Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Irish Films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

Life's a Breeze.
    cos it hasn't been mentioned yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bore off you big child.

Keep it friendly please.

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Keep it friendly please.

/mod

You're quite right. It's really not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Professional critics, their reviews, and their opinions, are just as subjective as the rest of us. They just use fancier words and more esoteric references to back them up, compared to your average viewer.

They've also seen a lot more films than the average viewer. No Irish film is great.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,090 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

vriesmays wrote: »
    They've also seen a lot more films than the average viewer. No Irish film is great.

You tried that already and failed miserably

• Advertisement

None of the films mentioned here are great. Just because you thought some Irish title was good doesn't make the everyone else wrong. A great film will still be watched 50 years from now. Most Irish films resemble bad TV movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Did you not get a part in some Irish movie? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,155 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just because you thought some Irish title was good doesn't make the everyone else wrong.

Just because you or Film Review 1989 (side note: still laughing at that one) thought some Irish title was bad doesn’t make everyone else wrong.

You’re making this way too easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The best films are the ones that the viewer subjectively enjoys and feels entertained by. I have seen brilliant movies that get terrible reviews and are classed as " squishy rotten tomatoes" and turkeys. I happened to like them.

Some of the online rating sites can disable your spectrum of movies to watch. If you don't watch a movie that is classified as 23% on RT, just cause a few dickhead intellectuals living in Greenwich Village don't like it, you are going to overlook some great films, believe.

Films are there to be enjoyed, if your watching a movie to annihilate it and call it a piece a shight afterwards why are you bothering? It is your own time your wasting.

My left foot isn't even an Irish film. It got funded by Grenada television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Long forgotten about movie called The Courier - Trailer. Very much captures Dublin of the late 80s. Low budget & quite gritty, but a decent watch with a great Irish soundtrack.

Full movie is on youtube

There's a reason it's long forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My all-time favorite is hands down Intermission. I've seen it more times than I care to remember.

So amazingly quotable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a reason it's long forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Poitin. Look past the fact that it's in Irish, great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Johnstown Monster

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The Johnstown Monster

Tongue in cheek?

I doubt many here have seen this ultra low budget children's movie, but charming and all as it is an episode of Wanderley Wagon would give it a run for its money. :D

A brief synopsis here: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/j/

My left foot isn't even an Irish film. It got funded by Grenada television.

“My Left Foot” (1989) (103 mins) Biopic/Drama

Daniel Day-Lewis, Ray McAnally, Brenda Fricker, Hugh O’Connor, Fiona Shaw, Cyril Cusack, Adrian Dunbar, Ruth McCabe, Alison Whelan.

Director: Jim Sheridan.

Written by: Jim Sheridan & Shane Connaughton.

Filmed at Ardmore Studios and in Counties Dublin and Wicklow.

Based on the autobiography of Christy Brown, an Irish writer/artist with cerebral palsy, featuring the role of his mother in his life.

Nothing Irish about this film. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Del.Monte wrote: »
    “My Left Foot” (1989) (103 mins) Biopic/Drama

Daniel Day-Lewis, Ray McAnally, Brenda Fricker, Hugh O’Connor, Fiona Shaw, Cyril Cusack, Adrian Dunbar, Ruth McCabe, Alison Whelan.

Director: Jim Sheridan.

Written by: Jim Sheridan & Shane Connaughton.

Filmed at Ardmore Studios and in Counties Dublin and Wicklow.

Based on the autobiography of Christy Brown, an Irish writer/artist with cerebral palsy, featuring the role of his mother in his life.

Nothing Irish about this film. :rolleyes:

Don't waste any more time on that person. We all keep taking the bait.

Everyone's getting confused with Irish and Irish-themed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Flight of the doves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Michael Collins

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Everyone's getting confused with Irish and Irish-themed.

Read the mother-f*cking OP.
    I would like to hear people's recommendations of the greatest Irish films.

They can be set in Ireland, actually made in Ireland or have some other link to the country. 'Irish' themed, basically.

In that case Leprechuan in space is the greatest Irish film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

In that case Leprechuan in space is the greatest Irish film.

An all time classic, I am not surprised you like it to be fair. Definitely your type of flick for sure.

1413821283_leprechaun-zoom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

These probably don't count but my two favourites would be Barry Lyndon and Miller's Crossing.

These probably don't count but my two favourites would be Barry Lyndon and Miller's Crossing.

Barry Lyndon is right up there and with a superb soundtrack. All sorts of interesting people in the cast too including our own late lamented Godfrey Quigley; Leonard Rossiter (Reggie Perrin) and not forgetting Ryan O'Neal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Gotta be Intermission for me. "Deirdre, come're for a sec..." (fumbling with trousers ensues). So amazingly quotable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭saabsaab

My list of completely Irish films would comprise of A Man of No Importance & Song for a Raggy Boy.

And one other notable one that was not Irish themed but was filmed in Ireland; The Great Train Robbery with Sean Connery.

Hard to watch at times but a great film - song for a Raggy Boy. great performances from Iain Glen and Aidan Quinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Although I do like some of Neil Jordan's stuff I think The Treaty was far better made than Michael Collins, I thought Brendan Gleeson played a more credible Collins and it stuck more to the facts and bonus being it didn't feature Julia Roberts. The time I saw it it was in two parts so a TV movie. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190088/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement