Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone with the Wind Cancelled

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

joe40 wrote: »
    The problem is defining exactly what constitutes hate speech.

and the bigger problem is how our government would decide that is by forming a quango and filling it with people with experience working in quangos, those people tend to be of a political and moral bias against hearing hard truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Biker79 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a time in human history when so many useless people gained so much influence? In the 90's/00s..crusties and hippies were often jeered but they were harmless. People didn't pay much attention to them. It was as much a passing phase as being into punk/ metal..etc..

" If you're not a leftie in your twenties, you have no heart. If you're a leftie in your 40s you have no brain ( or work for a media company that needs to signal virtue to keep advertisers happy ) "

A poignant story out of the US - An Antifa/ BLM protestor got nabbed by the FBI for throwing a molotov cocktail at a police car.

What struck me from the article was how pretty this person was in her (presumably ) mid-twenties. Then, disaster strikes...she gets caught up in a militant left cult. At the age of 33 she is barely recognizable...very overweight, crude tattoos,..hair unkempt. What happened to her?

Actually quite sad to see because it represents so many of those protestors. Their issues are more personal than external and they cant see it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11896821/lore-elisabeth-blumenthal-floyd-george-cops-car-fire/

People like her are so low IQ. She's a working woman that presumably pays taxes. Does she not realise the bill for setting police cars is going to be footed by the tax payer ie. her.

Protest all you like but setting fire to **** is just moronic.

**** cancel culture too. All these pathetic actors not doing their roles now because they aren't the same skin colour. Why stop at skin colour? If we're going to use such arbitrary measures of who can and can't do acting of people that don't share things like skin colour, why not extend this to redheads? Only red heads can voice red heads. Only left handed people can portray left-handed people.

Actors in general are dopes, particularly the rich out of touch ones. Trying make a difference with their dim-witted sanctimonious pseudo logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,807 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Psst. It’s back up with a 4 minute foreword

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

All in favour of skipping the foreword...?

...and that has made all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A forward...LOL

That kinda reminds me of those "You wouldn't steal a car" things they had in front of DVD's years ago.

Fucking dumb and nobody gave a crap and just fast forwarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Tony EH wrote: »
    A forward...LOL

That kinda reminds me of those "You wouldn't steal a car" things they had in front of DVD's years ago.

Ah that brings back memories, brief memories because as you say it was always fast forwarded.

Anyway, thank god for the 4 minute foreword for Gone With The Wind, I'd have had no idea slavery was bad only for the foreword!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Speaking about Gone with The Wind

It is Olivia de Havilland 104th birthday today.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000014/
    I wonder what her thoughts are, on her Movie

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What this will actually lead to is a rise in piracy as people go looking for the original uncensored versions (where things have been cut or edited) or simply because the platforms have decided that we need to be protected from these things now :rolleyes:

Remember when the Maud Flanders character was mocked in the Simpsons? Now she'd be running the town

Welcome aboard. I haven't bought anything since 2013.

Welcome aboard. I haven't bought anything since 2013.

Can’t get away with that shyte anymore now that I’m back in the states. Even local ISPs hound you. Fiancé torrented Adams family values through VPN and the next day my Internet was off, when I called to complain they knew what the file was from where and when, and unlike an overseas ISP they are at gunpoint here from the DMCA. So, that was the end of my piracy days, to think it was Adams family that did it. That still tickles us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    That's kinda scary.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

What about Audio Books?
    I'm currently getting through "Dark Rose" Irish accents are atrocious, i persevered though the first hour and its a good story.
    If movie visual depictions of ethnicity are taboo , why not terrible accents?

The 1953 animated movie Peter Pan also carries a disclaimer on the Disney+ streaming service, warning the film “may contain outdated cultural depictions”.

according to buzz.ie, it "has often been criticised for a scene in which Peter and Wendy come across a group of tribesmen who call themselves Indians. And the characters then talk in broken English before The Lost Boys ask them, "What makes the red man red?” and, “Why does he ask you, How?’ "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Overheal wrote: »
    Psst. It’s back up with a 4 minute foreword

Great so a victory for normal people.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Can’t get away with that shyte anymore now that I’m back in the states. Even local ISPs hound you. Fiancé torrented Adams family values through VPN and the next day my Internet was off, when I called to complain they knew what the file was from where and when, and unlike an overseas ISP they are at gunpoint here from the DMCA. So, that was the end of my piracy days, to think it was Adams family that did it. That still tickles us.

Seems odd with a VPN.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Tony EH wrote: »
    A forward...LOL

You wouldn't steal a car......

Yeah, but I'd totally download one if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Seems odd with a VPN.

Today they call everything VPN. Could be say an Android app that uses some kind of tunneling.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Today they call everything VPN. Could be say an Android app that uses some kind of tunneling.

Its become the most overused word when often its just DNS redirection or something else silly.

In the older days it was so much easier to explain to clients 'its a secure tunnel to your corporate network allowing you to access resources'

now its 'BuT My SoN SaW aN aD fOr NoRdVpN oN YoUtUbE HoW iS iT DiFfErEnt'

Was a VPN though, I’m not retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Olivia De Havilland has died.
    Probably the end of the Hollywood Golden Age now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gael23 wrote: »

I googled her recently. Could not believe she was still alive. That’s some life. All she has lived through!

• Advertisement

Was a VPN though, I’m not retarded.

Yeah, but still, any decent VPN it should be impossible for your ISP to detect your downloading a film due to the encryption and redirection of traffic. The file you downloaded must have contained a tracer to ping back your real IP to the ISP once the VPN disconnected or something. Say you were annoyed. Particularly since it is a bit of a disappointment of a film.

Back on topic...

RIP

104, what an age and life to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Gael23 wrote: »

I googled her recently. Could not believe she was still alive. That’s some life. All she has lived through!

Has anyone noticed whether ANY TV station in these islands, especially the widely available terrestrial ones, has screened Gone With the Wind in the days following the death of its longest surviving star?

It's a travesty if they haven't.

HBO Max Adds Disclaimer to Mel Brooks’ Blazing Saddles

Just as she did for Gone with the Wind, TCM's Jacqueline Stewart contextualizes the comedy classic

...film buffs might be asking if something that is so clearly a comedic satire really needs a disclaimer. Then again, as The Waco Kid put it, “You gotta remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land, the common clay of the New West. You know, morons.”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/08/hbo-max-mel-brooks-blazing-saddles-disclaimer/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

HBO Max Adds Disclaimer to Mel Brooks’ Blazing Saddles

Just as she did for Gone with the Wind, TCM's Jacqueline Stewart contextualizes the comedy classic

...film buffs might be asking if something that is so clearly a comedic satire really needs a disclaimer. Then again, as The Waco Kid put it, “You gotta remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land, the common clay of the New West. You know, morons.”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/08/hbo-max-mel-brooks-blazing-saddles-disclaimer/

It will be banned in the coming years....

Just heard a warning of 'cultural themes reflective of their time' or however it was worded on RTE before Roots came on,

This was after they showed the Saturday Night Movie, Gladiator....

Although, having said that, I've heard the word N****r more times in the last five minutes than I did in the 5 years before that

The Office is the latest show to fall victim to this trend...

Viewers familiar with one of the country’s most popular shows watching a Sunday marathon on Comedy Central noticed that there was an episode missing from the rotation.

The episode ‘Diversity Day’ was omitted.

The episode features the characters of the show with index cards on their heads of different races and cultures. The goal is for the others to help make them guess what’s on their forehead, and of course, stereotypes come into play.

Ironically, the event in the show is a racial diversity seminar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thank fûck for the bells in Blazing Saddles.... they’ll probably try canceling it anyway as the term was ‘implied’

Advertisement