Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

kiers47 wrote: »
    It might be close if John was eligible but he is not.
    I still reckon Austin Gleeson would win it though. I think he is the best player in the country if he doesn't win it it will be an absolute farce, sher he only really has Ronan Maher to beat.

That's correct, forgot he's not eligible. Ronan maher has had a fantastic year also but yeah Austin will probably win it ahead of him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

There was an awful lot of hurt healed on Sunday with that win. It's been the hardest and longest 6 years to go without an All-Ireland because of how close we have got and how narrow the losses have been.
    Huge credit to the lads, they've come year on year and worked harder to finally reclaim the title. They have my utmost respect and admiration and i am delighted and proud to be a Tipp supporter

OAOB wrote: »
    There was an awful lot of hurt healed on Sunday with that win. It's been the hardest and longest 6 years to go without an All-Ireland because of how close we have got and how narrow the losses have been.
    Huge credit to the lads, they've come year on year and worked harder to finally reclaim the title. They have my utmost respect and admiration and i am delighted and proud to be a Tipp supporter

Mick has been a breath of fresh air when many including myself felt the danger was that he'd bring nothing new. Mick described how we were crying out for years to reach a certain level of intensity. I can't fathom how previous managers couldn't remedy this?! I do realise Mick was on Eamon's ticket but I feel that extra ferocity we bring today is more a reflection of Mick then Eamon. Not dismissing Eamon's role, I do think though he needed to address the work rate issue from the start and you always felt we left a bit out there in games. That extra bite could have got us over the line v Kilkenny in Nowlan in 13 who I felt were very very flat that year and also the 14 replay

Sheffln compared the work rate from 09 and 10 to 14 prior to Sundays match and the contrast was interesting. We have been miles off that level since 2010

http://www.the42.ie/michael-ryan-tipperary-galway-2915573-Aug2016/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Absolutely fantastic display from Tipp on Sunday. They were superior to Kilkenny and were awesome throughout. Did to KK what they've done to us for years. Outfought and outplayed. Driving into work last night I was replaying the match in my head. That sideline cut from Bubbles! Pure skill! I wore my blue and gold in work and got a few slagging remarks but for the most part I got crongatulations. The Galway folks are happy for us, as are most of Ireland I'd say. Let's enjoy this for as long as we can! The future is bright blue and gold!!

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic display from Tipp on Sunday. They were superior to Kilkenny and were awesome throughout. Did to KK what they've done to us for years. Outfought and outplayed. Driving into work last night I was replaying the match in my head. That sideline cut from Bubbles! Pure skill! I wore my blue and gold in work and got a few slagging remarks but for the most part I got crongatulations. The Galway folks are happy for us, as are most of Ireland I'd say. Let's enjoy this for as long as we can! The future is bright blue and gold!!

Lessons must be heeded from 2011. In fairness if Mick and the lads stick with us we have a winning formula. The likes of Noelie, Paudie, Cahill, Bonnar, Bubbles, etc are far more grounded from the last few years of hurt and will be better for that experience but the hurling landscape will be very very competitive next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Have any of ye seen the video with Joe Hayes in Croke Park on Sunday? The man is absolutely gas

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Have any of ye seen the video with Joe Hayes in Croke Park on Sunday? The man is absolutely gas

No i seen the Viking and his brother engaging in a bit of tom foolery though during the jubilee presentation :D

Mick Ryan completely missed both the 89 and 91 jubilee celebrations due to being involved with management. Shame really because it is a nice thing for players to be acknowledged 25 years on. impractical in his case though given his commitments on the day.

What time is homecoming in borrisilleagh tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I heard the pubs didn't close in Borris last night

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I heard the pubs didn't close in Borris last night

Is there any thing on there tonight so?

• Advertisement

Homecoming to borris was last night, although it'll probably carry on tonight, and for the rest of the month.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Another classic from Big John on pv.
    I think it was Ernest Hemingway who offered the advice "write about what you know". Not for the first time in my life I'm going to ignore good advice and offer my thoughts on a hurling match.

From the moment the teams arrived on the Bishops Field yesterday things seemed different. Despite this being first chance saloon for the Tipp management team, they seemed happy and relaxed as they took the pitch while Brian Cody had the face of a man who was already sitting on the loo when he discovered there was no toilet paper on the roll.

There had been a lot of comment before the game on referee Brian Gavin, a ref notorious for letting the game and himself go. Many experts believed that his appointment favoured Kilkenny. I remained unconvinced because under Mick Ryan it is Tipperary who are doing the hitting rather than waiting to be hit and if Gavin remained true to form, which in fairness I think he did, then the Offaly mans appointment wasn't going to be an issue for Tipp.

Although the opening exchanges were nervous enough they still provided a few moments of sublime skill. Bubbles point from a sideline had anyone over the age of 40 scratching their heads in awe, Seamus Kennedy added a point from out around the airport while Seamie's point after two sublime touches will live long in the memory.

The teams were level 10 times during a tense first half but Tipp went in for the Jaffa Cakes leading 14 to 12. Yet half time is a tense affair for Tipp supporters. We had out hurled the Nore men but we were only 2 points up. We have been brainwashed to believe that Kilkenny are physically and mentally stronger than us and if it remained close coming towards the end we would be in trouble despite having outplayed the Cats.

We needn't have worried.

As soon as Brian Gavin rang the bell to start the 2nd half, 15 men in Blue and Gold got their wings.

Even a Kevin Kelly goal couldn't stop this Tipp team yesterday. Over the next 15 minutes we outscore Kilkenny 2.09 to 0.02.

In the 47th minute Bubbles gave Paul Murphy the slip and logic dictated that he should take his point but as so often before, Bubbles cast logic to the wind and buried it in the bottom corner.

I have been a Noel McGrath fan for a long time now. For me, picking Tipp team without Noel McGrath would be like buying a car without a steering wheel. I have also long believed that like the praying mantis he has eyes in the back of his head. His pass to his brother John was up there with his pass to Lar in 2010 while his point in the first half is further proof that this man could hurl in a phone box.

Speaking of his brother John, he is picked at corner forward but interprets his brief liberally. He seems to pop up everywhere to good effect. I see Michael Duignan named him as his hurler of the year last night on the Sunday Game. I tend to agree with the Offaly pundit. He hadn't a bad game all year and finished the year with 6:38 in 10 league and championship games.

Dan McCormack and Bonnar Maher continue to do unpaid and unpensionable jobs for Mick Ryan. They may be uncut diamonds but they are diamonds none the less. Without the diamonds there would be no engagement.

I don't have the words to describe Seamie Callinan's performance on Sunday. One of the all time great All Ireland Final performances from a man at the very top of his game. From the 2nd minute of the game it was clear that Cody's decision to put Joey Holden on him was the worst match up since Thomasheen Sean Rua tried to match Sean Dota and Sive in the John B Keane’s play of the same name. While Holden may not be solely responsible for the death of the Kilkenny full back line, he is certainly helping with the enquires.

In our own back line, James Barry, a man who looks like a baddie in a Clint Eastwood western, continues to redefine the full back position in the same way that Donal Og and Stephen Cluxton redefined the goalkeeping positions in their respective codes. At first glance he appears to be too good a hurler to play full back but he brings guile and pace to a position normally associated with force and ignorance and possesses that wonderful ability of always looking like he knows what he is doing. He patrols his zone with the alertness of a parish priest at a 1950's ceili and is well backed up by his two curates Fr Barrett and Fr Cahill.

It wouldn’t surprise me if in years to come we hear that every time Helen Maher made her maternity dash to the hospital there was a strange star in the sky and three wise men were rushing from the East. While all the other children in Thurles were on formula milk, Paudie and Ronan were on Golden Maverick. Luckily for Helen she doesn’t have to pick a favourite son this week as one was as good as the other and both were brilliant.

Seamus Kennedy is not unknown to me and often described as a footballer come hurler. Football has been very good to Seamus and when he was cut from the hurling panel a few years ago, he was a very welcome addition to the football panel where the strength and conditioning he received has stood him in good stead. But make no mistake about it, Seamus Kennedy is a hurler first and foremost and to describe him as anything else is dipping into the Ger Loughnane box of insults. It's time Seamus started getting credit for the wonderful hurler he is.

My only complaint with Brian Gavin on the day was that he blew the final whistle. I could have happily sat and watched that exhibition of hurling for at least another hour. There is no record of William Shakespeare being a Tipp hurling fan but when Hamlet spoke of a “divinity that shapes our ends” he may well have been referring to Mick Ryan and his management team as the Gods that gave the final shape to the plans carefully laid down by Eamon O’Shea over the past few years. O’Shea’s contribution to the development of this Tipp team should not be forgotten but it is Ryan and Co who shaped our ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Another classic from Big John on pv.

"There had been a lot of comment before the game on referee Brian Gavin, a ref notorious for letting the game and himself go. Many experts believed that his appointment favoured Kilkenny. I remained unconvinced because under Mick Ryan it is Tipperary who are doing the hitting rather than waiting to be hit and if Gavin remained true to form, which in fairness I think he did, then the Offaly mans appointment wasn't going to be an issue for Tipp."

Doesn't the above viewpoint expose the hypocrisy of those supporters (from Tipp or elsewhere) who have been so critical of Brian Gavin for so long for apparently favouring Kilkenny and not applying the rules in the way that they wanted him to.

I thought he had a very good match on Sunday and I have no problem with any aspect of Tipp's display. They played brilliantly. But it just confirms my feeling of the begrudgery towards Kilkenny from a persistent minority (not accusing anyone here!!!) whereby they demand a referee to apparently penalise Kilkenny in some way but take great joy out of the opposition playing in a very similar way.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

What Tipperary player has four senior championship appearances and two AI medals?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What Tipperary player has four senior championship appearances and two AI medals?

And not even the first to bring an All Ireland medal back to the household either.

Martin567 wrote: »
    "There had been a lot of comment before the game on referee Brian Gavin, a ref notorious for letting the game and himself go. Many experts believed that his appointment favoured Kilkenny. I remained unconvinced because under Mick Ryan it is Tipperary who are doing the hitting rather than waiting to be hit and if Gavin remained true to form, which in fairness I think he did, then the Offaly mans appointment wasn't going to be an issue for Tipp."

Doesn't the above viewpoint expose the hypocrisy of those supporters (from Tipp or elsewhere) who have been so critical of Brian Gavin for so long for apparently favouring Kilkenny and not applying the rules in the way that they wanted him to.

I thought he had a very good match on Sunday and I have no problem with any aspect of Tipp's display. They played brilliantly. But it just confirms my feeling of the begrudgery towards Kilkenny from a persistent minority (not accusing anyone here!!!) whereby they demand a referee to apparently penalise Kilkenny in some way but take great joy out of the opposition playing in a very similar way.

if you read it the poster big john states that he remained unconvinced with the theory presented by Tipp fans re Gavin and that he personally wasn't of the view that Gavin would be a slight on Tipperary. His view was that Gavin lets the game flow regardless of who is playing, not just Kilkenny, so if anything, Tipps new found more robust approach might be more suited to Gavins style of refereeing. He didnt flip on his view he believes Gavin lets the game flow regardless. Wouldnt be my view tbh.

Personally i thought Gavin made one or two questionable calls for each side on Sunday and i think he is miles behind the play. I would really question the fitness thing . Should a referee that has failed 3 fitness tests get the biggest game of the year?

Kilkenny made alot of handling errors on Sunday which Gavin did penalise such as overcarrying as they seemed to panic slightly when the game was slipping from them (and this was common in 2010 too funnily). I was kind of surprised he gave so much against them if im being honest because it seemed that we couldnt buy a free from him in 2011 and the Tommy Walsh decision beggared belief that day. Tommy struck the hurley even if it didnt hit the intended target. I didnt think he was too bad in the 2014 replay though and that is a game that Tipperary lost. In fact i would consider that game a fine refereeing performance even if im not a fan of the man

But i still dont rate him as a ref. Im 50/50 about his performance last Sunday but we were so good he made no difference to the outcome really. Perhaps it played into our favour, i dunno. The fitness tests in particular is a big big question mark at this level. To be honest im not too keen on Kilkenny's friend Barry Kelly either. He can be pedantic on stupid things too. Its a tough game to referee i suppose given the speed. There is not an awful lot of new referees coming through either.

In fairness to him, I don't think the failed fitness tests thing is anything more than hearsay and almost certainly not true.

My point was that people have rightly lauded Tipp for the way they harried Kilkenny all over the field on Sunday and never gave them a second on the ball. They won the battle which is why they won the match. This is precisely what Kilkenny have done on countless occasions over the past decade and we've had to listen to lectures about spare hands and needing a 'strong' referee to clamp down, etc. Yet when another team does it to us, it's all great.

To make it extra clear, I have no complaints about Tipp. Just pointing out the double standards.

Martin567 wrote: »
    In fairness to him, I don't think the failed fitness tests thing is anything more than hearsay and almost certainly not true.

My point was that people have rightly lauded Tipp for the way they harried Kilkenny all over the field on Sunday and never gave them a second on the ball. They won the battle which is why they won the match. This is precisely what Kilkenny have done on countless occasions over the past decade and we've had to listen to lectures about spare hands and needing a 'strong' referee to clamp down, etc. Yet when another team does it to us, it's all great.

To make it extra clear, I have no complaints about Tipp. Just pointing out the double standards.

Fwiw, the two games Gavin refereed with Tipp and Kilkenny in 2011 and 2014 werent decided by the ref. Tipp just didnt show up in 11 in particular whereas 14 replay Kilkenny brought unbelievable ferocity and were well worthy of the win. I took exception to some of the things he let off in 2011 to be honest but then again im just looking at it from the biased perspective of a Tipp fan. Ive seen Gavin refereeing other Tipp fixtures than against Kilkenny and he was atrocious. its not a case of pro kilkenny but it did seem we couldnt buy a decision off him for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I see the Daddy issues are raising their head on this thread again, the glorification of one single man in charge as the Moses-like leader....(see posts on Liam and Mick). Lord save us...

I'll just leave this here:

Asked why Ryan chose to back him, Gleeson shrugged: “Maybe a bit of experience. I had my moments against Kilkenny as well – a free in the league final and that steeled me as well that I wanted to come back and prove myself and win on the big stage.

“I’d great people driving me on as well, great mentors and I can’t go without mentioning Brian Horgan there in the background all year, our maor foirne on the line but our goalkeeping coach also.

“The Galway manager Micheál Donoghue last year did great work with us as well, set a tone with the team. There’s a lot of people but the final man is Eamon O’Shea. A fantastic man. We carried him with us and Mick carried a bit of him as well along with his own stamp and we know who was with us.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/bosss-faith-inspired-tipperary-keeper-darren-gleeson-419558.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fwiw, the two games Gavin refereed with Tipp and Kilkenny in 2011 and 2014 werent decided by the ref. Tipp just didnt show up in 11 in particular whereas 14 replay Kilkenny brought unbelievable ferocity and were well worthy of the win. I took exception to some of the things he let off in 2011 to be honest but then again im just looking at it from the biased perspective of a Tipp fan. Ive seen Gavin refereeing other Tipp fixtures than against Kilkenny and he was atrocious. its not a case of pro kilkenny but it did seem we couldnt buy a decision off him for a while.

I think you're missing Martin's point gunner, he's not talking about Gavin at all. His point is that when Tipperary win an All Ireland displaying the ferocious intensity levels required to do so it's an admirable quality ...but when Kilkenny displayed those exact same qualities it was deemed (by the begrudgers) to be "dark arts", "dirty", and the ref was accused of doing nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Anyone have the frees count from Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Kilkenny frees conceded 13
    Tipp frees conceded 12

Kilkenny frees conceded 13
    Tipp frees conceded 12

So it looks like Gavin kept a fairly tight grip on a Tipp team that was on top for most of the game, and in which I can't remember the second cousin of a dirty stroke.

Not sure what game posters above were watching, but the intellectual gymnastics to make something vaguely resembling a point are impressive and entertaining nonetheless.

corwill wrote: »
    So it looks like Gavin kept a fairly tight grip on a Tipp team that was on top for most of the game, and in which I can't remember the second cousin of a dirty stroke.

Not sure what game posters above were watching, but the intellectual gymnastics to make something vaguely resembling a point are impressive and entertaining nonetheless.
    Not sure what you're getting at here tbh and I think you may have missed the point also but just to clarify I wasn't being critical of the referee's performance at all, in fact I thought he had a good game. I also thought the Tipp performance was outstanding and were obviously deserving winners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I think you're missing Martin's point gunner, he's not talking about Gavin at all. His point is that when Tipperary win an All Ireland displaying the ferocious intensity levels required to do so it's an admirable quality ...but when Kilkenny displayed those exact same qualities it was deemed (by the begrudgers) to be "dark arts", "dirty", and the ref was accused of doing nothing about it.

You have to remember that the style of play that Kilkenny exhibit is only OK when some team is 'out-Kilkenny'ing' Kilkenny

You have to remember that the style of play that Kilkenny exhibit is only OK when some team is 'out-Kilkenny'ing' Kilkenny

What dirtiness or foul play on Tipp's part do you feel went unpunished on Sunday?

What dirtiness or foul play on Tipp's part do you feel went unpunished on Sunday?
    There was no dirt or foul play on any side on Sunday, that's the whole point. Tipp played the game the way it should be played and were quite rightly applauded for it... when Kilkenny play in exactly the same way we are often criticised for it.

I'll say it again nobody is having a go at Tipp here in any way.

None! That's the point. Yet when Kilkenny have played exactly like that for years, some people have been complaining and looking for referees to clamp down.

• Advertisement

Charlie69 wrote: »
    There was no dirt or foul play on any side on Sunday, that's the whole point. Tipp played the game the way it should be played and were quite rightly applauded for it... when Kilkenny play in exactly the same way we are often criticised for it.

I'll say it again nobody is having a go at Tipp here in any way.

I don't ever recall KK being criticised for playing like Tipp did on Sunday, the cleanest encounter between the two sides in living memory, just when they were playing in a different fashion. Ergo, you have no point at all. But sure whinge away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement