Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimea - recent escalations

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So Biden has proposed to meet Putin for negotiations in a third Country. I wonder what country that will be. Will it stop the Russian militery buildup?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Turkey backing Ukraine it seems. Then again throughout history the Turks have often been wary of the Russians.

No bad army to have on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I speculate that retaliation for recent Russian cyber attack on the USA might be withheld in exchange for Russia turning its sights away from Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There now saying Russia is geared up for a full on invasion of Ukraine going by the the latest figures ,some 100,000 troops on or close to the Ukrainian border,along with 1300 tanks and thousands of heavy artillery ,
    russian military is now claiming it's in response to NATO actions that they are reacting to ,
    It's also believed Russia will annexe large parts of Ukraine under the guise of protecting russian citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭dogbert27

AMKC wrote: »
    So Biden has proposed to meet Putin for negotiations in a third Country. I wonder what country that will be. Will it stop the Russian militery buildup?

Could be Finland as they are not a member of NATO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Nothing will happen. Put your dicks away lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭dogbert27

BanditLuke wrote: »

People were saying that the last time that Russia took South Ossetia and Abkhazia and still occupy it. That's 20% of a Georgia's internationally recognised territory.

They took Crimea and nothing happened to Russia besides sanctions.

Russia will always push, especially on the former Soviet states. It's why the Baltic countries were pushing for NATO and EU membership to be protected.

Nothing will happen in the greater scheme of things but I do see Russia taking more Ukraine territory.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

dogbert27 wrote: »
    People were saying that the last time that Russia took South Ossetia and Abkhazia and still occupy it. That's 20% of a Georgia's internationally recognised territory.

Russia will always push, especially on the former Soviet states. It's why the Baltic countries were pushing for NATO and EU membership to be protected.

Nothing will happen in the greater scheme of things but I do see Russia taking more Ukraine territory.

Abkh. and SO are a bit different though I think, they already existed outside of Georgian control based off of their own independence struggles in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

BanditLuke wrote: »

I presume what you actually mean to say is, nothing that happens will affect your day to day?

dogbert27 wrote: »

Russia seems interested in Russian ethnic enclaves at most. The USSR gave up all its territory after all.

Europe faces a greater long term military threat from Turkey and no threat at all from China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

They might be dissembling. They might be probing and provoking. They might be getting ready to invade. Maybe they don't have a concrete plan and are just seeing where it goes.

Turkey backing Ukraine it seems. Then again throughout history the Turks have often been wary of the Russians.

The Turks can't fair any worse than they have for the last five centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think when this kicks off they will grab any land area that sits on the black sea right down to the border with Romania and have total control of the water from both sides weakening any other state that has access to the black sea

Advertisement