Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Centre Parcs is nowhere near longford town. In fact 23 mins away by car

Finglas is the same time driving from Dundrum

Well aware of where Ballymahon is. Just that foreign tourists coming to a new multi million tourist attraction in a small rural Irish county are hardly expecting to run into Armed Support Units on the approaches into said county town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well aware of where Ballymahon is. Just that foreign tourists coming to a new multi million tourist attraction in a small rural Irish county are hardly expecting to run into Armed Support Units on the approaches into said county town.

Longford and Granard units

They won't be anywhere near Ballymahon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Longford with Armed Support Units in battle dress welcoming all those foreign tourists into Centre Parcs Longford.

Probably safer in East Belfast on the 12th than in that place.

With the greatest of respect...

what are you on about???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Longford and Granard units

They won't be anywhere near Ballymahon[/quote

Its hardly got the land mass of Texas. And unless those tourists are going to be choppered in I reckon they'll quite easily come across them.
    Btw, I welcome this heavy handed approach and I hope AGS nail them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Could be worse..
    The tourists might stop off in the local pub for a trad session and pints of Guinness and be faced with scantily clad young wans comparing their fánny flutters and pestering them for the shift.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Graham wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect...

what are you on about???
    Traveler families fighting In Longford. They had to bring in gardai armed units.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2019/0619/1056239-longford-armed-patrols/

I don't know Longford well so I don't know which roads are they on but I suspect this nonsense isn't great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Its hardly got the land mass of Texas. And unless those tourists are going to be choppered in I reckon they'll quite easily come across them.
    Btw, I welcome this heavy handed approach and I hope AGS nail them.

Athlone is closest big town to Ballymahon, also more tourist centre than Longford with some big hotels which Longford doesn't really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Can't the feuding in Longford be marketed as a package for people interested in Warzone holidays? There seems to be a growing interest in it and perhaps this crowd http://www.hinterlandtravel.com/ could be added to the Center Parcs package?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Bad news for those who are hoping this will fail.

Center parcs have reported that they have taken over 5,000 bookings and now expect that year round occupancy rate in longford will be over 90%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Athlone is closest big town to Ballymahon, also more tourist centre than Longford with some big hotels which Longford doesn't really have.

Actually it’s equidistant!
    In the middle, in the midlands!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Darc19 wrote: »

Center parcs have reported that they have taken over 5,000 bookings and now expect that year round occupancy rate in longford will be over 90%

Any link ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 The Rapture

Why would anyone want this to fail ?

Don't get that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Why would anyone want this to fail ?

Don't get that position.

A certain element hate anyone or any business to be successful and become gleeful when something fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

meeeeh wrote:
    Traveler families fighting In Longford. They had to bring in gardai armed units.

Euro Disney of course closed down after the Paris attacks.

Darc19 wrote: »

That's in line with the UK operations, I understand they typically run at 96% / 97% occupancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

5000 bookings isn't that much when you have 500 lodges

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 The Rapture

Dynamic pricing will ensure they are always busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm surprised they still haven't managed to fill all the minimum wage jobs. Last report by RTE there was still over 15 per cent vacancies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm surprised they still haven't managed to fill all the minimum wage jobs. Last report by RTE there was still over 15 per cent vacancies.

Why are you surprised - according to the politicians and media we have full employment. Why would people give up well paid jobs to work for minimum wages in Longford?

Del.Monte wrote:
    Why are you surprised - according to the politicians and media we have full employment. Why would people give up well paid jobs to work for minimum wages in Longford?

Reason I say this as I'm very familiar with Longford and the surrounding areas, it's not exactly a hotbed of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Reason I say this as I'm very familiar with Longford and the surrounding areas, it's not exactly a hotbed of employment.

I know a couple of people employed there, and the pay and perks are as good, and in some cases better than many 4 star hotels. Pension, medical, dental, staff discounts, etc.

Plus the fact that they don't open to the public for another month means that staffing requirements are urgent yet.

If I was still in the hospitality game, I'd be seriously considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

unless they force people, they've alot of 30 hour contracts spread over 5 days/unpaid breaks/pretty bad work conditions going by reviews of english set up.

Better off on dole.

I know a couple of people employed there, and the pay and perks are as good, and in some cases better than many 4 star hotels. Pension, medical, dental, staff discounts, etc.

The people you know are in senior positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Plus the fact that they don't open to the public for another month means that staffing requirements are urgent yet.

If I was still in the hospitality game, I'd be seriously considering it.
    It's minimum wage....actually even every managerial position advertised, EVERY SINGLE ONE paid less than equivalents, the health and safety position was 15 grand less than 2 similar roles advertised at the same time.

Pension is after a year (I think) and then you probably have to stay there for at least another 2 to benefit from it so 3 years there at least.

Never saw medical/dental in any of the ads.

Free use of the facility is dependent on if they couldn't sell all the slots, possible you'll never get to use it.

Discounts is probably only one there, as long as their prices aren't higher than buying similar elsewhere.....they probably will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

vargoo wrote: »
    unless they force people, they've alot of 30 hour contracts spread over 5 days/unpaid breaks/pretty bad work conditions going by reviews of english set up.

Better off on dole.

As a hospitality employee in Ireland, you are entitled to 15 minutes break after 4 hours, 30 minutes break after 6 hours 30 minutes (which may or may not include the initial 30 minutes, 11 hours rest in a 24 hr period, and 20 days holidays (plus 9 bank holidays or days in leiu) if you are full time, or 8% of hours worked if you are part time.

No way around that.

As a hospitality employee in Ireland, you are entitled to 15 minutes break after 4 hours, 30 minutes break after 6 hours 30 minutes (which may or may not include the initial 30 minutes, 11 hours rest in a 24 hr period, and 20 days holidays (plus 9 bank holidays or days in leiu) if you are full time, or 8% of hours worked if you are part time.

The above applies to all employment.
    No way around that.

You claim to have worked in hospitality...mmmm. I worked in hotels for years and I can tell you your claim of 'no way around that'is rubbish. I along with many others regularly worked in excess of legal break times and often shifts were only 8 hours apart .

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

No way around that.

https://employmentrightsireland.com/working-time-and-minimum-rest-periods-in-irish-employment/

Point (x) under the exceptions bit.

Edit: Sorry, I probably should have added context. In relation to your point about hours between shifts, many hospitality workers would be required to do 'late/earlies', i.e. finish at 23:00 and back in for 07:00 (approximately). Mostly front desk operatives in hotels.

• Advertisement

It is perhaps unsurprising you missed other parts of the report.

"We have been blown away by the response from the public," General Manager of the new Center Parcs Longford Forest resort.....

"the company has not experienced any difficulty in recruiting".....

Advertisement