Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You'll never be in a 70s rock band - why even live?

Options
  • 04-06-2018 3:59pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2

Just watched Lynyrd Skynyrd performing Freebird on Youtube. Just think the kind of life those guys lived, fame, money, a harem of beautiful young groupies waiting for you at every hotel etc.

Even if you were a rock star today you'd be expected to be like Ed Sheeran. It's depressing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

*relevant Simpsons the kids are wrong or used to be with it meme*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ed Sheeran isn't a rock star. He's a pop star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

There’s no way you could book out a hotel floor for cocaine and groupies and have a private back stairs booked just for carting out dead strippers.

The sponsors would drop you once some asshole snap chatted it.

There’s something inside me that hates ed Sheeran and modern day rappers and Beyoncé.
    It’s unhealthy and I should really work on that but I can’t even control my face when somebody tells me they are fans of them in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

verycool wrote: »
    *relevant Simpsons the kids are wrong or used to be with it meme*

... class after class of ugly, ugly rockstars ...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Looks like no one sent Conon McGregor that memo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Life's too short to listen to ****e like Freebird :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Not even just the 70s. But 80s and even early 90s. Basically any time before the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

There’s no way you could book out a hotel floor for cocaine and groupies and have a private back stairs booked just for carting out dead strippers.

There’s something inside me that hates ed Sheeran and modern day rappers and Beyoncé.
    It’s unhealthy and I should really work on that but I can’t even control my face when somebody tells me they are fans of them in real life.

Don't be dissing Drake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Guess what Lynyrd Skynyrd and Ed Sheeran have in common?
    They're both rubbish in their own ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Same goes for people that watch reality shows.
    My opinion of their intelligence immediately drops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Rock stars aren't being made anymore and the good ones that are still left are dying off one by one

:(

The new ones are being judged on looks and behaviour and marketability rather than their talent and music.
    Not good looking enough....that's too bad, yeah I appreciate you might well be the new Hendrix but it just won't sell on f*cking Instagram
    Sorry doll, we can't have that kind of behaviour no matter how well you sing. Corporate won't like it.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

cocaine, whores, and travel to foreign lands are no longer exclusive to the rich.

a taxi via ballymun to the airport for a ryanair flight will have you on par with any 70's legend.

(ring ahead and have your 3 star hotel in magaluf set up guitar hero for you for full effect)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Record labels indulged this behaviour. The “rock stars” either ended up dead or in rehab. Nothing impressive about that to be honest.
    As there’s no money from record labels anymore, of course they won’t tolerate it. Sponsors won’t tolerate it. That’s just the way things are now.
    Years ago musicians wouldn’t allow their songs on ads as it was seen as “selling out maaaaaan.”
    Now it’s one of the many ways of making money and keeping the ship afloat.
    I just find it funny that it was acceptable to turn up to your job out of your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

They were all killed in a plane crash

Great band though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

seachto7 wrote: »
    Record labels indulged this behaviour. The “rock stars” either ended up dead or in rehab. Nothing impressive about that to be honest.
    As there’s no money from record labels anymore, of course they won’t tolerate it. Sponsors won’t tolerate it. That’s just the way things are now.
    Years ago musicians wouldn’t allow their songs on ads as it was seen as “selling out maaaaaan.”
    Now it’s one of the many ways of making money and keeping the ship afloat.
    I just find it funny that it was acceptable to turn up to your job out of your mind.

How was the Ed Sheeran gig after, i believe sightlines and sound were a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Ed Sheeran shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.

As exciting as beige paint drying

seachto7 wrote: »

And that ladies and gentleman is precisely what's wrong with music these days.

A job....not a calling....a lifestyle....but a job...

Ed Sheeran shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.

As exciting as beige paint drying

Seems like a nice enough chap....not exactly a rock star though is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Great musicians are still around. There are guitarists out their easily on par with like of Hendrix etc right now.
    But that style of music isn't popular anymore, theyre musicians musicians if you know what I mean.

They're still drowning in fanny and strangled by willy but its just Berkeley school of music sex organs that they are engorging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Or if your were robert plant you could shove an alligators tail up a birds fanny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rock is becoming a niche genre, whereas it ruled the world in the 70s. It was the golden age of rock and I don't think anyone is ever going to do it better than Led Zeppelin or the Stones in their prime, maybe that's why it's falling out of favour these days. Musically I was born in the wrong decade, I listen to a lot of 70s rock and I was born in the mid 80s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
    - A Partridge

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

They were all killed in a plane crash

Great band though

wexie wrote: »
    And that ladies and gentleman is precisely what's wrong with music these days.

A job....not a calling....a lifestyle....but a job...

I'd rather all entertainers were doing it as a low-medium paid job.

Then I wouldn't have to look at the conveyor belt of auto-tuned, by-the-pool, big black ass, three ferraris in a row with all their doors open, ''lifestyles''.

Overlayed with a repetitive Yamaha synthesiser button beat chorus that a foul mouthed 5 year old could write.

greencap wrote: »

Then I wouldn't have to look at the conveyor belt of auto-tuned, by-the-pool, big black ass, three ferraris in a row with all their doors open, ''lifestyles''.

To a repetitive Yamaha synthesiser button beat that a foul mouthed 5 year old could write.

hmmm....but the reason we have to put up with all of this terrible music is because it all has to be safe and palatable and marketable and family friendly and clean and all that bollox...

That's what I think of that

Lemmy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

To a repetitive Yamaha synthesiser button beat chorus that a foul mouthed 5 year old could write.

For the vast majority of musicians who are lucky enough to get paid for their work it is a low to medium paid job.
    You'd be surprised how little some very popular acts are actually making. Unless your massive like Ed Sheeran its really not a great earner.

Cover bands is a whole other story though. Moneys good, I get 80 - 100 Euro for a 3 hour gig, but when you consider how much time it takes to become a competent musician its actually kinda crap.

hmmm....but the reason we have to put up with all of this terrible music is because it all has to be safe and palatable and marketable and family friendly and clean and all that bollox...

That's what I think of that

Lemmy.jpg

yet all they do is shte on about their lifestyles.

about their hoes and their houses and their cars.

thats its. nothing more. its all about lifestyle. about how my lifestyle is sooo much better than yours.

thats why i wish they were all paid 8.65.

because they would have nothing to shte on about.

and that would mean they would disappear.

and that would mean so would their auto tune shte.

(autotune) their shte would disappear(/autotune)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

thats its. nothing more. its all about lifestyle. about how my lifestyle is sooo much better than yours.

I’m blown away. I read the first post about putting them on minimum wage and thought “ah here we go” but now I’m picking up what you are putting down.

Ah okay, now I get it.

I guess that would be good.

But....we'd still be stuck with a music industry that seems to value the overall package more than the talent.

I think it's sad, cause like someone said earlier, the talent's gotta be out there. It doesn't just disappear. People still play instruments and are passionate about them, people still fall in and out of love and all the ingredients for good music are still there :(

Somewhere out there right now is a group of 4 or 5 unkempt ugly guys making good music, and they could be great...but chances are they never will be and we'll never know...

Like these blokes

rollingstones-featre.jpg

Then again...maybe it's just the industry giving the consumer what they want....not sure which would be worse to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Somewhere out there right now is a group of 4 or 5 unkempt ugly guys making good music, and they could be great...but chances are they never will be and we'll never know...

Like these blokes

rollingstones-featre.jpg

Then again...maybe it's just the industry giving the consumer what they want....not sure which would be worse to be honest.
    Well Wex... if you go back to the Stones heyday of truly great output, mid/late 60's to early 70's* most of the stuff in the charts was middle of the road easy listening. The first and only single the Beatles released that didn't get to number one was blocked from the topper most of the popper most by this:

Release me, by one Engelbert Humperdinck. Yep. And the Beatles single in question was of all things the double A side of Strawberry Fields forever/Penny Lane.. Double yep.

Now granted Humperdinck and the like could actually sing. No autotune required, well it didn't exist and they had to be able to do this stuff live. Even in videos, or Promotional films as they were, the general rule was that the artistes had to look like they were singing and playing instruments. The aforementioned Strawberry Fields forever/Penny Lane vids didn't show them singing(they had the money, rep and DGAF quotient so it got very trippy) and a few TV outlets wouldn't air them because of that.

TL;DR? since the charts and "popular music" kicked off most of it has been dreck or populist enough for the grannies to sing along to. Pick any time in pop history and you'll have a "Birdy song" near the top of the charts. Hell, even in Mozart's time there was enough maudlin crap to be going on with. We just remember the good and filter out the bad. If anything nowadays your choices have never been better. The world of music, past present and future is your oyster. On an endless loop on iTunes/spotify/youtube.

*they were a busted flush after that and more a cabaret act and before that they were playing catch up with the Beatles. But fair enough too. They earned their place in music and no mistake. I'd be more a Kinks/Who/Beatles fan mind you

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement