Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MrAbyss wrote: »
    It is starting to look like the most hucksterish election in Irish history. I am half waiting for one of them saying they will move Ireland down to off the coast of Portugal for better summers at this point.

Reminds me of the famous story of FF telling people they were going to drain the Shannon and give up the new land to farmers for free.

I think the FF give-away election record must be the 1977 GE where FF abolished domestic rates (that killed local Gov) and abolished Motor tax (which came back again - quelle surprise).

FF offering SSIA scheme for first time buyers, and one FF candidate scrapping Metrolink (O'Callaghan). Promises, promises. Hopefully the Metrolink will go the way of most election promises.

By the way, draining the Shannon was an election promise in every election in the thirties, forties, fifties and sixties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I think the FF give-away election record must be the 1977 GE where FF abolished domestic rates (that killed local Gov) and abolished Motor tax (which came back again - quelle surprise).

FF offering SSIA scheme for first time buyers, and one FF candidate scrapping Metrolink (O'Callaghan). Promises, promises. Hopefully the Metrolink will go the way of most election promises.

By the way, draining the Shannon was an election promise in every election in the thirties, forties, fifties and sixties.

I've always heard this, but always assumed it was used in an "impossible goal" sense.

What was the plan? Just fill in the river? Or narrow it? What would the point be? Where would the watershed drainage go?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

salmocab wrote: »
    I would think aiming for a university isn’t a great idea, fine if it’s on the way somewhere else but to dig to a site that is only used fully for 9 months and even then the people going there aren’t necessarily going at the same times so don’t add as many commuter numbers at peak time.

they rent out the student residences in the summer, so still somewhat used, but yeah, you wouldnt have lectures taking place etc.

This new hundreds of millions enniscorthy bypass, whats the purpose of that? to make it quicker to hit the N11 congestion coming into and out of dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they rent out the student residences in the summer, so still somewhat used, but yeah, you wouldnt have lectures taking place etc.

The college is used 12 months of the year but it’s not like an industrial area or even airport with fairly constant commuting numbers all year. It seems like a silly place to purposely bring a line, if it was on the way to somewhere else it makes sense to have a stop there like with DCU but as a destination it’s a poor choice I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

I'm fairly sure the proposed UCD line would continue on to Booterstown to interchange with the DART.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: There are plenty of threads on impossible election promises. Can we keep this thread as per title - Swords to Charlemont Metrolink.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Wouldnt believe anything FG saying on transport, they dont have the guile to deliver any major transport infrastructure. No thanks i wont be voting for the Leo Blow in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I've just trawled through the Fianna Fail manifesto, there is not a single mention of Metro north.

Just to get Dart underground going again and look into Metro south.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

I'm not an FG fan, and there are others parties that would get my first, second and maybe third preference. But I will consider throwing them a vote as opposed to FF to reduce any risk to MetroLink. If we have TBMs in the ground come next election, and FF are the only ones talking of Dart UG, I'll do it the other way round then.

ncounties wrote: »
    I'm not an FG fan, and there are others parties that would get my first, second and maybe third preference. But I will consider throwing them a vote as opposed to FF to reduce any risk to MetroLink. If we have TBMs in the ground come next election, and FF are the only ones talking of Dart UG, I'll do it the other way round then.

yeah one of the key things that swung me reluctantly voting FG , is FF wanting to scupper plans years in the making, re-inventing the wheel, after decades of doing it , after needing these projects decades ago! Not a decade minimum away :rolleyes:

Believe me, if given the chance, they will scupper current projects or run the economy off the cliff again, before TBM are in the ground :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

yeah one of the key things that swung me reluctantly voting FG , is FF wanting to scupper plans years in the making, re-inventing the wheel, after decades of doing it , after needing these projects decades ago! Not a decade minimum away :rolleyes:

Believe me, if given the chance, they will scupper current projects or run the economy off the cliff again, before TBM are in the ground :rolleyes:

While their achievements on public transport last time weren't the greatest hopefully the Greens will up their numbers a bit and be needed to make up a coalition and insist that some of these projects go ahead.

dam099 wrote: »
    While their achievements on public transport last time weren't the greatest hopefully the Greens will up their numbers a bit and be needed to make up a coalition and insist that some of these projects go ahead.

sure it was eamon ryan wanting to get the crayons out again. The best chance of getting this built, is FG staying the biggest party

I'm no fan of Eamon (and his crayons), but the Green's are the party that will be getting my number one preference (Neasa). It was great the focus that their success in the Local Elections put on public transport infrastructure, and I hope this leads to even further success in this GE. Which will hopefully result in all parties sitting up and taking public transport (and cycling/pedestrian) infrastructure seriously. Obviously I am realistic and don't think their success will impact on FG's position as the largest party though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This is my ideal scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

sure it was eamon ryan wanting to get the crayons out again. The best chance of getting this built, is FG staying the biggest party

Like most things. I'm finding the other parties manifestos frankly terrifying. Lavishing more money we don't have on Welfare and Health with zero eye to building up the national infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I'm no fan of Eamon (and his crayons), but the Green's are the party that will be getting my number one preference (Neasa). It was great the focus that their success in the Local Elections put on public transport infrastructure, and I hope this leads to even further success in this GE. Which will hopefully result in all parties sitting up and taking public transport (and cycling/pedestrian) infrastructure seriously. Obviously I am realistic and don't think their success will impact on FG's position as the largest party though.

So I was planning on voting Green Party no1 and possibly fg no 2 (as let’s face it one of fg or ff will get in and fg are supposed to be a bit more financially astute- nch aside), as I like their transport policies and general message of Improving city living etc, and then I read this:
    https://politics.ie/threads/greens-call-for-end-of-tax-veto.273487/page-3

Wtf is this about!! How could a party supposedly acting on Ireland’s behalf, look to give away a veto on setting our own corporation tax rate.
    If our 12.5% goes we’re knackered I imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

tom1ie wrote: »
    So I was planning on voting Green Party no1 and possibly fg no 2 (as let’s face it one of fg or ff will get in and fg are supposed to be a bit more financially astute- nch aside), as I like their transport policies and general message of Improving city living etc, and then I read this:
    https://politics.ie/threads/greens-call-for-end-of-tax-veto.273487/page-3

Wtf is this about!! How could a party supposedly acting on Ireland’s behalf, look to give away a veto on setting our own corporation tax rate.
    If our 12.5% goes we’re knackered I imagine.

off topic but that would reduce our carbon emission by killing the economy. This is also an attack upon our national sovereignty. AND TO BRING THIS BACK ON TOPIC...this is why I won't vote for the Greens based on their platitudes towards rail and public transport. Those are merely hooks their main objective is European Federalism.

Ryan's crayons regarding the Green Line upgrade takes on a whole other angle of 'sabotage' rather than crayon-ism when you examine the Green 'watermelon' agenda for the hidden Marxism it is. Honestly, you would be better off voting FF or FG if you want the metro than the Greens.

(my apology mods - it is tragically hard to separate politics from engineering on this subject)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

MrAbyss wrote: »
    off topic but that would reduce our carbon emission by killing the economy. This is also an attack upon our national sovereignty. AND TO BRING THIS BACK ON TOPIC...this is why I won't vote for the Greens based on their platitudes towards rail and public transport. Those are merely hooks their main objective is European Federalism.

Ryan's crayons regarding the Green Line upgrade takes on a whole other angle of 'sabotage' rather than crayon-ism when you examine the Green 'watermelon' agenda for the hidden Marxism it is. Honestly, you would be better off voting FF or FG if you want the metro than the Greens.

(my apology mods - it is tragically hard to separate politics from engineering on this subject)

Sorry for bringing this off topic it’s just I got a shock when I found out about this and I thought people on here who might vote green on the basis of their strong pt ethos, should know about what they are at in Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Eamonn Ryan is an opponent of metro so - as far as this thread is concerned - he shouldn’t get a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eamonn Ryan is an opponent of metro so - as far as this thread is concerned - he shouldn’t get a vote.
    Opponent of the Ranelagh-Cherrywood route, so "as far of this thread is concerned", no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Good god I hate election time.

road_high wrote: »
    Like most things. I'm finding the other parties manifestos frankly terrifying. Lavishing more money we don't have on Welfare and Health with zero eye to building up the national infrastructure.

housing is now a black hole too and the pensions time bomb is comedy! Yet like the titanic, they want to race full speed into the iceberg! I just hope to god, the dublin metro and to a far lesser extent M20 are under construction if / when **** hits the fan again. Dart underground, I wish, but probably highly unlikely. Given that the greens will do well in dublin, Ill be voting FG and Greens. non of the current parties, will never sort issues in health etc, but transport is an easy one to fix...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

housing is now a black hole too and the pensions time bomb is comedy! Yet like the titanic, they want to race full speed into the iceberg! I just hope to god, the dublin metro and to a far lesser extent M20 are under construction if / when **** hits the fan again. Dart underground, I wish, but probably highly unlikely. Given that the greens will do well in dublin, Ill be voting FG and Greens. non of the current parties, will never sort issues in health etc, but transport is an easy one to fix...

If politicians want to sort out the pension situation, let them show leadership by changing their own pensions.

(Sorry for going OT).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

Summary of party manifestos (or other supporting info) relating to the Metro in this thread:

Fianna Fail:
    • https://www.fiannafail.ie/the-time-has-come-for-a-more-suitable-and-comprehensive-metrolink-south-plan-ff/
    • "Jim O’Callaghan and the party’s Spokesperson on Dublin, John Lahart TD jointly raised the proposed scrapping of MetroLink South and the detrimental impact being inflicted on homeowners in parts of South Dublin residents by other transport plans for the area."
    • “For the obvious reasons I would be pleased if this plan is scrapped so that I could strongly advocate for a MetroLink/LUAS plan that actually benefits the majority of commuters in South County Dublin” he concluded.

Fine Gael:

Green Party:
    • https://www.greenparty.ie/campaigns/ge2020-public-transport-first/
    • We will also progress various other infrastructure projects such as the construction of the Metro North from North of Swords to the South of Ranelagh Luas station and initiate an immediate review of the three options for extending the Metro further South from there.

Independents 4 Change: Info?

Labour party:
    People before Profit:
    Sinn Fein: TBC (Possibly today?)

Social Democrats:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Hold my nose and vote FG it is then.

Summary of party manifestos (or other supporting info) relating to the Metro in this thread:

Fianna Fail:

Does this mean that Metro Link (North) would be safe in it's current form under FF?

I wouldnt care what FF say, wait until the well runs dry and if its dublin metro or more PS spending, there will only be one clear winner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

Does this mean that Metro Link (North) would be safe in it's current form under FF?

I've updated the quote - I think they are referring to the connection on the south side alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't think so. The manifesto doesn't mention Metro Link/North at all, yet it does refer to other current initiatives like the Greenways plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Keep an eye on this thread
    https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1221058756353699840

Advertisement