Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

224 feared dead in plane crash in Eygpt

Options
  • 31-10-2015 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

224 people are feared dead after a Russian passenger plane crashed in Egypt.

The Airbus A-321, carrying mainly Russian tourists, was on its way to St Petersburg from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

The Egyptian prime minister says the jet came down after losing contact with air traffic control, just 23 minutes into the flight.

Search and rescue officers say all passengers and crew are likely to have died.

Wreckage of the plane has been found in a desolate mountainous area of central Sinai.

Egyptian security sources told Reuters that there were no indications the plane was shot down.

Very sad. :(

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/31/russian-plane-crashes-in-sinai-egyptian-pm-says

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34687139

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

RIP to those who lost their lives.

Rescuers have said that they can hear voices from the wreckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doesn't initially look like anything nefarious here. Aircraft stalled and dropped out the sky. Probably pilot error.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

seamus wrote: »
    Doesn't initially look like anything nefarious here. Aircraft stalled and dropped out the sky. Probably pilot error.

RIP.

Better let the authorities know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Can't believe how anybody can survive a descent like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

kneemos wrote: »
    Better let the authorities know.

They have said the pilot reported technical difficulties and tried to divert to Cairo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

RIP.

Thats a bit assumption to make.

bear1 wrote: »

Flight recorder was found, they've ruled out terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Flight recorder was found, they've ruled out terrorism.

Doesn't necessarily mean pilot error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Very sad, RIP to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Authorities say no survivors, all 224 onboard have died. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

bear1 wrote: »

Exactly, a stall could be down to a technical problem, it's not necessarily pilot error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Reading on the journal that IS have claimed responsibility for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Reading on the journal that IS have claimed responsibility for this...

Sure if Obama lost his fecking wallet they'd claim that too...

'hdz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

RIP.

Right....because nothing ever malfunctions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

14 posts on this.

We are a strange bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

JustTheOne wrote: »
    14 posts on this.

We are a strange bunch.

It's natural. If you are far removed from an incident it's always harder to show empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

It's natural. If you are far removed from an incident it's always harder to show empathy.

Its selective empathy that thrives here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Horrific incident. RIP to all of the poor victims.

Seeing photos stolen from victims' Facebook pages is very sad, makes it more real. 17 children among the dead. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Its selective empathy that thrives here

Personally, I only notice the sweeping generalisations.

RIP to those who lost their lives.

Looks now like mid-air mechanical failure caused the aircraft to break up, which makes me glad to say I was wrong.

Although IS got roundly mocked for claiming responsibility for this, there are some rumblings that it could have been an explosive device that caused it to break up.

• Advertisement

Looks now like mid-air mechanical failure caused the aircraft to break up, which makes me glad to say I was wrong.

Although IS got roundly mocked for claiming responsibility for this, there are some rumblings that it could have been an explosive device that caused it to break up.

BBC and Sky News are saying that it was an impact from an 'external factor '. Sounds very much like that they're starting to lean towards a missile of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    BBC and Sky News are saying that it was an impact from an 'external factor '. Sounds very much like that they're starting to lean towards a missile of some sort.

No. The airline are claiming it as an external factor. Very vague and hard to give it any credence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but planes generally don't tend to break up in mid air.

I have a feeling that something else happened to it.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but planes generally don't tend to break up in mid air.

I have a feeling that something else happened to it.
    No you're right, they don't. Aircraft have even lost big chunks of their fuselage mid-flight and still landed safely.
    Allegedly the pilot had expressed concerns about the state of the aircraft (according to his wife), so a very poorly maintained aircraft could potentially break up like this. The wind forces at hand are pretty huge, so loss of integrity in one part of an aircraft can lead to the whole thing being ripped apart by the stress. Very rare though.
    fits wrote: »
    No. The airline are claiming it as an external factor. Very vague and hard to give it any credence.
    A Russian authority trying to distance itself from culpability is what it sounds like. "We couldn't possibly be liable here, it must be something else".

I would treat any statements from the Russians about this with extreme suspicion.

An external collision means it either collided with another aircraft (at 10,000m, could only be military), or was hit by a missile. The lack of any debris from another craft would require the second scenario, which limits the culprits pretty much either to the Egyptians, or an ISIL group operating a SAM.*

Neither of which sound very plausible. If it had been Egypt, they probably would have owned up to it. If it was ISIL, the web would be flooded with videos of the weapon firing its missile.

A breakup from within sounds most likely, whether that's a mechanical issue or an explosive device.

* Or off-the-wall scenario three where a jet fighter engaged and downed it

A Russian authority trying to distance itself from culpability is what it sounds like. "We couldn't possibly be liable here, it must be something else".

I would treat any statements from the Russians about this with extreme suspicion.

It was an exec of metrojet who made the statement. Its a very small airline, only operating five planes. The business is probably on the line. Hardly an authority though.

Plane was registered in Ireland, some regulatory reason for that I wonder? Less oversight? Either way it's gonna be a headache for some Irish workers til this gets sorted out, think there's already a group gone over to assist in the investigation.

Plane was registered in Ireland, some regulatory reason for that I wonder? Less oversight? Either way it's gonna be a headache for some Irish workers til this gets sorted out, think there's already a group gone over to assist in the investigation.

Lots of aircraft leasing companies operate out of ireland. Probably because of our young skilled workforce....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ireland is a very important centre for plane leasing so a lot of planes are registered here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fits wrote: »
    Lots of aircraft leasing companies operate out of ireland. Probably because of our young skilled workforce....

more to do with our taxation laws than anything else. i doubt many young Irish people are even employed in those companies, considering most of them are actually based abroad.

Advertisement