Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck [Part 2] (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That is terrible. The guy ambushed him, I didn’t read anything about an altercation prior to the shooting.

Sounds like this other case of an Air Force Sgt. who jumped 2 cops during the protests, killing 1, turns out he was connected to the boogaloo movement.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/air-force-sergeant-linked-to-boogaloo-movement-charged-with-murder-of-federal-police-officer/

Authorities said the suspect, 32-year-old Steven Carillo, used a protest over the death of George Floyd to fatally shoot Federal Protective Services officer Dave Underwood, 53, in Oakland, California. Carillo’s suspected driver, Robert Justus, faces charges of attempted murder and aiding and abetting murder.

“We believe Carrillo and Justice had chosen this date because the planned protest in Oakland provided an opportunity for them to target multiple law enforcement personnel and avoid apprehension to the large crowds attending the demonstrations, as described in detail in the complaint,” Jack Bennett, special agent in charge of the FBI, said at a Tuesday press conference.

Authorities said Carrillo used “his own blood” to write phrases linked to the so-called “Boogaloo” movement on hijacked cars associated with the killing. U.S. Attorney David Anderson described the movement as one “used by extremists to reference a violent uprising or impending war in the United States.”

The Anti-Defamation League defined “boogaloo” in November as “extremists’ new slang term for a coming civil war,” adding the name derives from the 1984 movie “Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo.” Adherents range from white supremacists to militia groups.

Carrillo was arrested over the weekend for a separate, June 6 attack that killed police Sgt. Damon Guztwiller, 38, and injured a second deputy. Charging documents allege Carrillo shot at the deputies while throwing pipe bombs at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

https://youtu.be/5lCbyxJ8mMg

Senate hearing on police use of force.

Sen. Cornyn asking the right questions here.

this shows why decent rational people are not on either side.

And this is 30 years old

"the great thing about having enemies is that you get to pretend that everything bad in the world is because of your enemies, if it wasn't for them you'd be good-natured, rational and curious all the time. "

Cleese is great.

2u2me wrote: »

I’m not sure where you jumped on but I’m late. Guy who went on about indemnification had a lot of good thoughts. I am interested in what will get out of this subcommittee though.

His point was that police have both qualified immunity, which is special criminal prosecution protection, and indemnity, which is financial protection (the department pays fines and legal fees). His suggestion was to strip QI but leave indemnity protected.

When you think about indemnity though it’s makes the crowdfunding that some of these arrested officers are getting seem obscene, if the taxpayer was already footing the whole bill for their alleged crimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

"the great thing about having enemies is that you get to pretend that everything bad in the world is because of your enemies, if it wasn't for them you'd be good-natured, rational and curious all the time. "

Cleese is great.

this was dug out over the recent fawlty towers story about the dvd set having an episode removed , because the major made racial comments.

Cleese was outspoken saying something to the effect it was comedy and also to highlight the bigotry, and it was a way of showing how outdated and wrong the major was.

but of course internet experts decided clesse was wrong and what would cleese know about the show cleese made, somehow internet experts know everything.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    I am interested in what will get out of this subcommittee though.

His point was that police have both qualified immunity, which is special criminal prosecution protection, and indemnity, which is financial protection (the department pays fines and legal fees). His suggestion was to strip QI but leave indemnity protected.

Probably not a lot; they're talking past each other a lot. Sen. whitehouse was saying if you remove QI , indemnity might not survive at all while still recommending it.(he advocates to protect it) he was very leading in what he was saying especially to Mr Meritt.

Surely these are the questions they need to be considering and their implifications but honestly I don't see how anything like this is going to appease protestors. The more important things being said are glossed over "this is about changing culture" "It's hard to separate the systemic racism from the systemic attack on the under-class" etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

https://twitter.com/meganrabundis/status/1272712681275842560?s=21

^ the above account was tweeting videos of this whole protest, in the tweet thread

https://twitter.com/bill_maxwell_/status/1272738472277622784?s=21

They call themselves the New Mexico Civil Guard for Curry County.

Their mission: Defend citizens and their private property.

"We will not allow businesses in our community to be put through the pain we've seen nationwide," their Facebook page reads.

"The protests are necessary, we fully understand that, and to an extent the violence is necessary, but we will not allow that violence to be directed at our citizens and their property."

The group, headed up locally by painter O'Rion Petty, made itself known publicly for the first time Wednesday night on the perimeter of a "Clovis Vigil for George Floyd" gathering in Greene Acres Park.

Photos on social media show eight men, many of them heavily armed with what appear to be bullet-proof vests.

But Petty said he wants to be clear the group is here to protect peaceful people and property, not to start anything.

He said they plan to be more visible tonight when a second discussion about community racism is planned for 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Greene Acres.
    "We're not against the protesters or whatever you want to call them," said Petty, who is the group's captain. "We're not there to intimidate the protesters or anything like that. We're not with antifa. We're there because of everything that's going on (around the country) and we're not going to watch our community be destroyed, if it comes to that."

[img][/img]https://www.easternnewmexiconews.com/home/cms_data/dfault/photos/stories/id/1/1/165811/.TEMP/s_topTEMP350x700-3406.jpeg

Article posted less than two weeks ago, longer than I quoted by a lot

https://www.easternnewmexiconews.com/story/2020/06/03/news/nm-civil-guard-at-protests-to-defend-citizens-property/165811.html

Now see ^ that’s an organization. Take notes class.

Video of the whole incident. The shooter is attacked and struck with a skateboard multiple times.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=578681816407150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I gave up watching about 10/15mins after posting it here, the camera was stuck on Sen Graham while the people on video were speaking and he couldn't of looked less interested in what they were saying if he tried. Eyes going all over the place, rocking back and forth in the chair picking up putting down the pen.

Tuned in a bit ago, caught what overheal posted about above.

Video of the whole incident. The shooter is attacked and struck with a skateboard multiple times.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=578681816407150

This video shows the moment the shots are heard but the camera is 100 yards away watching pickaxe bro tear down the statue. I don’t see any assault with the skateboard. I don’t even see where he drew his gun, before retreating with it waving around at dozens of people.

Young kid playing hoops in front of his house..

https://v.redd.it/qy6pepw2aa551

A young girl with her parent/s walking through a park..

https://mobile.twitter.com/escapedmatrix/status/1271440676673277953

Those two are sad indictments of the US's militarized force that patrols neighborhoods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This video shows the moment the shots are heard but the camera is 100 yards away watching pickaxe bro tear down the statue. I don’t see any assault with the skateboard. I don’t even see where he drew his gun, before retreating with it waving around at dozens of people.

4:18 in that video.

There are other ones showing him being struck before that whilst in the initial crowd.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/nancy-pelosi-calls-out-grim-reaper-mitch-mcconnell-for-blocking-house-police-reform-bill-how-many-more-people-have-to-die/

Pelosi calls out Mitch for not advancing the George Floyd Act already passed by the house for police reform.

Clear from the senate hearings and the executive order pomp today that Trump means to pretend to steal the thunder from Democrats, even though the Senate bill, if one emerges at all, will likely mirror all the major beats of the George Floyd Act.

More protests will continue in DC.

Young kid playing hoops in front of his house..

https://v.redd.it/qy6pepw2aa551

A young girl with her parent/s walking through a park..

https://mobile.twitter.com/escapedmatrix/status/1271440676673277953

Those two are sad indictments of the US's militarized force that patrols neighborhoods.

Another way to look at it: The kid playing basketball was safer because that patrol car was watching out.

Second video: How perception > reality. The girl may have been crying, but the police officer was as nice as can be. If anything it proves that there are good police officers.

It's further in the video. He is being attacked by three people. The ones with guns there are outnumbered and seemed to be leaving.

Yet the camera runs towards a scuffle between 3 men and 1 armed man. The third man hits the armed man with a skateboard on the head that's when the armed man shoots (dead?)

Not for the feint hearted.

Another way to look at it: The kid playing basketball was safer because that patrol car was watching out.

Second video: How perception > reality. The girl may have been crying, but the police officer was as nice as can be. If anything it proves that there are good police officers.

No, the safer feeling was there before the cop car rolled down the street.

I seen this the other day, nothing else has come out about it that I've seen, the girl supposedly raises here arms up thinking she was in trouble, why? Because her skin is a different colour.
    Absolutely, Fair dues to the officer, to see girl and stop after seeing the reaction and to come and talk too her to ease the fears the girl was showing.

I don't think it takes anything away from the reaction of kids at the sight of police being near them. Its sad.

It's further in the video. He is being attacked by three people. The ones with guns there are outnumbered and seemed to be leaving.

Yet the camera runs towards a scuffle between 3 men and 1 armed man. The third man hits the armed man with a skateboard on the head that's when the armed man shoots (dead?)

In hospital, critical, but stable condition the last article I read on it.

Was the kid safer? Did he feel safer?

It breaks my heart moms have to talk to their kids about Tamir Rice.

Was the kid safer? Did he feel safer?

It breaks my heart moms have to talk to their kids about Tamir Rice.

I'm pretty sure if there was a patrol car outside of Praia De Luiz, we would all know where Madeleine McCann is now.

I have no idea of the context of that neighbourhood, but what if there was shootings/abductions/burglaries there recently, wouldn't this be a good reason to be patrolling? What if a concerned neighbour phoned the police after seeing suspicious individuals; would you expect the police not to check it out?

I'm pretty sure if there was a patrol car outside of Praia De Luiz, we would all know where Madeleine McCann is now.

I have no idea of the context of that neighbourhood, but what if there was shootings/abductions/burglaries there recently, wouldn't this be a good reason to be patrolling? What if a concerned neighbour phoned the police after seeing suspicious individuals; would you expect the police not to check it out?

.....????

Nobody ITT is saying “how dare the police patrol the neighborhood.” They’re saying look how sad it is that the police are looked at with mortal fear by American children.

.....????

Nobody ITT is saying “how dare the police patrol the neighborhood.” They’re saying look how sad it is that the police are looked at with mortal fear by American children.

That's because the media is drumming this unfair narrative into them. Look at that little girl for example, her expectation had absolutely nothing to do with reality.(how many little girls were shot last year by the police)?

• Advertisement

That's because the media is drumming this unfair narrative into them. Look at that little girl for example, her expectation had absolutely nothing to do with reality.(how many little girls were shot last year by the police)?

Alright, at the risk of going on full blown rants (plural), about how the media is drumming nothing that society is not already, that the police have enjoyed the best portrayal in the media since the beginning of our culture, and certainly far better than that of blacks or simply progressives, about how there is never perfect coverage for violence or tragedies, what do you expect coverage to look like right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

to all those in this thread who would have you believe you must be with them on their side or belong on what was referred to as the otherside.

this shows why decent rational people are not on either side.

And this is 30 years old

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=586579685568675

That was good thanks.

Google pulled ZeroHedge and the Federalist off of its Ad revenue program until they comply with removing objectionable content - idk what that means for ZH but for federalist afaik it was the comments section, where users were left unchecked to post unverified claims about the protests. Federalist disabled and removed its comments section to come back into compliance.

Google appears to understand that black lives matter, and have expressed themselves through money, a protected form of speech.

https://youtu.be/HzTET0cV_PM

This story is about an Amazon driver been arrested. It was obviously unacceptable, and the police man had the young man on the ground.
    But what got me was the real fear the witnesses had, they were begging the young man to stay still don't move. This was an arrest, but everyone was afraid that it could get much worse very easily. These seemed like nice people that level of fear of the police should not exist in a democratic country.

The woman from the DOJ getting roasted for not having figures at hand 242? cases the DOJ has handled from 17 to 19

joe40 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/HzTET0cV_PM

This story is about an Amazon driver been arrested. It was obviously unacceptable, and the police man had the young man on the ground.
    But what got me was the real fear the witnesses had, they were begging the young man to stay still don't move. This was an arrest, but everyone was afraid that it could get much worse very easily. These seemed like nice people that level of fear of the police should not exist in a democratic country.

And this was over a parking infraction. He parked parallel in the wrong direction, the cop escalated force when the driver didn’t immediately drop what he was doing to produce his license. The motorcycle cop chose to drive across the sidewalk and the lawn, rather than around the truck and up the driveway, a ridiculous overreaction from the start for parking related issues.

And this was over a parking infraction. He parked parallel in the wrong direction, the cop escalated force when the driver didn’t immediately drop what he was doing to produce his license. The motorcycle cop chose to drive across the sidewalk and the lawn, rather than around the truck and up the driveway, a ridiculous overreaction from the start for parking related issues.

Yeah it may not be in the video I posted but another report had one of the neighbors saying they were pleading with the man to say nothing, do not move. They were genuinely scared.
    That was the bit that struck me more than the heavy handed arrest.

joe40 wrote: »
    Yeah it may not be in the video I posted but another report had one of the neighbors saying they were pleading with the man to say nothing, do not move. They were genuinely scared.
    That was the bit that struck me more than the heavy handed arrest.
    They’re inseparable. The heavy handed presence of the cop from the instant he initiated the scene puts the neighbors in the mindset. The guys on LivePD for instance would approach that kind of situation by parking their own car and starting with pleasantries, not hurrying over the landscape as if lives were at stake if this parking violation wasn’t rectified ten minutes ago. But once it got physical the neighbors fear was inevitable they knew it was bs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Shorter version of the video followed by a video of the leadup. Whatever happened up until then, he was clearly leaving as seen here. https://twitter.com/MdKnightBabe/status/1273046298363490304
    He was chased down by people yelling they would kill him, beaten to the ground, when he got up, he was hit by the skateboard, at which point he finally produced his firearm and shot one of his attackers who was apparently holding a knife.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EarjRIbWsAA4eQy?format=jpg&name=small

There's not a jury in New Mexico which would convict him of homicide, I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

There's not a jury in New Mexico which would convict him of homicide, I would think.

Seems a pretty clear cut case of self defence. He was trying to get away and they pursued, screaming that they were going to kill him. I feel bad for the guy who pulled the trigger to be honest, any clue what led up to this ? Why were they chasing him ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement