Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

decky1 wrote: »
    At what stage did this Nut Allergy thing start? when i was in school 40+ kids to a class with 6 classes [Primary School] and not one of these kids had a nut allergy, maybe we were too busy enjoying our childhood and not stuck in front of the tele etc, maybe if the kids now got up and went out to play climb trees [oh no they might fall ] start acting like children again maybe this Nut Allergy might pass.

It's the hygiene hypothesis. If your fat little unterkinder spends all day in a hyper-controlled, unrealistic, unnatural environment, then the squat oxygen-stealers immune system has all the fortitude of melted cheddar.

With much irony, as is the case in nature often, the need to control the environment even more, leads to even more limp-wristed immunological response and malfunction.

And goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Is that what you teach kids these days? You’re building a rat shop here, a vessel of seagoing snitches.

You are hilarious. No we teach chldren that caring for others is important and caring for those who have medical needs is important hence all children know not to ring chocolate spread to school because it will be sent home.

But your earlier response of snitches get stitches tells me a lot about your **** stirring. Its fun

beejee wrote: »
    It's the hygiene hypothesis. If your fat little unterkinder spends all day in a hyper-controlled, unrealistic, unnatural environment, then the squat oxygen-stealers immune system has all the fortitude of melted cheddar.

With much irony, as is the case in nature often, the need to control the environment even more, leads to even more limp-wristed immunological response and malfunction.

And goose.

However it occurred it is here now and heeds to be dealt with.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

khalessi wrote: »
    Generally it is a blanket ban on not putting nut spreads such as peanut butter or choc spread on sandwiches or sending nuts into school as they are the main offender.
    The advantage of a blanket ban is that the affected kid's classmates isn't aware that one of their classmates has a medical condition, so they're also not singled out presumably.
    The parents of the classmates will be aware generally because of parties, friends, etc.

ixoy wrote: »
    The advantage of a blanket ban is that the affected kid's classmates isn't aware that one of their classmates has a medical condition, so they're also not singled out presumably.
    The parents of the classmates will be aware generally because of parties, friends, etc.

Yes but generally all the classmates know as the child goes to their birthday parties. One of my sons classmates has a severe nut allergy and the kids will generally say Ixoy is coming so nothing with nuts. The kids keep the parents on their toes lol. when the child is at my sons parties I ask for the epi pen to be safe

• Advertisement

However it occurred it is here now and heeds to be dealt with.

How it occurred is the very reason not to repeat how it occurred :p

Hence the food was sent home and the parent rang to send another lunch, that kid didnt come in again with a choc lunch

Thought you were referring to something else lol Not banning nuts or nut products is not going to make it go away now it is here

Thought you were reffering to something else lol Not banning nuts or nut products is not going to make it go away now it is here

The only sensible approach is to apply a thin coating of nut oil over every child's body, twice daily, eventually working up to a thick cement-like spread of Nutella and wheelies within a minimum of 5 weeks.

Thusly, the children will not only become non-allergic to nuts, they will actually become nut-dependant, thereby raising many people and trained monkeys out of poverty in the productive nut regions of Indonesia as demand increases, hence a result of increased fiscal and social responsibility toward endangered orangutans near the hinterland, who in turn are given the opportunities deemed necessary by mother nature to evolve the use of primitive tool utilisation, whose combined utility can be offered toward the failing ship-salvage industry of Paraguay, therefore expediting the more efficacious disposal of hazardous oxides, with the ultimate result of less environmental peculiarities giving rise to nut allergies in non-nutella-covered children.

See?

The only sensible approach is to apply a thin coating of nut oil over every child's body, twice daily, eventually working up to a thick cement-like spread of Nutella and wheelies within a minimum of 5 weeks.

Thusly, the children will not only become non-allergic to nuts, they will actually become nut-dependant, thereby raising many people and trained monkeys out of poverty in the productive nut regions of Indonesia as demand increases, hence a result of increased fiscal and social responsibility toward endangered orangutans near the hinterland, who in turn are given the opportunities deemed necessary by mother nature to evolve the use of primitive tool utilisation, whose combined utility can be offered toward the failing ship-salvage industry of Paraguay, therefore expediting the more efficacious disposal of hazardous oxides, with the ultimate result of less environmental peculiarities giving rise to nut allergies in non-nutella-covered children.

See?

:pac::pac::pac:I'll put that to the Board of Management on your behalf, maybe it can come under SPHE :D

• Advertisement

:pac::pac::pac:I'll put that to the Board of Management on your behalf, maybe it can come under SPHE :D

That's the spirit! We'll meet tonight in a box of cornflakes and talk it over.

Project: Bunion has officially begun.

That's the spirit! We'll meet tonight in a box of cornflakes and talk it over.

Project: Bunion has officially begun.

Ill bring the cream and sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Snitches get stitches

So what exactly do you want, what would be your solution?

Children spend more time at school than nearly anywhere else. All children deserve to learn in a safe, healthy environment.

Are you saying children with allergies should be sacrificed and offered up as collateral damage just because severe allergies are more common now than in the past?

Do you think that children dying needless, preventable deaths will somehow reduce the amount of annual diagnoses?
    Because it won’t, and even if it might, it’s not a risk worth taking. I’m really struggling to see wat your objective is here.

Allowing nuts in schools will do nothing but add more stress & work to teachers who will have to monitor lunchboxes & hover over the effected children. It will cause anxiety for the children with allergies.
    And it’s a given that children will suffer and possibly die.

So what’s to gain but unbanning them, really?
    So that your little Johnny can enjoy some cashews with sandwich? Is it really worth that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Tickers wrote: »
    Your question doesn’t make any sense. “If my child wasn’t a vegan, something something, nut allergy, statistics”

Well, you’re tuned into the “Not making sense” frequency so you’d know. :D Thought I’d try it out. It’s kinda fun. I’m not sure if desperately wanting to be a WUM is worth looking stupid for though but you do you.
    decky1 wrote: »
    At what stage did this Nut Allergy thing start? when i was in school 40+ kids to a class with 6 classes [Primary School] and not one of these kids had a nut allergy, maybe we were too busy enjoying our childhood and not stuck in front of the tele etc, maybe if the kids now got up and went out to play climb trees [oh no they might fall ] start acting like children again maybe this Nut Allergy might pass.

How would you know that? I was in a class of 18 in primary school and just about knew them all. In bigger classes and the school as a whole and with incoming new students every year, I don’t know how you’d know whether anyone had allergies. Especially if there was less awareness of it back in the day. Just because you never witnessed an allergy flare up, that doesn’t mean people with allergies didn’t attend your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If people are going to die because of it , it's probably best to avoid it.
    Be a treat for them to come home to nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cjmc wrote: »
    If people are going to die because of it , it's probably best to avoid it.
    Be a treat for them to come home to nuts.

Mammys are probably saying me too to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

SusieBlue wrote: »

Children spend more time at school than nearly anywhere else. All children deserve to learn in a safe, healthy environment.

Are you saying children with allergies should be sacrificed and offered up as collateral damage just because severe allergies are more common now than in the past?

Do you think that children dying needless, preventable deaths will somehow reduce the amount of annual diagnoses?
    Because it won’t, and even if it might, it’s not a risk worth taking. I’m really struggling to see wat your objective is here.

Allowing nuts in schools will do nothing but add more stress & work to teachers who will have to monitor lunchboxes & hover over the effected children. It will cause anxiety for the children with allergies.

So that your little Johnny can enjoy some cashews with sandwich? Is it really worth that?

His name is not Johnnie, it’s Fionnan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Of course they should be banned - the risks are small undoubtedly, but why take even a small risk with the life of a child when it's so easily avoidable and causes such little disruption?

I do think the whole safety first things has gone too far when you see things like no running in the yard and so on, but kids need to play - they don't need to eat nuts, during school hours.

All my kids love peanuts, but the family next door have a cousin who visits regularly and they can kill her. It would be madness to put her life at risk just so my kids don't have to restrict their peanut eating to the 18 or so hours a day they aren't actually in the school room!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hoestly surprised that 44% of people voting here think its ok to bring nuts in. Why stop there, why not allow knives and guns, sure my kid is perfectly safe with them, would you still say thats grand "the school, children and parents should accomodate"?

Reminds me of the anti-vaxxers geting up in arms about schools potentially insisiting that pupils get their MMR vaccinations or the kid stays at home. Same thing, why should you put anyone at risk because some selfish parent thinks that whaterver they want for their kid overrides the safety needs of every other kid.

For what its worth, I do have a nut allergy and am in my 40's and it was great craic back in the day when the kid beside me in lunch break was eating a peanut butter sambo or the canteen ocassionally decided to serve food that had nuts in it with no warnings, fun times. No internet or social media in those days, the reason nobody knew/cared about it was kids like me just suffered or died, the end, no social media outcry, better times, not.
    SMH.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i can see it from both sides.

why cant nut consumption be kept off school grounds? hardly an arduous ask.

on the other hand, if i have a dangerous disorder its me that has to modify my behaviour, not try to make the world change for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

on the other hand, if i have a dangerous disorder its me that has to modify my behaviour, not try to make the world change for me.
    Yeah avoid restaurants that serve dishes containing nuts etc but that's not really relevant to a child with a nut allergy who has to go to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can I just ask how you suggest a child with a nut allergy modifies his behaviour in a class room if another child has nuts in his lunch box ?

It actually mind blowing to think that some people still believe their child is so entitled to his rights that he cant be without nuts for 5/6 hours !! So the child should be allowed bring in nuts and endanger another child because his daft parents think he is somehow missing out because he cant eat a nut for 5 hours . !!

I am guessing if this was put to a child and explained about the danger that the child would be far more willing than some posters here to refrain from eating nuts for a few hours .
    I have seen it in Junior Infants myself where the little children are very aware and keep their little friend safe and make sure they have no nuts or nut spreads . Its called teaching empathy and luckily all the parents and the teacher are very good at that explaining that message

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can I just ask how you suggest a child with a nut allergy modifies his behaviour in a class room if another child has nuts in his lunch box ?

Primary school they should be banned. But if it's a classroom of age 15/16 the teenager should understand the eating nuts can kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

SusieBlue wrote: »

I would be amazed if he/she has a kid and if he/she had a kid who developed an allergy to nuts that opinion would change very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would be amazed if he/she has a kid and if he/she had a kid who developed an allergy to nuts that opinion would change very quickly

There was a case like this in Australia in 2004-5
    Mum was enrolling kids in school, Kid was severely peanut allergic, mother asked if the school would be able to implement a no-peanut policy.
    School put it to the committee and another mum kicked up about it.
    "My sons diet is being affected, this is all nonsense etc" just like on here.

Mum who initially asked about the no peanut ban, just went away and found another school that would be able to accommodate her and her child.

The mother who kicked up stink went on to have another child with a severe peanut allergy, tried to enroll said child in the same school and implement a no-nut policy herself after belatedly realising that life is not easy for allergy sufferer, instant justice served.

It's what people need to understand, its not a fad diet its a life changing condition, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Lumping all kids with allergies into homeschooling is not a viable option.

The UK has already seen some criminal prosecutions against unscrupulous takeaway owners that have killed people with shoddy allergen management.
    These led to jail time here and here

To my knowledge there hasn't been a case taken like this in Ireland...yet.

But if a parent sent a child to school with nuts when they have signed an enrolment form that most likely states they will follow the school policy on various matters and another child is injured, brain damaged or killed through that parents negligence or malicious flouting of the rules I wouldn't bet on a civil case not being taken.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There was a case like this in Australia in 2004-5
    Mum was enrolling kids in school, Kid was severely peanut allergic, mother asked if the school would be able to implement a no-peanut policy.
    School put it to the committee and another mum kicked up about it.
    "My sons diet is being affected, this is all nonsense etc" just like on here.

Mum who initially asked about the no peanut ban, just went away and found another school that would be able to accommodate her and her child.

The mother who kicked up stink went on to have another child with a severe peanut allergy, tried to enroll said child in the same school and implement a no-nut policy herself after belatedly realising that life is not easy for allergy sufferer, instant justice served.

It's what people need to understand, its not a fad diet its a life changing condition, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    Lumping all kids with allergies into homeschooling is not a viable option.

The UK has already seen some criminal prosecutions against unscrupulous takeaway owners that have killed people with shoddy allergen management.
    These led to jail time here and here

To my knowledge there hasn't been a case taken like this in Ireland...yet.

But if a parent sent a child to school with nuts when they have signed an enrolment form that most likely states they will follow the school policy on various matters and another child is injured, brain damaged or killed through that parents negligence or malicious flouting of the rules I wouldn't bet on a civil case not being taken.

You could bet and you would lose.

You do realise that you are the one asking other parents to accommodate your needs, not the other way around? A little gratitude would be nice.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It actually mind blowing to think that some people still believe their child is so entitled to his rights that he cant be without nuts for 5/6 hours !! So the child should be allowed bring in nuts and endanger another child because his daft parents think he is somehow missing out because he cant eat a nut for 5 hours . !!

I am guessing if this was put to a child and explained about the danger that the child would be far more willing than some posters here to refrain from eating nuts for a few hours .
    I have seen it in Junior Infants myself where the little children are very aware and keep their little friend safe and make sure they have no nuts or nut spreads . Its called teaching empathy and luckily all the parents and the teacher are very good at that explaining that message

Blows my mind that you feel so entitled to expect everyone to adapt to your circumstances and not show a single morsel of gratitude to the parents who accommodate you. Quite the opposite in fact, you want to inflict punishment on parents who don't agree with your made up rules.

To all the parents who have kids with nut allergies. Have you ever been to a restaurant with your kids and if so did you lean over to the other table and ask the other diners not eat nuts.

Funny how some of the posters on this thread are the same people who then snipe at vegans on other threads.

This whole nut allergy thing is a complete nonsense.

• Advertisement

Blows my mind that you feel so entitled to expect everyone to adapt to your circumstances and not show a single morsel of gratitude to the parents who accommodate you. Quite the opposite in fact, you want to inflict punishment on parents who don't agree with your made up rules.

Hahaha . Its not my child with the allergy !!! You are a scream with your windups :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement