Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Greatest Irish Films

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This must be the Place - Famed award winning Italian director Paolo Sorrentino. Sean Penn stars as a depressed, passed it rock star. Set predominantly in Dublin. Bono's daughter cameo's and a cool tribute to the famous Talking Heads song which shares the films title. Well worth a watch.

Seen that in Savoy One as the surprise film at the DIFF that year.

Had never even knew it was being made and so it was kinda surreal to suddenly be watching a film starring Sean Penn playing something of a curehead in Dublin, who couldn't accept that the 80's were over and who wandered around Irishtown :P

At least I think it was Irishtown. Must watch it again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Thread seems to have gone totally off topic from 'The Greatest Irish Films' to any Irish Film. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Seen that in Savoy One as the surprise film at the DIFF that year.

Had never even knew it was being made and so it was kinda surreal to suddenly be watching a film starring Sean Penn playing something of a curehead in Dublin, who couldn't accept that the 80's were over and who wandered around Irishtown :P

At least I think it was Irishtown. Must watch it again sometime.

Yes, it is a nice film. If you liked it you check out Paolo Sorrentino's other films, he is brilliant. The Consequences of Love, is sublime and the ending will change how you see life forever. He also did a great film about Giulio Andreotti, Il Divo, a really good watch. Recently he has done a two part movie on Silvio Berlusconi , however I am struggling to find the original version with English subs, my Italian is dreadful. He makes great movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Astonished that Frank (2014) hasn't been mentioned yet. One of Abrahamson's best IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

That's because it's a thread for the greatest Irish films.

• Advertisement

I'm going to define great as The Irish Movies That I Have Watched The Most, and the reason I watched them the most is that they are massively entertaining (though flawed). They are

The Commitments, and
    The Field.

The film that probably impressed me the most was Garage and I was excited at the direction Irish cinema might be taking - getting the very best out of domestic actors and challenging but subtle subject matter.

If there's any scope for calling In Bruges Irish then that's my all time favourite.

"In Bruges" - Martin McDonagh, Irish/British Director; co-starring two leading Irish actors - Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell. Irish enough for me: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/i-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

In the name of the father is amazing. Intermission rocks. Snapper and Van are personal favourites. My left foot is an epic film and fully deserved of its Oscar.

I loved the General film with Brendan Gleason. When watching a film though I don't care if it's Irish or not. If it's good it's good and if it's bad I don't give it the benefit of the doubt because it's Irish. Saying that I am always proud of actors or singers or any Irish person that does well.

PS loved the Garage with Pat Short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "In Bruges" - Martin McDonagh, Irish/British Director; co-starring two leading Irish actors - Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell. Irish enough for me: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/i-2/

In Bruges is a Belgian Film....joke. loved it. Was hilarious. I reckon the Bruges Tourist Board loved it as the amount of people I hear going for weekends to Bruges has increased Exponentially. Would love to go solely to slag off fat Americans attempting to go up the tower. There would be bonus points if they called me a horrible horrible man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Thread seems to have gone totally off topic from 'The Greatest Irish Films' to any Irish Film. :confused:

Thanks for sharing your insight Rex.

rex-reed.jpg

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your insight Rex.

rex-reed.jpg

Apt username. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

joeguevara wrote: »
    In Bruges is a Belgian Film....joke. loved it. Was hilarious. I reckon the Bruges Tourist Board loved it as the amount of people I hear going for weekends to Bruges has increased Exponentially. Would love to go solely to slag off fat Americans attempting to go up the tower. There would be bonus points if they called me a horrible horrible man.
    My brother got a copy of it in the Bruges tourist office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Zoned was a great Irish comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Zonad.

Zonad.

Without doubt one of the worst Irish productions ever.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The Stag was decent. Some great performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

"The Run of The Country" and "The Playboys" both set in beautiful Redhills

I thought Albert Finney was great in The Playboys, very underrated film

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Stag anyone?

Nah, the "Fionnán" scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234570/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

i really like this one and it hasn't been mentioned yet...

wouldn't count as one of the greatest though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm guessing many Daniel Day Lewis films have been mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭huberto

Rooney (1958) - Authentic footage around Dublin.
    Many Irish actors well-known to those of a certain age, including Noel Purcell, Maureen Toal, Jack McGowran, Godfrey Quigley, Barry Fitzgerald, Marie Kean, Eddie Byrne.
    Plot a bit ropey, but engaging.
    Turns up on Talking Pictures occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

huberto wrote: »
    Rooney (1958) - Authentic footage around Dublin.
    Many Irish actors well-known to those of a certain age, including Noel Purcell, Maureen Toal, Jack McGowran, Godfrey Quigley, Barry Fitzgerald, Marie Kean, Eddie Byrne.
    Plot a bit ropey, but engaging.
    Turns up on Talking Pictures occasionally.
    Seen it on it wasn't mcanally on it?? good old channel that amazing how many Irish accents turn up in those old films

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yorgos Lanthimos's recent films have all been Irish co-productions - the Lobster was mostly shot here as well. I really liked The Favourite

Badabing wrote: »
    Michael inside

Just saw this on Netflix a minute ago. A thoroughly infuriating film. Brilliantly acted, directed and filmed with a poignant script and an ineffably more poignant use of silences. The ex-con doing the PhD talking to Michael and the others was one of two pieces of hope in the film and you're just there hoping that speech will help him turn his life around. The interviewer in the college almost in tears reading a reference for Michael written by his grandfather, after she had explained to Michael that it can't be a relative and Michael responds 'It's a character reference'. And you felt there that he could be saved because of what she was reading in that letter.

It was the compellingly realistic outline of how somebody who is trying to go straight can get sucked into a life of crime, pain and destruction that made this film so infuriating. So many times I was watching it encouraging the character to speak to the governor (when inside) and to some detective about what was happening outside, but in reality neither could probably do anything to have protected him from the relevant hoodlums and from crossing those lines in life which are very hard to uncross.

Definitely one of the best acted and most thoughtful films I've seen in a long, long time, but disturbing precisely because of that quality.

Intermission gets my vote!

Absolutely the funniest film and script ever. That little bastard on the bike with the taxi driver's life in his hands was priceless. So many hilarious scenes and a great script and deadpan humour where loads of stuff didn't even have to be said. I Went Down and In Bruges was in the same category humour wise, but Intermission had tears in my eyes for almost its entirety.

On a totally different note, Once was an absolutely lovely, fresh, positive and different film with an equally fresh soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Black 47 was absolutely class.

I honestly thought that movie was absolute ****e, despite my hope that it was gonna be epic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

'This is My Father' is an Irish film that has stayed with me over the years.

Advertisement