Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People with stupid names

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

DJ Lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yeah that's true. Hers is based on Diane so there's no great leap, but it's even stranger when the names are unrelated. How did Richard become Dick? Why is Margaret also Peg? We had a postman named Bunny who was called Frank, officially.

There's a family in our village where none of them go by their official names. They have "Nazi", "Smiley", "Rocky", "Chub" and "Nance" — Nance is an agricultural contractor in his 40s. Nice guy, but...??

Not sure if this is a rural thing, or what.

I know a guy nicknamed "Hitler " years ago in the village he was from , he was a little bollix when younger.
    Nowadays hes settled down , married with his landscaping business, everyone knows him as Hitler the gardener.

You have a fantastic name!

Miltiades, short for Miltiadesiomon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

American newsreaders always have stupid names like, I dunno, Dick Blitzkrieger and Hank Fuckerieder.

"Hi, here is the news with Marvin Shitstorm"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Double-barrelled names sound cool if you're old school British aristocracy maybe with a DSO tacked on at the end, not so much if you're Emer O'Spud-Byrne.
    Notions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I know someone who in the last few years called her new bundle of joy......

Eamonn

Maybe the father is in the army

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Yeah that's true. Hers is based on Diane so there's no great leap, but it's even stranger when the names are unrelated. How did Richard become Dick? Why is Margaret also Peg? We had a postman named Bunny who was called Frank, officially.

In times when everything was handwritten, Richard became Rich or Rick, people also liked to rhyme back then, hence Rick became Dick
    Margaret became Meg, and in rhyme, Meg became Peg...
    There are records as far back as the 13th century with Dick and Hick used as nicknames for men names Richard...

Yeah, try having to spell it for a hotel booking, or whatever; not so keen!

Not crazy about Maggie but I think names like "Mary" and "Josephine" are making a comeback. 30 or 40 years from now, these will be unusual names. They also happen to be a nice choice IMO.

I like Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Double-barrelled names sound cool if you're old school British aristocracy maybe with a DSO tacked on at the end, not so much if you're Emer O'Spud-Byrne.
    Notions.

I think they're less Lewllyn-Bowen and more Alexander-Arnold nowadays. And we know how they come about

Hardly the stuff of aristocracy. Still I think Trent is the least befitting part...

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Thought this thread was going to be about people with unfortunate names like:

Wayne Kerr
    Helen Back
    Drew Peacock

Etc, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hughie in Scotland becomes Shuggie. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hughie in Scotland becomes Shuggie. :)
    Qughie in parts of Ulster.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think think the name Derek is stupid as hell. Like, why would you wait 9 months for your new bundle of joy to arrive, look at it and then say "his name is Derek". Why would you do that to a child? Derek FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My family knows me by my middle name. I never know why they'd decide to call me my middle name. Like, why not switch my first and middle names? It's apparently a very Irish thing but it's completely stupid IMO. Not only that, but this name is also my dad's name, which he hated being called himself to the point that he uses an 'abbreviation' completely unlike his actual name (like abbreviating Christopher to Kev).

Anyway, as soon as I went off to college, my first name came up on all forms and such so I used that as an opportunity to be known by a not-so-stupid name. Causes a little confusion when friends/family from back home meet anyone that knows me from college/work, but hey, at least my name is less stupid now.

A Tyrant Named Miltiades was bang on the money saying that parents in their 80s were trolling their children. In my case, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I used to live fairly close to a couple who called their twin sons Genesis & Revelation. Admittedly they were members of one of the more fundamentalist American churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I think think the name Derek is stupid as hell. Like, why would you wait 9 months for your new bundle of joy to arrive, look at it and then say "his name is Derek". Why would you do that to a child? Derek FFS

or the awkward moment when you look into the pram and say 'ah he's lovely, what's his name'..... and Eamonn is the reply

like just why :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

or the awkward moment when you look into the pram and say 'ah he's lovely, what's his name'..... and Eamonn is the reply

like just why :o

His grandfather was called Eamonn?

One of the boys in my daughter's creche is named Brian. Brian?? That child was born in 2017. Sounds like he already collects stamps, or has a recurring role on Coronation Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

One of the boys in my daughter's creche is named Brian. Brian?? That child was born in 2017. Sounds like he already collects stamps, or has a recurring role on Coronation Street.

First time I’ve ever heard Brian associated with stamp collecting. I’d say something if it was Norman, but Brian....

Either way, it’s a damn sight better than one of those god awful ‘modern’ names like Cody or Kayden.

Hamachi wrote: »
    First time I’ve ever heard Brian associated with stamp collecting. I’d say something if it was Norman, but Brian....

Either way, it’s a damn sight better than one of those god awful ‘modern’ names like Cody or Kayden.

Brian, Derek, and Terry etc just sound to me like a group of lads who were born in northern england in the 1970s and formed a Phil Collins/ Genesis tribute act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

'Eugene' - god love them, but I can't imagine that the phrase,"oh my god, you're making me soooo wet, Eugene", has sprang forth from the lips of too many young wans.

I used to live fairly close to a couple who called their twin sons Genesis & Revelation. Admittedly they were members of one of the more fundamentalist American churches.

Haha. You reminded me, along the same lines, me aul mate 'Charity Fish' from the Southern U.S. was a real hoot at parties

Brian, Derek, and Terry etc just sound to me like a group of lads who were born in northern england in the 1970s and formed a Phil Collins/ Genesis tribute act.

Yeah. Agree with you on Derek and Terry.

The etymology of Brian is Irish. I guess with Brian Boru being the high king of Ireland. I’m just surprised to see it associated with coronation street / northern England. I’ve always seen it as a pretty classic Irish male name.

Anyway, I’ll stop now before I suck all the fun out of the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

This is sort of OT, but I have noticed that African people often have really great, uplifting first names: 'Happy', 'Wonderful', 'Charity', etc.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This is sort of OT, but I have noticed that African people often have really great, uplifting first names: 'Happy', 'Wonderful', 'Charity', etc.

That’s not really an African thing. It’s pretty unique to Nigeria.

I once knew a Nigerian abroad called ‘Femidom’. Quite an unfortunate moniker!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah. Agree with you on Derek and Terry.

The etymology of Brian is Irish. I guess with Brian Boru being the high king of Ireland. I’m just surprised to see it associated with coronation street / northern England. I’ve always seen it as a pretty classic Irish male name.

Anyway, I’ll stop now before I suck all the fun out of the thread :)
    I've no problem with 'Brian' either, but back in the day, the snail being called Brian in The Magic Roundabout wouldn't have helped its cause.

Now, 'Bryan' is a different matter! ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,281 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That’s not really an African thing. It’s pretty unique to Nigeria.

I once knew a Nigerian abroad called ‘Femidom’. Quite an unfortunate moniker!

While it does seem to be most common in Nigeria, the presence in the Aston Villa squad of Marvelous Nakamba, who is from Zimbabwe, would suggest it's not an exclusively Nigerian thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The biggest complaint a friend of mine named Brian has is getting letters, name tags and place cards with “Brain” printed on them. Seems to happen an awful lot.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

..its not like they can help it. ...they didn't choose them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Zaph wrote: »
    While it does seem to be most common in Nigeria, the presence in the Aston Villa squad of Marvelous Nakamba, who is from Zimbabwe, would suggest it's not an exclusively Nigerian thing.

I don't think it is a nigerian thing but more of an "educated by missionaries" thing.

Advertisement