Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

(England) - Extinction Rebellion: High Court rules London protest ban unlawful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50316561

Delighted to see this. The powers that be want to stop the protests but they'll never succeed! We're in this for the planet!

If the powers that be wanted extinction rebellion banned or hindered they would do it. You think the courts in the UK are not influenced by what the PTB want?

Biodegradable cups and lids still need to be produced and recycled/disposed of. Taxes on stupid and lazy people are exactly what we need to change behaviour.

Everything you buy has to be produced. You will have to dispose of some element of almost every thing you purchase. Should there be a levy on everything on top of the vat we already pay? Dosent matter much to designer hippie, perpetual student, extinction rebellion types I suppose , their parents and the dole pick up their tab as they mooch their way through life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Everything you buy has to be produced. You will have to dispose of some element of almost every thing you purchase. Should there be a levy on everything on top of the vat we already pay? Dosent matter much to designer hippie, perpetual student, extinction rebellion types I suppose , their parents and the dole pick up their tab as they mooch their way through life.

We are buying too many useless things, that we don't need. And producing unnecessary rubbish. I work and earn a modest wage and live in a council estate. I agree with this levy. Never claimed dole in my life. Who on earth are you actually talking about do you know many of these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

You can swim in the sea because some hippy lefty campaigned to stop human waste being dumped near the shore.
    You can trust food because some hippy commie campaigned for proper food regulation.
    You can breath better because some lazy lefty campaigned for lead free petrol and smokeless coal in cities.
    You can enjoy the countryside because some hippy scrounger campaigned for environmental protections.

You can bet some moany old f*cks moaned about these changes at the time as well.

Turns out the hippies were right.

Hug a hippy today and thank them.

It's not about crops, it's about giving land back to nature. Most of Ireland is barren because nothing can grow on hills because of sheep, and so much land is used to grow food for cows.

The only crop a lot of these lands will grow is grass. The sheep are on the hills because nothing useful can grow there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The chart shows how much land it takes to feed people. Regardless of the calorie density of plants or steak, it still takes far far less land to feed people the same amount of calories with plants rather than meat.

Yes but that means moving production from carbon sink Irish beef to the Amazon.

There is a lot of farm land in the world that will not grow crops.

Penalizing production here will drive it to places like America, where it can then be shipped back to us.

Mercosour trade deal already started that.

Danzy wrote: »
    Yes but that means moving production from carbon sink Irish beef to the Amazon.

There is a lot of farm land in the world that will not grow crops.

Penalizing production here will drive it to places like America, where it can then be shipped back to us.

Mercosour trade deal already started that.

We already contribute to destruction of amazon through importing millions of tonnes of soy every year from there to feed irish cattle. There are too much cattle in ireland if we cant even grow enough food to feed them.

The only crop a lot of these lands will grow is grass. The sheep are on the hills because nothing useful can grow there

Right but sheep stop wild lands from flourishing which is leading to the extinction of many species in ireland. Some land should just be left alone by humans and farmed animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Yeah, I couldn't believe the flooding in so many fields on the way from Clare to Galway recently.

We already contribute to destruction of amazon through importing millions of tonnes of soy every year from there to feed irish cattle. There are too much cattle in ireland if we cant even grow enough food to feed them.

The difference between our beef and most of the beef exported around the world is that ours is 90% grass fed.

And out grassland is a massive carbon sink but that isn't taken in to account for some strange reason.

Probably because it would highlight the intense tillage countries as having their land far from being a carbon sink.

Much of that soya in the Amazon is owned by French and Dutch companies, lit of the reason the EU greenlighted the fires with Mercosour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The difference between our beef and most of the beef exported around the world is that ours is 90% grass fed.

And out grassland is a massive carbon sink but that isn't taken in to account for some strange reason.

Probably because it would highlight the intense tillage countries as having their land far from being a carbon sink.

Much of that soya in the Amazon is owned by French and Dutch companies, lit of the reason the EU greenlighted the fires with Mercosour.

It very scary that people just ignore the point about grasslands being carbon sinks...apparently grasslands are much better than forests re: carbon sinks

Right but sheep stop wild lands from flourishing which is leading to the extinction of many species in ireland. Some land should just be left alone by humans and farmed animals.

That isn't true though.

It's the other way round.

A very large % of Irish plants and especially birds depend on land being worked by humans.

The massive floral range of the Burren just one example highlighted this week.

Our overall fauna has surprisingly few plants in woods.

That being one of the reasons honey bees do so poorly near areas with a lot of native woods. There is little to nothing for insects to feed on.

We are buying too many useless things, that we don't need. And producing unnecessary rubbish. I work and earn a modest wage and live in a council estate. I agree with this levy. Never claimed dole in my life. Who on earth are you actually talking about do you know many of these people?

I am talking about the upper middle class types who call themselves activists. They have the time to engage in so called activism because they do not work, never worked in most cases, and are funded usually by wealthy parents and the dole that they claim on top of that. Don't know about you, maybe you are naturally a cheapskate using the environment as an excuse to be a cheapskate. Every penny might be a prisoner. A lot of cheapskates became environmentalist, but like you they usually don't attend protests or call themselves "activists" as if that's a job.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It very scary that people just ignore the point about grasslands being carbon sinks...apparently grasslands are much better than forests re: carbon sinks

They do sequester it much more quickly than forests but it has to be permanent grass pasture, which most our land is.

It's a safe bet to go after beef here rather than look at ones own life and carbon impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Decades ago and probably more so in the UK during WW2, you were given a reward for bringing plastic and glass bottles back to shops. And milk bottles were recycled by the milkman after a quick wash.
    Nowadays everything is manufacture and throwaway. People are lazy and also have a higher standard of living and look at the reuse of bottles as primitive.

We definitely should incentivise people to return plastic bottles to shops. Large softdrink manufacturers should be made accountable for their bottles after use, either by having them returned to shops with a reward or some other method.

We should view companies like those as we view tobacco companies.

We don't reward people in this country, we tax them instead.

I am talking about the upper middle class types who call themselves activists. They have the time to engage in so called activism because they do not work, never worked in most cases, and are funded usually by wealthy parents and the dole that they claim on top of that. Don't know about you, maybe you are naturally a cheapskate using the environment as an excuse to be a cheapskate. Every penny might be a prisoner. A lot of cheapskates became environmentalist, but like you they usually don't attend protests or call themselves "activists" as if that's a job.

And still you manage to get an insult in. You dont come acrosd as a nice person on these forums at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's not that they ignore , they choose to be ignorant of certain facts.

They do sequester it much more quickly than forests but it has to be permanent grass pasture, which most our land is.

It's a safe bet to go after beef here rather than look at ones own life and carbon impact.

How does tillage compare to grasslands re: sequestering carbon?

Also the west's love of cheap throw away fashion items has to have an impact on carbon levels...the amount of people who buy holiday clothes from Penny's to use wear them once on holidays and leave them behind. There has to be a carbon cost in that?

Also the west's love of cheap throw away fashion items has to have an impact on carbon levels...the amount of people who buy holiday clothes from Penny's to use wear them once on holidays and leave them behind. There has to be a carbon cost in that?

Fashion accounts for 10 per cent of carbon emissions whilst air travel is 2 per cent.

Fashion accounts for 10 per cent of carbon emissions whilst air travel is 2 per cent.

That's absolutely insane

• Advertisement

That's absolutely insane

Yes but if we wind down Dublin airport according to a poster here we are sorted. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.thejournal.ie/coffee-cups-levy-4879620-Nov2019/

A levy of 25c on coffee cups is coming. Not the best but a start. I would prefer to see a levy of E1 or more to actually make a difference.

See your brainwashed already, its a tax not a levy, levy sounds better doesn't it,
    I never thought i would see the day when people were asking to pay more tax.

Tillage land destroys carbon in the soil by ploughing constantly, exposing it to microbial action.

Organic matter on my farm soil tested at 14%.

Across most of Europe it varies from 0 to 2%.

Just off permanent pasture alone we'd nearly be carbon neutral as a country.

That is dependent on cattle on it mind, that is where the large scake sequestration happens.

That isn't a reason for us not to push on with being a greener country but a call not to target our natural success story in that already out of personal biases.

I'd do anything for my kids*

* unless it mildly inconveniences me or Costs any money.

20Cent wrote: »
    I'd do anything for my kids*

* unless it mildly inconveniences me or Costs any money.

Be better for the planet if you have none. ;-)

Tillage land destroys carbon in the soil by ploughing constantly, exposing it to microbial action.

Organic matter on my farm soil tested at 14%.

Across most of Europe it varies from 0 to 2%.

Just off permanent pasture alone we'd nearly be carbon neutral as a country.

That is dependent on cattle on it mind, that is where the large scake sequestration happens.

That isn't a reason for us not to push on with being a greener country but a call not to target our natural success story in that already out of personal biases.

But if Ireland is able to produce Beef in a more carbon efficient* way than other countries should we not be encouraged to continue while other countries who don't produce beef in such am efficient way be encouraged to divert that land for potential more environmentally beneficial uses.

The EU could very much do it by the way of grants and aid money.

*I don't know how carbon efficient our beef farming is, but i hear it from many different sources that Ireland is in fact one the most efficient

Free course about climate change sign up to learn about it from an expert.

https://www.edx.org/course/climate-change-the-science-and-global-impact

20Cent wrote: »
    Free course about climate change sign up to learn about it from an expert.

https://www.edx.org/course/climate-change-the-science-and-global-impact

With funding from sources such as Bill and Melinda Gates. Might just pass on the opportunity thanks.

But if Ireland is able to produce Beef in a more carbon efficient* way than other countries should we not be encouraged to continue while other countries who don't produce beef in such am efficient way be encouraged to divert that land for potential more environmentally beneficial uses.

The EU could very much do it by the way of grants and aid money.

*I don't know how carbon efficient our beef farming is, but i hear it from many different sources that Ireland is in fact one the most efficient
    It should but then political quid pro quos come in to play, economic horse trading.

• Advertisement

With funding from sources such as Bill and Melinda Gates. Might just pass on the opportunity thanks.

Out of interest what sources do you believe in relation to climate change?

Advertisement