Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That weather was awful and tomorrow isnt looking great so got up at 5 and headed out with nothing in mind. 4 hours later and 108km on the clock I think it was a good day given the conditions. Definitely worthy of a beer later on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

78km in the pissing of warm rain and wind. Sure what else would you be doing :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RobFowl wrote: »
    78km in the pissing of warm rain and wind. Sure what else would you be doing :)

Sleeping

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

There are no words to describe the pain. So here's the world's shortest strava. With a lot of up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/682401965

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

75 kms this morning from Greystones into the City Centre and back through Stepaside. Threatened to pour rain basically all the way but never actually happened!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/683623644

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to killenagh;ballycanew Gorey, inch Arklow and back the coast road to Castletown, on around base of Tara hill to Ballymoney, courtown and back to Ballygarrett, killenagh, home.
    65 km Avg 26.5 kph. Rained heavy from Arklow back... but warm rain.:).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

70kms initially into the wind but home with cross/tail winds to a limited extent !
    Warmer than it looked to start with and kept up a nice average (28kph +) with the club.
    Coffee and tea brack at Naul was as usual peachy :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/683687832

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sean Kelly Tour 160km, went around with 2 ub mates and had a ball. Murky weather at times but overall not as bad as the forecast predicted.

160kms at 27.2km/h with in around 2,000m elevation, solid effort for my first SK160 and first cycle beyond 130km.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

140kms today out to Naas and home via Blessington.. turned out to be a decent day, but pretty mucky at the start. My bike was filthy getting home!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

first commuting puncture in 3 yrs, at the four courts, walked the rest of the way to work:(

3cm nail, head in the tread, pointy bit out through sidewall...
    should i trust the tyre ?? clearly see the hole in sidewall after removing nail as a greyish mark... its a 700x 38c trigger sports MTB tyre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Probably not. A nail through a tyre is generally end of the tyre...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Very windy around the canal and Sandyford yesterday and today on my commute. I've also been purposely taking it handy. Had a small smack with a car in Ranelagh on the way home yesterday, driver turned left over the cycle track as I was on her inside, my foot and pedal took the brunt, plus the outside of my arm. Not hurt thankfully and the only real damage was to the car where my foot dented it and I suspect the lady may need new underwear. She apologised profusely, I told her to forget the apology and to open her eyes in future. I wasn't nasty about it, but I didn't hide the fact I was annoyed
    glad you werent hurt, just back from hols hence the delay in responding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely evening out there. glasnevin, out to malahide, back via baldoyle and over howth head and home. 47km, 26km/h average.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Learned the benefits of always carrying a multitool today. Chain snapped on the way to work this morning, so I had to walk for 10 minutes in my cycling shoes. Thanks to a loan of a spanner from the garage next door, and the fact that I had my multitool, I didn't have to get the broom wagon home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Was up Sally Gap last Sunday and stopped to give another cyclist directions. I was attacked by thousands of mosquitoes or midgets and was covered in bites. Some of the bites got bigger,

fxb9yt.jpg[/quote]

And bigger

15xmhis.jpg

And bigger

28078ly.jpg

And bigger

9qh5dy.jpg

Before eventually bursting

5eidfl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Jeez

They look like something out of Alien !
    Glad I didn't see those earlier, as I headed up towards Sallygap this evening. A 1/2 a spin as it turned out. Went up kilakee and up to first view point and up past 2nd viewpoint. Got as far as where road drops before climb up past kippure ,light was fading fast so headed back the way I came.
    28 km Avg 20.6kph

First time up there in about 15 years on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Yuck! They look more like burns. Hope they heal soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Nice recovery spin this evening - 30km and it was a lovely evening to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Learned the benefits of always carrying a multitool today. Chain snapped on the way to work this morning, so I had to walk for 10 minutes in my cycling shoes. Thanks to a loan of a spanner from the garage next door, and the fact that I had my multitool, I didn't have to get the broom wagon home :)
    The benefits of carrying a spare quick-link are even better - you could have saved your cleats!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Was up Sally Gap last Sunday and stopped to give another cyclist directions. I was attacked by thousands of mosquitoes or midgets and was covered in bites. Some of the bites got bigger,
    Yeuch, hope you're OK. If you're feeling ill at all, do go to the doctor to get it checked out. One of the out-laws ended up in intensive care in Waterford for weeks with kidney failure after an insect bite of some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

The spoke of my front wheel broke about 25km from home. It had quite a buckle and I couldn't straighten it by hand but it went around with a bit of force. It was like a non stop hill climb all the way home, downhills were a bit of a worry.

Cycling is like running a car, its not long till another bit breaks and needs replacement.

Have they day off so did a decent 100km first thing this morning.

Got caught up in commuter traffic which I normal dont and I have to say the vast majority of commuters on bikes are a disgrace to other cyclists. Very few stopping for lights. Bunching at the front of lights to the extent and on idiot didnt leave enough space for the oncoming car swerved into me and I ended up touching wheels with the lad beside me.

The best was the lad on the old school trek. Meet him on the canal and we went all they way to Blackrock. He didnt stop for on light and nearly got knocked down twice.

No wonder cyclists have such a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

godtabh wrote: »
    Have they day off so did a decent 100km first thing this morning.

Got caught up in commuter traffic which I normal dont and I have to say the vast majority of commuters on bikes are a disgrace to other cyclists. Very few stopping for lights. Bunching at the front of lights to the extent and on idiot didnt leave enough space for the oncoming car swerved into me and I ended up touching wheels with the lad beside me.

The best was the lad on the old school trek. Meet him on the canal and we went all they way to Blackrock. He didnt stop for on light and nearly got knocked down twice.

No wonder cyclists have such a bad name.

I cycle the canal from Blackhorse to Ranelagh then on to Sandyford most mornings, it's frustrating to say the least. Everywhere else seems ok but the canal is just nuts

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had a spoke pop loudly on the way in this morning, and my rear mini-V brake also managed to crap itself. Wonderful. Not too sure what to do with the wheel now...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I had a spoke pop loudly on the way in this morning, and my rear mini-V brake also managed to crap itself. Wonderful. Not too sure what to do with the wheel now...

Local bike shop should be able sort you out, Dara in Beecycles used to be great for this but don't know if he's still going.

Lovely lunch time spin, out to Bohernabreena, Glassamucky, Miltary road and home via Cruagh. Beautiful day for it and I might try and sneak another hour in this evening. For those that can, do. Wild horses on Glassamucky, incredible to think we have all this 10 minutes from our city centre, have to love this country on days like today.

395200.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

My target today was Kippure from Ratoath. I did climb it last year with a complete face palm,at the time twas covered in cloud so couldn't see the top , I dismounted about 200m form the gates. So today I did it without stopping. Bloody tough considering I did Gunny Hill and Stocking Lane to get there. I stopped on the way at the Featherbeds to take a photo and was stunned by the complete silence, bliss. So I was looking forward to a snack at the mast. I wonder if its a coincidence that its elevation (according to my Garmin anyway) is 666m!

When I got there and my breathing eased I could hear clanking. There were two vans there so I assumed someone was inside and ate my snack without the silence. However I kept checking to see where the noise was coming from and I noticed two people half way up the mask. I hate heights so much I took one photo and promptly (I despise looking up like that) descended. That descent (again I don't know it very well) is bib browning stuff. I went on my merry way to Laragh and across to Wicklow Gap.

Some notes to self
    Drink more
    Dress for where you are going, not where you start off (too much gear).
    Naas is not just a skip and a jump home.
    Three mugs of tea doesn't fix dehydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Nice aimless spin today, went to Enniskerry via Vico Road, Liam Horner and Featherbeds. Got some PBs on Vico and Featherbeds so delighted with myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Strengthening intervals this morning in heart rate zone 5. Horrid! But it will be worth it come next season ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Reversed my regular Cruagh lunch time circuit and went up by the Blue Light for a change. Jaysus, I'd forgotten about that ramp and my eyes were popping by the top, though lovely spin for all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Strengthening intervals this morning in heart rate zone 5. Horrid! But it will be worth it come next season ;)

I do hope that, as well as looking at the heart monitor, you noticed it was one of the best days for cycling all year (in NCD anyway).

A great club spin from Swords to Oldbridge along some really beautiful back roads and lanes. A few of us opted for a bit of pain on the way back from Drogheda and took in Mullaghteelin, Snowtown and the Three Sisters. Can't think of a better way to spend a Thursday morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement