Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone else use bars of soap instead of shower gel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Gorteen wrote: »
    Where do you get the shampoo bars?

I buy them from a friend who makes them, sells in local markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

With a shower gel you can use it to wash your hair also. Can you do that with a bar of soap?? Having to use 2 separate during a shower would be a real pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭3d4life

I use unscented Tesco brand soap bars. They cost 50 cent each and last about 2 weeks, showering every day.

It's much more cost effective than shower gel and more environmentally friendly. Wrapped in a small wrapper like a chocolate bar instead of a big lump of plastic.

Is that the same soap that you can buy a pack of 4 for €1 in Aldi ?

Of course I use soap - what else would you use :confused:

Hard Cases should try Wrights Coal Tar Soap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

3d4life wrote: »

Of course I use soap - what else would you use :confused:
    Wire brush and dettol?

Is it still possible to get Pears soap? The shower gel just doesn't smell the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I tried to switch to a bar (shampoo and shower gel replacements) but the shampoo one didn’t suit my hair and I find the soap bars very drying on my skin. Must keep trying to find one that suits but the trial and error is a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Lush do them.

I've switched to bar soap for handwashing but still use gel (albeit an organic, vegan one in recycled packaging) in the shower. Got that in a goody bag at an event. When it's gone I probably change to a shower bar too.

L'Occitane have some really nice soaps and have a brilliant sustainability policy, if anyone is looking for recommendations. Handmade Soap Company are also great, and Irish.

Just to note, L'Occitane sell their products in China where it is mandatory to test all cosmetics on animals. I gave up buying their stuff years ago.

I use Lush products as much as possible now. Their soaps last much longer than shower gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭3d4life

Sardonicat wrote: »
    ...Is it still possible to get Pears soap? The shower gel just doesn't smell the same.

Yes, it is :) nothing like it :) used to be able to buy it in NI. Are there any shops in the Republic selling it ? ( beware that the Alo Vera version is an imposter :mad: )

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FGIwAAOSw4wRdSpOx%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Multipass wrote: »
    I’ve started on my goal of zero waste by switching to bars everywhere in the house. Shampoo bars too. Such an easy step, and a mountain of plastic containers saved. I’m upset that it took me this long to wake up.

I buy 5L containers and reuse small bottles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Wash first with soap then showergel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Male - shower gel
    Wash first with soap then showergel

I buy the 4 pack of palmolive bars & use them in the shower for the nice rubbing feeling & to actually get clean with & the sometimes linger there & top it iff with the fancy smelly gels I aM given in droves for christmas.

I used buy Dove soap occasionally but since the first lockdown it has changed totally & now has a bad aftersmell and suet-ey feel to it. I din’t like waste but actually threw the remaining ones out the other day.

I use Dove squirty handwash for the kitchen and bathroom - its quick and handy and ‘tastes’ totally different to the bars - and I don’t like sharing bars of soap communally!

BTW - since when are fancy handmade
    bars of soap e7-e12. And candles e25+ What is wrong with people paying these prices!?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Female - soap bars
    Why does Fight Club spring to mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I've been using Irish Spring Soap ever since it successfully brought Bobby Ewing back to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If you stick a bottle cap in the bottom of a bar of soap, it raises the bar off the sink/shelf so you reduce the amount of soap that just dissolves when it's left sitting in even a tiny bit of water.
    If you stick a bottle cap in the bottom of a bottle of shower gel, it just leaks everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Female - shower gel
    Use shower gel. Soap doesn't agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Just to note, L'Occitane sell their products in China where it is mandatory to test all cosmetics on animals. I gave up buying their stuff years ago.

I use Lush products as much as possible now. Their soaps last much longer than shower gel.

That’s very nice of the Chinese to wash the animals also. The Chinese are a great bunch of lads.

Female - soap bars
    I'm due my shower again in 5 days time, the month has flown by. I'm really looking forward to trying out some new soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sod of turf here, none of your fancy city soap for me!

Female - soap bars
    Soap.....dove for extra sensitive skin

If i used most shower gels, Id be red raw from the itch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Male - shower gel
    I have used soap for years but impossible to find a decent soap tray. I have a shiny metal looking one which has rusted. So far, I haven’t been able to find one with good drainage or that won’t shatter if it falls into the bath or onto the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

3d4life wrote: »
    Yes, it is :) nothing like it :) used to be able to buy it in NI. Are there any shop in the Republic selling it ? ( beware that the Alo Vera version is an imposter :mad: )

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FGIwAAOSw4wRdSpOx%2Fs-l300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

My local chemist sells it, Pure Pharmacy in Perrsytown. I bought a bar earlier this year and the smell was just so evocative - straight back to my paternal grandparents' house!

• Advertisement

Female - soap bars
    Imperial Leather soap bars for the win.

None of your nivea, l’oreal or similar messing about for this fella.

There’s an awful lot of soap being sold to men who want to smell like women. Can’t figure out when exactly it all went so bloody wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Male - shower gel
    JayZeus wrote: »
    Imperial Leather soap bars for the win.

None of your nivea, l’oreal or similar messing about for this fella.

There’s an awful lot of soap being sold to men who want to smell like women. Can’t figure out when exactly it all went so bloody wrong.

Its being marketed at their girlfriends who buy the stuff!!! Maybe to cover the eau de diesel and pong of feet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Female - soap bars
    I get The Bluebeards Revenge soap bars. They're bigger than the standard bar and the clear one in particular smells lovely! Lasts forever too.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Female - soap bars
    A bar of Carbolic soap goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Logo

Would like to replace shower gel with soap but I can't find a suitable container in which to store the soap- it's a pity that this is the deal-breaker for me - any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Female - soap bars
    Logo wrote: »
    Would like to replace shower gel with soap but I can't find a suitable container in which to store the soap- it's a pity that this is the deal-breaker for me - any ideas?

Make a hole in the soap and thread a bit of rope through it tie a knot and then guess what you've got :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

We use Swarfega ,none of this fancying around with your la di da gels and soaps.

Put a table spoon full of sand into it to make it really effective!

Your poll should have had a both option on your poll.

We use shower gel in the shower and dettol sensitive bars of soap for handwashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I used bar soaps happily for a few years to cut down on plastic waste until unfortunately the soap started to dry out my skin :( I guess my skin changed as I got older and it didn't like it so much. One shower with Aveeno dry skin shower gel and my skin felt much better. If I could get soap-free bars that weren't hugely expensive I would buy them. I much prefer bars tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Female - soap bars
    Another Aveeno user, its great stuff if only you can get it out of the bottle. Its so thick and viscus its I'm sure they could go a step further and make a solid bar out of it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement