Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

Ah yeah I don't binge like that anymore, what can I say I was 18 and feckless! So many people had said to me not to drink with anti-biotics, guess they were right. Mind you the mad stuff that happened on Monday was 3 days after taking my last augmenten (I remebered the type of anti-biotic) and we would've finished up drinking around 3 or 4am Sunday so the presence/spirits/halucinations came in over 12 hours later.

Was thinking loads about this last night and looking back on some of the crazy things that have happened me;

When I was about 15 I fancied a lad that I hung out with. I really fancied him but he had a girlfriend and his brother fancied me so nothing was to come of it.

One afternoon I was reading a magazine (it was a real tween magazine, Sugar, or Just 17 or something) and there was an article about Out of body experiences. At the end of the girls "real life story" was a "guide to having an OBE" I thought it was daft but as I wasn't doing anything else I'd give it a go. I removed all my jewlerry as instructed (because material things can weigh the etheral body down??) I then followed the breathing instructions breathe in for a count of 7, hold for 5, breathe out for a count of 7, hold for 5.

The breathing technique seemed very technical and I was suppose to repeat for a number of counts (may have been 20) I remember thinking its not very relaxing if your trying to remember what count your on.

Well, one of the instructions was DO NOT FALL ASLEEP, and of couse I did just that.

I dreamt I was in the guy that I fancied house. I had visited the house once, by the back field so never saw the front of the house and was only in the kitchen.

In the dream I was in the hall, hovering near the ceiling. I looked down the hall way and could tell that the brothers(the lad i fancied and his brother that fancied me) room was on my left, the next room and the room at the end of the hall I was confused as to which was the parents bedroom and which was the little sisters. And on my right were two rooms, they both seemed to be bathrooms which confused me because no-one has two bathrooms in their house, not side by side anyway. (I remember thinking all this in the dream)

Finally I moved into the lads room. One of them was near the ceiling like me. I could tell that in the wardrobe there was a pair of shoes with cigarettes in them? In the corner, near the door (below me) there was a computer or something electrical and something was wrong with it.

The dream ended. I woke to a bright light and remember thinking that this was heaven but actually I had been asleep for a few hours and the sun was now shining in on top of me.

I recited my dream to a friend of mine, he went white as i told him. He asked if I was messing with him, that it wasn't funny and then he explained what I had seen. Yes the boys room was on the left (from where I was) and next their parents room, then their little sisters room at the end of the hall. The next two rooms that had caused the confusion were actually the batroom with the toilet seperate, next door to the bathroom! I couldn't believe it.

I asked about their room and I got the layout down to a T, even where they hid their cigatettes. In the dream I didn't realize they had bunkbeds but when my friend said this then it made sense why one of them was at the same level as me. Also they had a computer but the tv they used as a monitor didn't work.

I got slagged for weeks over this, was called a witch and all sorts, but a few years later I got with the guy that I fancied, just thought ye might like to know that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

This is quite a fascinating subject... my mum actually did something like that as well, and described the house of a person she liked at the time to them.

Mad. I didn't think it had anything to do with fact that I fancied him, but I thought there may have been some power of 3 conection because I fancied him, his brother fancied me, some freaky love triangle karma thing going on.

Before I visited my current boyf's house I described it to him. We were in Oz at the time and he was coming home. I got the layout of his room all wrong...till he got home, rang me and told me his room had been re decorated, matched my description (almost) to a T. Freaked him out loads, but we're still together so obviously not enough to scare him away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Archeron wrote:
    My gran spoke of something like this as she was dying in hospital. She seemed delerious, and started speaking to her husband who had died about 50 years previous. She said she could see bright light in front of her, and minutes later she had passed on. Someone told me that this is known as dying from the feet up which is quite rare, but aside from books, I've never known anyone else to experience this. Were you calm or terrified?
    Actually, this happened to my nan before she passed on a few years back, was talking to me in her bed, but kept turning towards the ceiling and talking to her husband who had died in '78 and whom i never met... lots of other figures from her life were there with her also i remember, it re-inforced my own belief of some form of afterlife indeed.

On another note, only a couple of days ago i could get the feeling that someone was in my sitting room with me, instinctivly i turned toward me kitchen door to notice the plastic thing you hang socks on swinging a bit, even though all doors and windows were shut, and only me in the room at the time. The very next day my dad has 2 seizures [ he's epileptic ] out in the open... glad he wasn't hurt by it. But i'm not sure of another thing which happened on the day my dad got out of hospital, whereby i seen two seperate things which could only be described as a flash of light but looked like a giant snowflake to me, once i caught it in a mirror in my sitting room, the second time it appeared right next to my mother.

I believe that the objects i have seen could be a family member making their presence known, seeing as my dad was ill, but i dunno what to make of them really unless any others know of this occuring elsewhere.

That is one thing which has happened to me, i've seen various spirits in old buildings close to where i live, most are now demolished as i used to play in them as a child but the spirits didn't bother me as i was watching them, unafraid.

But i'm not sure of another thing which happened on the day my dad got out of hospital, whereby i seen two seperate things which could only be described as a flash of light but looked like a giant snowflake to me, once i caught it in a mirror in my sitting room, the second time it appeared right next to my mother.

I believe that the objects i have seen could be a family member making their presence known, seeing as my dad was ill, but i dunno what to make of them really unless any others know of this occuring elsewhere.

I think your right! I often see flashes of light or sometimes light in the corner of my eye...kinda out of reach from my sight, like if I look to see it then its gone and I think these are my guardian angels making themselves known and making me aware of what Im doing at the time and to be careful. I love it when it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Ardent

No ghost story here but something I've never been able to explain.

I worked in Sligo IT for a while, they had just built a new engineering building and I went over there to do some admin work on the student PCs upstairs. After finishing my work, I was heading back in the direction of the double doors at the top of the stairs when they just swung open fully as I approached them.

No-one around. We're talking about bog standard double doors here, not electronic or anything. There was no draft or breeze and they would have been too heavy anyway to be opened by moving air. I surprised at first and then a bit freaked and went through the doors as quickly as I could, looking back at them the whole time as I descended the stairs.

Weird.

Maybe the doors didn't like me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ardent wrote:
    ...... swung open fully as I approached them......Maybe the doors didn't like me.

That may not be a "ghost story" but it may be as valid a paranormal experience as any?

As for it not liking you, it opened the doors not slammed them in your face. So spirits are just well mannered. If entities are the disembodied spirits of people who have lived (which i believe) then surely there is as varied a selection of personalities, some would be funny, some assholes and some very curtious? .... just watch out for the randy ones!

6th

I got the layout of his room all wrong...till he got home, rang me and told me his room had been re decorated, matched my description (almost) to a T. Freaked him out loads, but we're still together so obviously not enough to scare him away!

I've found that with these sort of things, you're almost completely right, as in not 100%. I've yet to work out why this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭Archeron

Many many moons ago (about 12 years ago) I was studying for the leaving Cert in my school. I come from a large family, so study at home wasnt possible, and the school owners were kind enough to let us study there. On this day, there was me and a friend of mine studying.
    Just to give the mental image of the layout of the room, imagine a huge 2nd floor hallway. Along one side, say east to west is a really long corridor with wooden floor. The remainder of the room, (ie that which is not the corridor) has been cheaply converted into three classrooms. I say cheaply as the walls moved quite easily. So you end up with three class rooms with cheap walls and a very very long corridor running alongside them.
    On this day, we heard a creaking from the corridor, and when looked up realized that the wall of the class room we were in (the centre class room of the three) was being pushed inwards towards us. You could actually see the wall bending in the middle, and the creaking was the pressure of where the cheap wall was pressing against the ceiling. We sat there for a few moments, and realized that whatever was pushing the wall was moving gradually up the wall towards the door. The door was an olden type with one of those perfectly round door handles. When the pushing against the wall reached the door itself, something grasped the round handle and shook it with an incredible strength. No joking, this was an unbelieveable speed for a round door handle to move at. I am a strong person, and I couldnt even achieve half of this speed. While it was still moving, we jumped up to the door, expected to fling it open and find some of our mates there laughing. I grasped the handle, barely able to keep my hand on it with the fast paced movements, and I ripped the door open, and there was nothing outside at all, only the long dark corridor. to say there was a menacing feeling in the air is no exaggeration, it felt like something, (whatever the heck it was) was seriously out to do some harm to somebody,and we immediately packed our bags and left. Last time that we did actually study in the school after dark. I know this probably sounds like a bit of a cliché story, but every word is true. The school in question has a lot of rumours about it as to various different things that have been spotted both inside the school, and inside the lush forested grounds. I'm sure most of the stories were BS, but i certainly dont think they all were!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Where abouts is the school?

tk123 wrote:
    Where abouts is the school?

the school is Belcamp college on the Malahide road, just between Darndale and Balgriffin. I believe its closing this year for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Taters

I only have one, and tis a rather short one too.
    But anyway, I'll share it.

I was in Co. Kerry, twas about 3 am on a summer morning.
    My cousin Bláthnaid and I where looking out at a field.
    It was not pitch dark twas kind of like evening. Well we saw this figure.
    Twas a woman, she had long hair (I think it was blonde) and had a long, white dress on. She was walking slowly in the field. So we got the binoculars and looked at the field with them. There was no one there.

There you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

magnumlady wrote:
    I was very calm, and really at peace. I can still see the image now, it was so clear, because of this I wouldn't be afraid of dying. I saw relatives that had died before I was even born and it was just like they had come to get me but it was really clear in my mind that if I left my room then there was no going back.

Scarey yes, but very reassuring to know that you have a "welcoming committee" to greet you when your time comes.

About seven to nine years ago I woke up in the middle of the night, it's not too uncommon for me to do that as I am a light sleeper. This night however I woke up facing out of the bed which was unusual for me, and standing about 18 inches away from the bed, was a young girl, she was ages about 4 or 5 and despite the room been very dark ( I have no idea what time it was but it was the middle of the night) she could very clearly be seen. As I said she look about 4 to 6 years old, and was dressed in a fancy dress, although she did look dishevelled. Normally I would of thought that I would of been very scared, I'm uncomfortable enough in a dark room, but I just lay there for a minute and looked at her she looked back at me, there was nothing said, communicated and no awarkedness or discomfort.

Now that inself is strange enough, but it definetly happened. The thing is my mother became pregnant when I was 2 or 3 years old, unfortunaley she miscarried. Just before my 5 birthday I broke my leg and had to have a total of 3 operations to repair it, I had just started school 2 weeks earlier (my brithday is 24 of septermber and cash gifts are ok!!) as you can imagine it was a stresful time for a young child. Anyhow I had an experience during one of the operations, basically I was in the operating theater on my own still lying on the bed, only when I looked over to my left ther was a young girl (she was about 3, which would of been the age of my brother or sister had they lived), she two was dressed in a fancy dress, this time she looked clean though.
    For some reason I associated even from an early age the the girl in the operating theatre was the "sister" I had lost. Then years later a young girl who looked quite similiar appears in my bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭WalkswithDeath

on the 18th of this month i was in bus eirus waiting for my bus to go home. i want down stairs to use the ladies toilet. i always get the feeling that someone is watching me in that place any way i was washing my hands when someone one said hello there i said hi back and looked around to see who was talking to me there was no one there i turned back around to turn of the taps and in the mirror was a young girl about 20 with a straw hat and a shall standing behind me she smiled and then she was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thats like one my nana told me! My uncle is a taxi driver and the cab office is open all night. One night the night time guy is sitting there playing with the computer or something and he looks up to see a woman sitting in one of the chairs. He said she was dressed in early 1900s clothes - like a bonnet and shawl - he thought it was somebody in fancy dress. Anyhoos he asks can I help you/do you need a taxi and she stood up and walked through the wall. Apparently a few other employees saw ghosts in the same kind of clothes walking thru the walls... My uncle told everyone at the time not to tell my nana until they moved into their new office so she wouldn't get spooked and stop coming by to make them tea! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Wow, I loved reading down through all those stories! I hope there is more to come!

Since my early teens I have had total facination with anything related to ghosts, ufo's and the paranormal etc. I always found cynics and skeptics to be a totally arogant and frustratingly race of people.

I lost interest in the topic in my mid 20's but kind of regained some of the interest when I started watching mediums such as John Edward on TV.

The frustrating thing for me is that to my knowledge I don't believe I have had anything significantly paranormal happen to me. I am so jealous of people who have as I would dearly love to. I don't scare easily and I believe I wouldn't be the type to run away screaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

uh..I ran, not screaming but that was only because nothing would come out of my mouth (and it wasn't even that scary)

I've had a few strange experiences, some were relatively nice and comforting others were just freaky.
    of the freakier ones, I was engulfed in some sort of sparkling light while sitting by my puter one night. Thought it was my eyes and did a lot of blinking, then thought maybe it was lightning so I went to turn off the puter but it was starting to freak me out at that stage as it was becomming more apparant, so I got up and ran to the hallway to get away from any electrical equipment, crouched in a corner and took a deep breath thinking I was safe.
    I really thought my house was under fire from a lot of lightning. Then looking up to see if the coast was clear and it came rushing at me from the front door, like a blast of..eh light energy. Think of how it might look to watch a bolt of lightning comming directly at you.
    So I run back to my room and sit down thinking I was hallucinating or something and it's all around me. It was like sitting in a soft electrical haze, all sparkly and flashing. as I calmed myself down, it eventually faded away.
    [edit:should add, I was chatting with someone online when this started and he was talking about sending his "spirit" to "hug" me, when I began to tell him what was happening he laughed and said it leave when it was ready..go figure]

Some time before hand (maybe 8mths previous) I had been driving back from galway with some friends when there was a swooping light in the sky, we all saw it and couldn't figure out what it was, as we watched it the car lights start fading in and out, the engine started coughing and spluttering and the radio droned to a halt, along with the rest of the car. We were in the middle of nowhere in pitch darkness and the car wouldn't start, freaked us all out a bit :)

We did get the car going eventually and I have no alien abuction knowledge to report thankfully, it ws just a freaky episode and I'm only glad there were four other witnesses.

I started having sleep paralysis after that and the whole electrical/energy connection thing became a daily occurance. I'm thinking maybe we got hit by some freak electromagentic storm, which caused the later interferances lol

Was all years ago though...think I've calmed down now somewhat :D

have a few other experiences too, will share when I'm not so tired.

When my mum was in her early twenties, her and her sister were walking through Dublins O Connell Street. At roughly the point where the floozie in the jacuzzi statue used to be, there was a bench. On it sat what they described as an attractive young woman with jet black hair. They say they were concerned because of the fact that she was combing it with a big black comb. They caught her attention, at which point she changed into a venomous looking hag, and she hurled her comb at the two of them. She missed, but less than a week later, their brother was killed by a bus in the very same street. I always found this strange, cos if it was a banshee, its the first time I've heard of one appearing in such a public place. I have heard tales of these things before, but with the exception of the above story, always in spooky settings such as forests, fields etc.

solas wrote:

Some time before hand (maybe 8mths previous) I had been driving back from galway with some friends when there was a swooping light in the sky, we all saw it and couldn't figure out what it was, as we watched it the car lights start fading in and out, the engine started coughing and spluttering and the radio droned to a halt, along with the rest of the car. We were in the middle of nowhere in pitch darkness and the car wouldn't start, freaked us all out a bit :)

We did get the car going eventually and I have no alien abuction knowledge to report thankfully, it ws just a freaky episode and I'm only glad there were four other witnesses.

Classic case of alien abduction alright. It would be interesting if you noticed that all of a sudden a few hours had passed and you had no recollection of what happened during that time.

Did you have an itchy arse soon after?? hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

py2006 wrote:
    Did you have an itchy arse soon after?? hehe
    now that you mention it... :)

Naturally, my initial thoughts were along those lines, no doubt the others were thinking the same but no one said a word, it was all too eerie. I did rib them when we got the motor running again (one of the tyres had gone flat too so that had to be changed) to check the clock to make sure we hadn't lost an hour. I was the only one thought it was funny though.

ah well..
    Funnily I would class many of my "spiritual experiences" as having mutli dimensional emphasis. The sleep paralysis in particularI refer to as the mother ship experience :)

Its all been some time since it occured and feels like a distant part of my memory now. Was fun at the time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

My grandmother, my dad & siblings used to live in an old 3-storey Victorian terrace in Ardoyne, Belfast. They are full of stories of "something" that caused noises upstairs in the house, and which gave them all the impression of watching them from the top of the stairs. Plus each would (individuall) have a glimpse of something at the top of the stairs, just outside of vision at the corner of the eye, when coming home from school etc. They never had the feeling it was maelevolent so while it scared them, they weren't terrrified.

In the 70's. the Ardoyne was (still is) a flashpoint for sectarian violence. My grandmother & daughter (my aunt) recounted a tale to me as a wee'un of when there was a riot going on outside. The two of them decided to move out of the front room and into the kitchen - but when my grandmother tried to open the door from livingroom to hallway, it was jammed solid. This scared them as they thought someone would come into the house, or a petrol bomb would come in the window etc. Right then, after 30 seconds of tugging at the door there's an almighty crash in the hallway, and a bang - this sends aunt & grandmother into more hysterics, but they calm down as there's no more noise and they say "let's just move to the kitchen now" - and when they try the door, it opens as easily as anything. In the hallway, there's a full brick which was thrown through the glass panel above the front door. If my grandmother had gone into the hallway, the brick would have brained her. She reckoned that whatever was in the house had protected her. An my aunt always backed that story up.

Scroll forward to the late 80's and my grandmother is very frail. A normal sunny day, and she's sitting in the front room with my uncle. There's a car outside with a flat tyre, the owner and a girl are trying hard to change the wheel but there's something up (eg. the spare itself is punctured).

My grandmother just tells my uncle, with no pre-amble. "Go and help that young man or see if he wants to use the phone, he's just a poor wee soldier and he'll be murdered if he stays outside there much longer".

And it turns out she was right - the lad was a soldier not from the area, with his girlfriend and they are bricking it that they broke down in Ardoyne of all places. I think the girlfriend said as much when she waited inside with my grandmother. With the spare pumped up with a foot-pump, the two are on their way. Make of that what you will, they all reckon the information/will came from the same thing that protected them from opening the door at the wrong moment.

Jeez... had forgotten these stories, I remember being petrified of that house when I was small after hearing these things.

Ok partially to keep this thread alive (and what a great one it is) and partially coz i dont think it merrits a thread of its own I'm posting a small expereince i had during last week in Central Park.

As i was walking through a small tunnel with my beautiful wife (who's most likely reading this ... so hi sexy ;)) I saw the spirit of a man in his late 20's sitting on a small stone ledge 3rd in on the right in the photo) looking at the ground, once i walked through I turned and took a picture, i couldnt see him there anymore but took the pic anyway as i felt him still around. Anyway here's the pic plus on that i adjusted the contrast on to show that the shaft of light originates inside the tunnel, was a bright warm day and no flash was used.

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3336_2.jpg

I'm posting this as an experience as the OT sets out and not as a photograph who's credability needs to be clawwed at.

6th

Wow, great pic! It definitely looks like something is trying to materialise or something like that! I am no expert!

I will be in New York in a few weeks so I must look out for that tunnel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

My experiences are highly positive. Being haunted is great. Makes life more interesting

My experiences are highly positive. Being haunted is great. Makes life more interesting

I would tend to agree with you, having experienced things since i was very young I can say that have only had a few bad ones.

You gonna share any of your experiences on here?

6th

Well...it was out of the blue. My life was a little flat at the time. Suddenly, I was contacted by a really, energetic creature.

It was the 20-1-06 when it happened I think. I was minding my own business when all of a sudden, I came into contact with something...other than I had experienced before.

Ive been in regular contact since then and a connection has been established. Bye;)

Well...it was out of the blue. My life was a little flat at the time. Suddenly, I was contacted by a really, energetic creature.

It was the 20-1-06 when it happened I think. I was minding my own business when all of a sudden, I came into contact with something...other than I had experienced before.

Ive been in regular contact since then and a connection has been established. Bye;)

Hmmm, sounds like bull to me!

I'm somewhat doubting the above myself, but I'm not dismissing it. Sounds just a little OTT, which is why I have my doubts...

It's really annoying, 'cause I havent had any experiences with ghosts in quite a while.

Nor have I to be honest... any really wierd experiences that I've had not within the past couple of years are usually something completely different...

• Advertisement

Well this isnt Bull and it did happen. A spirit has being contacting me

Your very vague!!! Details???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

A spirit of ancient Irish legend, I'll bet! "Jeremiah and Grainne?" No, that's not right. Jeremiah is not an Irish name, but wait a minute! What's Jeremiah in Irish? I think it starts with a "D." Anyway, if you are related to this D character in spirit, then it may be the spirit of Grainne that haunts you now, especially in the night when you attempt to sleep. Did she place her head upon your chest and go to sleep? That would be a sure sign it was Grainne. And did you find bread crumbs in your bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

Ahhh, if it was a female ghost, she would be really impressed that you remembered the first date of contact. Were there any bread crumbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Oki Doki,

Well I am not really a believer in ghosts, or paranormal or fate or that kind of stuff. I prefer the rational, scientific explanation, when possible.
    However, I would not discount any of this as rubbish, etc.

To tell the truth, I have been fascinated by this thread, and have my own story to contribute. But right now I have a job to finish, but will post later.

Well done to the OP for a truely legendary thread. The only long thread I have ever read from start to finish without stopping.

Cheers

Right, I am back, and fed :)

I am sure you are all dying to read my story, but be warned, it is very tame compared to others here. Firstly, this actually happened to my maternal grandfather, and was re-told to me by my mother, who is a very down to earth, no nonsense type of person.

When my mother was a child, she was in a school play in the school or town hall. My grandfather was a butcher, and due to work he was late for the play. This meant when he got there he had to stand at the back of the hall, in the aisle near the door.
    During the play, he felt a breeze as if the door behind him opened. Then he felt something rub against his leg. When he looked down, he saw part of a pale blue, (almost white), dress brush past him. There was nothing else, just like part of a ladies dress move past him and fade away in the aisle.
    This happened in or around Chapelizoid (sp). I don't know if there is any history of anyone dying in the hall, I never heard more than that.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks prospect. Mustve made a big impression if its been told thru the family like that. Whats your take on it, do you have any rational ideas? Oh, and nobody has to have died in the hall. The alleged spirit in question may just like drama.:)

Hello KatieK,

Em, the only thing that I can think of is a combintation of someone leaving/entering causing a shaft of low light in an otherwise dim room, and a breeze, and this combined with a plume of cigarette smoke? (no smoking ban back then)...

Other than that possibility, I dunno?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

I dunno if I only imagined this or not. But I recall something weird happening a few months ago. I woke up, and then see what I think is like that thing in "The Mothman Prophecies" or shaped like it, except sortof composed of dust, which suddenly dispersed. Wonder ever since was I imagining it. Also that voice on the radio now is quite scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i have 2 stories...
    1 invloves my sister and the other indirectly involves me...

1st off... my sister went to college in Killfinnan(sp?),Limerick. Since we live in dublin she was obviously renting a house. she shared it wit 3 other girls. now the house thy were living in was down a country lane of sorts. my sister used to talk about seeing weird lights moving and changing colours in the garden and living room but always passed it off as cars going past etc. until 1 night thy came back from an end of year cermony type thing to change before going to the pub to celebrate but came home to find the 2 outside lights going on/off rapidly. thinking it was a fault of some sort thy turned the lights of from the fuse box and went on. as thy walked out of the house the lights started to go mad again yet the pwer would not have been going to them...

the ppl in the house always talked about noise and footsteps upstairs, doors banging and even once 1 girl walked into the kitchen to find all the press doors hanging off there hinges! needless to say she moved soon after that happened

the other story is when i was on holidays in south africa. my uncle lives over there. while we were there we visited his holiday home in a town called Montague(sp?). its a big place with a big dining room that has a table to seat about 30 ppl! there are bedrooms at either end(i was in 1 my parents in the other) and then some further on at the back of the house. we were staying there for 3 days. on the 2nd night my da gets up to go to the toilet and on his way back notices a woman in a long white night dress standing at the end of the big table.. thinking it was my cousin/sister/aunt he had woken up he apologised and went back to bed.

the next morning sitting around the table my dad asked who he had woken last night and thy all said thy hadnt been woken adn that none of them owned a long white night dress..

after we had left the house my mam told me the truth be hind this. i was only 14 at the time and didnt wanna scare me! the room that i had been staying in was haunted. the woman that my dad had seen was the mother of 2 kids that lived there years and years ago. the mother and 2 kids had died in a fire in the house. every night the woman would sit up out of the bed i was sleeping in(this freaked the **** outta me) and walk into the dining room before running back into the room. at the back of the room i was sleeping in was a bricked up hallway that brought you into the back bedroom where my uncle sleeps. the woman runs back into the room and through the back wall but never appears on the other side.

my uncle has been told that she is running to check on her kids when she notices the fire but is too late to get to them! this happens every night apparently. the woman never causes any harm or any mischief.

my parents moved me outta that room for the last night we stayed there but had never told me why! i still get chills thinking about how i shared a bed with a ghost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

My ex told me a story very recently of her experience. I know its not first hand but she isnt the type to make up or believe this stuff. While in her friends house many years ago she saw things and felt things. Sitting on a bed with her friend the hair of the friend was visibly lifted up and tugged at by an invisible force while my ex attempted to pull it back. Later on when calling to the door they seen through the blurred glass pane a black figure cross the landing at the top of the stairs . She maintains that there was no one in the house at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

I've got a few stories. Let me start off by saying I've never seen a ghost, but I have heard and felt them. I grew up in the MidWest and we had an old barn on the property that was over 100 years old. The things my brother and I used to get up to in that barn should have killed us both, but we were never hurt.

One day were were unloading a hay wagon into the loft. My brother was on top of the haywagon, on top of the stack of hay, which was about seven tiers high. He steps over to grab another haybale, when the three under his feet fall out of the stack. He falls too. Now, there wasn't much danger in him hitting the ground; it was about two feet of loose straw and hay, but he falls right over the tongue of the wagon. He was facing up and the back of his head and neck are on a collision course with the steel tongue. I was sitting on the tractor, watching him fall. John's trying desperately to curl his head up, because he realizes the tongue is right under him. About a foot above the tongue, he just tips up about six inches, like someone put thier hand under his shoulders. There was no way he could have done that himself. I was the only one that could see that happen, because everyone else was in the hayloft, so I didn't say anything.

Later on, we pulled the barn down and built a new one on top of it. I was carrying a 50 lb. sack of feed towards a small door. Now, I'm small and I was only 10 or 12 at the time, so the feedsack was getting the better of me and I had to open the door to get it inside. Just as I get there, the door opens on its own. It wasn't the wind, because the wind doesn't turn the handle, open the door, wait for you to go through it, then shut the door behind you. All I could think to do was say: 'Thank you'

When I joined the Air Force I got assigned to a haunted dorm in basic training. The Drill sargeants said everyone thought thier dorms were haunted, but I pulled dormguard for the baby flights and I never heard a peep out of the other dorms. In our dorm, the girls would see shadows moving back and forth across thier bunks even after the lights were out. I would always hear papers shuffling in a room that *used to be* an office, but was now a meeting room and contained no paper. One night I was standing at the guard stand and heard footsteps walk across the hall and into the bathroom. The bathroom was only about five feet away and I could clearly see that there was no one there. Everyone was afraid to stand dorm guard at night from the 11 - 2 a.m. shift, but since the drill sargeants weren't allowed to bother us then, I always volunteered for it. At least the ghost didn't scream at me. :p

And the last one was something that happened to my high school art teacher, so it's second hand, but it's still pretty good. My art teacher took a European tour one year and went into Notre Dame. My art teacher's first name is Joan, so she goes to the statue of Joan of Arc. The statue has over a hundred votive candles burning around the base of it and while they're standing there, my teacher says: 'You know, if I was her, I wouldn't want all those candles at *my* feet.' ('Cause Joan of Arc burned at the stake, ho ho)

Well, they go to leave, but thier path is blocked off by a procession coming through the cathedral, so they have to go back by the statue of Joan of Arc. Even though they had only been gone for about a minute, every single candle at the statue's feet had been extinguished. The other statues in the area still had thier candles burning and the other gal that was with my teacher started looking around for the smartass who overheard them and put all the candles out. There was no one around and even if someone could put out a hundred candles in a minute, there was no way of knowing my teacher and her friend would have to come back by. My teacher was seriously spooked and was convinced that Joan of Arc was teasing her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

ok so far i've seen two posseions , have had thing's (Not saying ghost not sure what) follow me around . heard many people tell me of strange stuff happening in thier houses.doors locking windows opening . my old secondry school which is bout 200 years old is haunt as f**k ppl who don't even believe in thge supernatural(i use that term lightly) have claimed to hear footsteps doors that lock themselves and weird lights at night. it sound far fetched i know somethings i can't believe it and rarely tell any1 of these things. thats all i really wanna talk bout now..

ok so far i've seen two posseions , have had thing's (Not saying ghost not sure what) follow me around . heard many people tell me of strange stuff happening in thier houses.doors locking windows opening . my old secondry school which is bout 200 years old is haunt as f**k ppl who don't even believe in thge supernatural(i use that term lightly) have claimed to hear footsteps doors that lock themselves and weird lights at night. it sound far fetched i know somethings i can't believe it and rarely tell any1 of these things. thats all i really wanna talk bout now..

Nice mixed bag there. Would love to hear more or even just ur opinion on anything already posted. We need fresh interpretaions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

OK first off sorry for the long post, but I've had a few things happen to me and other people so I thought I'd add them in......I'm on my lunch break and I'm bored!:)

1st off my family moved to Glasgow from Cork when I was very young, my older brothers and sisters immediately started to explore their new area. My oldest sister would have been around 12 or 13 and herself, my brother and my other sister discovered a really old graveyard near our new house, they spent ages looking round the old stones and reading dates etc. My sister seen one that belonged to a little girl who was only 3, she was the only one in the grave and my sister said she always felt sorry for her, because she was so young, so she would go back on her own every few days and lay flowers and say a little prayer. She had been doing this for a year or so, when one day she said she was standing there when she got a very uncomfortable feeling so she left pretty sharpish, as she was walking away from the graveyard she heard a noise and turned round, she said just at the gates there was an absolutely adorable little girl with a long flowing dress waving at her, who then disappeared, my sister ran home terrified (remember she was only around 14 at this point), but said looking back she realised it was only the little girl saying hello as she had been visiting her grave for so long.
    My sister died when she was 26 and afterwards my Dad said he always smelled her perfume (Jean Paul Gaultier) beside his chair for ages afterwards. The strange thing as well was that when she lived with us, she got into quite a bit of trouble from the Police, there was a spot at the top of our stairs where you could lie on the floor and be hidden and still see what was going on downstairs, we always would lie here when the Police were in to see what had happened, when she died our cat would stare at this spot for ages, my Dad thinks this was Marj looking down at us from our spot so she could see what we were all up to as it was hidden from sight from anyone in the livingroom.
    I had a few experiences in a house I rented with some friends in Derry years later. One night my friend who had broken up with her fiance a month or so before was very upset (long story I won't go into) she went to bed and I told her to give me a shout if she needed to talk or anything, around an hour after I got into bed I heard the bedroom door opening, I saw someone come in wearing a blue nightdress, I was really tired so didn't bother opening my eyes but reached out to give her a hug (as I assumed it was my flatmate) she sat down on the bed and hugged me, but she was FREEZING cold, I opened my eyes and there was no one there, my shoulder was still freezing cold so I jumped out of bed and ran into her room to see her lying fast asleep in the bed, she wasn't sleeping for long I'll tell you, I jumped in the bed with her and wouldn't go back into my own room until morning. By the way she never owned a blue dress, never mind a blue nightdress. A few months later, I awoke again as there was a load of noise in the diningroom (directly below my room) it sounded like all the furniture was being dragged about, I went out to investigate and found my flatmate at the top of the stairs, she had heard this also and thought it was me, we listened for another minute or so and then the noise stopped, we both went down (terrified, I tell you) and nothing had been moved, everything was still in place, we moved out not long after.
    I've always felt strange presences when I've been somewhere spooky, but I don't know if this is just imagination. The last thing that happened was when my Granda died, who I was very close too. My Granda was 88 when he died and he was a very strong healthy man, he had never been in hospital overnight in his life. I always remember his hands, they were huge, he was a farmer and would have deep gashes all over that would have brought a lesser man to tears but his skin was like leather and he would shrug them off without even putting on a plaster. Anyway he started becoming very forgetful, he was the first person I told that I got engaged and the last time I seen him (about a year after this) he seen the engagement ring on my finger and had completely forgot that my fiance had proposed the year before, this was quite upsetting, but he joked away the way he used to and I went back to Dublin quite happy, a month or so later he was in hospital with suspected altztheimers which was then discovered to be a brain tumour, he got ill very fast and our family was called to say goodbye. I have a very large, very close family (32 grandchildren alone) and everyone bar some from New York and Spain came to the hospital as the doctors said he would pass soon, he kept living night after night, and more people would arrive, I couldn't face going and constantly made up stories about work etc until my Dad eventually rang and said it was OK for me not to go, that night after the phonecall, I had a very vivid dream about my Granda he was dressed in his one good suit and he came up and hugged me (he'd only ever hugged me once so this alone was very strange) I woke up screaming for my husband as this completely freaked me out and he had to stop me ringing my Mum as it was 4am and she would have been either at the hospital or trying to get some sleep as they'd all been awake for days. My Granda died a couple of days later and everyone I told about this said it was him saying goodbye and saying it was OK that I hadn't came to see him. I know some people may say it was only a dream but I really felt him there (hence the panic when I woke up) Sorry again for the long post. Love the thread by the way, I hope people keep adding to it.

I'm probably imagining things but will share my experience if it is truly one and I'm not being paranoid.

A few days ago I asked the spirits in the apartment (should they exist) to give me a sign. In the coming days I noticed marks on the wall which I feared might be some kind of apparition. I had also watched a lot of LivingTV in recent days, including Sensing Murder, Dead Famous, Colin Fry and Most Haunted. I was looking over my shoulder a lot and wondering am I being watched.

I found some holy water in the house that my mother had left in. I decided just in case to throw some of it at the marks I suspected of being apparitions. Much of the marks have now gone but not all. What is quite scary is that I actually saw the outline of one of them shrinking before my eyes. But there are still these 2 things that look a bit like eyes on the wall.

take a photo?

6th wrote:
    take a photo?

I'll take a photo of what it looks like now. However I should have taken some before I used the holy water because it won't be clear how it changed and how quickly. It was quite scary that the image shrunk so rapidly after I threw the water on it - it was very little water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

fabcat wrote:
    wearing a blue nightdress, I was really tired so didn't bother opening my eyes

How could you know she was wearing a blue night dress if you had your eyes closed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement