Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else use bars of soap instead of shower gel?

Options
  • 14-11-2020 3:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

I use unscented Tesco brand soap bars. They cost 50 cent each and last about 2 weeks, showering every day.

It's much more cost effective than shower gel and more environmentally friendly. Wrapped in a small wrapper like a chocolate bar instead of a big lump of plastic.

What do you use? 288 votes

Male - soap bars
    20%
    GraysonSupercellGer Roemeepaccensi0nniallbEarthhorsemollsermobbyMyPeopleDrankTheSoupcuriositymagicbastarderBoardnasheajosipmrmRichard571shuyin1Arnold Layneportron ninerIrish_wolf 59 votes
    Female - soap bars
    31%
    byteGoodshapeSteMThe CushSarnGregor Samsakenmcjordataciaran76Gordon Gekkodjdunnybig darWicklowTigerstanley1game4it70SlasherAuldloonPlanet XKirbyartanevilla 91 votes
    Male - shower gel
    22%
    feylyaRiesen_MealmusiknonstopseablueStrummsmariaalicerazorbluntmurpho999RaoulMrs OBumblecallaway92Sgt HartmanRiddle101lisabiscuitchosen1thedeisemanZak FlapshappydayAsh.J.Williamsfryup 64 votes
    Female - shower gel
    25%
    the_sycocarbsyrunawaybishopjimmycrackcormZaphJupiterKiddavetheraveRossie11chubba1984Macker1antorShagNastiiRedXIVfatbhoydotsmantoddunctiousshockwavewiz569Dayo93SEPT 23 1989 74 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

Female - soap bars
    I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I use unscented Tesco brand soap bars. They cost 50 cent each and last about 2 weeks, showering every day.

It's much more cost effective than shower gel and more environmentally friendly. Wrapped in a small wrapper like a chocolate bar instead of a big lump of plastic.

My mum asked me recently to buy her a few bars of soap, I was surprised to find only 2 brands in bar form on the supermarket shelf, everything else was either shower gel or liquid hand soap, obviously bars have fallen out of fashion. I use one of those scrunchy things in the shower with a drop of shower gel to work up a good lather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Made the switch about a year ago.

Dettol is my soap of choice, although have had some D'Terre Hermes too.

Only very occasionally use a shower gel now. I like the L'Oreal for Men ones and sometimes buy the odd one when they are reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We use a bar of soap to wash hands at the sink but shower gel in the shower i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭corner of hells

We use Swarfega ,none of this fancying around with your la di da gels and soaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Female - soap bars
    I'm on my own on this one. I prefer a bar of soap and wouldn't mind trying shampoo in bar form too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Male - soap bars
    Yes soap for me, a bar lasts forever. I keep one in my gym bag too and usually get a couple of months out of one bar. You can get vegan ones and ones free of palm oil in Boots.
    The tough plastic used to make some of those shower gel containers will be seeping into the earth for centuries, getting in our food chain, and polluting our seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭emo72

Female - soap bars
    All those shower gel bottles going to end up dumped in the ocean or something. It's totally depressing. Who decided that gel was better than soap. I wouldn't mind using plastic bottles if the supermarkets would let you refill them. So yeah soap me up to save the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

If I drop the shower gel its already gone down the drain before my new cellmate bends down to grab it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I’ve started on my goal of zero waste by switching to bars everywhere in the house. Shampoo bars too. Such an easy step, and a mountain of plastic containers saved. I’m upset that it took me this long to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Female - shower gel
    Soap bars?

Nope, brillo pads and scouring powder does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Female - soap bars
    Multipass wrote: »
    I’ve started on my goal of zero waste by switching to bars everywhere in the house. Shampoo bars too. Such an easy step, and a mountain of plastic containers saved. I’m upset that it took me this long to wake up.

Where do you get the shampoo bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Pistachio19

Male - shower gel
    I switched to soap bars in the past year - currently using dove. Have bought some lovely handmade soaps as gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Female - soap bars
    Switched back to bars of soap about 18 months ago after I noticed how many bottles of shower gel myself and the young lad were getting through. I don't have enough hair to worry about using shampoo and conditioner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Gorteen wrote: »
    Where do you get the shampoo bars?

Lush do them.

I've switched to bar soap for handwashing but still use gel (albeit an organic, vegan one in recycled packaging) in the shower. Got that in a goody bag at an event. When it's gone I probably change to a shower bar too.

L'Occitane have some really nice soaps and have a brilliant sustainability policy, if anyone is looking for recommendations. Handmade Soap Company are also great, and Irish.

Female - soap bars
    Soap bars?

Nope, brillo pads and scouring powder does the job.

If you're near a farm you could pop down and get dipped along with the sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Female - shower gel
    I went through a phase of using soap for a good bit to mitigate the excess plastic.

It is one of those that is really noticed when you are going the bins.

Worked great but missed the Lime/Tea Time shower gel. Moved to using the larger bottles that last an age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You can get shower soap which leathers up a bit better, I switched to a sandlewood one about a year ago, but the trader I buy off is out of work due to restrictions, I feel cleaner and the scent lasts longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Female - soap bars
    Are there a lot of dirty women around here :confused::D

From the results so far 13 men voting to wash and only one women.

Although maybe thats the wrong conclusion :o

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Multipass wrote: »

Are you collecting the shower water for other purposes or does it just go down the drain and is wasted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Alan Partridge:

Well, they will withstand at best, one aggressive body scrub.

They start of the size of mini Frisbees and end up like actual-size Paracetamol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Female - soap bars
    Soap here. Don’t like the feel of shower gel on my skin, and the extra plastic bottles. I also don’t like scented stuff, so I use non-scented soap.

Plus “dropping the shower gel” doesn’t have the same sense of adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Female - soap bars
    Dove is my go to shower soap at the moment, I find that a lot of shower gels smell too chemically sometimes.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Female - shower gel
    We bought a few bars of carbolic soap at start of lockdown when we couldn't get hand sanitizer.

We still use it now but not in shower .... a good bottle of lynx africa shower gel for me .. or I use tea tree shampoo from aldi.... christ that stuff it potent, you really know your using it!!!!!

Its especially good when you have just done a 100k cycle and you have sore bits below and you wash yourself with the tea tree .... you know your still alive anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Male - shower gel
    I use bar soap but this came up in conversation at work and I was the only one out of about 10. It made be a bit paranoid. Is it not effective enough? My sister and I usually tell each othe what we want for Christmas and I say some nice bars of soap please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Silcocks Base, not sure which option to choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Been doing it here for years.
    We get the Pure soap bars in also. They're actually very good and no reaction on sensitive skin on one family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Dishwasher tablet and an upturned lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Female - soap bars
    Probably sounds contrary but I use both. I'm sensitive to something I've never worked out exactly what but Aveeno shower gel really helps. The problem is that its not much use on stinky arm pits so I keep a bar of soap handy to give them a really good scrub before I use the shower gel.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Female - soap bars
    Switched to Micheals wool fat shaving soap when I ditched the disposable plastic razors for old fashioned safety razor blades. (Huge plastic and aerosol can waste saving there)
    They also do a bath soap, which is so good I now buy it in bulk off amazon. Guests have commented how good it is when they use our bathroom.

Advertisement