Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a settled person become a "traveller" ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Traveller devotion to Catholicism is remarkable and a little scary.

And more than a little odd considering the commandments and how they play fast and loose with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A rising tide raises all boats though. Where travelers are concerned more integration and emphasis on adopting values of settled people will mean a better society for everyone, less taxes to pay to support them in the future for one thing, hopefully less criminality. I think a move towards third level education and more critical thought could be an essential part of the answer to a lot of the problems posed by the travelling community.

Maybe the OP might get some sort of education too.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I heard dancing with a tinkers dawthar get you to the top of the queue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Has anyone asked what John Connors thinks of all this? It's probably on Twitter already.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I heard dancing with a tinkers dawthar get you to the top of the queue

I'll dance with ye red head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A rising tide raises all boats though. Where travelers are concerned more integration and emphasis on adopting values of settled people will mean a better society for everyone, less taxes to pay to support them in the future for one thing, hopefully less criminality. I think a move towards third level education and more critical thought could be an essential part of the answer to a lot of the problems posed by the travelling community.

Best of luck dealing with a closed and backward subculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

OP can you come tarmac my front drive for me?
    Do half the job then leave, rob my neighbors trailer while you're at it sure.

Only then will you be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

OP - you need to learn the lingo.

I'm not sure what kebab balls are, probably means a scoundrel of some sort:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO-Adcb8yRQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Has anyone asked what John Connors thinks of all this? It's probably on Twitter already.

I'm amazed this thread is still open boss ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just a few more pointers to add to what folks have said here:

1) - If anyone asks about the rubbish you tipped in your yard, its because Settled people keep throwing their rubbish in there. All the rubbish on every halting site in the country is thrown there by Settled people!

2) - Get a mobile (dunno if can get contract free "burner" phones here) for which you have one number and thats for Pavee Point! Have on speed-dial and when anything inconveniences you, and I mean anything: a leaf blew into your face, a bird is chirping nearby, the sun is rising too early/too late/both, colours arent the correct hue in your view (red colours should be called green or blue), people are starting to lock their possessions away behind doors and alarms....slap speed-dial and they will have a statement out in no time about how your rights have been impacted by the hateful actions of the Settled community!

3) - Get yourself a sulky, and proceed to obey the "real" rules of the road......they are whatever you want them to be at any time. Clopping down the wrong way on a motorway is a Traveller tradition dating back hundreds of years, any disagreements brought to you by other motorists should be dealt with by option #2) above.

4) - Lastly, if you do engage in a disagreement with a member of the Settled community over your actions, you are perfectly within your right to shiv them at any moment. This has been classed as "self-defense against personal responsibility" and will grant you an apology from the state and a bigger house, which never came with appliances/carpets/curtains/wiring/pipes/doorways/windows...remember! *taps nose, nudge-nudge, wink-wink*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Question 1 on the how to become part of our ethnic group test
    1 what key can open anything?

Ans= A pikey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

no. it's a culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

megaten wrote: »
    Try it out and tell us how you get on Boss

Correct that for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Best of luck dealing with a closed and backward subculture.

We have many of these on boards too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We have many of these on boards too

Do they settle family disputes with slash hooks too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Why the hell do they need to be 3rd level educated to stop the fueding? Or marrying their cousins? Most humans would have realised that this stuff is pretty bad before leaving primary school!

So when one of their family gets a Sociology degree or such will they go:
    Oh wait, having a multi-generation feud with a rival family over several decades, that leads to mass hospitalizations or deaths, all over some over-perceived slight we probably dont even recall anymore...is bad and reflects us negatively! Wow, who would have thought?

Ditto for Biology and inter-family marrying/ Veterinary Science and beating/overworking horses/ whatever not dumping rubbish all over your home falls under!

Vast majority of their negative actions are self perpetuated: its not enforced by the government (and most are illegal) nor are they direct responses to Settled actions, they are just practices they are too ignorant to try put a stop to, and any negative responses to these actions are hand-waved away with "Oh your only hating on me cause Im a Traveler!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

judeboy101 wrote: »

Some kids in my school are registered as travellers, they ain't travellers but we know they are doing it to access HEAR for leaving cert points . For those in the know they are using the 1,2,4 route as 5,6 doesn't apply to our school.

Seriously?
    Is it the school that sets this up or have parents decided to go this route themselves? This is mad. I imagine it could prove quite popular! I can see this scheme is probably necessary for travellers but how are other people getting it?

This would mean they'd receive college offers for reduced points than the rest of the leaving cert population and would be entitled to extra supports in college from one to one tuition where needed to increased access to bursaries and grants.
    Parents, not school. They have their head screwed on though. They figure as school is not Deus school and not in dodgy area, only way to access HEAR is traveller or fugee. All they need is one person working and a medical card and kid gets 20% off any CAO course in country, more than 20% in some courses. Most parents can't hit the criteria due to income threshold or location.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Why the hell do they need to be 3rd level educated to stop the fueding? Or marrying their cousins? Most humans would have realised that this stuff is pretty bad before leaving primary school!

So when one of their family gets a Sociology degree or such will they go:

Ditto for Biology and inter-family marrying/ Veterinary Science and beating/overworking horses/ whatever not dumping rubbish all over your home falls under!

Vast majority of their negative actions are self perpetuated: its not enforced by the government (and most are illegal) nor are they direct responses to Settled actions, they are just practices they are too ignorant to try put a stop to, and any negative responses to these actions are hand-waved away with "Oh your only hating on me cause Im a Traveler!"

They are a community that could use a much broader frame of reference without a doubt, but that's what education does. Even if you can just think critically, and in lots of cases that skill alone has to be learned and is the most valuable part of an education, then it will make much less sense to you to perpetuate the old traditions of past generations or to accept that your life must be shaped by a culture that gifts you social isolation,a smaller pool of partners, no hope of advancement in your country, not to mention increased mortality. Believe it or not that's what greater access to education has done in every society and civilisation around the world.

I really don't believe in handouts to facilitate their culture staying mired in the present stagnation. Giving people a leg up on this one though will hopefully be a road to change with huge benefit for them and all the rest of us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

You better learn to speak like a traveller first. Real fast talker with a strong accent.

Do travellers have any online resources you could refer to so you can learn their lifestyle more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Do travellers have any online resources you could refer to so you can learn their lifestyle more?

The ItinerantNet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are a few tutorials on YouTube e.g....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why hasn't it worked in the States then ? Look at FBI crime rates.

The most disadvantaged students in America are white trailer trash.

They've no hope , nobody is going to give them a leg up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Asian Americans also lose out big time under AA.

Held to an even higher standard.,

Victims to the Bigotry of low expectations.

Racism in its purest form.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I would like to become a "traveller" so that I can become tax exempt and not be subject to the normal rules of society.

If I turned up to social welfare and said that I now consider myself to be a "traveller" would they set me up as one ?

No, you may not!

normal_welfare.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

It is a joke though when over 90% of travellers get away without ever doing a stroke giving them loads of time to plot crime .. their numbers are growing as they outbreed the PAYE community hand over fist with many towns and villages at breaking point i.e. Bunclody, abbeyfeale , Ennis , Longford , Tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

My neighbor who obv was settled (had tough upbringing etc) ended up dating a traveler

She moved out a few years back and now lives in a caravan in a local halting site and has 5 children with this man

He is a sound guy actually (well on my few interactions) but she went from settled to living their lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

To the OP you become super religious and socially conservative and tell all about your faith

Also forget what you learned in school about 10 commandments. There are only 8, drop these two

Thou shall not steal
    Thou shall not covet thy neighbours goods

Don’t forget you be a good Catholic even while stealing lead from the church!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Get yourself a bib, stand outside Lidl asking people have they money for the homeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

mikemac2 wrote: »
    To the OP you become super religious and socially conservative and tell all about your faith

Also forget what you learned in school about 10 commandments. There are only 8, drop these two

Thou shall not steal
    Thou shall not covet thy neighbours goods

Don’t forget you be a good Catholic even while stealing lead from the church!

You see they have a get out of jail card for the above and that’s confession my local church after mass they queue up for their punishment of a decade of the rosary and they are clear to do what they want for another week.
    No one prosecutes them for the cruelty they inflict on animals an example being what’s been happening over the last couple of months in south Tipp living them starve to death and only last week pony collapsed and they started kicking it and then started throwing stones at a polish lady who tried to stop them and started filming what they were doing.

Advertisement