Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you support the protest?
Yes! 267 31.05%
No! 593 68.95%
Voters: 860. You may not vote on this poll

18-04-2019, 20:21   #16
kneemos

Bar a massive change in the way we live I don't see what we can do in fairness.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2019, 20:31   #17
CalamariFritti

I do support it and fair play for the younger generation - well some of them anyway - for standing up.

However, it will take literally a revolutionary change to make an impact. The current political and economical system is incapable of reforming itself into sustainability. It has to go or else there is no hope. But sadly I believe inertia and denial and plain resistance will not allow it until its too late.

But thats not an excuse for not trying, so fair play and yes bring it on, plenty of it.
18-04-2019, 20:50   #18

It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion;[2] and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion

Says it all really. We are great for culling seals, deer, foxes, rats badgers etc. etc., but the dirtiest shower of rodents of all are humans and we are completely out of control destroying everything in our path and there is no stopping us.
18-04-2019, 20:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
What is it they want?
More bullsh!t Carbon Tax !
18-04-2019, 20:58   #20
CalamariFritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper100 View Post
It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion;[2] and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion

Says it all really. We are great for culling seals, deer, foxes, rats badgers etc. etc., but the dirtiest shower of rodents of all are humans and we are completely out of control destroying everything in our path and there is no stopping us.
Sadly thats true. We consider ourselves the pinnacle of creation and on an individual level that may be true, but collectively we are just a very effective cancer, what Agent Smith said.
Advertisement
18-04-2019, 20:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHJ View Post
So what's the general opinion on here about the protest that is due to happen at 1 PM tomorrow will you be out supporting the protesters for Extinction Rebellion Ireland?

https://www.newstalk.com/news/extinc...-dublin-849302

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend the protest tomorrow, but I fully support the people protesting and the message that governments, especially ours needs to do more to combat global warming. I'd love for the country to implement new green policies such as reforestation of large areas of the countryside with traditional Irish broadleaf trees rather than the current commercial crap that we have at the moment. I'd also like to see a right to roam type law implemented, which would give walkers and outdoor enthusiasts better access to the countryside and encourage eco-tourism rather than the current unsustainable model that we have at the moment.

If you had the power to implement any environmental policies. What would you do?
I would be a lot more receptive to them if they answered the questions that were difficult their side of the political spectrum, that is that reducing western European carbon emissions to close to zero and keeping a a stable population would not solve climate change according to the figures they rely on themselves.

To put it even blunter a chinese person is not far of the Co2 emissions of an irish person (or possibly higher depending on figure)

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC
(2) thanks from:
18-04-2019, 21:03   #22
CalamariFritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM_83 again View Post
I would be a lot more receptive to them if they answered the questions that were difficult their side of the political spectrum, that is that reducing western European carbon emissions to close to zero and keeping a a stable population would not solve climate change according to the figures they rely on themselves.

To put it even blunter a chinese person is not far of the Co2 emissions of an irish person (or possibly higher depending on figure)

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC
But its not just co2 levels and climate change. Its how we literally pollute, poison and lay to waste everything around us and everything in it. And we're not even doing it for survival. Most of it is just greed and gluttony.
(4) thanks from:
18-04-2019, 21:25   #23
RHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper100 View Post
Won't work. A farm support a family, and families support rural communities.

Planting trees on farms mean the land is planted by outside contractors and ignored for 20 years, bar the odd pruning by outside contractors. Farming families are on the land every day spending money locally and supporting the community.

How about they level all the housing estates and plant trees there instead?

Eventually the sun will burn out and the human race will be extinct. Human induced global warming merely shortens the road to extinction. May as well enjoy it while we can.
Whether you like it or not, people that live in towns and cities have on average a lower carbon footprint than those who live in the countryside (only a small percentage of those living in rural locations are farmers all work in the industry).

The type of trees. I would like to see planted are traditional native trees that wouldn't be harvested an opportunity I could see the sum living in some living in rural Ireland would be maintaining public pathways and tracks through the newly planted forests. Others could set up their own tourism businesses such as campsites. I also like the idea one of the ideas from Andrew Yang, who is currently running for president in the US, he suggests paying people to move from rural locations into towns and cities. His focus is more on jobs, though another idea that I like would be to give a universal income whose land has new forestry planted on it.
(2) thanks from:
18-04-2019, 21:27   #24
RobertKK

They only create pollution by delaying traffic and making people take longer journeys.
Advertisement
18-04-2019, 21:33   #25
MrMusician18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKK View Post
They only create pollution by delaying traffic and making people take longer journeys.
Well with tomorrow being Good Friday the city will be relatively quiet.

I wonder how many will turn up. I suppose you'll have the regular rent-a-protester there anyway.
Thanks from:
18-04-2019, 21:39   #26
Irexit
Banned

Even Prof Ray Bates from Met Eireann said there is no proof that man made climate change is real.

This is a total non issue to be protesting about.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/envi...ange-1.3738727
18-04-2019, 21:40   #27
Berties_Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irexit View Post
Even Prof Ray Bates from Met Eireann said there is no proof that man made climate change is real.

This is a total non issue to be protesting about.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/envi...ange-1.3738727
Your username and denialism fit perfectly.
18-04-2019, 21:40   #28
Atlantic Dawn

Why don't they do something constructive like get 10,000 people on the coastlines some weekend to clear up all the plastic and rubbish?
18-04-2019, 21:45   #29
Irexit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
Are you saying Prof Ray Bates is wrong ?
18-04-2019, 21:49   #30
MrMusician18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
Indeed rather ironically if we had his irexit we would almost certainly meet out emissions targets, what with it ending agriculture on the island and all.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion