Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you earn

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

cjragoo wrote: »
    Why do people find asking this rude? It's only money who cares?
    Because it's not supposed to affect how you see someone but it does.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cjragoo wrote: »
    Why do people find asking this rude? It's only money who cares?

The question itself is not rude

A reluctance to disclose may help avoid begging letters and stalkers.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

About 30k probably get another 2k in bonuses and overtime a year.
    ****ty money but then again it's only unskilled warehouse work so can't complain.
    Only positive is my job is family run and it's small so everyone gets a rise at the same time. Worked here 5 years and 4 out of 5 years I got a payrise of 2.5-3.5 percent. Hoping it continues like that for that next 5 years or il probably go to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Similar to a previous poster I've made big jumps in salary from moving jobs every 1 to 1.5 years. Doing pretty well now but with a wife and two kids to look after I'm highly leveraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

about half of it, the rest Im blagging to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I don’t get out of bed for less than €9.55 p/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

€infinity+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

A Garda wouldn't ask me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've had a few people ask me how much I earn, I think anyone who wants to know is a nosey fooker so give them a completely wrong figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Muckka wrote: »
    There's plenty earning 120k in a year and all they have in the fridge is light....

Stingy feckers?

• Advertisement

jordo333 wrote: »
    I get give or take, it works out at about with expenses 140,000 a year and I pay 30.3% tax on that, so it’s about a net 100,000 and out of that 100,000 I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar and Brussels. I wanna tell you something, try it sometime…

Why did this post get so much thanks ?
    is it a quote from a film ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why did this post get so much thanks ?
    is it a quote from a film ?

Really????

227632_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Recently started a new job on 85k, was close to getting a role for 100k but wasn't to be. Previous role was on 76k, previous 56k and previous 43k. I left the 42k role at the end of 2015. In my 56k role I was told I wouldn't be getting any salary increase on my year end appraisal as there was "no budget" for it. So began looking elsewhere immediately and got 20k more in my next role.

?????, you dropped Ik between sentences there, ah you'd barely miss it now you're on the 85k.
    Just thought I'd point that out to you, oK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've had a few people ask me how much I earn, I think anyone who wants to know is a nosey fooker so give them a completely wrong figure.

I always say, "just enough to take your mother out to dinner every now and again "

Well that's what I say if I dislike whoever is asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Really????

It's been a fast 20 years since we were all watching the LLS that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Is this really the best copy of this classic moment?

Really????

AH!
    of course!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I'm just waiting for Anus Von Skidmark to show up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I'm just waiting for Anus Von Skidmark to show up..

Best nickname :D

Usually these type of threads attract his attention so here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

cena wrote: »
    what is your job

Eh, hmm. Investments. Eh, I do investments. Consulting in the business, eh, business, eh, analyzing, stocks, eh, NASDAQ, eh, Dow Jones, Wall Street Journal, eh, New York City, CNN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Edward M wrote: »
    Cos it's none of your business.

Cause everybody on here knows who you are

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Questioning sacred Cows

Not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Why would someone be earning less for the exact same work in the same company as their colleague? I'm not that familiar with the private sector so am probably a bit naive here. Is it because the bigger earner has greater qualifications? In which case why are they both doing the same work?

The most important thing is the starting salary, as pay rises are usually percentages. So, the person who negotiates the best starting salary will continue to get larger pay rises than the person who started on a lower salary.

Timing can come in to it as well - if you start when there is a shortage of your skillset you can negotiate a better starting salary than when there is a glut, or a recession.

Thanks to those who answered my query about pay. I thought it might be something to do with negotiation. For years I worked in the public sector where you took what was given and management were both revered and feared. Shudder. Now I kind work for myself so my financial situation can be precarious. Luckily I have a few safety nets in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Im too rich to be poor and too poor to be rich

• Advertisement

Another good question might be "how much tax do you pay?"

Too many people walk around believing they pay 50/ 52% of their income towards tax, when that is nigh-on mathematically impossible.

I earn a decent income and I pay 29% between tax and pension contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

KevinCavan wrote: »
    Women generally need to feel their partner is earning more.

What absolute rubbish. I don't know any women who "need" to feel that their partner is earning more. Lots of us earn more than our partners.

As an aside, my spouse and I do what a lot of couples in the US in our industry do - one takes a full time position, with the benefits of health insurance, life insurance, and all the other benefits a good position offers. The other takes contracting roles, which do not pay benefits, but pay a high hourly rate. The full timer may make less money, but covering the benefits provides the safety net that allows the other partner to be a contractor.

Advertisement