Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling to the council

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Who do you contact about selling to the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Email or ring your local housing department. They should have a website and the contact details will be there. They should send someone out quickly and a decision made immediately as to whether they want the house ir not.

The house I am selling is valued at 240 thousand, I presume the council wont go much above this price, this is a three bed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

tretorn wrote: »
    Email or ring your local housing department. They should have a website and the contact details will be there. They should send someone out quickly and a decision made immediately as to whether they want the house ir not.

The house I am selling is valued at 240 thousand, I presume the council wont go much above this price, this is a three bed house.

Is the house inside or outside Dublin?

In Dublin, thats the going rate for the area and I didnt want a long drawn out sale.

As I said I would think the council are mostly interested in houses valued under 300 thousand, they probably wont pay much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

tretorn wrote: »
    In Dublin, thats the going rate for the area and I didnt want a long drawn out sale.

As I said I would think the council are mostly interested in houses valued under 300 thousand, they probably wont pay much more than that.

How do people feel seeing that some people get free 300k worth houses while working middle-class is trying to get approvals for 200k mortgage?

It's all upside down. Council houses are better than working people can afford to buy.

• Advertisement

Council tenants do pay rent, the house isnt exactly free.

The rent is nowhere near market rate though and there is a big problem with some tenants not paying any rent at all.

There is nothing the councils can do and the tenants know this, even if the family are evicted the council have to find them a house somewhere else especially if there are children. The process to evict them will take forever and cost a lot of money and the arreears will probably never be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

zreba wrote: »
    How do people feel seeing that some people get free 300k worth houses while working middle-class is trying to get approvals for 200k mortgage?

It's all upside down. Council houses are better than working people can afford to buy.

Welcome to the land of milk and honey

Ok just wondering how soon after the council inspects ( with an engineer)the property will they go with the valuation??

Forgot to mention it's fingal

when council make the offer and you accept it - how long does it take to get the booking deposit from them to officially go sale agreed (rather then "sale agreed in prinicipal" which is where its at)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Mod Note

Ranting removed as unrelated to topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

How did this work out for the you rightmove? Did you go with the council sale in the end?

machalla wrote: »
    How did this work out for the you rightmove? Did you go with the council sale in the end?

4 months closed yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jules19

Hi, I'm just looking into selling to the council and.found this thread. I'm just curious as to how you got on with your sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jules19

rightmove wrote: »
    Mine was empty ..yes
    Hi I'm just wondering how your sale went with the council

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Just wondering has anyone had any recent experience with this. Thinking of selling my apartment in south Dublin county and would appreciate a fresh insight into it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mhdfornow

Currently selling to Cork county council through our auctioneer. Engineer and valuator has gone out to the property and it took 1&1/2 months for them to get it done. Still waiting for the senior manager’s decision to purchase, almost 2 months now since we offered the house to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mhdfornow

It’s not worth selling to the county council at all. They only offered €15k less than our asking price and the process will most likely take twice as the private sale. 👎

We’re better off renting out the house as it will generate more income in the long run.

Which city/county council was that with? Thanks for the info

Which city/county council was that with? Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 kcir345

I am thinking of selling to Dublin City Council. There are HAP tenants in the property. Has anyone gone through this process?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

My rental apartment went on the Market recently and the council came in with an offer 10% higher than the other bids.

Estate agent advised me to leave it another while as he said the council will bid again probably another 10% over that again.

Had another bid €1000 euros over the councils bid and now today council have bid 15% over that bid again.

I think im going to accept it. Its 35% over the original asking price at this point.

I dont know what the process is after accepting the bid but if i find out they normally take more than 2 months max to close then i'll pull the plug on their bid. Im not interested in the slow wheels of bureaucracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 14,044 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I accepted. I'll be glad when its gone. Even though I was making a profit on the rental it is a mugs game now and the risk is significant of it all going pear shaped. Glad to be out of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

Hi, does anyone know if council will buy with sitting hap tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's called tenant in situ . Big push on for councils to step in and buy in these situations.

Might get a bigger push post budget next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Emblematic

They do in certain circumstances. Look up the "tenant in situ scheme". This enables tenants to keep their home when the landlord is selling up.

I certain standard for the home is required however before the council will consider it for the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The councils are only doing as ordered by the government, and more specifically the minister for housing who is giving them the terms and budget to do this

Advertisement