Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First dibs if you are flogging it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Maybe... Maybe... But you'd have to take the pile of excrement that is Bubble Bobble 4 Friends as well... Feck me that is an awful awful game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

If?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    If?

I miss Enternow, he was much much kinder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd be up for it, hopefully I can stay longer this time :)

• Advertisement

Everyone is welcome, just no hugging....
    Unless there's an effective anti-viral or vaccine, then...
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475cd6f980af41b83de081ed126f305eddaef1620c&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Everyone is welcome, just no hugging....
    Unless there's an effective anti-viral or vaccine, then...
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475cd6f980af41b83de081ed126f305eddaef1620c&rid=giphy.gif
    Crying-baby-girl-behind-glass-door-732x549-thumbnail.jpg?w=756&h=567

So,

There will probably be no chance of a in-person meet for the Xmas Beers this year, unless things get freakishly better in a very short space of time.

With that in mind, how do people feel or how willing might they be for an online event instead?

Now, it might not be as much fun but it would be great to actually see everyone again.

We could play our way through some stuff, or watch those that can actually stream play some stuff, some of you might be close enough to stretch to an in-person meet, as long as it is safe to do so.

Just throwing it out there and seeing what people might think or what ideas they might have.

Here's one,
    We could hire a cinema to play games on a giant screen, that would allow social distancing while still getting together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That cinema idea would be excellent, have had it on the to do list for years! I wonder are any cinemas doing that at the mo?

o1s1n wrote: »
    That cinema idea would be excellent, have had it on the to do list for years! I wonder are any cinemas doing that at the mo?

As far as I know they are certainly renting them for private screenings, and some had an option for a hdmi input for gaming.
    Might be a way to make the Retron5 work for it's supper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Perfect place to be during a lockdown.
    This one is better than Bury imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ooo, meant to post that in the general thread. You all should have your next meetup in the Leeds and Bury over a Fri and Sat. Easily done.

So, Odeon cinemas just got back onto me.
    Looking for contact details.
    This might be a thing, depending on cost.
    So
    Early as it is
    I'm looking for December dates people can make work, not sure what the times are going to be like either...
    Exciting days indeed.
    So,
    Who would be willing to come?

Master of the Universe

Can stick me down as a definite! my entire December plans are a big fat nothing as of now and I can't see them changing any time soon..!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stick me down for it as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d potentially be interested, but (being very unhelpful :p) in general wouldn’t be super comfortable planning anything for the months ahead until I see where we’re at with the virus. If things are stable and relatively safe, I’d pop along - but would definitely be game for a virtual event, as it’s been a while :)

I figure a cinema screen would be large enough that we could be together, yet apart...
    Damn this war...
    But, yes, being safe is all important, so all is contingent on Ireland not looking like a localised version of the first chapter of The Stand...

I’d potentially be interested, but (being very unhelpful :p) in general wouldn’t be super comfortable planning anything for the months ahead until I see where we’re at with the virus. If things are stable and relatively safe, I’d pop along - but would definitely be game for a virtual event, as it’s been a while :)

Trumps says we will all be grand by November.

And Gemma O'Doherty says it's a hoax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Which Odeon cinema would it be in if it does go ahead?

Doge wrote: »
    Which Odeon cinema would it be in if it does go ahead?

I don't know, they've asked me which ones are my local, so I've two, Charlestown, in Finglas, and Coolock... in Coolock oddly enough...
    It could be very interesting if this is something to be pulled off, depending on price and the kind of connectivity.
    If they just toss a metres long hdmi cable out into the theatre, the Retron5 will work right away and it will be sweet.
    My PC would also do the trick, coupled with a bunch of Xbox One controllers, Saturn Bomberman via emulation on a movie screen!!!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Micro Machines multiplayer on the Megadrive on a cinema screen would be something else too. Rather excited about this!

I guess the key is in the prep work before hand getting stuff ready so you can just connect and go once you're there.

Get ambitions.

But we all know we will end up playing some garbage like Dinorex or Shaq Fu

Master of the Universe

Get ambitions.

But we all know we will end up playing some garbage like Dinorex or Shaq Fu

That Dinorex roar through a cinema sound system? :eek:

Obvs have to wait and see how stuff goes with the virus since I've so far to travel, doubt it tbh but I'd like to be optimistic.

Was chatting to Sparks tonight for ages about setting up a Discord meet if anyone's interested seems it'll work well, he'll play Knightmare Dizzy and we can watch/help he hasn't played before or we can play Switch games together like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing and he can stream it for everyone else to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Definitely interested but we'll have to see how things are by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

That Dinorex roar through a cinema sound system? :eek:

Have a dinorex pcb ready to go, it's ridiculously terribly brilliantly crap awesome.

Would love to go to this but the way things are you can't plan ahead tying your shoelaces. Still, if someone is on the ball at least the possibility exists :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm down. I can bring a Raspberry Pi loaded with games too, if that helps?

Obvs have to wait and see how stuff goes with the virus since I've so far to travel, doubt it tbh but I'd like to be optimistic.

Was chatting to Sparks tonight for ages about setting up a Discord meet if anyone's interested seems it'll work well, he'll play Knightmare Dizzy and we can watch/help he hasn't played before or we can play Switch games together like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing and he can stream it for everyone else to watch.
    Link is set up, we can use Sparks SMK tourney Discord, can be used on mobile too, have been using that for ages before my PC to play Call of Cthulu with Dinorex, so just lemme know who to DM it to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I’m game for the traditional Xmas beers virtual or otherwise!

• Advertisement

I got a message back from the Odeon group to say I should expect contact from the Charlestown and Coolock managers on the idea.
    Fingers crossed it can work and won't cost a fortune

So during lockdown we can't meet up, but how about the next best thing?

Why don't we use the Netplay feature of EMUVR to meet up in a Virtual Room and play some retro games, chat and even watch retro documentaries if needs be?

The cool thing is that you don't need a VR headset to play online in an EMUVR session also, but you will need a PC:

And yes, it even supports scanlines, aperture grill.
    You can choose from plenty of virtual CRT monitors including PVM/BVMs.
    One of us could host the room and customize it with posters and take requests on styling the room.

Another option that is VR only and even supports standalone VR headsets (Oculus Quest 1 & 2) would be Bigscreen, where we could meet in an online virtual cinema environment watch retro videos, or watch one person streaming themselves playing a retro game from their pc one at a time streaming and No Netplay unfortunately.

So... TLDR
    What do people think about the idea and who wants to have a Virtual Beers?

EMUVR sounds like the best option to me as its the closest thing possibly to a beers.

Master of the Universe

That's actually a really great idea.

I don't currently have a gaming PC myself though so wouldn't have the heft to run it. Wonder is there some way for us laptop using scum (!) to join? :D

I'd be there for the bants and to tell you how **** every game is.

That's actually a really great idea.

I don't currently have a gaming PC myself though so wouldn't have the heft to run it. Wonder is there some way for us laptop using scum (!) to join? :D

In desktop nonVR mode you might be able to run it. Im using an old laptop to rest at the moment.

Frame rate isnt the best on the old laptop but its running a puny Radeon 7600G APU.

Alternatively we could set up Retroarch with Netplay and have upto 4 players at a time with that and use a Discord Server for chat.
    We'd need to chat on discord with EMUVR also as you can only type.
    EMUVR uses an older version of Retoarch with netplay as its base emulator btw.

Edit: Leaving this link here for future reference on getting 4 players working in standalone Retroarch netplay:
    https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/10424

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'd be there for the bants and to tell you how **** every game is.

Never change :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    Frame rate isnt the best on the old laptop but its running a puny Radeon 7600G APU.

Alternatively we could set up Retroarch with Netplay and have upto 4 players at a time with that and use a Discord Server for chat.
    We'd need to chat on discord with EMUVR also as you can only type.
    EMUVR uses an older version of Retoarch with netplay as its base emulator btw.

Edit: Leaving this link here for future reference on getting 4 players working in standalone Retroarch netplay:
    https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/10424

Filling discord with a few heads and playing some games on Retroarch would be good fun too alright - will check out that netplay link now.

I won't be able to take part, unfortunately, but let me know how it all goes, sounds like a great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Ok where has that time gone. :confused:

Finally managed to get logged back in here after quite a long absence. Hope everyone is doing as well as possible in these **** times.

When the light at the end of the tunnel is the lamp of an oncoming train i pretty much hid away. But i shall promise to post more Boulder Dash goodies soon. (Fun fact. My WR on Twin Galaxies was not accepted) :eek:

Super Mario Kart is going well. Top 30 overall in PAL and NTSC and i might get away in August to our Championship event.

Little Miss Sparks is doing well and so is my Wife. All of us are sending love.

In regards Retroarch i'd be up for a few games online in the future. Have all the pads and know the setup to get something going. As for discord i'm on there regular in the SMK group and a few others dealing with retrogaming.

Chat very soon xxx

I'm hoping we might see each other soon enough.
    We have put up a cover over the patio here in Chez Ciderman, so there's extra space for us to occupy, especially in these warmer months.
    I suppose it depends on folks vaccine status at this point, my wife and I are vaccinated so it's up to the rest of you.
    We could target some Friday in August perhaps, make a big bash of it

I'll brush up on my Ghouls n'Ghosts skills.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'll brush up on my Ghouls n'Ghosts skills.

You've had over a year of lockdown, I'm expecting savant levels of ability. :D

You've had over a year of lockdown, I'm expecting savant levels of ability. :D

I'm expecting you'll be disappointed!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm expecting you'll be disappointed!

I'm expecting the joypad to be another dud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Would be great to meet up again and catchup alright :)
    We've been vaccinated recently and hopefully by August most people who want it will be done

I'd love to, the last few times we couldn't do it but I'll keep optimistic.
    Hopefully I'll have vaccine by then and there's no travel restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I've had my first dose of Pfizer, due another in a few weeks so I should be fully vaccinated.

I'd be well up for it, it's been quite a while since I've had a chance to hang with you folks! :-)

Master of the Universe

I see Token is set to reopen on the 30th of July!

Might not be safe yet to invade someone's home, but would anyone be up for a bit of a Token meetup maybe? be great to support the guys and see all your (masked!) faces again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm getting my 2nd dose of Pfizer at the weekend, so I'm game for a Token meet-up provided the new baby is cooperating at the time!

Sounds good to me.

Just remember the power of the Sega Nomad

You must respect that, should you bring one along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm surprised Token couldn't open as arcade only with bookings and limited capacity considering how many other places are open. Gyms apparently don't require masks and other places where you'd be a long time like the cinema and tattoo studios are open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement