Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Hahaha . Its not my child with the allergy !!! You are a scream with your windups :D:D:D

Ok then your favourite nephew who "is like a son to me"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You could bet and you would lose.

You do realise that you are the one asking other parents to accommodate your needs, not the other way around? A little gratitude would be nice.

I don't know if they would lose tbh. It would definitely be a test case for sure.

Probably worthy of its own thread in legal discussion.

There has already been a €9,000 award paid out to a student as the school wouldn't handle the childs necessary medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ok then your favourite nephew who "is like a son to me"

His mother , who I do not know actually, has send a text to every single childs family thanking them for being so kind and empathetic and teaching the kids about the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

To all the parents who have kids with nut allergies. Have you ever been to a restaurant with your kids and if so did you lean over to the other table and ask the other diners not eat nuts.

Funny how some of the posters on this thread are the same people who then snipe at vegans on other threads.

This whole nut allergy thing is a complete nonsense.

Children do not have the same knowledge or cop on to know which products contain nuts and which don't, which might mean two schoolkids innocently sharing a snack could be catastrophic if one of them had an allergy.

Your restaurant example is irrelevant.
    Is sharing food with random children something you routinely engage in when you eat out? Its not something I've ever come across so I'm not sure why there would be an issue with a stranger two tables away ordering a nut dish.

A better example to suit your narrative would be a person with an allergy showing up to a restaurant & demanding all nut products and traces were removed from the kitchen and menu just to accommodate them.
    That would be unreasonable if it happened, but it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

A program to successfully ban nuts from schools ain't gonna happen.

I remember a school of mine tried to ban crisps, all adults behind it. Abject failure, because children are invariably going to get their hands on easily available snacks if they want.

You can certainly explain to the children what to look out for with regard an allergic attack, but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Chicks were allergic to my nuts in school.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    A better example to suit your narrative would be a person with an allergy showing up to a restaurant & demanding all nut products and traces were removed from the kitchen and menu just to accommodate them.

But this is what you're doing. Turning up at the school and demanding that nobody give their children nuts.

But this is what you're doing. Turning up at the school and demanding that nobody give their children nuts.

Yes, because children cannot be trusted or expected to know which products do or don't contain nuts, and its an unfair responsibility to put on both the child with the allergy and other children, who my share their food and unwittingly end up killing their classmate!

Parents are supervising their children in restaurants so they are responsible for ensuring their kids don't ingest anything they are allergic to.

In school there can be up to 30 kids under the supervision of one adult/teacher. The risk is too big that the child could come into contact with the thing they're allergic to...Its an unfair burden to put on the kids & the teacher.

The responsible thing to do is an outright ban to protect EVERYONE, including the children without any allergies.

To all the parents who have kids with nut allergies. Have you ever been to a restaurant with your kids and if so did you lean over to the other table and ask the other diners not eat nuts.

Funny how some of the posters on this thread are the same people who then snipe at vegans on other threads.

You show quite the level of motivated ignorance. Calling out something well documented and demonstrable as nonsense is bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Something potentially lethal is a load of nonsense? :confused:

Ok it's obvious what Tickers is up to here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

As I said, there are nuts in many foods but you can go ahead and keep calling me ignorant.

There are also not nuts in many other foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

You said you could be called ignorant so I'm going to invoke that at risk of a paddling....

You
    Are
    Ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

beejee wrote: »
    A program to successfully ban nuts from schools ain't gonna happen.

I remember a school of mine tried to ban crisps, all adults behind it. Abject failure, because children are invariably going to get their hands on easily available snacks if they want.

You can certainly explain to the children what to look out for with regard an allergic attack, but that's about it.

Crisps can banned under healthy eating policy and peanuts have been successfully banned in schools due to health and safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Of course they should be banned.

I have a cousin and two friends with nut allergies and if they are exposed to nuts they will die. On the balance between death and some kid who wants nuts for lunch, I'd say the argument is tilted quite obviously in favour of the obvious choice.

khalessi wrote: »
    Crisps can banned under healthy eating policy and peanuts have been successfully banned in schools due to health and safety.

Nuts and crips have been banned in schools just like drugs have been banned in prison.

You’re talking absolute nonsense.

Elemonator wrote: »
    Of course they should be banned.

I have a cousin and two friends with nut allergies and if they are exposed to nuts they will die. On the balance between death and some kid who wants nuts for lunch, I'd say the argument is tilted quite obviously in favour of the obvious choice.

Judging by the personal anecdotes on this thread, you be would be led to believe that half the primary school population had nut allergies.

His mother , who I do not know actually, has send a text to every single childs family thanking them for being so kind and empathetic and teaching the kids about the issue

Another example of something that never happened. How did she get all their numbers. Rubbish. .

Another example of something that never happened. How did she get all their numbers. Rubbish. .

Actually it did happen . Do not call me a liar . The class have a group whatsapp and communicate often
    Do you know something ? I don’t give a toss what you think or say . You are pathetic

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Children do not have the same knowledge or cop on to know which products contain nuts and which don't, which might mean two schoolkids innocently sharing a snack could be catastrophic if one of them had an allergy.

Your restaurant example is irrelevant.
    Is sharing food with random children something you routinely engage in when you eat out? Its not something I've ever come across so I'm not sure why there would be an issue with a stranger two tables away ordering a nut dish.

For the last twenty pages you’ve been babbling on about dangerous and airborne nut allergies and even the slightest whiff would send little previous into shock, but as long as you can go to Mount Merrion cafe all bets are off because there are adults there. So you’ve no problem putting other people out when it doesn’t impact you but as long as you can go to your favourite restaurant then it’s fine?

Actually it did happen . Do not call me a liar . The class have a group whatsapp and communicate often
    Do you know something ? I don’t give a toss what you think or say . You are pathetic

Every single child’s family? Not true.

• Advertisement

When I was growing up there were class contact details held by one parent so others could get in touch with each other re birthday invites etc. These days there are probably WhatsApp groups and/or email details shared.

You really are clutching at straws to support your ill-informed views.

Candie wrote: »
    When I was growing up there were class contact details held by one parent so others could get in touch with each other re birthday invites etc. These days there are probably WhatsApp groups and/or email details shared.

All classes in the Junior school here have a group whatsapp . They communicate things like if one child has an infectious disease or about the teachers present etc . I believe it’s quite common now to do so
    The mother of the child with allergies sent a lovely message on the group whatsapp thanking the children for looking after her son and the parents for being so vigilant in protecting him

Every single parent? Wrong.

All classes in the Junior school here have a group whatsapp . They communicate things like if one child has an infectious disease or about the teachers present etc . I believe it’s quite common now to do so
    The mother of the child with allergies sent a lovely message on the group whatsapp thanking the children for looking after her son and the parents for being so vigilant in protecting him

A text to a WhatsApp group. Where did she find the time.

Btw, not every parent uses or wants to be included in those WhatsApp groups

That's what people can do for others and is a great example to the other kids in the school who learn about putting others first and caring as a wider society, if even in just a small way. Everyone benefits in one way or another, it really is a learning experience for all the other kids. Nice that the mum was so appreciative too.

People who consider life-saving measures that constitute a very minor inconvenience in order to protect a child too much of an imposition will never change. I doubt they can.

That's what people can do for others and is a great example to the other kids in the school who learn about putting others first and caring as a wider society, if even in just a small way. Everyone benefits in one way or another, it really is a learning experience for all the other kids. Nice that the mum was so appreciative too.

People who consider life-saving measures that constitute a very minor inconvenience in order to protect a child too much of an imposition will never change. I doubt they can.

The teacher was super and used it to teach the kids empathy and solidarity . It was a great learning curve for them . The younger they learn I guess the better chance of being a considerate adult . We were so proud of the little kids in the class how they circled the wagons around to protect him !

Every single parent? Wrong.

You seem to want to believe that people can't manage these things because they have resentful attitudes like yours. Thankfully, most people are able to endure a tiny inconvenience to keep a child safe. It's not that hard to get your head around, surely?

Are @candic and @iamwhoiam just liking each other’s posts at this stage?

For the last twenty pages you’ve been babbling on about dangerous and airborne nut allergies and even the slightest whiff would send little previous into shock, but as long as you can go to Mount Merrion cafe all bets are off because there are adults there. So you’ve no problem putting other people out when it doesn’t impact you but as long as you can go to your favourite restaurant then it’s fine?

A friend has a nut free office because one of her colleagues has a severe allergy. None of her colleagues mind and everyone makes concessions because they recognize that their colleague not dying is more important than their desire for a few peanuts.
    When you have a mature, compassionate attitude, whether you are an adult or a child, wonderful things can happen.
    You might want to take note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Nuts and crips have been banned in schools just like drugs have been banned in prison.

You’re talking absolute nonsense.

Just because you dont agree doesnt make it nonsense and comparing nuts to drugs is interesting because both can kill people with a sensitivity to them, so correctly they are banned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement