Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You'll never be in a 70s rock band - why even live?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yes and no S. Yes he certainly stayed "with it" for longer than most and there were reminders of his genius in his latter years, but again his best work and the work he'll be remembered for in centuries to come was pretty much exclusively produced in his twenties up to his mid 30's, from 1969-1983. Which is bloody impressive. Precious few can keep a peak going for five years, never mind nearly fifteen and never mind continually pushing the boundaries of the art form. The Stones for example had about a five year peak, but innovative they were not, or at least in a limited way.

He was near enough the first to seek out producers and collaborators very different from where he was coming from and this shaped his output in a big way. A very clever and insightful move. Keeps you on your creative toes for longer. U2 and Madonna have also gone this route to good effect. He also branched out into other art forms like dance, acting, art, fashion. The word "genius" is bandied about way too much of late, but Dave Bowie was most certainly an example of one.
    He had a quiet 90's and 00's where he all but disappeared alright but his last two albums were right up there with his best stuff imo.

Definitely agree on the genius though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I see these teenagers wearing RAMONES , Nirvana, and the other day a Motorhead t shirt - I used to think fair play to them - but I wonder do they even know they exist ?

A friend of the family 19 yo girl was wearing a Stones t shirt.

Me - "so you like the Stones?"

Her - "who?'

Me - I smile and explain, with internal double face palm..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Francis Rossi: Have you ever listened to a Quo song and said, "Jesus that song could do with another chord"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

While doing the bank holiday car journeys last weekend, I turned on a couple of radio stations to see what "choonz" Phil Cawley et al were playing. It was a bad idea and I quickly reverted to my mp3 player.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe poetry at its best and most "leading edge" is similar to music, whereas prose or theatre/film scripting is has some of that but is more experience based? That said Shakespeare arguably wrote his best stuff in his twenties. IIRC he was in his mid twenties when he penned Hamlet?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Pet annoyance of mine: The inability to say The Beatles and Bob Dylan are anything less than perfect and godlike, especially among 50+ lads.

On a sidenote, I think Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Motorhead, The Fall, and Radiohead are a number of bands/artists who had a very long, consistent peak.

It does happen, though rarely enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Music always had a marketing element. However it use to be the artist fighting against being packaged. Now, thanks to boy bands and reality shows you've a lower grade and quicker turn over. Not to mention millions of low talent gimps happy to bend over for a marketing team to use them for a manufactured image, song and ideology. The reason why there's so much crap, (there was always crap) is the marketing people are paying the same few songwriters to create the same dross for the next in the production line.

Look at Beyonce. Her 'Lemonade' "concept" album credits reads like a phone book. How people fall for that sh*te of it being her vision is beyond me. Great performer, no doubt.

P.S: Skynard weren't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

wexie wrote: »
    Rock stars aren't being made anymore and the good ones that are still left are dying off one by one

:(

The new ones are being judged on looks and behaviour and marketability rather than their talent and music.
    Not good looking enough....that's too bad, yeah I appreciate you might well be the new Hendrix but it just won't sell on f*cking Instagram
    Sorry doll, we can't have that kind of behaviour no matter how well you sing. Corporate won't like it.

:mad:
    The last hard living musicians I can recall were Amy Winehouse and Pete Doherty. People just felt sorry for her and were annoyed by him.

PR people will try to use the party animal angle on certain musicians but nowadays it's usually just bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pet annoyance of mine: The inability to say The Beatles and Bob Dylan are anything less than perfect and godlike, especially among 50+ lads.

On a sidenote, I think Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Motorhead, The Fall, and Radiohead are a number of bands/artists who had a very long, consistent peak.

It does happen, though rarely enough.

Dylan released loads of stuff in the long middle of his career that was absolute ****.

I'm a fully paid up member of The Beatles can do no wrong club. I'd like to be able to say different, but even after years of listening to it their music still absolutely blows me away. Best quality control of any band ever IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You just have to live the lifestyle and very few do in this day and age.

You need to smoke, drink and dabble in recreational drugs.

You're not a rockstar if you're a vegan, male feminist, lightweight, health conscious, like going to bed early etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Arghus wrote: »
    Dylan released loads of stuff in the long middle of his career that was absolute ****.

I'm a fully paid up member of The Beatles can do no wrong club. I'd like to be able to say different, but even after years of listening to it their music still absolutely blows me away. Best quality control of any band ever IMO.

In fairness they did lose control of McCartney in the late 60s with ****e like Ob la di, ob-la-da & Maxwells Silver Hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The problem with being in Lynyrd Skynyrd is that you’d have to listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd every day. Everything else would be grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In fairness they did lose control of McCartney in the late 60s with ****e like Ob la di, ob-la-da & Maxwells Silver Hammer.
    Aye, though Ob la di, ob-la-da wasn't too bad. Throwaway sure, but hearing that for the first time back then it would have sounded very novel. 100% on Max's hammer shite.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wibbs wrote: »
    Aye, though Ob la di, ob-la-da wasn't too bad. Throwaway sure, but hearing that for the first time back then it would have sounded very novel. 100% on Max's hammer shite.

Find Ob la di rage inducing but in saying that Paul was still cranking a few classics per album.

Have to agree with another poster too about Tom Waits, Mule Variations, Bad As Me, Alice & Orphans up there with his best work imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tell you what I miss, ugly popstars. There'll never be another Renée & Renato.

Tell you what I miss, ugly popstars. There'll never be another Renée & Renato.

Get a satellite and tune into european tv stations. Netherlands and Germany in particular have some shall we say less than aesthetically pleasing superstars. There was/is a massively popular dutch singer who was the head cut of Paul Shane in Hi De Hi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Get a satellite and tune into european tv stations. Netherlands and Germany in particular have some shall we say less than aesthetically pleasing superstars. There was/is a massively popular dutch singer who was the head cut of Paul Shane in Hi De Hi.

Great for an aul drunken singalong :o

Rich Hall summed it up perfectly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

This is actually a very good thread. The 70s had some great rock bands.

Advertisement