Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Idiotic idea as It’s for nothing but revenue generation. I saw the speed van for the last month outside Terenure Garda Station in the 50km/h zone to get people used to it being there and the 50km/h zone will shortly change to 30km/h with most people not having a clue about it and they’ll be able to give penalty points to thousands before they realise.

I’m all for 30km limit at appropriate times (7am-10am and 4pm-7pm) inside the boundary of the two canals but outside of those hours and city limits it should be at least 50km/h or whatever was deemed appropriate by Dublin City Council before Owen Keegan decided to shut the city down and allow for cyclists and public transport only.

It’s scandalous that they are using Covid-19 to do what Mr Keegan has pioneered for many years and he’s taking every opportunity to bring in permanent changes under the guise of temporary measures without consultation, which is disgraceful. He’ll try to get the Keegan Plaza outside Trinity too which was voted against by the general public by making it a cafe and restaurant hub for social distancing reasons.

Make sure you keep an eye on the DCC Consultation portal and have your say on it when the time comes, it will be up and down in no time as with most of the consultations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What are all these cvt vehicles without cruise control?

Ignoring that, the CV part of the transmission would infer that it is perfectly able to hold any speed.

Even an old manual Volvo will do cruise control at 30 giving you ample brain power to watch the road and hover over the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Not really. Ive no problem maintaing a constant speed in a normal speed zone but its an effort to maintain such a low speed. I drive an automatic and any pressure on the accelerator for more than 2 seconds would have it going faster than that. Very easy to unintentionally go faster, hence the need to monitor it.

I'd say the reason you can maintain 50/60 no problem is because you've had to do it so frequently.

Bar an estate or past a school, you never usually go at 30 for more than a few 100 metres.

You'd get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Idiotic idea as It’s for nothing but revenue generation. I saw the speed van for the last month outside Terenure Garda Station in the 50km/h zone to get people used to it being there and the 50km/h zone will shortly change to 30km with most people not having a clue about it and they’ll be able to give penalty points to thousands before they realise.

I’m all for 30km limit at appropriate times (7am-10am and 4pm-7pm) inside the boundary of the two canals but outside of those hours and city limits it should be at least 50km/h or whatever was deemed appropriate by Dublin City Council before Owen Keegan decided to shut the city down and allow for cyclists and public transport only.

It’s scandalous that they are using Covid-19 to do what Mr Keegan has pioneered for many years and he’s taking every opportunity to bring in permanent changes under the guise of temporary measures without consultation, which is disgraceful. He’ll try to get the Keegan Plaza outside Trinity too which was voted against by the general public by making it a cafe and restaurant hub for social distancing reasons.

Make sure you keep an eye on the DCC Consultation portal and have your say on it when the time comes, it will be up and down in no time as with most of the consultations.

Fully agree about Keegan - using Covid as an excuse to effectivly criipple driving (and I'm mainly a cyclist) , and implement his Dracoian authority as he did in Dun Laoghaire - he's a nasty piece of work , a Bully and some one needs to stand up to him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thebaz wrote: »
    Fully agree about Keegan - using Covid as an excuse to effectivly criipple driving (and I'm mainly a cyclist) , and implement his Dracoian authority as he did in Dun Laoghaire - he's a nasty piece of work , a Bully and some one needs to stand up to him.
    Aah the old "he wrecked Dun Laoghaire" nonsense rears its incorrect head!

• Advertisement

Ask most people on the main street was he good for Dun Laoghaire so !!!
    Most I know were glad to see the back of him - cars are a part of modern life - and Keegan has an anti car agenda - Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I actually can't believe what I'm reading. The article mentions dropping the N11 from 60 to 50km when it should be 100km as it stands. How in the **** has this got beyond the planning stage? Surely the council will vote it down before it even goes to public consultation?

Is Dun Laoghaire -Rathdown involved, there isn't any of the N11 in Dublin any more? Do you mean the road outside RTÉ.

There is a sordid agenda here to use Covid against most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I can hit over 30kph on my push bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gardai are out in force doing speed checks everywhere especially now with their new toys.

They are on roads where speed limit drops especially off motorway.

Greens will have is all on push bikes

Ask most people on the main street was he good for Dun Laoghaire so !!!
    Most I know were glad to see the back of him - cars are a part of modern life - and Keegan has an anti car agenda - Fact
    What killed Dun Laoghaire was it's shape (long and straight) with an old and crap shopping centre that had no ability to match the likes of Dundrum.
    But don't let facts get in the way of your agenda now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gardai are out in force doing speed checks everywhere especially now with their new toys.

They are on roads where speed limit drops especially off motorway.

The greens have no power yet you think they're behind all this? Jesus is the motoring lobby educated by Facebook these days?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

To think the law is being brought in for the benefit of cyclists. The biggest bunch of rulebreaking ignorant no test no taxed ****ers on the road.

The over 200,000 individuals with points on their licence would tell you who who he biggest bunch of rulebreakers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The greens have no power yet you think they're behind all this? Jesus is the motoring lobby educated by Facebook these days?

Honest they never left and have their hooks in....

I don't bother with Facebook.

Sick of the attack against the motorist all the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Del2005 wrote: »
    Have you tried to maintain a speed of 30km/h? I can maintain 50 and 60 fairly well but 30 is a struggle as my car doesn't have gears, it's a CVT box, so I can get faster than that on idle.
    You bought a car that struggles to maintain 30? Have you brought it back for a refund yet?
    Insert 'they must have had big windows in the place you bought it' joke. How do you cope with heavy traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Hopefully, but only if they make the roads safe enough for cycling. Which means improving cycling and public transport infrastructure and keeping as many private cars off the road as possible.

Honest they never left and have their hooks in....
    Where?
    What hooks?
    Christ almighty! :rolleyes:
    Sick of the attack against the motorist all the time
    There is actually no attack. It's simply decades of bad planning and transport deign being corrected to include all road users and not just people in cars. Motorists need to accept that the world doesn't revolve around them.
    Nobody is trying to stop people driving. They're just trying to stop the preferential treatment that the most inefficient mode of transport within a city has been given.

I'd also like to point out that in nearly 50 posts in this thread, nobody has put forward a credible reason to retain the current speed limits!
    Says quite a bit, to be honest!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Then again what's the point in having a licence if the joy of driving has been taken off us?
    You need a new hobby if you describe driving up the malahide road as a joy.

What killed Dun Laoghaire was it's shape (long and straight) with an old and crap shopping centre that had no ability to match the likes of Dundrum.
    But don't let facts get in the way of your agenda now :rolleyes:

Yeah its straight long main street killed Dun Laoghaire - What a load of nonsense -
    but you are right, cause Moderators on boards are always right .

I'd also like to point out that in nearly 50 posts in this thread, nobody has put forward a credible reason to retain the current speed limits!

Hang on, are you trying to tell us that "I don't know how to drive my own car" is not a credible reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Here we go again as Keegan continues his deluded war on the people of Dublin, If it moves; stop it. If it stops; clamp it. The usual Green Party cycling loons will be along any minute to cheer him on

• Advertisement

The notion than restricting cars to 30km/h will nearly double commute times is laughable. I'll let you in on a secret - the time you spend stuck at lights or staring at the back of another stationary car, has *far* more impact on your journey time than the fraction of time you spend at 50km/h in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

It's bs anyway and will largely be ignored as is the city centre 30 limit.

Keep an eye out for extra speed cops in the first few weeks then it will be business as usual with the odd go safe can here and there.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Here we go again as Keegan continues his deluded war on the people of Dublin, If it moves; stop it. If it stops; clamp it. The usual Green Party cycling loons will be along any minute to cheer him on

Do all the green party need to be cycling loons? Or are all cyclists loons? Or all cyclists green party loons?

I find the division of people based on mode of transport hilarious (as someone who cycles AND drives big cars).

I would say everyone should calm the fu(k down, but it's more entertaining this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Talk to anyone who had (and I mean "had") a business in Dun Laoghaire. Keegan shut the place down with a war on cars (ie customers). He is a malicious person with only one agendas to "get" car owners. You will never hear him propose any alternative - except his limp fantasy of everyone cycling everywhere. Enjoy the Winter.

and no one has given me a valid reason for introducing a blanket 30 kmp speed limit - police what we have correctly and help eradicate bad driving (fast and slow)- but bringing this in under the Covid excuse , on a day when we had 10 new cases , and should actually be reviewing how to saefly utilise DART, LUAS and buses services from becoming major virus spreaders , but delude yourself into believing that mandatory 30 kmh speed limit will help clear the virus.

PS I'm a cyclist too !!

You know, it's possible for both the 30km/h limit to be sensible, *and* for Keegan to be a tool, at the same time.

stevek93 wrote: »
    I can hit over 30kph on my push bike...

Thankfully it won't apply to bikes.. but actually it's often a pain being stuck behind slow moving traffic and if this isn't actually brought in and policed it will be a bigger annoyance.

delude yourself into believing that mandatory 30 kmh speed limit will help clear the virus.
    Do you think this is being brought in to slow the spread of the virus? Seriously? It's being brought in because the virus gave them breathing room to do it. That argument you mention is either an appalling straw man.... Or you believed it.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Talk to anyone who had (and I mean "had") a business in Dun Laoghaire. Keegan shut the place down with a war on cars (ie customers). He is a malicious person with only one agendas to "get" car owners. You will never hear him propose any alternative - except his limp fantasy of everyone cycling everywhere. Enjoy the Winter.

Look at Bray, a few miles down the road from Dún Laoghaire, where you're free to drive and park pretty much wherever the hell you want. The exact same thing happened there. The decline of both towns accelerated around the same time - when the M50 was extended and alternatives like Dundrum opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

kenmm wrote: »
    Thankfully it won't apply to bikes.. but actually it's often a pain being stuck behind slow moving traffic and if this isn't actually brought in and policed it will be a bigger annoyance.

So for example you are driving at 30kph and have cyclists swooping past you how will that make a driver feel :D

Advertisement