Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohemian Rhapsody (Freddie Mercury Biopic)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Looking forward to this.

I recently watched a pseudo documentary about Queen and Freddie on Channel 5.

Part real footage, part dramatic recreations.

Some of the interviews were interesting (none of the Queen lads partook) and it provided me with alot of stuff I didn't know, the Irish boyfriend for example. The footage of him from behind the scenes of the last music video he made was heartbreaking.

I did have a major issue with the way his personal life was portrayed / recreated. I'd describe it as a lurid News of the World article come to life, very distasteful and disrespectful, you could tell that makers reveled in making it look seedy.

On another note, can anyone recommend me a good non biased bio on Freddie or the band?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Looking forward to this.

Some of the interviews were interesting (none of the Queen lads partook) and it provided me with alot of stuff I didn't know, the Irish boyfriend for example. The footage of him from behind the scenes of the last music video he made was heartbreaking.

I did have a major issue with the way his personal life was portrayed / recreated. I'd describe it as a lurid News of the World article come to life, very distasteful and disrespectful, you could tell that makers reveled in making it look seedy.

On another note, can anyone recommend me a good non biased bio on Freddie or the band?

Best one in my opinion

Days of our lives.

Part 1

Part 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cheers, will give them a view, I actually ment a boom though, shudda specified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Thanks for putting that up jonon9, changed my opinion of this film as well. They can make whatever type of film they want.

Having said that John Deacon's devastation at Freddie's death and his refusal to partake in any attempt to prolong Queen because of Freddie not being here still hangs at the back of my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wonder when this will be on the true movie channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Having said that John Deacon's devastation at Freddie's death and his refusal to partake in any attempt to prolong Queen because of Freddie not being here still hangs at the back of my mind.

Queen post Freddie was/ will never be as good as these reincarnations and maybe John knows that deep down

The current version of Queen with the youthful Adam Lambert is very commercial and you knw (only speculating) Simon Cowell and the x factor/BGT likes are providing funds for these tours. Maybe the lads are collecting for the pension. Still im looking forward to seeing queen in Nov and this movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Saw some new pics of the band online... Guys playing deacon and may are spot on. Blonde guy is like roger but not sure about malek as Freddie... Good in some shots but others are terrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Looking forward to this.

Then I would take what is said with a pinch of salt especially if they werent actually there at the time.

Jim Hutton died over 7 years ago now and actually released a book of his time with Freddie AND of the others who were actually there........some not around now either.

Freddie didnt have a very good relationship with the press as they portrayed him quite badly way back in the mid 70's that is one reason why he rarely gave them interviews and you can see him sarcastically refer to this sometimes in concerts etc. As regards any docu-programmes you watch made well after the time and without the people who were there..........anybody can gather together old snippets of anything and change the truth to fit what they want to portray.

Believe those who knew him...... Brian May, John Deacon, Roger Taylor, Elton John, Peter Freestone, Peter Straker, Dave Clarke, Roy Thomas Baker, Jim Beach, Peter Hince, Mike Moran, Reinhold Mack..........people like this are still alive so probably anything they say will be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pictures from some in the crowd for the Live Aid scenes.

There was a video but it was taken down for copyright.

DJYQgTUXkAAPXTA.jpg
    DJYQhZKX0AAPmSS.jpg

May is enjoying it.
    DJYQh7qXUAcyWGE.jpg
    DJYQg0_W0AAXlw7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As much as I like Malik in other roles, this is ultimately going to be a dissapointment. Sasha Baron Cohen's vision of an authentic Freddie biopic should be made instead, this sounds like it's going to be a sterilised version of the Queen story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Pictures from some in the crowd for the Live Aid scenes.

There was a video but it was taken down for copyright.

DJYQgTUXkAAPXTA.jpg
    DJYQhZKX0AAPmSS.jpg

May is enjoying it.
    DJYQh7qXUAcyWGE.jpg
    DJYQg0_W0AAXlw7.jpg

Not right at all wheres the famous bulge :D In all seriousness them pictures just look weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It will be utter garbage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

At least the guy holding the camera, who Freddie famously danced around holding the camera during live aid, looks authentic. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Video is on vimeo:
    https://vimeo.com/233607326

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Freddie Mercury Movie Halts Due To Bryan Singer ‘Health Issue’
    Production has been temporarily halted on Bohemian Rhapsody, the Bryan Singer-directed film about the British rock band Queen and its frontman Freddie Mercury, with Mr Robot’s Rami Malek playing the singing legend. The studio has said the reason is a “health matter” involving the director. There have been rumors surrounding Singer and the production for some time, including that film took breaks more than once because of the mercurial director going AWOL from the London shoot. Word I am hearing is that he hasn’t shown up for the past three days.

The studio issued this vague statement: “Twentieth Century Fox Film has temporarily halted production on Bohemian Rhapsody due to the unexpected unavailability of Bryan Singer.”

Singer’s reps later said in a statement: “This is a personal health matter concerning Bryan and his family. Bryan hopes to get back to work on the film soon after the holidays.”

Insiders said the studio still hopes to get the film on track for a December 25, 2018 release. The studio would not comment on how far along the production has gotten before Singer took this sabbatical, or whether the film will continue with him. Indications are the studio might wait for him to return.

It becomes very difficult when a film is in production and the filmmaker has proven unreliable. Word around town is that Fox has been having discreet discussions with replacement helmers to finish the film, even before the studio halted production today. Sources tell Deadline that the film is about two weeks away from completing principal photography, so if another direct is brought in, he or she would need to finish the shoot and oversee postproduction.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/freddie-mercury-bryan-singer-rami-malek-queen-postponement-movie-1202218722/

Health issues? or the next scandal I wonder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

He has a reputation for going AWOL as far back as The Usual Suspects, which I have a hard time believing given that he was a nobody at the time. Either way it's behaviour studios used to be cool with but have now decided its grounds for evoking force majeure to shut the production down and/or bring in another director. Seems to me the studio was just waiting for an excuse to give him the boot. The film will probably never the see the light of day anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

He has a reputation for going AWOL as far back as The Usual Suspects, which I have a hard time believing given that he was a nobody at the time. Either way it's behaviour studios used to be cool with but have now decided its grounds for evoking force majeure to shut the production down and/or bring in another director. Seems to me the studio was just waiting for an excuse to give him the boot. The film will probably never the see the light of day anyway.

Apparently the production was shut down two days over Spacey and allegations of sexual assault against a younger actor. Gabriel Byrne said he didn't know why at the time and that over the years he heard what had apparently gone on. Whether Singer also went AWOL too I'm not sure, but maybe this instance was added to the lore that he goes missing during production, maybe not. Given it also happened in Superman Returns you'd wonder if that happened again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apparently the production was shut down two days over Spacey and allegations of sexual assault against a younger actor. Gabriel Byrne said he didn't know why at the time and that over the years he heard what had apparently gone on. Whether Singer also went AWOL too I'm not sure, but maybe this instance was added to the lore that he goes missing during production, maybe not. Given it also happened in Superman Returns you'd wonder if that happened again.

The pre-2017 gossip re: Usual Suspects was that Singer walked in on Spacey with Singer's (young but legal age) boyfriend and stormed off the set causing the production to be briefly shut down while everyone calmed Singer down. This was framed in the context of tabloid stories about Spacey definitely being gay. Byrne's recent claim (filtered through severals years of hearsay and the current Weinstein narrative) that the production was shut down because Spacey was accused of assaulting a young actor seems like an evolution of this story. Who knows what really happened but you can be sure it's been exaggerated and distorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement

What a disaster! It's nearly finished but I wonder if they'll get someone to reshoot enough of it that they can take Singer's name off? Assuming that's possible under DGA rules.

Shame, rightly or wrongly May and Taylor were very protective of this production. I'd say they're sick right now.

Maybe Joss Whedon can sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Singer is a scumbag

Apparently it's a lot worse than thought; he had been warned by a tonne of high-level studio execs that they wouldn't take any of his sh1t. He had seemingly taken absence during the filming of Apocalypse and, I guess, the studio was forced to carry through with their threats when the same stuff happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Disappointing. I wonder was filming nearly finished? Hopefully the final film will still be Singer's vision and not some hacked together studio version.

In a statement, Singer claims he asked for time off to care for a gravely ill parent, but the studio responded by firing him. He says he had every intention of returning to finish the film, which he describes as a passion project that had only 3 weeks of shooting remaining. He admits he had differences with Malek but they had been resolved.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bryan-singer-claims-fox-refused-allow-him-care-gravely-ill-parent-1064288

• Advertisement

To be fair if Singer really had been acting the maggot as recent as Apocalypse they should have never considered him in the first place.

TBH many directors are notoriously bad to work with --- David O. Russell probably being one of the best examples. And yet they still get work. Guess Singer is just burning the wrong bridges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Disappointing. I wonder was filming nearly finished? Hopefully the final film will still be Singer's vision and not some hacked together studio version.

Three weeks of shooting left.

The new director will have to finish that plus there is the reshoots and post.

No, it won't be Singer's vision because he is gone.

Apparently it's a lot worse than thought; he had been warned by a tonne of high-level studio execs that they wouldn't take any of his sh1t. He had seemingly taken absence during the filming of Apocalypse and, I guess, the studio was forced to carry through with their threats when the same stuff happened.

He apparently did it on Superman Returns too.

Does anyone know the cause?

And is there any info on what the clashes with Malek were about? Singer apparently had a major spat with Tom Holland too.

Who would get into a to do with that kid? he is ridiculously pleasant.

Er

• Advertisement

And is there any info on what the clashes with Malek were about? Singer apparently had a major spat with Tom Holland too.

I'm pretty sure that was Tom Hollander, not Tom Holland/Spider-man.

I'm pretty sure that was Tom Hollander, not Tom Holland/Spider-man.

Well that makes a lot more sense. ;)

happy that there getting a director in too finish it off cause im looking forward to seeing the movie

after seeing Queen with AL a few weeks ago in Dublin im even more pumped

I think Malek was just getting fed up with not having a director present to helm. It makes sense too -- this movie is likely Malek's big break into ultra stardom. So having an absent director would damage that massively.

What a disaster! It's nearly finished but I wonder if they'll get someone to reshoot enough of it that they can take Singer's name off? Assuming that's possible under DGA rules.

I recall it being mentioned that Lucasfilm had fired Lord & Miller from the Han Solo movie just in time to be allowed remove their director credit and give it to their replace and I think there was three months of shooting left.

So I think Bryan Singer will still get sole directing credit unless he choose to remove his name - assuming he allowed to do that.

I recall it being mentioned that Lucasfilm had fired Lord & Miller from the Han Solo movie just in time to be allowed remove their director credit and give it to their replace and I think there was three months of shooting left.

3 1/2 weeks were left when they got sacked. Ron Howard spent more time than that filming and a few actors had to leave the production/have their parts cut as they couldn't fulfil their role due to other commitments. Ron will no doubt end up having filmed the majority of the film in reshoots as a result and will have director credit.

Dexter Fletcher going to be directing the remainder of the film, interesting choice it must be said. I did like Wild Bill and Eddie the Eagle so hopefully this is his move to bigger things

Dexter Fletcher going to be directing the remainder of the film, interesting choice it must be said. I did like Wild Bill and Eddie the Eagle so hopefully this is his move to bigger things

Probably a great choice. And he has prior musical experience - I haven't seen it, but I believe Sunshine on Leith was thoroughly lovely.

3 1/2 weeks were left when they got sacked. Ron Howard spent more time than that filming and a few actors had to leave the production/have their parts cut as they couldn't fulfil their role due to other commitments. Ron will no doubt end up having filmed the majority of the film in reshoots as a result and will have director credit.

My old man memory is worse than I thought. :P 3 weeks is something that should have stuck with me.

And, I was certain that it was mentioned in several reports that that there would be I'm probably wrong there too because Empire says it isn't known who will get the credit on the Queen film either.

at least it's going to be complete

I really hope it's good as this was years in the making

hopefully a Kurt Cobain biopic follows someday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    at least it's going to be complete

I really hope it's good as this was years in the making

hopefully a Kurt Cobain biopic follows someday

Is Last Days by Gus Van Sant based on Kurt?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Last Days by Gus Van Sant based on Kurt?

Based on but not actually Kurt, yeah. I'm a massive Nirvana fan but won't even bring myself to watch that muck.

Based on but not actually Kurt, yeah. I'm a massive Nirvana fan but won't even bring myself to watch that muck.

yeah heard it wasant that great

anyone see the unofficial Morrissey biopic (England is mine) that came out this year ??? it was average and only focused on his early days pre smiths

First trailer:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

First trailer:

Looks good.. Was that Aidan Gillen i spotted?

thebull85 wrote: »
    Looks good.. Was that Aidan Gillen i spotted?

Yeah, i think he's playing one of their managers.

I've had low expectations for this but that trailer looks good! The dude playing May is uncannily like him! :eek:

Yeah, i think he's playing one of their managers.

Gotta be playing Norman Sheffield. Gillen would fit the bill perfectly. :D

Edit: Just checked, he's playing John Reid strangely enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

It's lost on me how Aidan Gillen gets work.

• Advertisement

Gotta be playing Norman Sheffield. Gillen would fit the bill perfectly. :D

Edit: Just checked, he's playing John Reid strangely enough.

John Reid meant to be a good skin? Would be nice to see Gillen play against type. :pac:

Looks promising anyway with. Either that or I wise hoodwinked by the transition of the musical numbers.

Advertisement