Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toy Story 4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Going by how many billions Disney has earned, re-hashing the old 90s cartoons as live-action remakes, I doubt the studio are feeling that worried about going over old ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tony EH wrote: »
    Can only agree with others. Toy Story is near to being the perfect trilogy of films. Actually, it probably is a perfect trilogy. It taps into so many things for so many people of so many ages, it's quite brilliant when you think of it.

I just don't know why this needs to continue. Because, almost inevitably, it is going to embody the diminishing returns cliche, even if the previous sequels haven't.

Shut up Tony.

Ok, that trailer has me on board. biggrin.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pixelburp wrote: »
    Going by how many billions Disney has earned, re-hashing the old 90s cartoons as live-action remakes, I doubt the studio are feeling that worried about going over old ground!
    Look what happened when they took over Star Wars!

The Force Awakens a New Hope :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Huh. Trailer did nothing for me tbh. Doesn't look like anything we haven't seen before.

Although having said that, what we've seen before was pretty great – so not discounting it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well. That was a really good trailer. It was better than I expected tbh.

I would like to see more trailers obviously but it's 1st outing is a very good start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Goodshape wrote: »
    Huh. Trailer did nothing for me tbh. Doesn't look like anything we haven't seen before.

Looks exactly like the plotlines of 1&2 mixed together!

Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Big meh from me. I know Disney isn't going to give up such a big money spinner, but this still seems totally unnecessary. At the least they should have focused it on a different group of toys. 3 should have been left as the conclusion to Woody and Buzz's story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They just cannot help themselves. They couldn't leave a perfect trilogy alone.

In fairness though, I'm looking forward to the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That trailer has me turning a little lukewarm on this film now: that first promotion definitely plucked the emotional heartstrings, but the more 'story' I've seen, the more 'meh' I have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reviews for this are due to start later today... I think this is one of those movies that will fill screens no matter how badly it reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

It won't review badly. It's Toy Story

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reviews are out now. Very positive. Weakest of the 4 (just about), but still classic Pixar.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_4
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/toy-story-4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's a nice film and the 90 minutes flew by as always, and some excellent laugh out loud moments. But noticeably the weakest of the series and is pretty much a rehash of the others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have *strong feelings* about the Toy Story series, because the first was a real favourite of mine as a kid and the sequels hit at just the right times for me to get the most out of them I think. So bear that in mind as I inevitably overanalyse this dumb Pixar toy movie ;)

Let's reiterate a point that was made earlier: this film doesn't need to exist. You could have argued Toy Story 3 never really needed to exist either (well, insomuch as any film needs to exist) but TS3 wrapped everything up near perfectly - the film itself wasn't without its problems, but the last act is a rare triumph of franchise closure. I mean, it even visually loops back to the first moments of Toy Story 1 - it was done, and it was easy to ignore the throwaway shorts they've released since. This fourth film exists because Disney / Pixar like money, and it was engineered from that point. It's hard to ignore because of the '4' - this is being sold as a proper full chapter. So, does it make a convincing argument that we needed to revisit these toys one more time? Sort of - at the very least it tries.

The most noteworthy thing here is how weird it is, right up until a mid-credit scene that pushes a running joke to an incredible new extreme. Not David Lynch weird or anything (though there's also one scene that I think would have freaked me the **** out as a kid), just weird by Pixar and Toy Story standards. Forky is a masterful addition, and also the most bat**** of the entire series. His existential identity crisis is as intense as it is hilarious, and the film perks up as soon as he's introduced. The film often feels like dishing up the leftover good ideas that didn't quite fit into the other ones - scenes and sequences that don't necessarily coalesce perfectly, but are pretty good on their own terms. It's very probably the funniest Toy Story film, with some legitimately great and unexpected gags dotted throughout. Some of the new toys are wonderful - obvious how much fun they clearly had animating the tiny Giggle McDimples particularly. Also big credit for having a
    villain who's not really a villain, as there was a little bit too much crossover between Stinky Pete & Lotso.

Oh, and visually it's marvellous. It's been a few years since I watched Toy Story 3, but the fidelity and technology here feels like a proper leap - and Josh Cooley takes good advantage of it with extraordinarily detailed settings and beautiful compositions, particularly a rainy prologue that feels primarily like a way to show off how far we've come technically in the past two and a half decades. You got to give the creatives credits for managing to fit in some truly beautiful moments too - the
    wordless reunion scene between Woody and Bo
    takes full advantage of one of the series' core rules in a deeply poignant, romantic and clever way.

It's the writing that gives some cause for hesitation when it comes to praising the film. From the off you can feel the scriptwriters' brains in overdrive, trying to come up with situations and context to get what they want to across. It's relentlessly contrived in a way the others weren't, and inevitability retreads the same old ground we've covered before. Ultimately, it does arrive somewhere newish, and there's definitely reflections on issues such as ageing and finding one's place in the world as the years tick by. But there's a lot of moving parts, and at worst it can feel like such a hodgepodge that it's fairly tricky to care about where it's all going. While the ending is predictably emotional - and pretty well handled - it falls well short of the overwhelming one-two punch of TS3's furnace/Bonnie's garden finale.

This is very much a Woody (and Bo Peep, who gets plenty of great material) story, to the point where it feels like many of the other characters are taking up space - Buzz included. I mean you could argue they were already struggling to come up with more directions for the likes of Jessie and Buzz in TS3, but it's doubly the case here. Most of the side characters are, well, sidelined and you'd barely miss the likes of Rex, Hamm, the Potato Heads if their few lines were cut. Much more time is given to a handful of new additions. I don't think it's necessarily a problem as such, but it gives the impression of the film being rather noisy with a lot of franchise baggage. And while it was always hard to ignore the corporate and branding elements in the series, the fact that Dinsey are selling Forky toys now is so absurd and egregious it actually kind of hurts the film itself :pac:

If there's one overarching problem, it's that everything feels kinda lightweight. That's fine, but this is a series that has constantly overachieved. This is a sillier, messier, less purposeful film than its predecessors. I'm actually glad they played with things like tone and pacing a bit, if only because a film series should constantly try something new within the inevitable constraints. Perhaps inevitably, though, it simply does not reach the remarkable heights Pixar has set for itself even if it does manage to find new angles in the core conceits and themes of the series.

To end on a positive, though, I had a whole lot of fun watching it - and while that's a lesser experience than I've come to expect from Toy Story, it's a whole lot better than I feared when I first heard a fourth film was on-the-way. Good, not great... but thank Christ it isn't worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

10/10

I couldn't imagine a film better than toy story 3 but somehow they did it.

My heart broke at the final scene and I cried in the cinema for possibly the only time in my life

:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

10/10

I couldn't imagine a film better than toy story 3 but somehow they did it.

My heart broke at the final scene and I cried in the cinema for possibly the only time in my life

:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I had heard that the ending was "heartbreaking" but I didn't think it was too bad at all. I was much more...emm..."emotional" at the end of TS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Saw it last night and as mentioned above, there's some really genuine laugh out loud moments in it as well as some more emotional bits -
    the lost child scene where the "villain" also gets closure really got to me for some reason, Bonnie's first day in playschool, and the end where Woody makes his decision (with the echo back to the opening sequence) was really well done

Almost all of the regulars are reduced to fleeting appearances really -
    although the scene where they take control of the RV was hilarious
    - which is a bit disappointing, but this was a Woody and Bo story really so not that surprising.

Forky was great -
    his ongoing attempts to throw himself in the bin early on were brilliant
    - and a welcome addition to the gang
    (eventually!)

Overall while it may not have been an essential installment, it ties things up pretty well by the end, and both me and my 7 year old little fella really enjoyed it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As most have said: It didn't need to exist but it's still a very good film (If not quite up to the heights of TS3)

I did feel the original gang were very underused. I was wondering why all the promotion was about Tom Hanks. I knew he was the focus of the movie (Like all of them) but there seemed to be very little promotion from Tim Allen and now we know why: It's 80% Boo and Woody.

Forky was very annoying initially but grew on you - Exactly as intended. And Gabby Gabby was probably the best "baddie"
    ;)
    . Her speech to Woody towards the end was fantastic. I wasn't too gone on the fluffy toys. I thought their "Plans" were hilarious but apart from that they didn't do it for me.

Now Duke Caboom on the other hand...... Simply fantastic. But please DON'T give us a spinoff movie. We saw exactly enough of him.

The last scene:
    "Is Woody a Lost Toy?" "Not anymore"
    was fantastic. Not quite as good as "So long cowboy" but still excellent.

But please PLEASE let that be then end of it. They had 3 fantastic movie and one very good movie. Stop... Now. I really don't want to see
    The continuing adventures of Wody and Boo

So: Not needed but the pulled it off with a nice love story/who-am-I Story and two great additional characters but stop now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

While the idea of TS4 annoyed me once announced, I was hopeful that there were better intentions behind making it than just to keep milking the cash cow. If this is the quality of a Toy Story sequel post the original trilogy then I'm happy for the series to continue. I enjoyed every bit of it, it made me laugh, the new characters were fun, it asked bigger, more philosophical questions than before in it's own way, and served as a new close to the series should it be decided to stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Loved the trilogy and had no interest in seeing this. So I didn't.

Might catch it some day on iTunes but in no rush. Seems like the US box office was strong but fell below Disney's expectations and well below Incredibles 2: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/06/toy-story-4-box-office-summer-sequels

They should've left it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw it yesterday. It wasn't bad, but it was definitely a tacked on cash grab. Worst toy story by a mile, but I'd still give it a 7 out of 10. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Saw it yesterday with the kids.

Echoing what many have said here already. Feels like a film too far for the franchise, but it was enjoyable all the same, considering I would take the kids to other animated films throughout the years that couldn't lace the boots of TS4.

So despite Forky, Duke Kaboom, the decent ending etc, I do think they should have left the series at TS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cienciano wrote: »
    Saw it yesterday. It wasn't bad, but it was definitely a tacked on cash grab. Worst toy story by a mile, but I'd still give it a 7 out of 10. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it

Eh , but you did didn't you unless you go by a cinema everyday?

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it and was so happy it was not a bad film or the start of a new trilogy.

For me it provided perfect closure for Woodie and the gang.

I would argue it's better than Toy Story One but all four are great films.

It should be left as this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

My initial reaction is

Toy Story 1 - 10

Toy Story 2 - 10

Toy Story 3 - 10

Toy Story 4 - 7

Still enjoyed it but didn't really care for the conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Apparently the BBC were shading it because there weren't enough toys of colour or some such nonsense, is there any pleasing these people

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

murpho999 wrote: »
    Eh , but you did didn't you unless you go by a cinema everyday?

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it and was so happy it was not a bad film or the start of a new trilogy.

For me it provided perfect closure for Woodie and the gang.

I would argue it's better than Toy Story One but all four are great films.

It should be left as this now.
    I only went to see it cos the weather was terrible and I told the kids they I'd bring them to the cinema. Personally I wouldn't recommend people to make a night out of it. I'm saying that as a person who expected toy story 3 to be terrible but loved it. I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's always going to be subjective

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

silverharp wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC were shading it because there weren't enough toys of colour or some such nonsense, is there any pleasing these people

Pfft that's nothing. YouTube as ever hosts the most catastrophically dumb culture wars take on this film, courtesy of Grace Randolph:

https://twitter.com/aratazannataz/status/1142354347063308288

Advertisement