Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

fun-maps-2-4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

More maps.. Less crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

sligojoek wrote: »
    More maps.. Less crap
    How about both?

All 120,000 reported instances of human public defecation in San Francisco 2011-2019 mapped.

San_Fran_feces_map_c0-28-900-552_s885x516.jpg?d9f68fe0a5f919cc15450e1ebbf57c38cd611d03

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What a load of sh1t! :pac:

Completely erroneous to lump the north of Ireland in with the “UK” for the Coronavirus.

Statistically it makes far more sense to report incidences for the island of Ireland.

Last time I checked Switzerland wasn’t lumped in with Italy’s stats, despite them sharing a border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Google autocomplete results per country in Europe

fun-maps-2-16.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Eastern-Europe-Escape-Map-2.jpg

This is a WW2 escape map of Eastern Europe, printed on silk. I believe it was likely USAF. It's a composite image of both sides. I have enhanced the contrast a bit, the RL colours are a bit more muted. Click to enlarge - 5.8 MB.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Page from the book of Shannon Navigation Charts...

P11.jpg

Ireland's Undersea Communication Cables:

First cable between Valentia & Newfoundland in 1858
    Atlantic_cable_Map.jpg

Now:
    505093.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ireland Electrification Scheme - When was your area connected?
    I had a great uncle who lived and died as a bachelor farmer in a house with stone flag floors and no electricity. He was told when the electrification scheme was introduced that once everybody was connected, electricity would be free! Died in the mid 90s, in his mid 90s, still using parrafin lamps for light and making his tea on a range. Refused to connect to something he’d have to pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Ireland Electrification Scheme - When was your area connected?

Thanks for that, very interesting.

I was born into a house on a main N road within 50 miles of Dublin and those links show that the house and all the other houses in the area weren't connected to the grid until 1961. Literally within the lifetimes of many people who are still alive. And in those peoples lifetimes we have gone from houses lit by oil lamps to everyone having a device in their pocket which is both a powerful computer and a communications device that can communicate with almost everyone on the planet. Unbelievable change really in 60 years. I don't think that any future generation will see that amount of change in their lifetimes - unless some bright spark invents a time travel device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thanks for that, very interesting.

I was born into a house on a main N road within 50 miles of Dublin and those links show that the house and all the other houses in the area weren't connected to the grid until 1961. Literally within the lifetimes of many people who are still alive. And in those peoples lifetimes we have gone from houses lit by oil lamps to everyone having a device in their pocket which is both a powerful computer and a communications device that can communicate with almost everyone on the planet. Unbelievable change really in 60 years. I don't think that any future generation will see that amount of change in their lifetimes - unless some bright spark invents a time travel device.

In a similar vein, I often think about how controlled flight progressed. It took just 40 years from the first flight across the Atlantic to men walking on the moon. You could argue that since then, aviation has comparably stood still in terms of achievement while focusing on comfort, speed and safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

And in those peoples lifetimes we have gone from houses lit by oil lamps to everyone having a device in their pocket which is both a powerful computer and a communications device that can communicate with almost everyone on the planet. Unbelievable change really in 60 years. I don't think that any future generation will see that amount of change in their lifetimes - unless some bright spark invents a time travel device.
    Quite a lot of people at the end of the 19th century believed that every modern convenience that could ever be invented had being invented at that stage. But even just look at was invented in that period from 1900 up to circa 1960. Sometimes your imagination really is the limit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ocearch collects data on marine species such as sharks, dolphins and turtles and has an interactive map of that data here. The area with the most data is the Atlantic side of North America - there isn't a huge amount of data in Europe for example - but it is cool being able to track the movement of individual tagged sharks.

For example, this map is from a mako shark called Pico:

ERklTrPVUAAAECg?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Wow, Pico trekked across Florida, fair play thats some shark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i found this fascinating...and sad too as i like trains / railways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Gaspode wrote: »

Long jump :D

Map explains the... shark alert at Corpus Christi, Texas :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Definitely a civil rights issue Robert, disgraceful.

That virus wants political status.... right nie.
    It being a BBC map it divides the UK up between England/Wales/Scotland/Northern Ireland but then doesn't breakdown the cases - it applies the UK total number which is sloppy.

Either don't show subdivisions and report the total or show subdivisions and break up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1237306848606371840?s=19
    Time lapse from RTE showing the spread of Corona so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In a similar vein, I often think about how controlled flight progressed. It took just 40 years from the first flight across the Atlantic to men walking on the moon. You could argue that since then, aviation has comparably stood still in terms of achievement while focusing on comfort, speed and safety.

A tour guide I met at the Udvar Hazey centre (Smithsonian) at Dulles last Dec told us about the time when he was 5 and allowed on the flightdeck on the airliner he was on, the pilot signed has pass card. That pilot was one of the Wright brothers.... I forget which one he said but crazy to think of the connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gaspode wrote: »

My doubts about Sharknado being a true story have now been confirmed :pac:

EPA Maps - in this one we can see Natural Heritage Areas (purple), Special Areas of Conservation (darker green) and Special Protection Areas (lighter green) - loads more options available.
    505181.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

EPA Maps - in this one we can see Natural Heritage Areas (purple), Special Areas of Conservation (darker green) and Special Protection Areas (lighter green) - loads more options available.

And more updates and options coming to it soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Pre ESB, our town of Boyle was connected to lighting via a local mill, which generated power using turbines driven by the river beside it. According to the link, this was about 1901, which would mean Boyle was one of the first in Ireland i'd imagine, with electrically powered lighting

https://www.stewarts.ie/about-us/

Seems we came on ESB grid about 1966

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1R6t46z_YjERI_4pn-fFzVhWuCsU&hl=en&ll=53.798898616522216%2C-8.137703267863344&z=11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Last time I checked Switzerland wasn’t lumped in with Italy’s stats, despite them sharing a border.

Switzerland isn't an island

Quite a lot of people at the end of the 19th century believed that every modern convenience that could ever be invented had being invented at that stage. But even just look at was invented in that period from 1900 up to circa 1960. Sometimes your imagination really is the limit.

Humans struggle with putting time in perspective.

Tim Urban though, made this to help us. It's class. Hard to believe it's over 6 years old at this stage!

https://waitbutwhy.com/2013/08/putting-time-in-perspective.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Aeroplanes don't really have anywhere new to explore. Modern commercial jets have gotten much more fuel efficient even as they have gotten faster. I do think it's a pity that commercial supersonic flight seems to be dead.

As for rocketry, the developments at spacex are pretty exciting, but we kind of need a proper commercially viable destination to drive the next really big change. Chemical rockets are a bit of a dead end anyway. You spend all your energy lugging around fuel.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Aeroplanes don't really have anywhere new to explore. Modern commercial jets have gotten much more fuel efficient even as they have gotten faster. I do think it's a pity that commercial supersonic flight seems to be dead.

As for rocketry, the developments at spacex are pretty exciting, but we kind of need a proper commercially viable destination to drive the next really big change. Chemical rockets are a bit of a dead end anyway. You spend all your energy lugging around fuel.

I'd say if you asked someone in 1970, where would aviation be by 2020, they would probably have suggested that they'd be much more widely used for personal transportation (similar to cars) than has turned out to be the case.

This site provides visualisation of popular surnames during censuses in Ireland from over 100 years ago.
    I found it very interesting in relation to my surname.

https://barrygriffin.com/surname-maps/surnames.php?surname=O%27Connell

Haven't seen it referred to elsewhere on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'd say if you asked someone in 1970, where would aviation be by 2020, they would probably have suggested that they'd be much more widely used for personal transportation (similar to cars) than has turned out to be the case.
    That'd have been all the lead in the air talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Map showing all the river catchments in Ireland.

The Shannon catchment is in red (roughly in the Centre), that of the rivers Barrow, Nore and Suir are in pink, the Erne is in yellow and the Liffey and Boyle are in slightly different shades of pale green.

11417_03613716_e906feab-0d80-418b-80c3-295600a13e62.jpeg

I'd love that as a wall poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

This site provides visualisation of popular surnames during censuses in Ireland from over 100 years ago.
    I found it very interesting in relation to my surname.

https://barrygriffin.com/surname-maps/surnames.php?surname=O%27Connell

Haven't seen it referred to elsewhere on this thread.

Nice. I like how certain surnames dominate in certain areas, a holdover from the Gaelic chieftan era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

A tour guide I met at the Udvar Hazey centre (Smithsonian) at Dulles last Dec told us about the time when he was 5 and allowed on the flightdeck on the airliner he was on, the pilot signed has pass card. That pilot was one of the Wright brothers.... I forget which one he said but crazy to think of the connection

Wilbur died in 1912 and Orville died in 1948 at the age of 76. Your guide may have been thinking of someone else - there are a lot of other really famous aircraft in the Udvar Hazey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikhail wrote: »
    Aeroplanes don't really have anywhere new to explore. Modern commercial jets have gotten much more fuel efficient even as they have gotten faster.
    The fastest commercial planes were those developed up to the 1973 Oil Crisis. After that, airlines when for slightly slower, but substantially more fuel efficient aircraft. They also started putting a lot more seats in the same-sized aircraft.
    I do think it's a pity that commercial supersonic flight seems to be dead.
    €+++ and CO2+++

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd love that as a wall poster

They're available. Link was posted earlier in thread.

They're available. Link was posted earlier in thread.

Wasn’t it only a link to buy a digital copy to try print yourself? I’d love one myself.

Wasn’t it only a link to buy a digital copy to try print yourself? I’d love one myself.

Correct.

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/639734499/river-basins-of-the-island-of-ireland-in?ga_search_query=ireland&ref=shop_items_search_2&crt=1

But, no shortage of companies to print posters for you for very reasonable money. If you go to a walk in picture framing place, they might do the whole thing of printing and framing if you want to frame it.

• Advertisement

Must have a look for somewhere before I’d buy it. I never heard of the service before but we only have an A4 laser jobby in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Correct.

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/639734499/river-basins-of-the-island-of-ireland-in?ga_search_query=ireland&ref=shop_items_search_2&crt=1

But, no shortage of companies to print posters for you for very reasonable money. If you go to a walk in picture framing place, they might do the whole thing of printing and framing if you want to frame it.

Lovely. I'll get that. Thanks

Amazed that there is a version that excludes Northern Ireland.. who'd buy that?

I think it's up there from a foreigner who doesn't "get Ireland".

Similar to how Reebok (in)famously tried to sell this:

ODIzMDVkNDNhMjFiNWZmZDE5YjU5NTQ5YjNhZTMxOGFyoYeCj5bzbNnkTmaAybCCaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vODg3MTBlNTlkZWE2ZDNhYmI3YWFjODNkNDViNDQ1OGFkNjM3NzI4YzNhY2YxYTA3MjdlNGZjMTg5MjAyOWE5ZS5qcGd8fHx8fHwyNDB4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/21/reebok-blames-design-error-for-regrettable-ufc-ireland-shirt

Thanks for the heads up :pac:

StreamAIR - an interactive map from NUIG that is a pollution forecasting tool.
    "Some Atmospheric pollutants have long atmospheric lifetimes so we may experience pollution advected into Ireland from afar. NOx, O3 & PM2.5 levels are combined and represented in Air Quality Status: Good, Fair or Poor. Poor Air Quality can be a major health hazard."
    http://streamair.nuigalway.ie/
    505259.JPG

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Earthquakes from inside the earth - this one is an animation, so I'm linking to the tweet rather than posting a stationary screenshot

https://twitter.com/MapScaping/status/1237601610378833922?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Is that Ireland there? Map is difficult to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Yep, Gaelic Football being the sport. Next to Ireland is Wales with Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Yes and it's wrong depending on how you define most popular. "Soccer" is the most participated sport in Ireland.

Advertisement