AGS/CAB/DPP regarding Moriaity.

Absolutely, I can't fault revenue here either.

Today though really rubber stamped what we knew all along about the political system and the legal system. All complicit with each other and rotten to the core. The tax payer has had their eye wiped again

Absolutely, I can't fault revenue here either.

Today though really rubber stamped what we knew all along about the political system and the legal system. All complicit with each other and rotten to the core. The tax payer has had their eye wiped again

What about David Drumm last week?

• Advertisement

What about David Drumm last week?

But her emails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You've got to hand it to the judge - he described Lowry as being of previous good character. Lol.

Nolan is a disgrace to the Judiciary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nolan is a disgrace to the Judiciary.

He seems like a warped individual

Thankfully He Who Bribed Lowry To Become Incredibly Wealthy is deemed to be immune from any form of prosecution.

If the above was a SF supporter, there’d be outrage from the FF/FG gangsters.

Thankfully He Who Bribed Lowry To Become Incredibly Wealthy is deemed to be immune from any form of prosecution.

Well Redacted will always be despised by most people in Ireland.

To be honest SF have enough characters and members convicted of much worst crimes for ff/fg to be bothered getting upset if that was the case.

Lowry story already 15th (or thereabouts) article down the Indo site and the headline is...'It has been a very traumatic time for me'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lowry story already 15th (or thereabouts) article down the Indo site and the headline is...'It has been a very traumatic time for me'

Hardly surprising as his cronie DOB literally owns the Indo :pac:

Ireland has to be the most corrupt first world country on the planet.

No comments allowed in the Journal Article.

Guess they fear that Redacted will start throwing around legal writs like confetti if someone leaves a comment linking him to Lowry.

Can't blame the Lawyers though. Redacted is putting their kids through college.

• Advertisement

To be honest SF have enough characters and members convicted of much worst crimes for ff/fg to be bothered getting upset if that was the case.

Guess that makes everything ok then.

It was in the circuit criminal court with a jury not the special criminal court. The special criminal court is for non-jury trials.

A Jury over tax fraud so even worse

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Hardly surprising as his cronie DOB literally owns the Indo :pac:

Ireland has to be the most corrupt first world country on the planet.

Wonder why?

Do you think the normal joe soap has better morals?

Whole country is at it in some way.

Claims, welfare fraud, non payment of fines, rent arrears in the council, nixers, paying for jobs with cash, no car tax and insurance, fly tipping.

The list goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Corruption comes from the top down.
    Look at the chancers leading this country, top people in politics, the gardai, banking and the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    A Jury over tax fraud so even worse

not a believer in trial by jury then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JMNolan wrote: »
    It's all he'll be remembered for to be honest.

Whats the garlic man thing all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The bigger his sentence, the bigger his vote will be.

Disgusting individual really. And those voting for him.

Ireland will not move on until he and the HRs in Kerry (not that they did anything like that, but you know what I mean), Ireland will be in the dark ages and hail fella well met, anything other than Dublin. Ya hoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ireland will not move on until he and the HRs in Kerry (not that they did anything like that, but you know what I mean), Ireland will be in the dark ages and hail fella well met, anything other than Dublin. Ya hoo.

Disgusting individual really. And those voting for him.

The bigger his sentence, the bigger his vote will be.

You sound jealous of his very successful business and political career, I don't begrudge him fair play I say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

No comments allowed in the Journal Article.

Guess they fear that Redacted will start throwing around legal writs like confetti if someone leaves a comment linking him to Lowry.

Can't blame the Lawyers though. Redacted is putting their kids through college.

No, they just don't understand how court reporting restrictions work. It's fairly common for comments to be closed on any article that includes the word "court".

• Advertisement

not a believer in trial by jury then?

Not for tax fraud...no

Advertisement