Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off licence closing times - should they be restricted from selling past 10pm?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The litres-a-head figures might be the same, but most of the time, the Irish cram all that into one weekend ... or one evening.

I would also argue that any kind of data collection on this topic is going to be seriously skewed. There are (literally) hundreds of warehouses in France that sell wine exclusively to the Irish and English. Is that being counted as "recorded consumption" for the French? Similarly, when you've got gangs of students and hen/stag parties going to places like Spain, is that all being counted as Spanish consumption?

Yes, exports are brought into account. Anyway, you'd also have to account for France's large Muslim population, who drink almost nothing, and so French kafirs are even worse then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes. Just as pints drunk at Guinness storehouse... our number one tourist attraction - count here. The figures have an inherent unreliability.
    And home grown wine isnt going to count in French sales... big thing over there.

I dont think overall consumption gives full picture of who is drinking what except is it trending up or down.

The chart takes into account unrecorded consumption
    Unrecorded consumption (homebrew, moonshine, smuggled alcohol, surrogate alcohol etc.) was calculated using empirical investigations and expert judgments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's different way of drinking. You can have a glass of wine with your food and it won't be considered overly harmful or according to some studies even healthy. Or you can drown that amount once per week and your liver will have a little cry for itself.

That being said I come from one of those countries which don't binge as much but drink daily and there are plenty of alcohol related issues and not a healthy attitude to alcohol at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

goose2005 wrote: »
    The chart takes into account unrecorded consumption... Unrecorded consumption (homebrew, moonshine, smuggled alcohol, surrogate alcohol etc.) was calculated using empirical investigations and expert judgments.

The figures for unrecorded consumption are dubious at best.
    Expert judgments? Hilarious. I think the person who wrote that wikipedia page had had a few.
    The unrecorded consumption for France is 0.4, which is almost the same as Ireland. One of the lowest on the list. Given the amount of home made wine in France it's absolute fantasy figures.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Should be 24hr in this day and age and let grown adults make their choices.

It's the nanny state we live in, we won't let you drink, you can't smoke, you have to have a tv licence, rules rules every where you turn,but then the Irish just lie down and take it, i admire the French if they disagree with something they protest big time, it's a pity we could not follow their example.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

decky1 wrote: »
    It's the nanny state we live in, we won't let you drink, you can't smoke, you have to have a tv licence, rules rules every where you turn,but then the Irish just lie down and take it, i admire the French if they disagree with something they protest big time, it's a pity we could not follow their example.:mad:

Over exaggerating weakens your argument. You can drink in this country all you want, you just can’t buy alcohol in shops after/before a certain time. (Which I don’t agree with, btw). You can smoke at home and outdoors all you want, just not indoors. Hardly oppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What time can supermarkets start selling alcohol today? Want to get the shopping done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

YFlyer wrote: »
    What time can supermarkets start selling alcohol today? Want to get the shopping done.

You’ve got to laugh......underwear and socks are considered non essential and can’t be sold in supermarket but beer and wine are classed as essential and can be sold.......answer that Leo ....

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    You’ve got to laugh......underwear and socks are considered non essential and can’t be sold in supermarket but beer and wine are classed as essential and can be sold.......answer that Leo ....

I'll be doing the food shopping and be looking for a bottle of red for lunch. Considering I'm off work today.

Something to calm my nerves for the Spurs match later as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Should be 1030, but some shops have bank holiday mondays keyed in on their tills as Sundays - incorrectly.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I'll be doing the food shopping and be looking for a bottle of red for lunch. Considering I'm off work today.

Something to calm my nerves for the Spurs match later as well.

Medicinal.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

spook_cook wrote: »
    To be fair, if alcohol was taken from sale, the hospitals would be crammed with people going through withdrawal. It'd be far worse than covid has managed.

I do agree with your sentiment though that clothes etc should be available for sale.

Not at all theres plenty of cheap hand sanitiser going around , granted ,it'll rip the guts out of you .

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Medicinal.......

Ferminated grapes.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Should be 1030, but some shops have bank holiday mondays keyed in on their tills as Sundays - incorrectly.

Thanks. I'll wait for another half hour to head off. Just to be sure. Want to keep my time in the store to a minimum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

The 10 pm rule is ridiculous.

I stopped drinking, but I can't even buy a non alcoholic beer before 12:30 on a Sunday or after 10 at night, as under Irish law a bottle of absinthe is classed the same as a can containing <0.001% ABV or even a "beer" brewed with no yeast containing 0.000000000% alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

you wouldnt begrudge people who work there a rare lie in or have a decent finishing time so they can go out/have some sort of a night- when people whine at the 10pm time, how hard is it to plan and get drink earlier in the day/on a break/before their shift...

Worked both times in an offy when it was 11.30 closing and then 10 closing in a busy location and the shop would die a death from 10/10.30ish, with the exception of the emergency of running out of ciggs

Advertisement