Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best time of year to join French Foreign Legion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

That's why I need the lessons.

Seeing as you had been using La Legion, then I fear lessons are wasted on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's why I need the lessons.

Vive le mort
    Vive le guerre
    vive la legion estrange

learn that and a couple of the legion marching songs and you will be fine. The legion do love a good singsong. If you turn up knowing all that they will probably let you carry Capitaine Danjou's wooden hand on Cameron Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Vive le mort
    Vive le guerre
    vive la legion estrange

learn that and a couple of the legion marching songs and you will be fine. The legion do love a good singsong. If you turn up knowing all that they will probably let you carry Capitaine Danjou's wooden hand on Cameron Day.

je voudrais être un légionnaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Vive le mort
    Vive le guerre
    vive la legion estrange

Ce n'est pas la Légion Estrange, c'est la Légion Étrangère!

tac foley wrote: »
    The language of the FFL IS French, no matter what your native language might be.

You will learn it quickly, either by osmosis, or, just as likely, by impact.

tac

Do you know if they allow you use phones for google translate and the like ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

source wrote: »
    Ce n'est pas la Légion Estrange, c'est la Légion Étrangère!

I knew that didnt look right.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Do you know if they allow you use phones for google translate and the like ?

Would a Mod please consider shutting this thread for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Non! C'est magnifique!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Esel wrote: »
    It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Je ne sais pas, possibly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I've already asked, and been ignored.

IMO there is no real person called by the name of the OP. It is one of those clever response programmes that responds to your comment with a slightly off-set non-sequitor. The ludicrous and inane questions are typical of this kind of programme. The programme has a lot going for it, as it has succeeded in getting a lot of people, me included, thoroughly pee'd off with the childishness displayed by the possibilities -

1. that the FFL gives a square root of SFA about whether or not you can speak French - you WILL learn it, and VERY quickly, often by impact more than osmosis.

2. that the FFL will give any regard to your leave/furlough preferences, and whether or not they might just clash with an overseas operation somewhere that is either VERY hot, or VERY cold.

3. that the FFL will not kick your sorry ass back through the main gates in double quick time if you don't shape up, in double quick time, into what the FFL wants, NOT what YOU want.

Being a programme, it will not have necessarily had access to the many intro to the FFL's movies on Youtube, most of which would have answered all of these questions.

With that in mind I'd be asking a MOD, ANY MOD, to pull the plug on this ridiculous programme.

tac

I've already asked, and been ignored.

IMO there is no real person called by the name of the OP. It is one of those clever response programmes that responds to your comment with a slightly off-set non-sequitor. The ludicrous and inane questions are typical of this kind of programme. The programme has a lot going for it, as it has succeeded in getting a lot of people, me included, thoroughly pee'd off with the childishness displayed by the possibilities -

1. that the FFL gives a square root of SFA about whether or not you can speak French - you WILL learn it, and VERY quickly, often by impact more than osmosis.

2. that the FFL will give any regard to your leave/furlough preferences, and whether or not they might just clash with an overseas operation somewhere that is either VERY hot, or VERY cold.

3. that the FFL will not kick your sorry ass back through the main gates in double quick time if you don't shape up, in double quick time, into what the FFL wants, NOT what YOU want.

Being a programme, it will not have necessarily had access to the many intro to the FFL's movies on Youtube, most of which would have answered all of these questions.

With that in mind I'd be asking a MOD, ANY MOD, to pull the plug on this ridiculous programme.

tac

When you say FFL do you mean La Legion ? Surely it is more respectful to use the correct term mon ami?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

iamtony wrote: »
    I met an Irish guy(Dubliner) a couple of years ago and he was finished his term in the legion. Really glad he did it. He was a troubled teen by the looks of him and it sorted his life out big time.
    He said he had a number and if he was ever in trouble or needed help anywhere in the world he just had to call it and they would come get him.
    Said he had to speak French or he couldn't get fed or anything. Said he is fluent now.
    He was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Awh dont lock it. Best read

Peatys wrote: »
    He was incorrect.

How so? Sure you would need french to understand the menu?

Being a programme

It's not an AI. The OP is simply a troll, but as it's in Walter Mitty it's fine. He's having a laugh, others are having a laugh at him. No one gets hurt... and the OP is in little danger of joining the FFL. It will eventually fizzle out once people don't take the OP's bait and have had enough of the juvenile "humour".

How so? Sure you would need french to understand the menu?

From the link i posted a few weeks ago..
    What does NOT matter to join the Legion
    your citizenship (if you are a Brazilian, Indian, Russian, Japanese citizen etc…) doesn’t matter
    your race origin doesn’t matter
    your religion doesn’t matter
    your knowledge / ignorance of the French language doesn’t matter
    your educational background doesn’t matter
    your qualifications doesn’t matter
    your social status doesn’t matter
    your professional status doesn’t matter
    your marriage / marital status or family status doesn’t matter
    your previous military or non-military background doesn’t matter

From the link i posted a few weeks ago..

Even for food? How do they know about allergies and preferences

Even for food? How do they know about allergies and preferences

When the preference is die or don't die, allergies and preferences tend to go out the window

From my own time in the legion, (well, not the legion as such, it was an outdoor weekend in secondary), we were out all day killing, no not killing, kayaking.

Got back to the lodge. I've always hated spag bol, but i asked for seconds that day.

Same.

When the preference is die or don't die, allergies and preferences tend to go out the window

From my own time in the legion, (well, not the legion as such, it was an outdoor weekend in secondary), we were out all day killing, no not killing, kayaking.

Got back to the lodge. I've always hated spag bol, but i asked for seconds that day.

Same.

When were you in la Legion ?

• Advertisement

When were you in la Legion ?

Easter Holidays :pac:

Think I will postpone to 2019 or 2020 anyway.

Am seriously doing this feb 2019

Ah, we had thought [hoped] that you might have gone by now...mind you, school is out, right?

tac

Ah, we had thought [hoped] that you might have gone by now...mind you, school is out, right?

tac

Is it ? How’s the junior Cert go for you? You’re repeating (again)?

Are there any good airsoft courses you can you to learn weapons types and that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Nicole?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

..... Papa?

Are there any good airsoft courses you can you to learn weapons types and that ?

And a good basic linguistic french course. Maybe 3 months should do it

Good idea, also go down to your local pool hall and pick up two pool sticks and you can learn the Krabi-Krabong martial art.

• Advertisement

Am seriously doing this feb 2019

If I thought for a second that you were real, I'd pay to come and watch you fly off to wherever it is you think that prospective legionaires go to.

tac

Advertisement