Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yikes. Cabana is suing Punk now

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/colt-cabana-cm-punk-contract-legal-fees-lawsuit/

Cabana’s lawsuit contends Punk promised to help him out with the legal bills they amassed fighting the defamation lawsuit. Cabana claims Punk told him in a text that he would be “100% covered.”

Punk has failed to keep that promise, leaving him with unpaid legal bills totaling $513,736, according to the lawsuit.

Punk asked Cabana to pay half of the legal fees, which comes out to $256,868, saying “You are on your own.”

Cabana is asking for $200,000 in general damages, along with $1 million in punitive and exemplary damages, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit claims “Brooks acted with fraud, malice and oppression toward Colton, with the deliberate intention of causing Colton harm.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Cabana is asking for $200,000 in general damages, along with $1 million in punitive and exemplary damages, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit claims “Brooks acted with fraud, malice and oppression toward Colton, with the deliberate intention of causing Colton harm.”

1 million Jesus what has the world came to. Should seek legal fees if promised by all means but a million for hurt feelings is a bit rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://www.scribd.com/document/385790711/Doc-Aug-8-2018-at-5-17-PM#
    ERG89 wrote: »
    1 million Jesus what has the world came to. Should seek legal fees if promised by all means but a million for hurt feelings is a bit rich.

As I said in the news thread I hope colt wins and gets his legal bills paid and I'd have agreed with the point about the 1 million being a bit rich, but when you read the email punk sent cabana I've changed my mind. Punk tried to get all this sympathy after he left the WWE and he landed his friend in hot water because he had a grudge against the WWE which he somehow won. He made a promise to cabana that he'd see him sorted if he stayed as part of the case and then acted the bollocks over it.

The line in the email from the court documents that shows what kind of friend punk really is is " I hope you won't, but I gave up on you doing what is right a long time ago." How is AJ still married to him or him to her ? The guys a spoilt child at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I like Punk. I think he is a generational performer, underappreciated even as highly thought of as he is. And I think there's much to admire in him personally - his drive, his passion, his willingness to be true to himself. He's nothing if not authentic.

So it pains me to say this, but he is also a quite extraordinarily self involved, self aggrandizing, arrogant prick. It's things like this that make it so abundantly clear. That email in particular. What a fu<king asshole.

Monokne wrote: »
    I like Punk. I think he is a generational performer, underappreciated even as highly thought of as he is. And I think there's much to admire in him personally - his drive, his passion, his willingness to be true to himself. He's nothing if not authentic.

So it pains me to say this, but he is also a quite extraordinarily self involved, self aggrandizing, arrogant prick. It's things like this that make it so abundantly clear. That email in particular. What a fu<king asshole.

Just to be clear I'm not taking anything away from his In ring ability at all. It's the guy behind the wrestler who more and more comes across an utter prick.

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't think you were. I just wanted to make clear that I'm not someone who has a dog in this fight, a bias. I actively want to like Punk. But I, like you, have to call a spade a spade here.

Oh I didn't think you were. I just wanted to make clear that I'm not someone who has a dog in this fight, a bias. I actively want to like Punk. But I, like you, have to call a spade a spade here.

Haha and I then scrambled to clarify my position. That email was classless.

It really was. With friends like that. Colt doesn't need enemies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I would have thought seeking damages is fair enough for Colt. I haven't a clue what type of damage this has done to him in regards to his podcast but I'm sure it's not good. He's lost out on more than just the legal fees, all under the assumption that a friend would keep their word... But I guess that's where he went wrong.

When you think about Jericho has kind of swooped in while this whole debacle was ongoing and hoovered up an array of top guests from across the world, from indie to the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Even before the case their relationship was said to have soured.

How do you fall out with a a guy like Colt Cabana. Seems like the nicest guy ever.

It really says a lot about Punk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

When you think about Jericho has kind of swooped in while this whole debacle was ongoing and hoovered up an array of top guests from across the world, from indie to the big time.

Not really wretling podcasts have become completely oversaturated as a format the last few years anyway.
    If you are a wrestler going on one of them isn't an exclusive as if a Jericho, Meltzer or an Austin want to get you as a guest they're always going to get a yes from talent. WWE are unlikely to have let their talent on Cabana's show after being involved in suing him.
    As much of a dick Punk is it's baffling WWE tried to pull this as it's obvious that doctor didn't finance that. I just listened to a podcast on Bruiser Brody and thankfully Dave Meltzer, Tony Atlas or Dutch Mantell haven't been sued for what they have said since about that case which are far more serious accusations than anything Punk said.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would imagine the $1m in punitive and exemplary claim is a ploy by Colt's lawyers to get Punk to settle on the court steps instead of risking losing in court.

Even before the case their relationship was said to have soured.

How do you fall out with a a guy like Colt Cabana. Seems like the nicest guy ever.

It really says a lot about Punk.

Sure punk seems like the kind of person who could have an argument with themselves in a locked room.

For what it's worth, I asked MMA & pro wrestling journalist Todd Martin, who practices law in Washington DC, for his thoughts on the case as I figured he's better educated than most on the US legal system, and this is what he said:

"The key to me is linking Colt’s decision not to take down the podcast directly to Punk saying he’d be covered. If I promise to do something for you, that’s not a legally enforceable contract unless I’m getting consideration back.

Colt needs to establish Punk’s offer was directly linked to him not responding to Amman’s request. I’d want to know more about their conversations but it seems like that would be tough to establish given why would Punk care about Colt keeping up the podcast?"

Most interesting note from the CM Punk Starrcast appearance, to me, is he said he'd be open to speaking with Vince or Paul now, but he's not making the first move.

Have always believed he'll be back, still do.

He seemed in great form.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Most interesting note from the CM Punk Starrcast appearance, to me, is he said he'd be open to speaking with Vince or Paul now, but he's not making the first move.

He seemed in great form.

Followed the Q&A along on Twitter, so it’s hard to gauge the tone of his replies, but compared to Colt’s podcast and a few subsequent interviews, he seems significantly less bitter about his exit from the company now and it seems like it was a problem that could’ve been resolved at the time without too much hassle.

I agree that he’ll more than likely be back at some point, and I think it’ll be in WWE rather than the likes of AEW or NJPW. It just might not be as a wrestler though. I firmly believe he’s done with that for good, except for the possibility of “one last match”, and there are plenty of other ways he can contribute given his quality on the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He seemed in great form.

Hard to knw what will happen but $$$ talks

Punk has a massive ego but so do Vince and Triple H

Think he will appear at All Out and be part time in AEW

I am not trying to be contrarian, but I always find the certitude around Punk not wrestling again curious. He's only 40. He could have a 6 year old kid in 7 years and decide he wants his child to see him wrestle. He could decide at 49 he needs a retirement fund and there's millions there for him. He could have the Wrestlemania main event dangled in front of him and find it too hard to resist. He could be the feature performer in WWE 2K 25 and that may inspire talks for a return. Hell, he could get that phone call tomorrow.

My point, basically, is that ***EVERYONE*** of value comes back to WWE eventually - EVERYONE - those who went to court with them for years, Bruno, Bret, Sable, Warrior included - and he's young & healthy enough that he could have a run or at least a couple matches for the next like 12 years. What is definite today is not definite forever. He himself said today his feelings now are not what his feelings were 5 years ago. How about 5 years from now?

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he is done. I just think history and the balance of probabilities tells you the smart money is he will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sitting at home looking at all that Saudi money I'm sure he wants Vince or Paul to give him a call.

Himself and the Mrs could get a nice few paydays over the next few years with that Saudi money for a few appearances.

For anyone who wants the full recap, this from the fine folks at Post Wresting:

**Punk is asked about what it’s like being in a wrestling environment again. Punk says every environment is a wrestling environment for him these days. No matter where he goes, wrestling fans seem to follow him.

**Johnson immediately asks about recent rumours involving Punk being pursued by WWE, FS1 & AEW. Punk says it’s nice people still care, he’s not going to be anywhere tonight. He’s going to be hanging out with his wife instead.

**Says he’s fortunate to have the life he has now. He enjoys being in his own bed and the limited travel. He gets to do what he wants, and that’s hang out with his wife and dog.

**He talks about the horror movie he’s starring in, Girl on the Third Floor. Says he’s terrified of being in a movie where he takes up 85% of the screen time, but says he came out of the screening not hating it, which is a huge compliment coming from him.

Johnson asks Punk if he’s a method actor due to nature of coming from pro wrestling. Punk chuckles at the notion and says, “No.”

**Punk says he doesn’t miss wrestling because he was fortunate enough to do it all. He feels he had a great career so he doesn’t feel the itch to come back.

**Johnson asks if there’s a current wrestler that inspires Punk to come back. Punk says there’s no one wrestler in particular.

Punk shares a story about seeing Steve Austin backstage in 2010 and asking him if he wanted to give him a Stunner in a dark match. Austin was excited someone finally asked him to do something. Punk says he now looks at himself in Austin’s position.

Punk knows who Will Ospreay is, but hasn’t seen him wrestle, only clips. Punk says he sees guys like Kenny Omega and doesn’t know if he can keep up with them today, though Punk says he’s still in good shape.

**Johnson discusses the barriers Punk helped break down in the WWE, including changes to their policies on talent taking time off. Punk is stunned silent to hear that wrestlers are now able to take time off, including Seth Rollins & Becky Lynch taking 2 weeks off to get engaged. Punk is speechless for several moments.

Punk says he doesn’t know if he had anything to do with it, but says good for them. He says if that’s true it’s great, but wonders if they’ll still be punished in some other way.

**Johnson asks Punk if there was anything WWE could’ve done to keep him. Punk says no one talked to him after he burnt out and took himself off the road. Punk recaps the timing and lapses in communication which led to his suspension, then firing 2 days after his honeymoon. Punk says WWE might’ve been able to keep him if someone simply spoke to him.

Punk jokingly says he’d sign a full-time contract with WWE just to request some time off.

**Punk says he would be open to a conversation with Vince McMahon and/or Paul Levesque. He’ll have a conversation with anybody. But he’s not making the first move.

**Punk says at 40, he’s far more mellow now than he was before. He says there was a lot done by the company that was personal, but he’s let it go.

**Punk discusses pressure in pro wrestling to work through injury. Says it’s toxic masculinity that gets people hurt and killed. He would like to see the implementation of an off-season or talent rotations, as well as professional neurologist for concussions and better doctors.

**Johnson brings up the rumour that Punk was mad at wrestling Undertaker at WrestleMania. Punk says he doesn’t remember being mad at wrestling Taker, but being mad at the way the feud was built. He says he was never made to look like a threat.

**Punk shares some stories about Harley Race, including a story of Race throwing up in his car after a night out.

**Johnson brings up his 60-minute match with Samoa Joe that reinvigorated Ring of Honor in the mid-2000’s. Punk says he and Joe didn’t think about saving the company. They just wanted to have great matches.

Punk feels he was just next in line for Joe after TNA raided much of ROH’s top talent. Punk suggested the 60-min draw simply to prolong the feud.

**Punk discusses his entry into the WWE. Says he didn’t have much hope to excel in that environment, but he had already achieved everything in ROH. He didn’t just aspire to be a WWE guy. He wanted to wrestle Japan. Looks at AJPW in ’93 as the best wrestling of all time.

Punk continues to reflect on his time at Ring of Honor. Says it was very hard to leave but felt it was time to go.

**Punk addresses the story of his backstage encounter with Tony Atlas in OVW over Atlas not liking CM Punk’s wrist tape look. It was a story that was completely bewildering and hilariously told. Punk even does his Laurinaitis impression.

He did not have nice things to say about Nova or “Al” (presumably Snow) in his interactions with them in OVW.

**Punk shares his frustrations with losing to Kane prior to Punk’s WrestleMania match with Taker as well as losing to Triple H at Night of Champions 2011 when he was at his most popular. He discusses the futility of arguing with Vince about booking decisions. Punk believes neither Vince or Triple H ever understood him.

**On positives of being in the WWE: Punk always looked up to old-school guys and says being WWE champion may be closest he’d get to having the career of a great like Harley Race. He liked working with guys like Kofi and Bryan.

**Punk says working with John Cena was always great because he never worried about his spot. Same with JBL.

**He doesn’t consider his MITB 2011 match against Cena his happiest moment. He was always happy when he helped others have their happiest moments. Says in his life, whenever he finds himself on higher ground, he sees himself wanting to bring his friends up to the level with him.

**Punk reflects on his comfort on the microphone and straight-edge character. Talks about the differences between acting in wrestling and acting in films.

**Punk says he doesn’t see himself writing a book because he saw the amount of work his wife put into hers. Also because he’s tired of being sued.

**Johnson brings up the time The Rock called CM Punk in front of an audience at a WWE event in the Staples Center. Punk says he was in an elevator so he never received the call, but he thought someone died because of how many missed calls he received at the moment. Punk shares stories about working with The Rock for their program in 2013.

**Punk says he’s really happy for Kofi Kingston’s current title run. Says it should’ve happened a long time ago, but perhaps better now that his kids can see and remember it.

**Johnson asks if there are any comic movie roles CM Punk could see himself in. Punk says being a modern-day version of Kraven the Hunter might be cool. A fan suggests Casey Jones from TMNT. Johnson pitches Moon Knight. Punk hopes after his current films come out, more acting roles may come his way.

**Johnson asks Punk if there are any DC characters he wants to play. Punk says growing up he was a Marvel guy, but says you can enjoy both companies, just like how wrestling fans can watch both WWE and AEW.

**Punk discusses his intolerance for racism, including a recent incident involving his wife. Says his happiness comes from his wife, his dog and his ability to help other people.

**Punk says he enjoys Twitter more since he’s learned to customize his notification filters. Says Twitter isn’t real life.

**Punk was anxious and nervous prior to coming out. He didn’t have any big announcements but just wanted to be here to hang out with a group of friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

He seemed in great form.

Money talks and everyone needs a retirement fund, plus things have changed now with him talking about some wrestlers getting time off when requested. He'd probably never have to work a schedule like he used to and being way for so long would have done wonders for his body. I can see him back, a 12 month run will net him a nice 7 figure sum and as you said there's been others that have had bigger beef with WWE.

I liked his response of "I wouldn't not talk to them" and "I'll have a conversation with anybody, but I'm not reaching out to anybody. I'll listen to anybody".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

PWInsider: CM Punk was at FOX Studios earlier this week in Los Angeles meeting for a potential on-air role for WWE Backstage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Lord TSC wrote: »
    PWInsider: CM Punk was at FOX Studios earlier this week in Los Angeles meeting for a potential on-air role for WWE Backstage

You just beat me too it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/09/27/cm-punk-might-be-headed-back-to-wwe/

Woah!! What a move this would be if he turned up on Raw or Smackdown this week to start the new era

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Take them to the cleaners. **** it. I don't think people will be too worried about going against his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Meltzer said something along the lines of that WWE don't want him on the Fox show if he has no intentions of wrestling again because if nothing else all the talk will be about wanting him to wrestle. I don't know if I buy that entirely tbh.

If you have any attempt to mend that bridge you should, if only to stop the CM Punk chants and lock down any chance of him showing up elsewhere. Then again the Fox show is apparently in Fox's hands not WWE's so who knows. I don't know if the guy is even in a position to wrestle again or is he still rusty. Then again someone did point out how amazing it would be if after the Smackdown debut championship match if Cult of Personality played.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's weird if WWE would give up that level of power. If that's true the stuff about Bischoff and his role makes a lot of sense. I'd agree with the E on this one; I've no real interest in seeing Punk back with them in a non wrestling capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2019/09/27/cm-punk-might-be-headed-back-to-wwe/

Woah!! What a move this would be if he turned up on Raw or Smackdown this week to start the new era

this could be one of the last 'holy ****' moments in WWE when/if Punk appears. WWE do burn bridges and $$$ talks

They could do stuff like 'WWE 24- CM Punk' when we see the emotional meeting between him, Triple H and Vince with all the handshakes and hugs etc

Still not going to get my hopes up and wait til more concentre evidence appears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

PTH2009 wrote: »
    this could be one of the last 'holy ****' moments in WWE when/if Punk appears. WWE do burn bridges and $$$ talks

They could do stuff like 'WWE 24- CM Punk' when we see the emotional meeting between him, Triple H and Vince with all the handshakes and hugs etc

If they could manage to not spoil it and suddenly his music hits then yes that would be possibly the biggest surprise they have left now. No doubt they'll just announce it on the previous week's show or something.

• Advertisement

Pentecost wrote: »
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    this could be one of the last 'holy ****' moments in WWE when/if Punk appears. WWE do burn bridges and $$ talks

If they could manage to not spoil it and suddenly his music hits then yes that would be possibly the biggest surprise they have left now. No doubt they'll just announce it on the previous week's show or something.
    That's a thing that really does annoy me about WWE today. I know kayfabe is long since dead but there is still room for genuine surprises. WWE have done it with the Hardys and Dudley boys and others. This announcing it after another outlet "breaks" a story is stupid aswell.

Btw good news of the new sets and pyro returning. As they seem to be making changes take those stupid things off the ring posts please and just have one around the ring apron if you must have them.

Advertisement