Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you earn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is it still wrong to ask somebody how much they earn?

There was a thread a few weeks ago where people were highly offended if their Barber dared ask what they worked at. If you can't tell, I found it nonsense.

Asking someone how much they earned is definitely going too far. Its a pretty personal question

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I never understand why it is such a weird thing to ask or say.
    I happily tell people what I am on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I suspect part of the issue is that if we're not earning more, shouldn't we be doing more of the non-work work stuff?

Some of us earn more than the OH and still do more of the non-work work stuff.

All went downhill when they got the vote ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Nope would only have partner and mother/father know what I earn.
    Working in current place around 16 years and recently a new guy asked how much I was on.
    I told him i found the question rude and intrusive he since has moved onand asked others even more personal questions and is really inappropriate at times, Its like this 26 year old man child has no idea how to behave in public!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

My wife earns over 30k more than me.

It's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Aonghus Von Bismark !!! where are you ???

We need an @ notification system on boards!!

Permabear was the master of these threads. His matter-of-fact 'I earn more than you' that he managed to wiggle into his posts was truly impressive.

That is strange. Can't imagine a reason for keeping that info away from the OH.

Because it’s none of her business?

I personally don't ask people and would find it rude to ask or be asked. The only person who knows my compensation outside of those in work who need to know, is my partner.

I would also find it strange that a couple who are together any reasonable amount of time and/or are living together don't know each other's finances. It makes financial planning a bit of a guessing game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

My wife earns over 30k more than me.

It's great.

So she earns 30k 😂😂😂 joking

My ex earned 44k more than me and i’m doing alright

Seeing as nobody has stated what they earn i’ll get ball rolling

€53,500 basic

Actually thats it as no overtime to be done

JayZeus wrote: »
    Because it’s none of her business?

I would argue it is her business as we live together and pay bills together but hey we all do relationships differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Revenue are getting smart. Asking all the Billy big balls on boards how much they earn; then sending them an audit notice when it doesn't match their returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I earn nothing, but I'm paid lots.

I earn a nice gross figure, the net figure is not so nice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Is it still wrong to ask somebody how much they earn?

Its a bit weird when someone asks that question. But it depends on the context.

Like if some random person was to ask you with no reasoning then its weird.
    However if its someone who works in the same field as you and they're trying to gauge whether or not that are underpaid.

You do get some assholes who ask the question so that they can respond with, "well i make 120k a year you know".

I would argue it is her business as we live together and pay bills together but hey we all do relationships differently.

You can argue all you want, it’s still none of her business. I generally find women care more about knowing what men earn than the opposite.

You can argue all you want, it’s still none of her business. I generally find women care more about knowing what men earn than the opposite.

Who hurt you, Jay?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

If I was asked while on a date "how much do you earn ?"

I'd get up and walk out.

Flashing lights "hypergamy"

It's a personal thing really,

I don't think it's relevant or important unless you're changing job's or going to the bank manager.
    It's handy in a relationship where you're paying the same bills and maybe doing home improvements or saving for a holiday.

I think if you're living with someone and for the long haul you don't know or have an idea of your partner's earnings there's something iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

However if its someone who works in the same field as you and they're trying to gauge whether or not that are underpaid.

You do get some assholes who ask the question so that they can respond with, "well i make 120k a year you know".

Yes, BA, nail on head there. In my experience, the question was usually asked to give a context to their unsolicited "i'm on 1.5 gazillion, with share options of course".

By the way, I'm on 1.5 gazillion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Women generally need to feel their partner is earning more.

There's plenty earning 120k in a year and all they have in the fridge is light....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Permabear was the master of these threads. His matter-of-fact 'I earn more than you' that he managed to wiggle into his posts was truly impressive.
    whatever happened to him? he was great craic, a complete fantasist but there was nothing he didn't know.
    i see he has not been active since last summer and has deleted all his posts, did someone call him out on all the crazy lies in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Only my other half, my employer and my bank know how much I earn. If anyone asks, my reply is "enough to be comfortable but a little more would be nice".

I would never ask someone how much they earned as its none of my business tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

uch wrote: »
    I'm a civil servant, it's common knowlege we all earn €85K a year

Still stuck in the cheap seats then ??? ;)

I'm civil service as well and I pay more than that in tax !!!!

(I don't actually but apparently when I retire I'm going to be living in a gold plated house driving a gold plated car and crapping in a gold plated bowl..... and I'm getting all that for free!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for it.. :rolleyes: )

Muckka wrote: »
    It's handy in a relationship where you're paying the same bills and maybe doing home improvements or saving for a holiday.

I think if you're living with someone and for the long haul you don't know or have an idea of your partner's earnings there's something iffy.

That's exactly what I'm arguing. On a date, of course you don't disclose that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Worked for myself for 10 years. Stressed to the hilt. Earned really good money but personal life suffered in many ways. Took shift work 2 years ago now earning 40k. Wife earns considerably more. Life took a turn for the better once I made that decision. I have time to live. In every way I am so much better off. Never gauge being better off in money terms but quality of life. West of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Junkyard Dog

I never understand why it is such a weird thing to ask or say.
    I happily tell people what I am on

Yeah I don't understand it either! I remember my Dad getting highly offended when I asked him how much he made when I was a child.
    I genuinely don't understand how some people consider it private or personal details. Fair enough if it's a bargaining chip as part of contract negotiations or something like that, but at the end of the day it means nothing if you earn 25K or 250K does it?? It doesn't change a single thing about you!
    I'm a civil servant and I earn approx €28000. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if it was more but like I said, it doesn't change a single thing about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you have your health, you're wealthy. so i think anyway. an elderly woman in the early stages of dementia said it to me the other evening.
    i dont earn much, i work hard and we have enough so happy here :)

That's exactly what I'm arguing. On a date, of course you don't disclose that information.

Noooo never disclose it.

You'll always have some chancer in Copper's on a Saturday night getting away with lying his way to a one night stand pretending he's absolutely loaded.

Back in the late 90's early 00's
    I knew a guy who was a right bastard telling women he was a surgeon, the amount of women who fell for it, he was an ugly cnut too...
    He'd say he's from Cork so the unfortunate lady would bring him home.

And the irony of it one of the other guy's was extremely attractive and had a body to die for, he was a fisherman and they'll show no interest...

Money talks and bull shet walks....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Muckka wrote: »
    Noooo never disclose it.

You'll always have some chancer in Copper's on a Saturday night getting away with lying his way to a one night stand pretending he's absolutely loaded.

Back in the late 90's early 00's
    I knew a guy who was a right bastard telling women he was a surgeon, the amount of women who fell for it, he was an ugly cnut too...
    He'd say he's from Cork so the unfortunate lady would bring him home.

And the irony of it one of the other guy's was extremely attractive and had a body to die for, he was a fisherman and they'll show no interest...

Money talks and bull shet walks....

Doesn't say much for the women who fell it tbh.

Would it work the other way round? Like fck it would.

Most of my friends do the same work so we all know roughly what each place pays in the city. We all think working conditions and hours are more important anyway.

I've no issue saying what I earn, except in work itself cause I'm on a good bit more than the newer hires, who are more qualified but less experienced.

• Advertisement

farmchoice wrote: »
    whatever happened to him? he was great craic, a complete fantasist but there was nothing he didn't know.
    i see he has not been active since last summer and has deleted all his posts, did someone call him out on all the crazy lies in the end?

I think he chose to leave over something to do with GDPR, or deleting user data or...something. There was a big feedback thread you can find where he had many posts.

Advertisement