Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study reveals men with cats are a dating turnoff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I wouldn't date anyone with a pet because I like animals and wouldn't want to be with someone who contributes to an industry that uses and abuses them for profit.

Jaysus :eek:

You do realise that a lot of people with pets have actually taken them in as rescues and are trying to, you know, actually save animals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yeah because dogs are known for their love of rabbits and would never chase or kill one. Perish the thought.

Well there are plenty of dogs around too, my own JRT included and they couldn't care less about the rabbits. The cats look well fed to me but still feel the need to kill for the fun of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

my parents have a gorgeous Belgian Malinois they recently adopted from a rescue, she's lovely.

However, if there was a rabbit in the garden with her (or even another dog) she'd absolutely rip it apart. They found her attacking a hedgehog recently enough.

She's so crazy around other animals my folks are having incredible difficulty bringing her for walks and have her with a dog trainer at the moment. I didn't believe them until I went for a walk with them up the mountains last weekend and saw it first hand.

You'd never think it though when she's just around humans, the ears go back and she's a docile lump.

Again, it really depends so much animal to animal. One of my cats is a little kamikaze and will jump off anything to try to catch a fly. I'm sure she'd murder a mouse.

The other one couldn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Do many single men own cats?..

Seems like more a woman's pet..

Although it is 2020 I suppose..

I thought a man with cat = likely gay?

Or is that just a stereotype pre 2020?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I thought a man with cat = likely gay?

Or is that just a stereotype pre 2020?

I'm a single man with a cat. When my ex and I broke up, I kept one and she kept two.

I've never heard that stereotype before. Sounds pretty stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

o1s1n wrote: »
    What kind of hygiene reasons?

Do you mean that cats should be allowed to roam freely to crap and piss outside?

That's not very hygienic for everyone else, is it?

Exactly. Cat owners are unbelievable. Why have an animal if you don't care for its welfare.

They are disgusting ****ting all over the place. And yes lots of dog owners don't clean up after their dogs. Very few dogs are allowed to wander around killing things and ****ting everywhere.

If you are concerned about hygiene keep them in your house.

I'm a single man with a cat. When my ex and I broke up, I kept one and she kept two.

I've never heard that stereotype before. Sounds pretty stupid.

So it wasn't your cat you got stuck with one of hers?

Study cat or dog people perceptions:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270691821_Cat_Person_Dog_Person_Gay_or_Heterosexual_The_Effect_of_Labels_on_a_Man's_Perceived_Masculinity_Femininity_and_Likability

So it wasn't your cat you got stuck with one of hers?

We got them while we were together. I took a liking to the one I have so we got him.

And you could probably find a study called

"One strap, Two straps, Gay, or Heterosexual: The Effect of how one carries a school bag on a Man’s Perceived Masculinity, Femininity, and Likability"

And you could probably find a study called

"One strap, Two straps, Gay, or Heterosexual: The Effect of how one carries a school bag on a Man’s Perceived Masculinity, Femininity, and Likability"

Well according to another opinion, cats are an 'antidote to toxic masculinity'. So that is me educated!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-11/the-rise-of-cat-men-antidote-to-toxic-masculinity/8082618?nw=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Exactly. Cat owners are unbelievable. Why have an animal if you don't care for its welfare.

They are disgusting ****ting all over the place. And yes lots of dog owners don't clean up after their dogs. Very few dogs are allowed to wander around killing things and ****ting everywhere.

If you are concerned about hygiene keep them in your house.

I’ve had the misfortune of stepping in a lot of dog **** over the years. Can’t remember ever stepping in cat sh1t.

I'd probably do better on Tinder with a picture of my cat than a picture of myself.

srBctGc.jpg

If someone doesn't like that, they can feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd probably do better on Tinder with a picture of my cat than a picture of myself.

srBctGc.jpg

If someone doesn't like that, they can feck off.

Are you sure that's not a black owl?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

Most cats are lovely and some men are lovely so not a turn off, nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

“Women viewed men as less masculine when holding the cat; higher in neuroticism, agreeableness, and openness; and less dateable,” the researchers wrote of their findings.

And then the same people put off by those qualities complain that guys aren't open enough and play games.
    The contradictions and bull**** involved with online dating are souring my respect for humanity.

kowloon wrote: »
    And then the same people put off by those qualities complain that guys aren't open enough and play games.
    The contradictions and bull**** involved with online dating are souring my respect for humanity.

The study doesn't mean anything. The percentage differences in terms of datability are pretty low anyways.

Group 1:
    Dog Person - 47.6%
    Cat Person - 19.1%

Group 2:
    Dog Person - 44.9%
    Cat Person - 21.5%

"Participants falling into the “dog person” and “neither” categories were less likely to favor the picture with the cat"

The only worthwhile thing I'll take from the study is the fact that women are seemingly far more likely to be dog people. Or the research is biased and they advertised the anonymous online quiz on pet dog websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Let's see how many men are turned off by women with kids, far dirtier and noisier than any cat.

Jesus they used MTurk, which is an Amazon service full of people working doing these types of tasks for pennies. They might make a couple of dollars an hour.

Research nowadays is pretty whack. The same people doing a scientific questionnaire one minute for money could be trawling business pages gathering emails the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Jesus they used MTurk, which is an Amazon service full of people working doing these types of tasks for pennies. They might make a couple of dollars an hour.

Research nowadays is pretty whack. The same people doing a scientific questionnaire one minute for money could be trawling business pages gathering emails the next.

Isn't that just a cheating tool to get people to write good reviews for your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have two cats and they live outside with the dog, the cats are employed as vermin control workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

What kind of hygiene reasons?

Do you mean that cats should be allowed to roam freely to crap and piss outside?

That's not very hygienic for everyone else, is it?

:confused: The outside is a cats natural habitat. I mean they are predators, it's literally what they are designed to do, to roam free within reason and hunt.

And no, no I don't want a cat doing it's business inside my place, it's simply not hygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I’ve had the misfortune of stepping in a lot of dog **** over the years. Can’t remember ever stepping in cat sh1t.

That's partly because you don't get cats on a lead, being dragged along a path, mid-sh*t because someone doesn't like cleaning up after their animal.

:confused: The outside is a cats natural habitat. I mean they are predators, it's literally what they are designed to do, to roam free within reason and hunt.

And no, no I don't want a cat doing it's business inside my place, it's simply not hygienic.

How do you think a cat does its business if it's inside a house?

How do you think a cat does its business if it's inside a house?

How do you mean?

Right, I just can't get over this study. It's hilarious.

animals-10-01007-g001.png

I actually agree with the results now. Of course if you bring a cat to a photoshoot for your Tinder photo, you might be a bit too committed to them. I thought they'd be using natural photos.

How do you mean?

I mean have you ever seen a litter tray? Mine uses one and it's perfectly hygienic. Just clean it out every day.

I mean have you ever seen a litter tray? Mine uses one and it's perfectly hygienic. Just clean it out every day.

Not for me and the smell is horrendous.

If you have the space, let a cat out to do it's business. I think it's cruel for people in apartments to have cats cooped up 24/7 in any event but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Guess it’s the same as me seeing girls with just a dog as one of their pics on Tinder. Big turn off, why would I want to go out with some weirdo who thinks the world is in love with her dog as much as she is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

my parents have a gorgeous Belgian Malinois they recently adopted from a rescue, she's lovely.

However, if there was a rabbit in the garden with her (or even another dog) she'd absolutely rip it apart. They found her attacking a hedgehog recently enough.

She's so crazy around other animals my folks are having incredible difficulty bringing her for walks and have her with a dog trainer at the moment. I didn't believe them until I went for a walk with them up the mountains last weekend and saw it first hand.

You'd never think it though when she's just around humans, the ears go back and she's a docile lump.
    Belgian Malinois especially if they're from a working line can have very strong prey instincts, so it doesn't really surprise me to hear that O. Neither does it surprise me to hear she's good with people. You can have similar with other shepherd breeds. Huskies can be nightmares for this too. Belgian Malinois tend to be pretty high on the intensity and intelligence stakes too and get bored easily, which might be part of it? IMHO unless you get lucky you need a fair bit of experience to deal with certain dog breeds like that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Right, I just can't get over this study. It's hilarious.

animals-10-01007-g001.png

I actually agree with the results now. Of course if you bring a cat to a photoshoot for your Tinder photo, you might be a bit too committed to them. I thought they'd be using natural photos.

That's hilarious! They're so unnatural. I'm not sure it's the cat at all but the photos where they're sitting sideways they just look.. weirder. It's clear it's not their own cat either.. they look so awkward holding it. Honestly those second pictures look like deranged men holding cats hostage.

Advertisement