Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

https://www.thejournal.ie/coffee-cups-levy-4879620-Nov2019/

A levy of 25c on coffee cups is coming. Not the best but a start. I would prefer to see a levy of E1 or more to actually make a difference.

Agreed. People will moan about 25c but they'll pay it and continue to buy coffee in paper cups. It's not a disincentive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

https://www.thejournal.ie/coffee-cups-levy-4879620-Nov2019/

A levy of 25c on coffee cups is coming. Not the best but a start. I would prefer to see a levy of E1 or more to actually make a difference.

Most coffee cups and lids are now biodegradable, what's the levy for? The levy would just be another way for the swine in government to tap the public for more money, that's the bottom line for pigs like Pascal and friends.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Agreed. People will moan about 25c but they'll pay it and continue to buy coffee in paper cups. It's not a disincentive at all.

But it will make them feel better about themselves and that's what this is all about, not making a difference so much as making yourself feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most coffee cups and lids are now biodegradable, what's the levy for? The levy would just be another way for the swine in government to tap the public for more money, that's the bottom line for pigs like Pascal and friends.

They're not really biodegradable. Look it up. Things like take away coffee are not necesarry and produce ridiculous amounts of rubbish. So tax the sh*t out of them i say, it will change our behaviour for the good. Dont buy take away coffee if youre concerned about the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

lol, nearly all our land is to grow food for cows already, and we export 90% of the beef and dairy we produce. So we aren't even feeding ourselves.

This happy image might help

66c605025ec6b8e2e845165349644de8.jpg

7e12a2c7ae9f018f18b6e5268419b8ad.jpg

If we all went vegan, we'd have far more land to give back to nature. That's not going to happen though, but producing less beef and dairy would help our environment alright.

That chart is so misleading it is virtually useless. It completely ignored nutrition and calories. Half a pound of steak is like 3 or 4 times the calories of spuds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭randd1

They're not really biodegradable. Look it up. Things like take away coffee are not necesarry and produce ridiculous amounts of rubbish. So tax the sh*t out of them i say, it will change our behaviour for the good. Dont buy take away coffee if youre concerned about the price.

Or better yet, buy a reusable cup.

Or even better, don't buy coffee, that way we won't have acres of rainforest cut down to grow the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gannicus wrote: »
    Reclaiming all that land for farming is grand in theory, but it does and will have inherent problems down the line

just look to the UK our nearest neighbours for proof of this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28003435

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/02/arable-land-soil-food-security-shortage

It also makes me concerned that if temperatures are rising and we have more of these drought warnings that we may create our own version of the US Dustbowl from farming due to ploughing and harvesting of crops leading to soil erosion

https://www.history.com/topics/great-depression/dust-bowl

The ammout of ploughing done In Ireland is tiny, most agri land here is permanent pasture.

So it's a massive carbon sink, when cattle are on it.

Biodegradable cups and lids still need to be produced and recycled/disposed of. Taxes on stupid and lazy people are exactly what we need to change behaviour.

I think eventually they will have to ban single use coffee and tea cups and possibly single use water bottles as well.

Often takes 5 minutes to drink from these and if not recycled which many of them aren't they stay around for hundreds of years.

I think eventually they will have to ban single use coffee and tea cups and possibly single use water bottles as well.

Often takes 5 minutes to drink from these and if not recycled which many of them aren't they stay around for hundreds of years.

They could at least ensure new products have to meet some kind of environmental standard or have a reason to actually exist before they come on the market. Who needs another fizzy drink in a plastic bottle on the market? Or more ready meals? etc. No one is who!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Robert_Beach

Deffo. I take a look at the drinks fridge in shops and my heart drops. Even worse if it's one of them open chillers. Row after row of fizzy drink, think of all the single use plastic involved in it, the dirty transportation that got it there etc etc all to be used in 5 minutes and thrown in the bin.

That chart is so misleading it is virtually useless. It completely ignored nutrition and calories. Half a pound of steak is like 3 or 4 times the calories of spuds.

The chart shows how much land it takes to feed people. Regardless of the calorie density of plants or steak, it still takes far far less land to feed people the same amount of calories with plants rather than meat.

Decades ago and probably more so in the UK during WW2, you were given a reward for bringing plastic and glass bottles back to shops. And milk bottles were recycled by the milkman after a quick wash.
    Nowadays everything is manufacture and throwaway. People are lazy and also have a higher standard of living and look at the reuse of bottles as primitive.

We definitely should incentivise people to return plastic bottles to shops. Large softdrink manufacturers should be made accountable for their bottles after use, either by having them returned to shops with a reward or some other method.

We should view companies like those as we view tobacco companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Robert_Beach

(England) - Extinction Rebellion: High Court rules London protest ban unlawful

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50316561

Delighted to see this. The powers that be want to stop the protests but they'll never succeed! We're in this for the planet!

The chart shows how much land it takes to feed people. Regardless of the calorie density of plants or steak, it still takes far far less land to feed people the same amount of calories with plants rather than meat.

Yes that is true, but that chart is extremely misleading. Charts like that just further the general distrust people have of this sort of agenda.

Similarly its not like people eat 100% meat in their diet. Reducing meat consumption to zero is not actually all that beneficial as a lot of the land is not suitable for crops. A balanced approach combined with a general reduction (not elimination) of meat is far better.

Yes that is true, but that chart is extremely misleading. Charts like that just further the general distrust people have of this sort of agenda.

Similarly its not like people eat 100% meat in their diet. Reducing meat consumption to zero is not actually all that beneficial as a lot of the land is not suitable for crops. A balanced approach combined with a general reduction (not elimination) of meat is far better.

It's not about crops, it's about giving land back to nature. Most of Ireland is barren because nothing can grow on hills because of sheep, and so much land is used to grow food for cows.

It's not about crops, it's about giving land back to nature. Most of Ireland is barren because nothing can grow on hills because of sheep, and so much land is used to grow food for cows.

Its primarily about feeding people in the most effective manner, surely? Giving land back to nature is a meaningless soundbite in and of itself, we are part of nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As usual, you don't have to look far into the effluent output by greenies to find the 5h1t.
    Carrying capacity was generally higher for scenarios with less meat and highest for the lacto-vegetarian diet. However, the carrying capacity of the vegan diet was lower than two of the healthy omnivore diet scenarios.
    https://www.elementascience.org/articles/10.12952/journal.elementa.000116/

cnocbui wrote: »
    As usual, you don't have to look far into the effluent output by greenies to find the 5h1t.

https://www.elementascience.org/articles/10.12952/journal.elementa.000116/

This is because they are solely concerned about environmental effects, being able to actually feed people is not something they are concerned about.

A lot hills have bog on them or next to no topsoil. The sheep are a symptom, not a cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Bottled water should be banned fullstop.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Bottled water should be banned fullstop.

well that'd be nice but the way things are going it may be the only water we can drink in Ireland sooner or later

• Registered Users Posts: 85,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel it is now the in thing "protesting for global warming"

I'll be honest I am not clued in but I do support anything Leonardo DiCaprio related :p

well that'd be nice but the way things are going it may be the only water we can drink in Ireland sooner or later

Bulldust.

Bulldust.

well I wasn't able to drink my tap water last night or a couple of weeks ago. Our water infrastructure here is not up to task, and people don't want to pay for it.

well I wasn't able to drink my tap water last night or a couple of weeks ago. Our water infrastructure here is not up to task, and people don't want to pay for it.

So out of 5 million people, how many were unable to drink the water last night? I'll start you off, I was, and there isn't any chlorine in it either.

I get several power blackouts a year, but I never assume everyone in the country is affected or that it heralds the imminent collapse of civilisation.

So out of 5 million people, how many were unable to drink the water last night? I'll start you off, I was, and there isn't any chlorine in it either.

I get several power blackouts a year, but I never assume everyone in the country is affected or that it heralds the imminent collapse of civilisation.

600,000. A lot of people no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Can I just ask, this may sound ridiculous as fcuk but what happens to the biological waste in our brown bins whenthey are lifted.

We used to keep a compost bin at home and rotate it instead of using the brown bin but the fly and the smell quickly outweighed the benefots of having it. is there a bigger scheme in operation and if not could this be used to terraform barren land over the coming generations?

600,000. A lot of people no?

There have been boil water notices for years in the west, they may not affect as many people but they have lasted a lot longer in cumulative hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nothing stopping you from drinking it, just not advisable. I doubt our drought stricken friends would be so Choosey.

Advertisement