Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Ipad 16gb €346 etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Get onto your bank and tell them you have been scammed and do a chargeback pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnnygman

Arciphel wrote: »
    Get onto your bank and tell them you have been scammed and do a chargeback pronto.

From what i can see mate at this point I think/hope they are genuine site and I am going to sit tight till end of next week. I said at start for price saving would be willing to allow for poor service/slow delivery.
    Judging from reviews most people seemed to have a harder time getting money back after canceling order than waiting for goods.. Will keep u posted, am worried and disappointed with myself for making such a novice mistake for ordering from these cowboys but I think best to sit tight at this stage...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

They are legit but are very slow.
    I had ordered off them before because of the great prices but delivery took ages too.
    I went ahead and bought my item elsewhere and tried to cancel my order, they had sent it at that stage and just asked me to refuse delivery.
    Sure enough it was delivered a few days later and I just told the courier to bring it back.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is this company based in Ireland? Has Irish contact numbers..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

antodeco wrote: »
    Is this company based in Ireland? Has Irish contact numbers..

I sincerely doubt it. Remember just because a number is Irish doesn't mean it rings in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Guys, I don't want to advertise for my ads, I know that's against the rule.

But, don't forget adverts.ie....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I bought a camcorder of simplyelectronics couple of months ago for 400euro. It came quick, instructions manual was in a different language, other than that no problems. It was alot cheaper than other retailers too. Just my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

I bought something a while ago from these and it was fine. Not posted from outside the EU.
    But then .....
    I bought a laptop battery from them.
    I assumed it was shipped from the UK.
    Imagine my horror when it didnt arrive for 3 weeks and I found out why.

It was sent from Honk Kong. Customs got it and then charged me VAT plus handling charge etc.
    What started out at £55 inc postage ended up costing me nearly €100.
    I was sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

jamesbrond wrote: »
    I bought something a while ago from these and it was fine. Not posted from outside the EU.
    But then .....
    I bought a laptop battery from them.
    I assumed it was shipped from the UK.
    Imagine my horror when it didnt arrive for 3 weeks and I found out why.

It was sent from Honk Kong. Customs got it and then charged me VAT plus handling charge etc.
    What started out at £55 inc postage ended up costing me nearly €100.
    I was sickened.

Not doubting you, but how can there be vat of £45 on a £55 product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Jimdagym wrote: »

£55 = €62 approx
    €100 - €62 = €38

So roughly €38 on a purchase of €62.

Could be an administration charge included in that by the delivery company.
    and/or
    if the value was not declared on the package and revenue decided the value of the package was over €150, customs duty could have been included.

• Advertisement

enviro wrote: »
    £55 = €62 approx
    €100 - €62 = €38

So roughly €38 on a purchase of €62.

Could be an administration charge included in that by the delivery company.
    and/or
    if the value was not declared on the package and revenue decided the value of the package was over €150, customs duty could have been included.

I cant remember how the exact figures broke down but there was vat and a handling charge and it came to €31. And it started out as £55 including postage. Never again. It was only a laptop battery.

I really hope noone who paid hundreds for an ipad gets caught with this. It could nearly double the price you pay or close to it anyway. Just make sure its posted from the EU or you're screwed.

You can look up what the couriers charge for collecting the vat and duty on their websites. Add that to vat and duty and you'll be having a bad day if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

jamesbrond wrote: »
    I cant remember how the exact figures broke down but there was vat and a handling charge and it came to €31. And it started out as £55 including postage. Never again. It was only a laptop battery.

I really hope noone who paid hundreds for an ipad gets caught with this. It could nearly double the price you pay or close to it anyway. Just make sure its posted from the EU or you're screwed.

You can look up what the couriers charge for collecting the vat and duty on their websites. Add that to vat and duty and you'll be having a bad day if this happens.

There is no duty to be paid on importing an iPad into the eu.

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    There is no duty to be paid on importing an iPad into the eu.

Im sure the VAT and other charges will be hefty even without duty.
    You can find out what they would be easily enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭FakePlasticMan

I wouldn't sweat it too much OP. As far as i know SE have been around quite a long time. They have a terrible reputation for customer service and non delivery. but I don't think they have ever knowingly scammed anyone, or at least I've never read of anyone not getting their money back after having problems.

lots of people will tell you they have only ever had trouble free transactions. It's probably just luck of the draw.

At worst you may not receive the ipad, but I imagine you'll not end up out of pocket, just a little frustrated.

Such are the hazards of online shopping.

best of luck.

Robbie

Called Friday, plenty of excuses none of which made sense, rep had poor English and line quality horrible. Apologies and all that..I said if don't have it by end Weds Thurs nxt week I am cancelling order.
    Have checked site and now saying 16gb Ipad out of stock, what the betting they took my order and have no stock? site was listing over 400 in stock last week! must be just complete shambolic organisation. Will see what happen next week... if getting charged anythin on top I am returning it, sure that would make it worse than buying here off Apple!

Later..

johnnygman wrote: »
    Called Friday, plenty of excuses none of which made sense, rep had poor English and line quality horrible. Apologies and all that..I said if don't have it by end Weds Thurs nxt week I am cancelling order.
    Have checked site and now saying 16gb Ipad out of stock, what the betting they took my order and have no stock? site was listing over 400 in stock last week! must be just complete shambolic organisation. Will see what happen next week... if getting charged anythin on top I am returning it, sure that would make it worse than buying here off Apple!

Later..

Ring customs and check if they get it and send you a bill for the handling etc can you still return it at no charge. The charges might be to you at that point and have to be paid. I dont know this to be the case, but worth checking and then cancelling before they get it.

Laatest update: Have cancelled order, rang today and told more excuses re shipping and other rubbish. Girl said would be next week at best b4 get it, if I get it I was thinking! Told her have had enough and 2 weeks + going too far. Told me would take 5 workings days min to get money back but can see this taking weeks or more. Total joke of a site, please people stay away from them.
    Never again, add 1 more bad review to their name from me, frankly disgusted and don't think I will even bother with an Ipad now after this messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

johnnygman wrote: »
    Laatest update: Have cancelled order, rang today and told more excuses re shipping and other rubbish. Girl said would be next week at best b4 get it, if I get it I was thinking! Told her have had enough and 2 weeks + going too far. Told me would take 5 workings days min to get money back but can see this taking weeks or more. Total joke of a site, please people stay away from them.
    Never again, add 1 more bad review to their name from me, frankly disgusted and don't think I will even bother with an Ipad now after this messing around.

do man i got a 2month old 16gb for 280 yesterday and it really is worth it. superbly smooth piece of kit

Cracking buy mate, well done on that Sir. I really like them and use internet alot so would be nice but going to sit back for a while and see what's out there. Would not be prepared to go to more than 290 - 300 for a perfect used example..

do man i got a 2month old 16gb for 280 yesterday and it really is worth it. superbly smooth piece of kit

280 is a good deal especially with it being only 2 months old! Adverts.ie?

• Advertisement

280 is a good deal especially with it being only 2 months old! Adverts.ie?

no donedeal. as stated here before somewhere, most people on boards use adverts and drive the price of second hand ipads up artificially. look elsewhere for cheaper ones :D

and bear in mind jgman that youre still in a better position than i. im not sure whether ill get my 350 back from paypal from the scam, whether you should be nearly 100% sure of getting yours back from SE. chin up kiiiiiid :D

no donedeal. as stated here before somewhere, most people on boards use adverts and drive the price of second hand ipads up artificially. look elsewhere for cheaper ones :D

Yeah had a quick look on DoneDeal there... not much in that price range at the moment. I keep an eye on it though.

Yeah had a quick look on DoneDeal there... not much in that price range at the moment. I keep an eye on it though.

do man i had been looking since ipad 2 announcement and had no luck, then i popped on donedeal after work at 10 sat night and there was THE one advertised for 300, got it the next day :D

and bear in mind jgman that youre still in a better position than i. im not sure whether ill get my 350 back from paypal from the scam, whether you should be nearly 100% sure of getting yours back from SE. chin up kiiiiiid :D

Hateful mate, hope u get some joy, I fully expect and rightly so to get my money back and may learn a lesson here... I use Donedeal quite a bit, less price savy adverts at times and some bargains as a result. Will keep an eye on both to be honest. If can't get a good value used one may go mental and buy the Ipad 2 in a few weeks, see how it goes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Becareful of that company,
    A lot of their products are fake models and sold all over South east Asia as the real thing in knock of shops.
    I have seen some of their phones,look like the exact thing but they are copies and the software will pack in fairly quick.
    A lot of ebay sellers or companies based in Hong Kong are just fronts for chinese factories cloning popular products.
    read the reviews and take note of the warnings.

Sensibe advice, thanks for the heads up. Too late for me though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Jimdagym wrote: »

It's not just VAT though.
    It's...
    Import duty - based on the value of the goods in Ireland, not what you paid for it.
    +
    Handling/admin charge by the courier
    +
    VAT - Calculated on the total of the above.

Doesn't be long adding up. That's based on my experience buying from the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

I am sure its been mentioned on here before but with regards to to import duty etc, you will nearly always get hit with it if your item is being shipped with DHL/UPs/Fedex etc. But if the person sending the item uses the local carrier like we have AnPost, far less likely. Dont think I have ever been done with this route.

On a seperate note, can the Ipad accept an extrnal HDD/usb stick. IF so whats the benifit of buying a bigger IPad (32/64)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

cubix wrote: »
    I am sure its been mentioned on here before but with regards to to import duty etc, you will nearly always get hit with it if your item is being shipped with DHL/UPs/Fedex etc. But if the person sending the item uses the local carrier like we have AnPost, far less likely. Dont think I have ever been done with this route.

On a seperate note, can the Ipad accept an extrnal HDD/usb stick. IF so whats the benifit of buying a bigger IPad (32/64)

Thanks

An Post are catching people now as well.

iPad can't accept external disks.

Advertisement