Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    The Village appear to have shot their load, looking less credible with every tweet.

Maybe there is something more, but I get the sense they are bluffing.

"Much more to come" apparently.

https://twitter.com/BowesChay/status/1323985047343562752?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

McMurphy wrote: »

Couldn't be more plain. Anyone defending that and claiming to have the public interest is either very foolish or a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

FG flying on twitter again. They're really getting the hang of it now. Great video. I never knew how to walk or make a cup of tea before this.

https://twitter.com/FineGael/status/1323993594143846400?s=19

smurgen wrote: »
    FG flying on twitter again. They're really getting the hang of it now. Great video. I never knew how to walk or make a cup of tea before this.

Who is Dr Alan Dillon?

I thought Dr Maitiu O Tuathail was the celebrity trendy Dr for the likes of that. Did they fall out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This place turning into TWITTER CENTRAL... folk trawling Twitter for stuff and hoying it up here.

No wonder the lads from the ‘heathery hills’ get so agitated when genuine folk shine a light under the slates and expose pond life that really exists there.

Will kill the thread if these Twitter scrapes continue to take hold and engulf the thread.

Flinging mud against a wall and hoping 2% of it sticks doesn’t hold the interest for too long.

• Advertisement

This place turning into TWITTER CENTRAL... folk trawling Twitter for stuff and hoying it up here.

No wonder the lads from the ‘heathery hills’ get so agitated when genuine folk shine a light under the slates and expose pond life that really exists there.

Will kill the thread if these Twitter scrapes continue to take hold and engulf the thread.

Flinging mud against a wall and hoping 2% of it sticks doesn’t hold the interest for too long.

I’m glad that I’m not the only one sick of the Twitter links.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,045 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

First thing that generally happens in a dictatorship, shut down free speech, and media you cannot control.

In Trumpian times it gets shut down by derision and handwaving it away as a conspiracy.

The power swap doesn't like it when they can answer back. :)

I’m glad that I’m not the only one sick of the Twitter links.

Yes Mary, you are not ,and I’m sure there’s many more.

Beginning to engulf the threads now,I’m afraid.

Lazy mans way of throwing muck.

Will ruin the thread if the trend continues.

Genuine posters like yourself and meself won’t bother to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

I agree.
    Leave Twitter to Twitter.

Imagine whinging about a poster linking to Fine Gael tweets on twitter on a Fine Gael thread, you couldn't make it up.

Pretty sure there's a feedback forum where you can start a thread to discuss the merits of getting admins or mods to make a decision on posting links to twitter - or any other source of information that might contain news and information on stuff you don't like.

Falmin hell. :pac:

• Advertisement

Imagine whinging about a poster linking to Fine Gael tweets on twitter on a Fine Gael thread, you couldn't make it up.

Pretty sure there's a feedback forum where you can start a thread to discuss the merits of getting admins or mods to make a decision on posting links to twitter - or any other source of information that might contain news and information on stuff you don't like.

Falmin hell. :pac:

Here’s the funny thing Randal, and I know you’ll think this is a strange thing.

If I want to look at FG tweets en masse, I’ll go to Twitter.

Now isn’t that the strangest crack you ever heard.

Imagine that!!!

Imagine that!!!

Same here!

Imagine that!!!

Last time I checked on this site, normal posters like you or me, do not have the luxury of deciding what external websites we can or cannot link to, there is protocol in place to provide for that, it's called feedback.

However, and it needs to be said, for a poster who wants to bring up the Shinners at every given opportunity in FG or the govt related threads, the irony in you not wanting a link to the FG Twitter feed in the FG thread is completely off the wall.

And here's another tip I'll give you for free Bren, there's plenty of twitter links on a myriad of threads on this site across a myriad of forums that don't interest me.

You know what I do chief? I scroll past them.

You and your buddy's should try that some time

Last time I checked on this site, normal posters like you or me, do not have the luxury of deciding what external websites we can or cannot link to, there is protocol in place to provide for that, it's called feedback.

However, and it needs to be said, for a poster who wants to bring up the Shinners at every given opportunity in FG or the govt related threads, the irony in you not wanting a link to the FG Twitter feed in the FG thread is completely off the wall.

And here's another tip I'll give you for free Bren, there's plenty of twitter links on a myriad of threads on this site across a myriad of forums that don't interest me.

You know what I do chief? I scroll past them.

You and your buddy's should try that some time

You see Randal, again you try to twist stuff.

It’s the recent profligacy of lifted tweets here which I feel ,and I am getting support on the matter, which bothers me.

I have no problem with the odd tweet in context here and there, but I do think that hawking up tweet after tweet with little or no context is detrimental to the interest of the thread.

Now.... that’s just my opinion, nothing else.

I would’nt ,to be honest, have much interest in that kind of fcukkerry.

I’d go to Twitter if that’s what I wanted......or the Tabloids. ...but ..that’s only me.

You see Randal, again you try to twist stuff.

It’s the recent profligacy of lifted tweets here which I feel ,and I am getting support on the matter, which bothers me.

Are you? A few thanks from fellow FG supporters has as much integrity of significance on the matter as the Donegal postmans white Christmas predictions. Mod and admin support is what you need bren.
    I have no problem with the odd tweet in context here and there, but I do think that hawking up tweet after tweet with little or no context is detrimental to the interest of the thread.

Now.... that’s just my opinion, nothing else.

I would’nt ,to be honest, have much interest in that kind of fcukkerry.

I’d go to Twitter if that’s what I wanted......or the Tabloids. ...but ..that’s only me.

So you're taking it to feedback?

So you're taking it to feedback?

Twisting it again Randal.

Of course I’m not.

I’m merely expressing an opinion.

Twisting it again Randal.

Of course I’m not.

I’m merely expressing an opinion.

Opinions are like rectums Brenner, everyone has them and thinks everyone elses stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Bowie wrote: »
    Couldn't be more plain. Anyone defending that and claiming to have the public interest is either very foolish or a liar.

A timeline of what happened and why I think this is a non-story:

2015 - Paddy Cosgrave demands the then FG government to give the same public supports to his Web Summit that they are being offered elsewhere. The then FG government decline and the summit moves to Lisbon

2016 - Government attempts to strike deal with IMO for provission of GMS services but no deal is reached

2018 - Talks on deal for GMS gathers pace

2019 - April 5th, deal agreed between IMO and Government. IMO release details of the deal on their website: https://www.imo.ie/news-media/news-press-releases/2019/statement-imo-reaches-210/index.xml

2019 - April 6th, Government give press conference giving high level information on the deal

2019 - April 9th (I think) O Tuathail asks Harris for a copy of the deal. O'Tuathail says that the IMO will only share it with its own members. Says all GPs need to see it or it won't be supported. Harris says he'd look into it, but ultimately decided not to forward it to him.

2019 - April 9th - 16th, IMO give details of deal to members, as confirmed in the Dáil

2019 - April 11th - 15th, Varadkar gets a copy of the deal and sends it to O'Tuathail

2019 - April 15th, Vardakar confirms to O'Tuathail it's in the post

2019 - April 17th, O'Tuathail receives the document and shares it with the NAGP board. Claims to have Varadkar as an ally. They make a plan to review the document and get information out to their members in an attempt to undermine the IMO and gain an advantage

2019 - May 17th, Deparment of Health publish full contents of deal

2019 - May 22nd, IMO votes to accept the deal. Majority of GPs in the country subsequently sign up to the deal

2020 - March, Coronavirus starts to spread in Ireland. Matt O'Tuathail starts appearing on media discussing the pandemic.

2020 - April, Paddy Cosgrave tweets that Matt O'Tuathail is attempting trap healthcare workers attempting to whistle-blow about PPE. Also tweets about 4 nurses dying from Coronavirus and receives backlash from INMO and others

2020 - Unknown, O'Tuathail instigates libel proceedings against Cosgrave for defamation of character

2020 - August 7th, Paddy Cosgrave tweets to apogise for and retract comments he made about O'Tuathail in April

2020 - Oct 26th week of, High Court informed that the libel case between Cosgrave and O'Tuathail has been settled

2020 - unkown, Paddy Cosgrave introduces Chay Bowes to editor of Village magazine

2020 - October 31st, Village magazine publishes screenshots of text messages between Chay Bowes and O'Tuathail which are very damaging to O'Tuathail and Varadkar, two parties to who Cosgrave had a grievance

So at some point Paddy Cosgrave met Chay Bowes and discovered he had information that would be damaging to O'Tuathail, Varadkar and Fine Gael. He had a strong motive to make this information public due to his history with each.

So Varadkar decided that it was a good idea to share this document with O'Tuathail before it was made public. He claims it was in order to get the information out to the GP community in order to assist adoption of the deal. Obviousy his true motives cannot be confirmed. He's said it was a mistake and he shouldn't have done it.

What was the impact of Varadkar sharing the document with O'Tuathail? It's clear it was a break in procedure. It doesn't appear there was any commercially sensitive information in it from a government point of view, the value of the deal had already been released to the public domain. Was there a commercial advantage given to NAGP and O'Tuathail? Maybe, they could gain an advantage in that they show they can provide good information for their members that the members couldn't get on their own.

Did the document contain secrets that should not have been published as per the Secrets act? No, the full text was made public a month later when the document was finalised.

So what happened was Paddy Cosgrave saw an opportunity to land a blow on two parties he had past dissagreements with. Mission accomplished. Dis Varadkar do something wrong? Yes probably, he undermined the agreement with the IMO that they would be the sole negotiaters for the agreement. However what he did had no negative impact on the state as far as anyone has determined. The deal was ratified and signed by most GPs such that GMS services continued across the country.

All told this is maybe slightly above a non-issue. Varadkar has taken a lot of criticism for his acts. He's admitted he made a mistake. In the end though there was no harm done.

Cosgrave is probably happy with himself, but I guess his settlement will have cost him a few thousand euro.

Varadkar's reputation has taken a hit, he'll never fully recover from that. But this issue will go away and he'll carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

tobsey wrote: »

2015 - Paddy Cosgrave demands the then FG government to give the same public supports to his Web Summit that they are being offered elsewhere. The then FG government decline and the summit moves to Lisbon

2016 - Government attempts to strike deal with IMO for provission of GMS services but no deal is reached

2019 - April 5th, deal agreed between IMO and Government. IMO release details of the deal on their website: https://www.imo.ie/news-media/news-press-releases/2019/statement-imo-reaches-210/index.xml

2019 - April 6th, Government give press conference giving high level information on the deal

2019 - April 9th (I think) O Tuathail asks Harris for a copy of the deal. O'Tuathail says that the IMO will only share it with its own members. Says all GPs need to see it or it won't be supported. Harris says he'd look into it, but ultimately decided not to forward it to him.

2019 - April 9th - 16th, IMO give details of deal to members, as confirmed in the Dáil

2019 - April 11th - 15th, Varadkar gets a copy of the deal and sends it to O'Tuathail

2019 - April 17th, O'Tuathail receives the document and shares it with the NAGP board. Claims to have Varadkar as an ally. They make a plan to review the document and get information out to their members in an attempt to undermine the IMO and gain an advantage

2019 - May 17th, Deparment of Health publish full contents of deal

2019 - May 22nd, IMO votes to accept the deal. Majority of GPs in the country subsequently sign up to the deal

2020 - March, Coronavirus starts to spread in Ireland. Matt O'Tuathail starts appearing on media discussing the pandemic.

2020 - April, Paddy Cosgrave tweets that Matt O'Tuathail is attempting trap healthcare workers attempting to whistle-blow about PPE. Also tweets about 4 nurses dying from Coronavirus and receives backlash from INMO and others

2020 - Unknown, O'Tuathail instigates libel proceedings against Cosgrave for defamation of character

2020 - August 7th, Paddy Cosgrave tweets to apogise for and retract comments he made about O'Tuathail in April

2020 - Oct 26th week of, High Court informed that the libel case between Cosgrave and O'Tuathail has been settled

2020 - unkown, Paddy Cosgrave introduces Chay Bowes to editor of Village magazine

2020 - October 31st, Village magazine publishes screenshots of text messages between Chay Bowes and O'Tuathail which are very damaging to O'Tuathail and Varadkar, two parties to who Cosgrave had a grievance

So at some point Paddy Cosgrave met Chay Bowes and discovered he had information that would be damaging to O'Tuathail, Varadkar and Fine Gael. He had a strong motive to make this information public due to his history with each.

So Varadkar decided that it was a good idea to share this document with O'Tuathail before it was made public. He claims it was in order to get the information out to the GP community in order to assist adoption of the deal. Obviousy his true motives cannot be confirmed. He's said it was a mistake and he shouldn't have done it.

What was the impact of Varadkar sharing the document with O'Tuathail? It's clear it was a break in procedure. It doesn't appear there was any commercially sensitive information in it from a government point of view, the value of the deal had already been released to the public domain. Was there a commercial advantage given to NAGP and O'Tuathail? Maybe, they could gain an advantage in that they show they can provide good information for their members that the members couldn't get on their own.

Did the document contain secrets that should not have been published as per the Secrets act? No, the full text was made public a month later when the document was finalised.

So what happened was Paddy Cosgrave saw an opportunity to land a blow on two parties he had past dissagreements with. Mission accomplished. Dis Varadkar do something wrong? Yes probably, he undermined the agreement with the IMO that they would be the sole negotiaters for the agreement. However what he did had no negative impact on the state as far as anyone has determined. The deal was ratified and signed by most GPs such that GMS services continued across the country.

All told this is maybe slightly above a non-issue. Varadkar has taken a lot of criticism for his acts. He's admitted he made a mistake. In the end though there was no harm done.

Cosgrave is probably happy with himself, but I guess his settlement will have cost him a few thousand euro.

Varadkar's reputation has taken a hit, he'll never fully recover from that. But this issue will go away and he'll carry on.

His hesitation to Toibins question suggests there's more to come, McSharry on radio attacking Micky Martin for backing Varadkar suggests FF have knowledge of mot dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 67,045 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

His hesitation to Toibins question suggests there's more to come, McSharry on radio attacking Micky Martin for backing Varadkar suggests FF have knowledge of mot dirt

I think it has also marked Martin's card. (excuse the pun).

No more support if more comes out.

The revelation by himself that he deleted official records may be enough.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »

This is some social media graduate crony of someone high up in FG HQ giving social media tips to FG the selfie and tik tok party.
    They'd be better of working on their ethics and brand instead of polishing a turd.

tobsey wrote: »

2019 - May 17th, Deparment of Health publish full contents of deal.

So Varadkar decided that it was a good idea to share this document with O'Tuathail before it was made public. ...

Nobody, including LV disputes LV leaked it to his pal prior to release. This is not a 'non story'. He leaked confidential information to a pal.

This is the issue. 'Why' can't change that but can raise other issues.

Leo Varadkar said today that "he didn't know Regina Doherty was on the board of Pieta"? house?

Considering the previous govts attitude to housing and homelessness in general, i can add them to the list of charities I completely refuse to contribute to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Leo Varadkar said today that "he didn't know Regina Doherty was on the board of Pieta"? house?

Considering the previous govts attitude to housing and homelessness in general, i can add them to the list of charities I completely refuse to contribute to.

Pieta House is a charity that provides counselling and therapeutic support for people in suicidal distress and who self-harm.

Nothing to do with housing and homelessness, dude.

Might research before posting. Piety House isn’t a homeless charity. https://www.pieta.ie/

Pieta House is a charity that provides counselling and therapeutic support for people in suicidal distress and who self-harm.

Nothing to do with housing and homelessness, dude.

The fact that you can't the link between people that are homeless, and those that are in need of psychiatric help and counselling either because of being homeless, or have become homeless through their mental illnesses says it all really dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The fact that you can't the link between people that are homeless, and those that are in need of psychiatric help and counselling either because of being homeless, or have become homeless through their mental illnesses says it all really dude.

Oh dear.

Don’t worry, Dude. It’s an easy mistake to make! Awks.

Don’t worry, Dude. It’s an easy mistake to make! Awks.

What mistake do you think I made ?

• Advertisement

What mistake do you think I made ?

Trying to score points trumps debate with FG. Using the topic of suicide to do it is cool too apparently.

Advertisement