Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The perfect kitchen for dieters, your goal is to get thin enough to turn on the heating. :D

My arse wouldn't fit in that corner.
    No heating for me so!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

My arse wouldn't fit in that corner.
    No heating for me so!

I'd end up wedged in the corner for weeks! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Whoever took the photos on that one should be shot. 4 photos of random street scenes, 3 copies of the floorplan, but so many rooms and the bloody roof terrace are not pictured!

Granted, it seems the roof terrace overlooks the n-shaped building that appears to have been placed in the back garden of several of the houses in that row.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/53%C2%B019'28.2%22N+6%C2%B015'34.8%22W/@53.3244351,-6.2597632,29m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.324498!4d-6.259666

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd build into the space between the utility and kitch-wedge and adapt the roof terrace as the "garden"

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fritzbox wrote: »
    You think that's strange - how about the a fireplace located in the the corner of a room - don't think I've ever seen that in my life, it's hardly common is it?

https://photos.cdn.dsch.ie/ZDhiZmY1N2Y4OGQ5YjFkOWQ4MjViMTczYzUxNGJmYTdbNDDqA2kwL68NH1ZffgYIaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2EvMi9hMjk2NDYzNDViODg4ZDM1ZGQ3MTg1YmMxNmQzZTg0NC5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

Was probably 1 big room originally that was later divided in 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Grammadeck

Fritzbox wrote: »
    You think that's strange - how about the a fireplace located in the the corner of a room - don't think I've ever seen that in my life, it's hardly common is it?

That's probably a new wall there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I just remembered what it reminded me of

702184.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

that house for nearly half a million sums up Dublin. Anyone who buys that is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Two bedroom, and it is in D4, Dahling.
    it is ringsend not ballsbridge.

I'd be in with you guys on this if it wasnt that its in a fantastic location for anyone working in Tech Town or IFSC ( its even handy for the new Facebook place ).

Half a mill would be no problem for some of those lads.

Also, wouldnt be surprised if a few nearby MNCs give it the once over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/site-old-lighthouse-inis-m-r-aran-islands-co-galway/2915603

Needs a bit of work but could be an amazing place to get away from it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭wassie

....or when the zombie apocalypse finally arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

griffin100 wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/site-old-lighthouse-inis-m-r-aran-islands-co-galway/2915603

It would be nice alright. Not sure about 550k though. Roancarrigmore sold for about 150 a while back and that was in much better condition. The lad who owns it now apparently never goes there so it's just sitting there rotting.

There were a few cottages on Rathlin O Birne sold a while back as well and those weren't too dear.

Inis mor does have the big advantage of decent nearby pubs and you don't need to trouble yourself with hauling your cavity blocks ashore on your own boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

griffin100 wrote: »

Oh my god! I would love that. Think I need to win the lottery first though.

wassie wrote: »
    ....or when the zombie apocalypse finally arrives.

The map view in the ad says it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Aglomerado wrote: »

You'd need to win the equivalent of two lotteries . One to actually afford the place and get the money to do it up properly and the other to get permission from the council to restore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

retalivity wrote: »

I know Rugby Road very well. I almost bought my first house there in 2003 but took a job in the UK at the time. It wasn’t this house btw, but similar size (not layout). They are small, fine for a couple but I wouldn’t want to be trying to raise a family there.
    From memory - though I am open to correction on this - houses on this road hovered around the €1m mark at the peak. :eek: From the Property Register they were as high as €700,000, but nothing listed on that pre-2010 so entirely plausible they were going for €1m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Aglomerado wrote: »

Being honest, with a heap of money you could turn it into a very nice place but I reckon I'd get bored living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Being honest, with a heap of money you could turn it into a very nice place but I reckon I'd get bored living there.

I can't imagine anyone who could afford the price of that place giving it a second glance as somewhere to make a holiday home or a place to retire to.

It looks like a run down concentration camp.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

An inland lighthouse would seem weird.
    Need the waves crashing around me like on Demon's Rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I can't imagine anyone who could afford the price of that place giving it a second glance as somewhere to make a holiday home or a place to retire to.

It looks like a run down concentration camp.

I'd say it'd only make sense to turn it into a hostel or hotel or some kind of tourist amenity.

Also, as far as I know, you have to be an Island native to get PP on any of the Aran Islands (according to Galway CoCo's planning rules). I know that on Inishmaan it's nearly impossible for an outsider to even buy existing property (the islanders just won't sell it), let alone build anything. I think Inis Mór and Inisheer it's a bit more relaxed about buying, but you're still won't get to develop.

I'd say it'd only make sense to turn it into a hostel or hotel or some kind of tourist amenity.

Also, as far as I know, you have to be an Island native to get PP on any of the Aran Islands (according to Galway CoCo's planning rules). I know that on Inishmaan it's nearly impossible for an outsider to even buy existing property (the islanders just won't sell it), let alone build anything. I think Inis Mór and Inisheer it's a bit more relaxed about buying, but you're still won't get to develop.

Inis Mór is one of my favourite spots to chill out for a few days, we were running late for our flight one time and I rang the airport to book the next one instead. The lady asked how far away we were and when I told her we'd be at least 15 minutes late she said "ah shur we'll wait for ye".

Eating fresh battered fish in the hotel another evening and I commented to the waitress that it was beautiful, thanks very much she said "myself and the boyfriend caught them this morning from his small boat over there" and she pointed out the window to the spot where they had been fishing.

I've seen that lighthouse up close a few times, I suppose if tourism ever makes a comeback and it was renovated and marketed it might turn a buck for the owner as a place to take pictures from but it's a money pit in reality.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Would love that lighthouse! Could be a really spectacular place.
    Bought a Euromillions Ticket today, 200 Million should be enough to buy and restore it ;)

I suppose if tourism ever makes a comeback and it was renovated and marketed it might turn a buck for the owner as a place to take pictures from but it's a money pit in reality.

€550k to buy.
    €2m+ to do it up.

You'd never make any money on it. The volume of tourists would never be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,820 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've the Euromillions done to.
    If I win I'll buy it and providing it's not going to take up all of my winnings.
    I'll buy it do it up and invite a few of my favorite Boardsies over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

€550k to buy.
    €2m+ to do it up.

You'd never make any money on it. The volume of tourists would never be there.

You could do it up a lot cheaper than that. 2 mil maybe if you outsource everything and sit there on a three-legged stool watching them use the costliest materials available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I know that lighthouse and the nearby ringfort well from my escapades as a child there. I spent most of my summers from the age of 1 to 18 on Inis Mór as we have a house there. It's gorgeous in the summer you have the weather, it's the darkest, coldest, wettest, windiest place you could ever imagine for the other 9 months of the year. All the Atlantic wind and rain hit it first. Put it this way, Galway is like Dubai compared to it - and I lived in Galway too.

Someone mentioned PP, and unless things have changed recently that is true.

While I loved it at times, at other times it was deathly boring. I haven't been in years but maybe boredom could be relieved now if there's a good internet connection on the island, but I'd be surprised if there is such a thing.

It's always going to be a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there kinda place for me.

I take it the light house is off for now!

Nothing special now but it's just so dark and dreary inside.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-magees-mountnugent-co-cavan/1352401

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Someone thought it would be a good idea to take the photos with a flash facing straight forwards, and the lights in the house off. You can see the shadow of the camera lens in a few of the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

It's cavan, they probably didn't want to pay to switch the lights on

I can think of a lot more foolish ways to spend 250k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

ESB is disconnected as the fridge freezer doors are open and no lights on anywhere.
    Probably empty for some time.

I can think of a lot more foolish ways to spend 250k.

Check the location. Back end of nowhere springs to mind.

€250k for the entire Cavan village? Tempted, but I'll pass.

There's a dreamer section in the motor forum. This is a candidate for house sales version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Mountnugent ain't much brighter and less dreary on the outside either freshpopcorn :D

You could do it up a lot cheaper than that. 2 mil maybe if you outsource everything and sit there on a three-legged stool watching them use the costliest materials available

You'd be surprised how quickly the costs would rack up. It'll be a listed listed building so you can't lash away at the work without taking extra precautions.

And it's also on an island.

Deep pockets man, deep pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭wassie

€250k for the entire Cavan village? Tempted, but I'll pass.

There's a dreamer section in the motor forum. This is a candidate for house sales version.

Aww c'mon......look at the positives. There's a 'Bus service to Dublin daily'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

wassie wrote: »
    Aww c'mon......look at the positives. There's a 'Bus service to Dublin daily'

Exactly. The only positive is that you can easily get away from it on a daily basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Who doesn't want an exposed chimney in the room, unscrewed sockets around the sink and a single bed with no mattress?

Who doesn't want an exposed chimney in the room, unscrewed sockets around the sink and a single bed with no mattress?

And who wants to stand up when in the kitchen either. :D

At least there was no expense spared on the garden furniture, that kind of makes up for the interior flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Am I the only one to notice the guy wearing just boxer shorts?

• Advertisement

Am I the only one to notice the guy wearing just boxer shorts?

The eye sees what the eye wants to see. :D

They look like ordinary shorts to me. They look too big to be boxers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You'd have to be brain damaged to live in a place like that. And if you're not, well, it probably wouldn't be long before you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭Archeron

Not to mention a herd of other peoples flip flops waiting to trip you up at the bottom of the stairs.

If that chimney belongs to another flat then that means you'll either have free heat, or basically no control over the temperature of your accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭lucalux

The eye sees what the eye wants to see. :D

They look like ordinary shorts to me. They look too big to be boxers.

Topless man in shorts, to be fair, but still fairly noticeable. To my eyes anyway :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement