Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

do you always hit a string of greens in that scenario, or are you portraying a very rare situation as if it's normal?

In that part of town, maintaining 50kph at a calm enough time (5pm weekday driving conditions these days are much like a weekend afternoon in normal times) yes, I'd say I normally cruise over that distance with little to no reds.
    i.e. are you saying you're used to driving around the city at a constant speed of 50km/h? if not, the situation above is a freak situation and hardly applies in general.

In non rush hour traffic, yes, I'd maintain 50 for the bulk of my travel I would say.

Unless some of you speed Nazis are infront of me of course.

And I need to reduce the speed once a cyclist with a death wish is spotted ahead. As when he pulls out without bothering to glance backwards because he was using his phone to switch podcasts on his Beats, I'll be the one who will cop the bother if there's an impact.

This is a serious question for the bike lads who actually also drive. How often have you ever seen a cyclist glance behind them before pulling out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If by penalised you mean, should drivers have to lose a maximum of 3 minutes to travel up the malahide road in order to limit the chance of someone dying I would say that that seems like a reasonable trade off.

I would find this restriction incredibly irritating while driving home no doubt. But there isn't a great cogent argument against it outside of it being irritating.

How is it possibly three minutes when you take into account the amount of reds you will hit?

Simple test. Drive on one of the proposed routes art 30km and note down how many reds you hit that you would have missed at 50.

All this bollocks about mental health these days and the DCC wants us to spend potentially years longer in traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How is it possibly three minutes when you take into account the amount of reds you will hit?

Simple test. Drive on one of the proposed routes art 30km and note down how many reds you hit that you would have missed at 50.

All this bollocks about mental health these days and the DCC wants us to spend potentially years longer in traffic.

The lighting systems will be changed to accommodate a 30kph speed so that's irrelevant.

You spend time in traffic because of traffic, not because of speed limits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In that part of town, maintaining 50kph at a calm enough time (5pm weekday driving conditions these days are much like a weekend afternoon in normal times) yes, I'd say I normally cruise over that distance with little to no reds.

In non rush hour traffic, yes, I'd maintain 50 for the bulk of my travel I would say.
    hang on - what about the people who have hit the reds in front of you, so aer doing less than 50km/h? you say you're maintaining it for minutes on end, so do you quantum tunnel through them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Genuine question,

Would someone rather take their chances as a pedestrian against a car driving 30kph or a Bicycle doing 30kph?
    Car driver might slow before hitting, how much speed would a cyclist be able to or want to lose if you stepped in front of one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

simple test. drive at 50km/h and hit a red. you're waiting there maybe 15s. if you'd driven at 30km/h, you'd have hit it when it was green and made the exact same progress. you're cherry picking your anecdotes.

if a light is red say 70% of the time, your chances of it being red when you arrive (assuming no other traffic) is 70%. assuming other traffic increases the chances of you getting stopped at it on a red cycle.

Car driver might slow before hitting, how much speed would a cyclist be able to or want to lose if you stepped in front of one?
    'want to'? here's a funny thing about the difference between driving a car into a pedestrian at 30km/h, and riding into a pedestrian on a bike on 30km/h.

it's going to hurt the cyclist a *hell* of a lot more than the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

15 pages of usual boards nonsense.

@double jobbing - Did a cyclist once break your heart? touched you inappropriately? I'm getting the impression you really don't like them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

OP is a joke account I presume.
    I did enjoy this gem though

‘Do these people realise that with people glancing at the speedometer more often they are far more likely to have a collision? ‘

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The lighting systems will be changed to accommodate a 30kph speed so that's irrelevant.

If they would fix the traffic lights for the current situation it would help a bit as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Now, in a wholly statistical rarity it was a gang of teenage local howiyas, when to be fair this sort of craic is usually the persuit of either the lycra clad Green voter from Donnybrook or the Spanish Facebook worker (although for bonus points the Spaniard is usually staring at his phone while blocking out the wider world with Beats type earphones)

Either way why should responsible drivers be penalised to save the lives of morons?

Now we know you're waffling.

No self respecting member of the lycra clad cycling deep state would allow anyone to sit on their cross bars.

That's an activity purely reserved for when they're all wearing baggies and have their stunt pegs on their Burners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Certainly the idea of people going at 35kph being put in a position where they see a distant speed van and jam the breaks seems like a recipe for a pile up.

How in the name of christ would a line of cars drivingat 35kmph hitting the brakes to get down to 30kmph result in a pile up? Why isn't there pile ups at rush hour every day as people hit brakes when they see a red light in front of them, or when a pedestrian runs across the road.
    And how would it be any different to someone seeing a speed van while at 55kmph or 105kmph be any different?

Even if there was, you'd have a bunch of cars hitting each others bumpers so the damage would be minimal in the absolute worst case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

It might seem like people prefer to sit in a car because they still dominate the road space, but in fact as of 2017, only 30% of people crossing the canal into town at rush hour travel by car. 50% by bus. 18% active transport. And the trend it recent years for car use is going down.

Reference: NTA Canal Cordon Report 2017

Car usage is being driven down by Dublin City Council and the parade of supporters here. That is nothing to do with what people actually prefer. Know what I prefer. Anyone who can afford to drives - or walks in fairness. Bicycles and buses are the second rate second choice. Original question asked was why anyone would sit in a car travelling at walking pace. The answer is because they can.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Anyone who can afford to drives
    true, lots of people are able to earn lots of money but not understand the sunk cost fallacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Seems completely draconian. Are there any stats that show an uptick in pedestrian or cycling accidents since February?

It could be argued that with less cars on the road, visibility of bikes and people is better.

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Seems completely draconian. Are there any stats that show an uptick in pedestrian or cycling accidents since February?

It could be argued that with less cars on the road, visibility of bikes and people is better.
    a doubling of pedestrian fatalities to the end of april, compared to last year.
    one factor is that with fewer cars on the road, the average speed of cars appears to have increased.

https://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2020/Concern-over-speeding-drivers-as-number-of-pedestrian-deaths-doubles-in-2020-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How is a speed limit going to stop covid?

I mean it could mean people are stuck on bus with others longer??

How is a speed limit going to stop covid?
    who claimed it was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tjhook

These things are cyclical (!)

For years the Mad Max drivers had their way.

Now the Cycling Taliban are enforcing their dogma.

In another few years, electric self-driving cars will be common and safe, and we'll be cracking down on these dangerous cyclists who bring chaos to an otherwise ordered automated system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One major factor for the extra deaths is really down to the amount out walking that have never before or nowhere near as much.

I've never seen so many walkers, runners or cyclists in my life and as a bus driver I'm not surprised that deaths have increased but also surprised it's not higher....

Another big thing is big families with all the kids and them letting extremely young ones out on the road, this imo is a disaster waiting to happen as they are weaving and unsteady.... Of course extra room is given but of course not by all.

People seriously need to take personal responsibility and take a look at their own actions.

The amount of people I've come very close to killing over the past few months has been unreal compared to normal as it were before.

Funny thing is with less traffic, no traffic jams I seen more and more stressed out drivers or just absolute numpties driving dangerous just because they could.

The only Gardai I see now are those doing speed checks and haven't seen a checkpoint I'm around 2 weeks or so....

• Advertisement

tjhook wrote: »
    Now the Cycling Taliban are enforcing their dogma.
    keep it up, this is great to read.

keep it up, this is great to read.

Thanks, I will.

The amount of people I've come very close to killing over the past few months has been unreal compared to normal as it were before.

Did you just injure them instead, or in fact did something simply not happen? You said yourself that you see kids out on bikes, and are aware that they don't exactly take a dead ahead heading, so I'm also sure you give them a wide berth when driving by them. Unless they took a dramatic swerve right as you were going by them, I imagine you're using creative licence when you claim to close to killing some amount of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

these dangerous cyclists who bring chaos

can you expand on this? what danger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hurrache wrote: »
    I imagine you're using creative licence when you claim to close to killing some amount of people.
    As a bus driver I would hope so. If "coming close to killing someone" is a common occurrence, it casts serious doubt on the individual's competence.

can you expand on this? what danger?

I think you're taking the post a bit too literally. Every group seems to think every other group is a danger. The only thing that changes is which group is in the ascendancy, and thus on their high horse. It used to be drivers, now it's cyclists. I'm imagining a time when the pendulum swings again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think you're taking the post a bit too literally. Every group seems to think every other group is a danger. The only thing that changes is which group is in the ascendancy, and thus on their high horse. It used to be drivers, now it's cyclists. I'm imagining a time when the pendulum swings again.
    So you're saying that the cyclists that you described as dangerous are not in fact dangerous?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Thats how slow we have to drive through school zones here , which consist of a few hundred feet at certain times of the day only. Cant imagine having to go that slow on normal roads and for extended periods. Youd be constantly looking at the speedometer to check you werent going too fast.

No you wont. 30kph is easy to keep to. The problem is others who dont.

Personally I dont mind it, since the speed limit is justified. I dont feel it is however. Protecting pedestrians? We are all pedestrians when out of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Average speeds may increase ironically.

I think someone asked what difference it would make
    EZmfM4LWAAQX2_O?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think someone asked what difference it would make
    EZmfM4LWAAQX2_O?format=jpg&name=large

It's not something that happens and is more likely to with lower speed limits becuase we've told people they dont have to be responsible when walking about.

we've told people they dont have to be responsible when walking about.

Thanks, something less to worry about.

Thanks, something less to worry about.

The sections with lower speed limits in the city, tend to be the areas where people just stroll onto the road without looking around first.

If you want to protect pedestrians, remind them they are also road users first.

So you're saying that the cyclists that you described as dangerous are not in fact dangerous?

I'm saying the cyclists would claim not to be, whereas some others would say they are (as seen in this thread).

Oddly enough, no driver has gotten their knickers in a twist over my suggestion that drivers can be seen as having "Mad Max" tendencies. I wonder if they will. Or maybe cyclists and drivers really are different breeds.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's not something that happens and is more likely to with lower speed limits becuase we've told people they dont have to be responsible when walking about.
    Where have you ever heard that apart from a conversation you overheard down the pub?

Oh for all of you who think less cars in the city and more restrictions is destroying commerce in the city centre, here's yet another example on how less cars = better business

https://twitter.com/GeogheganCllr/status/1268199570430967812

Where have you ever heard that apart from a conversation you overheard down the pub?

Its what I see when driving. The lower speed limit sections in the city have more people coming out onto the roads without looking. The sections with 50kph, people generally always look before they step onto the road. Their behaviour has changed in because they think it's safer in those environments. We've encouraged carelessness by proxy.

ehm... why did you ask about conversations overheard in a pub?

Its what I see when driving. The lower speed limit sections in the city have more people coming out onto the roads without looking. The sections with 50kph, people generally always look before they step onto the road. Their behaviour has changed in because they think it's safer in those environments. We've encouraged carelessness by proxy.

ehm... why did you ask about conversations overheard in a pub?

I guess people need to be more alert to pedestrians in that case.

I guess people need to be more alert to pedestrians in that case.

Then why stop at 30? why not go lower? If we are to protect them. Are some people too sensitive to be told how to use the road correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Then why stop at 30? why not go lower? If we are to protect them. Are some people too sensitive to be told how to use the road correctly?

This whole thread was started by someone being oversensitive about being told how to use the road correctly.

Well yes why stop at 30, we should be aiming at having less and less cars on the road, then speed limits wouldn't be an issue, especially in areas where there are lots of cyclists and pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Let me clarify in the comments I made, as a bus driver we have a particular set of skills.... This is reading the road ahead, beside and behind....

In near 80% of the time we know when the person is going to step out, run out or can see the cyclist will change direction before they even decided to.

What's happening more over this unforseen pandemic is the amount now that don't look and give no pre warning they are going to do stupid things.

And for the stupid comments made towards me, yes of course I can see the kids and know they are wobbly and could swerve so won't pass until I can give much more room then usual if that makes sense to you.

It's serious out there and one thing I've noticed with the 30km/h speed limits is more pedestrian and cyclists take bigger risks and will just walk out or cycle across in front.

Stark wrote: »
    This whole thread was started by someone being oversensitive about being told how to use the road correctly.

Well their problem is of their own making really. I can see where some areas will justify the limit. And ideologically have no issues with it. But I can't agree to just pushing the narrative that a driver has the ultimate duty of care. And if the purpose of this is to protect pedestrians, what's being done for me when I'm a pedestrian?

Well yes why stop at 30, we should be aiming at having less and less cars on the road, then speed limits wouldn't be an issue, especially in areas where there are lots of cyclists and pedestrians.

I don't agree with that either. Cars for the most part seem to be the viable option, take away the viable option and you are limiting people. Take away on street parking. Use the extra space for Public transport, cycleways, footpaths.

It's serious out there and one thing I've noticed with the 30km/h speed limits is more pedestrian and cyclists take bigger risks and will just walk out or cycle across in front.

And I'm pretty sure I haven't gone to the same pub as this guy!

In near 80% of the time we ... can see the cyclist will change direction before they even decided to.
    you're in the wrong job, you should be a professional lotto player.

• Advertisement

you're in the wrong job, you should be a professional lotto player.

Well if his game is reading people, surely it'll be poker?

to be fair, you do get a sixth sense - be it driving or cycling - about the behaviour of other drivers, cyclists, or peds. more a 'i'll keep a close eye on this one' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well their problem is of their own making really. I can see where some areas will justify the limit. And ideologically have no issues with it. But I can't agree to just pushing the narrative that a driver has the ultimate duty of care. And if the purpose of this is to protect pedestrians, what's being done for me when I'm a pedestrian?

Are pedestrians who also drive a special class of pedestrian or something? You get the ability to step out on the road to give more space to other pedestrians on crowded narrow footpaths without getting mowed down. Ideally the footpaths should be widened to give space to pedestrians, but making the road safer is a good interim step.

Their behaviour has changed in because they think it's safer in those environments

But it is.

Stark wrote: »
    Are pedestrians who also drive a special class of pedestrian or something? You get the ability to step out on the road to give more space to other pedestrians on crowded narrow footpaths without getting mowed down. Ideally the footpaths should be widened to give space to pedestrians, but making the road safer is a good interim step.

The thing I wanted to get across is we are all pedestrians. But no activities seem to be in place for pedestrians. It's all focused on drivers. The cheapest and easiest thing to do is change the sign from 50 to 30. Paint 30 on a few spots on the road.

No review of pedestrian crossings and timings on any that have traffic lights for them. No surveying of where people typically step out to assess if a crossing is better suited there.

Too much work.
    But it is.

Only a fool would ever think a road is safe enough to step onto without looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement