Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gone with the Wind Cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

2u2me wrote: »
    I'm objecting to how much censorship happened on the internet during that time.

what sort of things, genuine question I don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

joe40 wrote: »
    what sort of things, genuine question I don't know

Basically anyone that was arguing against the lockdown restrictions. That interview with the 2 doctors was a good example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Every country in the world has a problem with racism. While it's terrible, I don't think it can be eliminated. It's like crime, you will have to do what you can to reduce it and punish those that commit it but you'll never completely eliminate crime. It's the same with racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Basically anyone that was arguing against the lockdown restrictions.

and all the 5G stuff that was censored as well.... :rolleyes:

and all the 5G stuff that was censored as well.... :rolleyes:

You cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat.

Meaning the freedom of speech is also the freedom to be wrong. The freedom to be rebutted. What if the censorship was wrong? You have Fauci now in the US admitting that they recommended against mask use because they had a shortage.

I'm not happy with being told what's good for me for my own good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Skin whitening is A RACISM!
    “Conversations over the past few weeks highlighted that some product names or claims on our Neutrogena and Clean & Clear dark-spot reducer products represent fairness or white as better than your own unique skin tone,”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/business/johnson-and-johnson-skin-whitening-cream.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is fake tan racist too?

These crafty women have been using subtle blackface all these years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Michael Jackson has been spotted wearing blackface in his childhood.No one is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Lol, Things are going peak sensitive, what a crap time to live in.
    517009.jpg

What the fcuk? Is it offensive to Xenomorphs? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat.

Meaning the freedom of speech is also the freedom to be wrong. The freedom to be rebutted. What if the censorship was wrong? You have Fauci now in the US admitting that they recommended against mask use because they had a shortage.

I'm not happy with being told what's good for me for my own good.

Can't really get behind that "US" conception of freedom of speech (or indeed freedom in general).

A toddler like "freedom" to do exactly what I like and say what I want + fcuk everyone else and the horse they rode in on.

I don't believe in any absolute freedom to spread lies, bollox, conspiracies, and pseudoscience + pass them off as truth (around issues like public health in particular).

L'oreal must have transition year students in the charge of their PR relations too.

Munroe Bergdorf made history in 2017 when she was hired as the face of a L'Oréal U.K. campaign, making her the brand's first transgender model. Bergdorf rehired at L'Oréal, 3 years after being fired over white supremacy comments.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/munroe-bergdorf-rehired-l-or-al-3-years-after-being-n1228376

The Titan Who Founded L’Oréal, Eugène Schueller, Prospered Under the Nazis, fell in with the Nazi-sympathizers of German-occupied France and emerged from the war as successful as ever.
    Schueller was also connected with notorious German official Helmut Knochen, the commander of police and security for the SS intelligence service. Actively involved in the deportation of French Jews to the Nazi death camps, Knochen was also responsible for the execution of several thousand French Resistance members and civilian hostages. Interrogated by French intelligence services after the war, he listed Schueller among his “voluntary collaborators.” In 1947, French investigators discovered a list of 45 “agents of Knochen.” Among them: “E. Schueller. Businessman.”

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/titan-who-founded-loreal-built-his-brand-shoulders-nazis-180964805/

Own goal from L'Oreal

kowloon wrote: »
    What the fcuk? Is it offensive to Xenomorphs? :confused:

yeah, its extremely xenophobic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

L'oreal must have transition year students in the charge of their PR relations too.

Munroe Bergdorf made history in 2017 when she was hired as the face of a L'Oréal U.K. campaign, making her the brand's first transgender model. Bergdorf rehired at L'Oréal, 3 years after being fired over white supremacy comments.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/munroe-bergdorf-rehired-l-or-al-3-years-after-being-n1228376

The Titan Who Founded L’Oréal, Eugène Schueller, Prospered Under the Nazis, fell in with the Nazi-sympathizers of German-occupied France and emerged from the war as successful as ever.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/titan-who-founded-loreal-built-his-brand-shoulders-nazis-180964805/

Own goal from L'Oreal

They still have Amber Heard on their books...you know, the one who has allegedly s##t on her husbands bed, chopped off the top of his finger, physically abused him on multiple occasions....then painted bruises on her face and got a court to grant her a restraining order...which would go on to cost her husband $millions in lost revenue.

A right bunch of charmers working in that company alright!!!

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Can't really get behind that "US" conception of freedom of speech (or indeed freedom in general).

A toddler like "freedom" to do exactly what I like and say what I want + fcuk everyone else and the horse they rode in on.

I don't believe in any absolute freedom to spread lies, bollox, conspiracies, and pseudoscience + pass them off as truth (around issues like public health in particular).

It seems you have identified a problem with people free to speak their mind and opinion.

What about the unintended consequences of removing the freedom to one's opinion and the freedom to express it; have you considered those?

Which is worse?

They still have Amber Heard on their books...you know, the one who has allegedly s##t on her husbands bed, chopped off the top of his finger, physically abused him on multiple occasions....then painted bruises on her face and got a court to grant her a restraining order...which would go on to cost her husband $millions in lost revenue.

A right bunch of charmers working in that company alright!!!

#BelieveHer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Free speech is free speech, end of. I wholeheartedly subscribe to the Noam Chomsky view on that. You are either for it or against it.

Into the bargain, you don't combat "lies, bollox, conspiracies, and pseudoscience" by banning or censoring it. You combat it by better speech. Besides, in order to determine what the above is, there would need to be a body that stands in determination of such things and that can be manipulated and distorted.

Remember, just a few short decades ago, people were called "pseudoscientists" for discussing Darwin's evolutionary principles.

Being against free speech in its purist form means that you set up a trap whereby the speech you agree with may one day be considered worthy of censorship by other parties interested in pushing the opposite view.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Free speech is free speech, end of. I wholeheartedly subscribe to the Noam Chomsky view on that. You are either for it or against it.

Into the bargain, you don't combat "lies, bollox, conspiracies, and pseudoscience" by banning or censoring it. You combat it by better speech. Besides, in order to determine what the above is, there would need to be a body that stands in determination of such things and that can be manipulated and distorted.

Remember, just a few short decades ago, people were called "pseudoscientists" for discussing Darwin's evolutionary principles.

Being against free speech in its purist form means that you set up a trap whereby the speech you agree with may one day be considered worthy of censorship by other parties interested in pushing the opposite view.

I 99% agree, the one objection would be hate speech promoting terrorism. I know that is hard to define but I don't think the right to free speech should be absolutely unlimited.

Otherwise I agree, the best way to counter opinions you disagree with is better arguments.

I 99% agree, the one objection would be hate speech promoting terrorism. I know that is hard to define but I don't think the right to free speech should be absolutely unlimited.

Otherwise I agree, the best way to counter opinions you disagree with is better arguments.

That's breaking the law, however, because it's promoting violence. This has nothing to do with free speech and the exchange of ideas.

Anyone saying that people should be killed because of a set of beliefs they have is running afoul of the law, not the concept of free speech.

That's breaking the law, however, because it's promoting violence. This has nothing to do with free speech and the exchange of ideas.

Anyone saying that people should be killed because of a set of beliefs they have is running afoul of the law, not the concept of free speech.

The problem is defining exactly what constitutes hate speech.

• Advertisement

I think there are objective facts/truth and lies although it seems to me sometimes that people are less and less willing to believe that any more. You cannot beat back such lies with just "better (?) speech" if the liars are permitted the biggest megaphones and platforms available, have lots of money and buy experts in human psychology to help them craft their messages.

You take a very idealistic viewpoint that no country implements in full, not even the freedom loving USA afaik where spreading lies about people or organisations can still sometimes get you your soapbox taken away + you sued occassionally if the subject has the money/resources/will.

In all countries, even our democracies with alot of freedom of speech there are various bodies effectively making that sort of determination (re facts/truth and lies) each day or trying to in general good faith to the best of current available knowledge, the state, profesional organisations, various experts, the legal system etc.

This is all perhaps tangential to the subject of corporate censorship/restrictions on art and entertainment which is more the subject of the thread I think...so probably should have kept my "speech" to myself in this case!
    It seems you have identified a problem with people free to speak their mind and opinion.

What about the unintended consequences of removing the freedom to one's opinion and the freedom to express it; have you considered those?

Which is worse?

I'm undecided. Think many democracies are getting a live demonstration over last few years of the huge damage very well funded and crafted lies spread about under rubrik of absolute "free speech" can do.

I think there are objective facts/truth and lies although it seems to me sometimes that people are less and less willing to believe that any more. You cannot beat back such lies with just "better (?) speech" if the liars are permitted the biggest megaphones and platforms available, have lots of money and buy experts in human psychology to help them craft their messages.

You don't beat anything with censorship. That will just drive things underground, regardless of the content. Into the bargain, it makes it desirable to seek out as well.
    You take a very idealistic viewpoint that no country implements in full, not even the freedom loving USA afaik where spreading lies about people or organisations can still sometimes get you your soapbox taken away + you sued occassionally if the subject has the money/resources/will.

It's pragmatic. It has to be absolute. Because you free speech you like today may be the target of someone else in the future and you'll find that the ideas you agree with under attack. In fact, look to the past and there's a good chance that you see theories and ideas that you support the target of those they disagreed with.

What you are talking about with "spreading lies about people or organisations" is law breaking. Defamation and slander are not free speech and are subject to prosecution.
    In all countries, even our democracies with alot of freedom of speech there are various bodies effectively making that sort of determination (re facts/truth and lies) each day or trying to in general good faith to the best of current available knowledge, the state, profesional organisations, various experts, the legal system etc.

They are. But doesn't necessarily make them correct or even desirable. Such bodies will have to be taken on a case by case basis.

It still doesn't change the fact that free speech has to be applied evenly, for the reasons I've already said.
    This is all perhaps tangential to the subject of corporate censorship/restrictions on art and entertainment which is more the subject of the thread I think...so probably should have kept my "speech" to myself in this case!

It probably is and in any case, corporate entities are free to impose whatever censorship they please regarding the product they have in their bag of wears. A business, any business, is free to decide what they want to allow and what to restrict and as a private enterprise, nobody has a leg to stand on in opposition to that in any real terms.

Free speech doesn't exist in the private, corporate, world. It never has.
    I'm undecided. Think many democracies are getting a live demonstration over last few years of the huge damage very well funded and crafted lies spread about under rubrik of absolute "free speech" can do.

It would be remiss of me to suggest that there a no problems with free speech. But they are less problematic than the issues that arise with censorship, because I'll repeat, one day the censor will be silencing things you believe and hold dear.

Hate speech is a catch all term that doesn't really mean anything, or rather it means what people want it to mean.

A man doing a joke video with his pug dog was considered 'hate speech'.

It's pragmatic. It has to be absolute. Because you free speech you like today may be the target of someone else in the future and you'll find that the ideas you agree with under attack. In fact, look to the past and there's a good chance that you see theories and ideas that you support the target of those they disagreed with.

What you are talking about with "spreading lies about people or organisations" is law breaking. Defamation and slander are not free speech and are subject to prosecution.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but there seems to be an implicit contradiction there. Laws are just a codified/agreed morality and there are laws against defamation because of the harm it can do.
    Such laws mean in practice that freedom of speech is not "absolute" and you may be punished pretty harshly for publishing something defamatory which is of course a restriction on speech. The case is I think similar to "hate speech" mentioned above.
    I'd be of the opinion that certain other speech should be illegal also. I probably draw the line in a different place to you.
    They are. But doesn't necessarily make them correct or even desirable. Such bodies will have to be taken on a case by case basis.

It is better than a free for all world without them IMO where equal weight is given to coronavirus conspiracy theorist with the bully pulpit of social media & alot of followers to disseminate his "free speech", and a government health agency.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but there seems to be an implicit contradiction there. Laws are just a codified/agreed morality and there are laws against defamation because of the harm it can do.
    Such laws mean in practice that freedom of speech is not "absolute" and you may be punished pretty harshly for publishing something defamatory which is of course a restriction on speech. The case is I think similar to "hate speech" mentioned above.
    I'd be of the opinion that certain other speech should be illegal also. I probably draw the line in a different place to you.

The likes of defamation laws are fairly easy to write up though and such laws don't infringe upon the freedom of people to exchange ideas in general. Deliberate slander and defamation clearly cross over and away from freedom of speech in discussion and are quite a different prospect.

Laws against people's beliefs, as they stand at the point time and no matter how absurd one might think they are, are not. That opens up not only a can of worms, but a whole factory making them.

In addition, defamation is also usually rather easy to spot, or at least eventually spot.

Again though, I am not saying that freedom of speech is gloriously free of any problematic areas. Such freedoms generally do carry an element of risk. But as I said earlier those problems are of a far less impact than having a situation where speech is subject to a censor, because censors change.

it caused offence at the time, i know Bill Paxton was a good actor, but he could be pure cringe sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Silence of the lambs, apparently its Transphobic , buffalo bill is problematic in todays SJW world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Has there ever been a time in human history when so many useless people gained so much influence? In the 90's/00s..crusties and hippies were often jeered but they were harmless. People didn't pay much attention to them. It was as much a passing phase as being into punk/ metal..etc..

" If you're not a leftie in your twenties, you have no heart. If you're a leftie in your 40s you have no brain ( or work for a media company that needs to signal virtue to keep advertisers happy ) "

A poignant story out of the US - An Antifa/ BLM protestor got nabbed by the FBI for throwing a molotov cocktail at a police car.

What struck me from the article was how pretty this person was in her (presumably ) mid-twenties. Then, disaster strikes...she gets caught up in a militant left cult. At the age of 33 she is barely recognizable...very overweight, crude tattoos,..hair unkempt. What happened to her?

Actually quite sad to see because it represents so many of those protestors. Their issues are more personal than external and they cant see it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11896821/lore-elisabeth-blumenthal-floyd-george-cops-car-fire/

Biker79 wrote: »

What struck me from the article was how pretty this person was in her (presumably ) mid-twenties. Then, disaster strikes...she gets caught up in a militant left cult. At the age of 33 she is barely recognizable...very overweight, crude tattoos,..hair unkempt. What happened to her?

Actually quite sad to see because it represents so many of those protestors. Their issues are more personal than external and they cant see it.
    Leftisim! Not even once, more dangerous than heroin
    See mouldylocks for the perfect example of the lefist mind virus in action, sad.

• Advertisement

da_miser wrote: »
    Silence of the lambs, apparently its Transphobic , buffalo bill is problematic in todays SJW world.

Why because buffalo bill portrays mentally ill murdering psychopath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

and the bigger problem is how our government would decide that is by forming a quango and filling it with people with experience working in quangos, those people tend to be of a political and moral bias against hearing hard truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Biker79 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a time in human history when so many useless people gained so much influence? In the 90's/00s..crusties and hippies were often jeered but they were harmless. People didn't pay much attention to them. It was as much a passing phase as being into punk/ metal..etc..

" If you're not a leftie in your twenties, you have no heart. If you're a leftie in your 40s you have no brain ( or work for a media company that needs to signal virtue to keep advertisers happy ) "

A poignant story out of the US - An Antifa/ BLM protestor got nabbed by the FBI for throwing a molotov cocktail at a police car.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11896821/lore-elisabeth-blumenthal-floyd-george-cops-car-fire/

People like her are so low IQ. She's a working woman that presumably pays taxes. Does she not realise the bill for setting police cars is going to be footed by the tax payer ie. her.

Protest all you like but setting fire to **** is just moronic.

**** cancel culture too. All these pathetic actors not doing their roles now because they aren't the same skin colour. Why stop at skin colour? If we're going to use such arbitrary measures of who can and can't do acting of people that don't share things like skin colour, why not extend this to redheads? Only red heads can voice red heads. Only left handed people can portray left-handed people.

Actors in general are dopes, particularly the rich out of touch ones. Trying make a difference with their dim-witted sanctimonious pseudo logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,096 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Psst. It’s back up with a 4 minute foreword

All in favour of skipping the foreword...?

...and that has made all the difference.

A forward...LOL

That kinda reminds me of those "You wouldn't steal a car" things they had in front of DVD's years ago.

Fucking dumb and nobody gave a crap and just fast forwarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

A forward...LOL

That kinda reminds me of those "You wouldn't steal a car" things they had in front of DVD's years ago.

Ah that brings back memories, brief memories because as you say it was always fast forwarded.

Anyway, thank god for the 4 minute foreword for Gone With The Wind, I'd have had no idea slavery was bad only for the foreword!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Speaking about Gone with The Wind

It is Olivia de Havilland 104th birthday today.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000014/
    I wonder what her thoughts are, on her Movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What this will actually lead to is a rise in piracy as people go looking for the original uncensored versions (where things have been cut or edited) or simply because the platforms have decided that we need to be protected from these things now :rolleyes:

Remember when the Maud Flanders character was mocked in the Simpsons? Now she'd be running the town

Welcome aboard. I haven't bought anything since 2013.

Welcome aboard. I haven't bought anything since 2013.

Can’t get away with that shyte anymore now that I’m back in the states. Even local ISPs hound you. Fiancé torrented Adams family values through VPN and the next day my Internet was off, when I called to complain they knew what the file was from where and when, and unlike an overseas ISP they are at gunpoint here from the DMCA. So, that was the end of my piracy days, to think it was Adams family that did it. That still tickles us.

^
    That's kinda scary.

:pac:

• Advertisement

What about Audio Books?
    I'm currently getting through "Dark Rose" Irish accents are atrocious, i persevered though the first hour and its a good story.
    If movie visual depictions of ethnicity are taboo , why not terrible accents?

The 1953 animated movie Peter Pan also carries a disclaimer on the Disney+ streaming service, warning the film “may contain outdated cultural depictions”.

according to buzz.ie, it "has often been criticised for a scene in which Peter and Wendy come across a group of tribesmen who call themselves Indians. And the characters then talk in broken English before The Lost Boys ask them, "What makes the red man red?” and, “Why does he ask you, How?’ "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Overheal wrote: »
    Psst. It’s back up with a 4 minute foreword

Great so a victory for normal people.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Overheal wrote: »
    Can’t get away with that shyte anymore now that I’m back in the states. Even local ISPs hound you. Fiancé torrented Adams family values through VPN and the next day my Internet was off, when I called to complain they knew what the file was from where and when, and unlike an overseas ISP they are at gunpoint here from the DMCA. So, that was the end of my piracy days, to think it was Adams family that did it. That still tickles us.

Seems odd with a VPN.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A forward...LOL

You wouldn't steal a car......

Yeah, but I'd totally download one if possible

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Seems odd with a VPN.

Today they call everything VPN. Could be say an Android app that uses some kind of tunneling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Today they call everything VPN. Could be say an Android app that uses some kind of tunneling.

Its become the most overused word when often its just DNS redirection or something else silly.

In the older days it was so much easier to explain to clients 'its a secure tunnel to your corporate network allowing you to access resources'

now its 'BuT My SoN SaW aN aD fOr NoRdVpN oN YoUtUbE HoW iS iT DiFfErEnt'

Was a VPN though, I’m not retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Olivia De Havilland has died.
    Probably the end of the Hollywood Golden Age now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gael23 wrote: »
    Olivia De Havilland has died.
    Probably the end of the Hollywood Golden Age now?

I googled her recently. Could not believe she was still alive. That’s some life. All she has lived through!

• Advertisement
Advertisement