Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DualSense Controller Issues Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gerp99

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed earlier in the thread but my controller has stopped vibrating.

Any known fixes? I’ve checked the settings and everything is as it should be, vibration set to strong.

games aren’t the same without it. Looked online and seems to be a common issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭jj880

Few things maybe to try:

• try messing with the mute button for the mic. Ive read if you hold it down it turns off vibrate along with muting. Maybe holding it down again will turn vibrate back on.
    • try resetting with the button on the back that needs a pin / paper clip to access.
    • unpair and repair using cable.

I honestly think everyone should keep/have a ps4 controller as backup. These dualsense are a pain in the bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gerp99

Much appreciated. The reset button worked. Vibration is still very low but there’s enough to not make the games feel weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe they didn't have it and once you sent proof they replaced it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im about to go to currys with a controller. This will be the 5th replacement between the 2 controllers that I bought in July last year. This one is stick drift. Last time the guy inb currys said he has seen more of these controllers come back than anything else they have ever sold.

I have 2 ps4 controllers that had dogs abuse for around a decade and no problem ever apart from the rubber coming off the top of the stick on one of them.

• Advertisement

I read an article recently where a guy opened a brand new dualsense and compared it to a launch dualsense. The trigger springs are now thicker and the sticks have changed so hopefully the changes Sony are making will sort this crap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Are they strict with the 12 month warranty on the dual sense drift issue. Mine has started playing up and was bought late Feb last year. I have a case logged and am sending in the receipt, just wondering if I should be getting creative with the shipping date .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Lads am I being a bit of a cheeky fcuk if I try the EU/IRE sale of goods legislation for a controller gotten at launch (17 months ago) starting to drift?

Spoke to Gamestop already and they say there has to be independent evaluation which I get to be fair

No. I saw a youtube vid recently that said dual sense are lasting 420 hours on average before stick drift. Its pathetic. I think Sony are making a fortune from parents who will buy a new dual sense after 12 months just to keep their child happy instead of arguing with retailers / posting a controller and being without it for weeks. Its very low carry on and is really making me want to dump Sony for my next console.

I also have a drifting launch dual sense. Havent had a chance yet to get it replaced / repaired by the retailer. Please let me know how you get on with GameStop.

Response I got from Gamestop was the following:

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We do not currently have a repair service for PS5 consoles or accessories.

If a fault occurs six months after the purchase date as per your statutory rights, we require evidence that this was not caused by misuse. The onus on providing evidence that the fault has existed since the purchase date now lies with the customer. As the seller, we request that the consumer prove the fault did not arise as a result of misuse by obtaining a report from an authorised independent expert or other reputable means e.g. contacting the manufacturer and organising an assessment. We require this once the 12 months warranty has expired. More information on this legislation can be found in the following link:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/consumer_rights_in_eu.html

You will be unable to claim your statutory rights if you obtain a report from an unauthorised/third party repairs service as opening your device will void all warranties. You will need to have your device assessed directly with the manufacturer in this case if you wish to claim your statutory rights as your warranty with GameStop has since expired.

Not sure what the next steps here are. Maybe I'll go back and ask for authorised independent experts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just kindly inform them you’ll be taking it to small claims court. If they don’t back down, actually do it. It’s not that much hassle and they’ll more than likely rule in your favour, but the retailer will probably give in before it goes that far.

These big retailers get away with a lot of crap, nobody should feel bad about putting the foot down with them.

Absolutely no problem doing that, just want to make sure I'm on the right footing before I do. The link they gave me doesn't seem to correlate with the claim from the customer support agent but I wanna do a little more digging on my responsibilities here.

Ok so I've dug up this which seems to align with what the rep told me:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html

• Fault appears within the first 6 months
      • It is automatically assumed the fault was there from the date of purchase or delivery and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise. This means you do not have to prove anything
    • Fault appears after the first 6 months
      • The burden of proof switches to you. This means that it may be more difficult to get remedies as you could be asked to prove that the good was faulty from the day of purchase or delivery. Tip: If the product comes with a commercial guarantee and warranty, you may be able to make a claim using this additional protection.
    • Fault appears within 6 years
      • You have 6 years to take a claim to the small claims court if a retailer or supplier refuses to repair or replace a faulty product. This does not mean that a product has to last 6 years but if the goods do not last a reasonable length of time you may have a right to some remedy

I'm beyond the 12 month warranty from PlayStation as well so I basically will go back with the request for authorised independant experts and if that is in any way an inconvenience, I'll go straight to the small claims court. €73.49 I spent on the controller, should be good for at least 2 years in my mind

That's a legally problematic reply from Gamestop. Hold onto it, print it out.

"You will be unable to claim your statutory rights if you obtain a report from an unauthorised/thirdy party repairs service as opening your device will void all warranties".

False. Opening your device will void the voluntary manufacturer warranty - which is irrelevant as it has already expired. Opening the product for inspection will not void your statutory legal guarantee. There is nothing in any Irish or EU consumer legislation which says your statutory rights are void if a defective product is inspected by a "non-authorized" person, and it is scandalous of them to claim so.

By putting this falsehood into writing they have dug their own grave. They are trying to deny you your consumer rights via an act of deception. Take them to the small claims court, you will win. Most likely they won't even show up.

Don't engage in any expert report nonense, asking them who is authorised. Don't even go down that road. Anyone who is an "authorized repair service" will deny that it is defective because

a) they have a relationship with Sony

b) they have a vested interest in repairing controllers for a fee, rather than Sony being forced to do so

Took apart the controller in the end to fix my stick drift issue. Had done it with the PS4 controller before so was feeling reasonably confident. I think the stick drift is addressed but I definitely damaged the controller mic. Was looking at a tear-down online that was pretty good for the most part but instead of removing the ribbon from the lower mic internals, it suggested removing the connector from the board. Cannot for the love of god get it back the way it was. Just a heads up for folks, this guide would be much better if taking it apart -> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+DualSense+Controller+Button+Replacement/142096

The bits I had trouble with are here where the two blue circles are:

Will update after a few days if the sticks are fully working as I'd prefer a broken mic to stick drift anyway

any soldering? or did a clean up do it?

Ive seen some people just desolder a potentiometer (3 solder points) and replace that part only without removing the entire stick housing.

Just a cleanup using q-tips and spirits. Was swapping q-tips when I spotted a bit of dirt on the q-tip heads and to be fair, I went through about 7, using both ends so there was a bit dirt on it alright.

Soldering might be needed to fix the mic for my controller but that's a skill beyond me :D

Just a quick update, the wee lad is trying it out now. The problem is definitely after lessening, but still there a little bit. May have to try another clean, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Question is answered in detail in thread 🙄

Post edited by Mucashinto on

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I'm having trouble with drift on the left analogue stick. I should have gone for a replacement as soon as it started happening (6 months in I'd say) but I'm an idiot and now it's out of the 1 year quibble free period.

I took it apart just there and I'm thinking I'll try to replace the potentiometer but just looking at the PCB, is this particularly bad? No experience with these so not sure if this is just solder flux or something, but it's on the left stick and looks fairly rough.

Anyone know if something like this could be causing the drift? I don't want to go through the potentiometer fix if this is the real problem, already out of my comfort zone going this far tbh. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

How do you go about requesting a repair from Sony for a dodgy controller? Is there a phone number somewhere.

I'm being sent in circles on their website. Finally get to the hardware section, nunout the serial and model number and it then tells me it can't find my product so it gives me a button to click to contact them but when you press it it just returns me to the same starting point I began at!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Any help, their customer care is dreadful as is the website, I'm coming close to the 12 months so looking to get this repaired. Is there a phone number or a link somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have had 2 dual sense controllers since day one and somehow (touch wood) not had issues with any of them....

The PS4 controllers in the beginning I had to return nigh one once a year for the first while and they must have redesigned them eventually as the last replacements I had lasted the life of the machine's

I think can be pot luck with some of these things...

I've just jinxed them, haven't I? 😂

Has anyone successfully sent an item for repair using the playstation website, its pointless.

No but if you are inside 12 months you have a really good shot at getting a new controller replacement over the counter. Currys gave me a new controller in store no hassle. Just had to say it had drift.

Well after 45mins on hold I find out its one month to the day out of warranty.

They cannot offer a repair as they don't have a cost, only a free repair/replacement inside 12m.

Absolutely dreadful customer care. I complained that this very expensive item should last longer or even offer a chargeable repair, but it was pointless, I may as well of been taking to a robot.

Phoned smyths and they will only take it back within the first 30 days!! Wtf

Advertisement