Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with return of deposit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

....... wrote: »
    How exactly did the OP not fulfill their tenancy obligations?

Apologies I edited that to add "in a timely manner", as you were posting this.

Is this enough of an explanation or do you need further.

I see from your first post you are off the opinion that the utility account is no business of the LL's. Is this still your opinion despite evidence being given that the account is the LL's business for many reasons.

I learnt the hard way where a tenant moved in opened the account in front of me on phone on the first day with the correct reading.

A short time later he changed provider and soon after again told the utility company that they were moving out that day and gave a final reading. Utility company as was their practise, put the account in my name being the LL. Tenant received the demand letters at the address. The first I knew of it was after I got him out on rent arrears and I rang the utility to put the account in my name.

This didn't take days to fully sort out, nor weeks, but years before they utility company finally agreed that I didn't owe for that tenants usage and PSO.

NOw tell me that a utility account has nothing to do with a LL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Apologies I edited that to add "in a timely manner", as you were posting this.

Is this enough of an explanation or do you need further.

I see from your first post you are off the opinion that the utility account is no business of the LL's. Is this still your opinion despite evidence being given that the account is the LL's business for many reasons.

I learnt the hard way where a tenant moved in opened the account in front of me on phone on the first day with the correct reading.

A short time later he changed provider and soon after again told the utility company that they were moving out that day and gave a final reading. Utility company as was their practise, put the account in my name being the LL. Tenant received the demand letters at the address. The first I knew of it was after I got him out on rent arrears and I rang the utility to put the account in my name.

This didn't take days to fully sort out, nor weeks, but years before they utility company finally agreed that I didn't owe for that tenants usage and PSO.

Still not a valid reason for withholding a deposit.

amcalester wrote: »
    Still not a valid reason for withholding a deposit.

:confused: WTF

An emoji is all that post deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

its unfair for the tenant certainly.

But the Govt does nothing about these kind of issues.

:confused: WTF

An emoji is all that post deserves.

You can put whatever emoji you want, the RTB are very clear on this and unless the bill is in the landlord's name he or she is not entitled to withhold the deposit for unpaid utility bills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can put whatever emoji you want, the RTB are very clear on this and unless the bill is in the landlord's name he or she is not entitled to withhold the deposit for unpaid utility bills.

The Landlord doesn't know the bill hasn't been put into their name.

They'll only know when they get a new account for the property and no outstanding bills for the property have been transferred to it.

The process is to dispute it. Which is fair enough.

beauf wrote: »
    The Landlord doesn't know the bill hasn't been put into their name.

They'll only know when they get a new account for the property and no outstanding bills for the property have been transferred to it.

The process is to dispute it. Which is fair enough.

Then the landlord should be phoning up to put it in his name, after all he took the readings.

Unless he expects the next tenant to pay for what was used during the vacant period (however short that may be).

The debt doesn’t transfer to the landlord, the utility company might try and make it awkward but they can’t pass the debt on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Other people have responded to this.

But the LL cannot withhold deposit unless the bill was in the LLs name, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

....... wrote: »
    Good lord - have we really reached a place where tenants are expected to have to hand 2 months rent plus a deposit plus the deposit of the last place available to them in order to be able to move on in life?

Yes.

Some people need to be able to differentiate between the account which is the business of the LL (literally and figuratively) and the credit arrangement the tenant had with the UT comp.

Where did I hold the deposit in that instance? Gone in rent arrears and damages and more that time.

Where did I say I care if the tenant owes the utility company money, unless it's about to be cut off? No where.

I would (never happened) hold the deposit until the chance of re connection fees occurring are sorted before returning the deposit. It's up to the tenant at that stage if he wants to pay what he owes to the UT company, nothing to do with me.

I said in the OP's situation, his LL should only need to know that the account was closed on the correct date with the correct closing reading. They may also need to know which company the account lies with if the tenant has changed provider during the course of the tenancy.

A professional LL will normally, on walk through, with the tenant phone in these details and await some form of written confirmation from the UT company that it has taken place before they release the tenants money/ deposit.

It is neither my want nor place to entertain trolls nor try educate the educable, so to you and others of similar thinking, I'm out.

• Advertisement

Some people need to be able to differentiate between the account which is the business of the LL (literally and figuratively) and the credit arrangement the tenant had with the UT comp.

Where did I hold the deposit in that instance? Gone in rent arrears and damages and more that time.

Where did I say I care if the tenant owes the utility company money, unless it's about to be cut off? No where.

I would (never happened) hold the deposit until the chance of re connection fees occurring are sorted before returning the deposit. It's up to the tenant at that stage if he wants to pay what he owes to the UT company, nothing to do with me.

I said in the OP's situation, his LL should only need to know that the account was closed on the correct date with the correct closing reading. They may also need to know which company the account lies with if the tenant has changed provider during the course of the tenancy.

A professional LL will normally, on walk through, with the tenant phone in these details and await some form of written confirmation from the UT company that it has taken place before they release the tenants money/ deposit.

It is neither my want nor place to entertain trolls nor try educate the educable, so to you and others of similar thinking, I'm out.

It's not me that needs educating, I can read and understand the RTB/RTA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kcdiom wrote: »
    If someone could let me know please how to close this thread that would be appreciated.

Thread closed at OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement