Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Morrison J wrote: »
    Feel like Joyce has gone from being severely underrated to overrated overnight. I'd favour Usyk to outbox him clearly enough. The main reason Joyce beat Dubois was because Dubois had zero head movement and Joyce couldn't miss with the jab to his eye. Usyk might have the best head movement in the division so its going to be a completely different story.

A small heavyweight in Bryant Jennings won plenty of rounds and went the distance with Joyce. I don't see a reason to not pick Usyk to get the better of him.

I favor Usyk too.

But I do think he'll be made work hard for it....it will be competitive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

walshb wrote: »
    I favor Usyk too.

But I do think he'll be made work hard for it....it will be competitive...

He'll have to work hard for it I agree but I'd be very surprised if he didn't have enough to win. Too quick, too cute and has shown he has the tank to go 12 high pace rounds without an issue. He's everything Joyce wouldn't want to face really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Lads I’m not so sure about that. I think Joyce will take him. In the Jennings fight he won very widely on two cards and I think it was 115-112 on the other. He got surprised with a body shot and it took the wind out of him a bit but he was well in command in that fight.
    On the other hand I thought Usyk has looked poor enough in both HW bouts so far. Problem is that Joe has very slow hands even if they do look worse than they are. Joyce has a good tank himself and fantastic work rate. Big powerful guy too.
    On the Del Boy match yea I kinda agree. I think Chisora has improved a lot and after the top 3/4 he’s not too far below the rest. Can give them all a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Joyce surprised me against Dubois, maybe it was too much too soon for the kid or maybe I criminally underrated Big Joe. Have to agree that Usyk hasn’t been overly convincing at heavyweight from what I’ve seen, and Joe is a big boy. It’s a fight I’d be avoiding if possible if I was Usyk.

Usyk will have two key advantages here that will prove deadly against Joyce.

Speed of hands and movement

And has a great engine..

Joyce will press all night, but is too straight line predictable for Usyk...

Joe will eat a lot of leather...

• Advertisement

Usyk is also taking far too much slack for his Chisora performance. Beat him very clearly imo.

Dillian Whyte is quite lucky not to be 0-2 against Chisora realistically. Thought he lost the first fight and had him behind in the second one until he found that great KO late on.

Would Joyce beat Chisora clearer than Usyk did? Obviously very different styles but don't think so at all.

Usyk is just operating at a higher level than your Whyte, Parker, Chisora, Joyce's.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Usyk is also taking far too much slack for his Chisora performance. Beat him very clearly imo.

Dillian Whyte is quite lucky not to be 0-2 against Chisora realistically. Thought he lost the first fight and had him behind in the second one until he found that great KO late on.

Would Joyce beat Chisora clearer than Usyk did? Obviously very different styles but don't think so at all.

Usyk is just operating at a higher level than your Whyte, Parker, Chisora, Joyce's.

He still has to fight at HW against someone good...

I guess outside the top three we have eff all worth taking about

Ortiz I feel would be a great match for him, and Ruiz!

He still has to fight at HW against someone good...

I guess outside the top three we have eff all worth taking about

Ortiz I feel would be a great match for him, and Ruiz!

True enough but beating Chisora without any contention bodes well for another step up imo. When you take into account that Whyte really struggled against Chisora and has come unstuck at or around world level twice already. You'd have to fancy Usyk to be able to go a step further at least.

I'd fancy Usyk to be too cute and quick for a 42 year old Ortiz. Ruiz would be a good fight but I don't really see what Ruiz does better than Usyk. Think you need a decent combination of speed, size and power to beat Usyk and I don't think he has the size or power to cause Usyk serious issues. Would make Usyk a solid favourite personally.

Only guys I'd have any real hesitation to pick Usyk over would be the big three Joshua, Wilder, Fury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Eddie Hearn more or less confirming today that Fury Vs AJ is set for Saudi Arabia on either August 7 or 14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Eddie Hearn more or less confirming today that Fury Vs AJ is set for Saudi Arabia on either August 7 or 14

It was never on the cards but its a shame the biggest British boxing fight in history doesn't take place in Wembley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thats pathetic. Imagine a full Wembley. Post covid. One of the first big events back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats pathetic. Imagine a full Wembley. Post covid. One of the first big events back.

Who could compete with Saudi oil money in England? It was never an option, even Fury had more or less confirmed it last month.

Anyone sure wembley will be open to full capacity by August?

Yeah in fairness when the Saudi's are putting up over 100 million for the fight its hard to blame anyone for putting it on there. The fight realistically doesn't come close to happening without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Surprised there is still ambiguity about the date when it’s potentially so close.

Surprised there is still ambiguity about the date when it’s potentially so close.

Yes

I was thinking the same thing

Aug 7 or 14.....

Doesn't instill me with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes

I was thinking the same thing

Aug 7 or 14.....

Doesn't instill me with confidence

It won't be the 7th there is a UFC pay per view that day ,
    It'll be the 14th

The 14th is also the day the Premier league resumes with fans so it'll be a massive day for sport in England they will want to piggy back off that,

I’m sure Fury is doing bits of training, but jaysus he looks out of shape in Miami

Yes, never had the best shape, but he has two arses now..

I’m sure Fury is doing bits of training, but jaysus he looks out of shape in Miami

It amazes me how ghastly he looks at times. The man must just eat muck. That’s going to catch up with him sooner or later.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    It amazes me how ghastly he looks at times. The man must just eat muck. That’s going to catch up with him sooner or later.

People might think its nonsense but he actually doesn't want to lose weight,

He has said it many times and spoken about other heavyweights ,
    He reckons he needs weight on him but muscle will be more of a tax on him & its to late in life to put on muscle slim up and perform the same,
    As long as his cardio is there the weight is not a problem

IF you remember Ben Davison was really annoyed with him going into the first Wilder fight that he came in that light, They had a meal plan to make him nearly a stone heavier but Tyson didn't stick to it ,Tyson said his mind was stuck in losing weight mindset but Ben and co didn't want him to lose anymore, remember big John kept going on about him being soft like a tissue, it ultimately what cost ben the job , There's a video on youtube with Ben & James English check it out

He spoke very openly about Ruiz losing to much weight recently & how it effected his fight last week ,

Even look at some of the top MMA heavyweights DC, Derek Lewis even back to Mark Hunt as long as your cardio is good the weight is not a problem at all ,

• Advertisement

I reckon with the official news of the AJ fight just around the corner he took the last few weeks to eat what he wants before fight camp starts for real ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you must be super confident on an AJ win so :p

Thought Ruiz looked good at the lighter weight, obviously he did poorly in two of the first three rounds, but was in total control after that. If he can stay disciplined I think he could give anyone a problem on his day, he was a disgrace in the second fight against Joshua, very unfit.
    Fury just needs to be fit for this one, he's a far better boxer, I think the only way he loses is if he isn't disciplined in the build up. That's very possible too.

I reckon with the official news of the AJ fight just around the corner he took the last few weeks to eat what he wants before fight camp starts for real ,

Circa 12-13 weeks to go. He has plenty time. He’s a natural boxer/fighter.

Btw, I wasn’t implying he was overweight. Just looks out of shape..no idea his weight now. I’d imagine 270s

Although, even in shape he looks out of shape..

It’s his body type..

Fury just needs to be fit for this one, he's a far better boxer, I think the only way he loses is if he isn't disciplined in the build up. That's very possible too.

I think there is a bit more to it being fit and a better boxer..

There’s a 245 lbs man who can box and punch in the other corner.

No problem anyone thinking either man wins, but your view here is a bit too casual, simple and probably disrespectful to AJs abilities/chances.

I think there is a bit more to it being fit and a better boxer..

There’s a 245 lbs man who can box and punch in the other corner.

No problem anyone thinking either man wins, but your view here is a bit too casual, simple and probably disrespectful to AJs abilities/chances.

Just my view, think AJ is unlikely to knock him out and is very unlikely to win on points, provided Fury's head is right between now and the fight.
    I won't be supporting Fury, I'd like to see AJ win this one, but think he's an outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Circa 12-13 weeks to go. He has plenty time. He’s a natural boxer/fighter.

Btw, I wasn’t implying he was overweight. Just looks out of shape..no idea his weight now. I’d imagine 270s

Although, even in shape he looks out of shape..

It’s his body type..

I remember watching someone raise the weight issue pre fight previously and he always said that he drops a huge amount in the weeks leading up to the fight, gains it and loses it very fast.

I guess its his way to burn it in the training camp rather than keep it down the whole time.

Looking forward to the fight, Fury is a good boxer and AJ is a solid power fighter. I am on the fence on this one.

Just my view, think AJ is unlikely to knock him out and is very unlikely to win on points, provided Fury's head is right between now and the fight.
    I won't be supporting Fury, I'd like to see AJ win this one, but think he's an outsider.

Nobody should be in the least bit surprised if this is a very competitively fought and close boxing match, if it goes on round after round....

I am not getting this kind of matter of fact assertion of Fury being a better boxer and can't lose on points...

Better boxer is a very subjective term.

AJ can box. He has shown it several times

Different type of boxer........that doesn't mean any less a boxer than Fury....

Nobody should be in the least bit surprised if this is a very competitively fought and close boxing match, if it goes on round after round....

I am not getting this kind of matter of fact assertion of Fury being a better boxer and can't lose on points...

Better boxer is a very subjective term.

AJ can box. He has shown it several times

Different type of boxer........that doesn't mean any less a boxer than Fury....

When people say better boxer they usually mean if you take away power who wins and 9 times out of 10 in this case it would be Fury ,

But lucky for AJ power is a very very real part of boxing .

• Advertisement

When people say better boxer they usually mean if you take away power who wins and 9 times out of 10 in this case it would be Fury ,

But lucky for AJ power is a very very real part of boxing .

I don't mean that

Give them both steel chins and let them go 12 rds...

AJ will be very competitive....He can box very well when needed

Cleaner and more clinical and technical punches and punch delivery...

Fury has faster and more versatile feet and movement

Its a bit of this and that here....they both have abilities that will make a pure boxing match very close in my view.

AJ outboxed and landslided Parker and Ruiz in his two distance wins...

vs Wlad he out-boxed him and was ahead on 2/3 cards I believe....Wlad can box!!!

Advertisement